Has anybody gone from an iPhone 6/6s to the Priv simply because of wanting to come back to a BlackBerry device? If you have...as objectively as you can, please compare your feelings about the switch...and your likes/dislikes.

Thanks!
    03-12-16 09:35 AM
    To me an iPhone is the phone to buy if you want no hassles, no issues, 3+ years of support and a phone whose majority of issues can be solved by pressing a circular button below the screen.

However, on the iPhone I dislike that everything is two or 3 years behind in terms of specs. Oh and I won't forget that Apple does crazy stuff like it's own cords and removing features just to force people to buy 3rd party stuff. Oh and the prices.

BlackBerry has always had me, before the Curve with the silver ring around the trackball, I had the HTC Dream/G1 and random flip phones. I've always liked physical keyboards.

I've grown to like BlackBerry, even if former CEO's didn't catch up with times or didn't believe another os would overthrow them.
    lang007 likes this.
    03-12-16 09:41 AM
    I just came from iphone 6s and I think I am happy now but just waiting for marshmallow and after handling priv I love Hub I think centralisation of messages and email are very important after some days now I am loving it. Just want more faster and good battery. More important is quick reply likely BlackBerry 10 and want blink same it was I think BlackBerry should work more more and really more....

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    03-12-16 09:58 AM
    To me an iPhone is the phone to buy if you want no hassles, no issues, 3+ years of support and a phone whose majority of issues can be solved by pressing a circular button below the screen.

However, on the iPhone I dislike that everything is two or 3 years behind in terms of specs. Oh and I won't forget that Apple does crazy stuff like it's own cords and removing features just to force people to buy 3rd party stuff. Oh and the prices.

BlackBerry has always had me, before the Curve with the silver ring around the trackball, I had the HTC Dream/G1 and random flip phones. I've always liked physical keyboards.

I've grown to like BlackBerry, even if former CEO's didn't catch up with times or didn't believe another os would overthrow them.
    Sooo...is the Priv the phone to by if you DO wants hassles, issues, nonexistant support, and a phone whose majority of issues can't be solved without a hard reset or getting a replacement?
    crackberry_geek and raremage like this.
    03-12-16 10:31 AM
    Of course in crackberry ppl will always suggest BB.
    03-12-16 10:39 AM
    However, on the iPhone I dislike that everything is two or 3 years behind in terms of specs.
    3 years behind in specs? No it isn't... it has one of the most powerfull processors (toped almost all benchmarks), and has BY FAR the fastest storage of any phone (my more than double). Has less ram, but it manages way better than Android, and it feels like it has a lot more ram than Android.
    dejanh, ncted, jallister and 1 others like this.
    03-12-16 10:44 AM
    Of course in crackberry ppl will always suggest BB.
    Oh, believe me...I know I have to filter through fanboyism. It's like asking the same question on an iPhone site. The answers will tend to favor the brand that is represented. And, I was just playing with my answer above. I have a very warm heart for all things BlackBerry, and have quite a history of near-fanaticism myself. I just want some objectivity here...

I own an iPhone, but I'm looking very seriously at the Priv.
    03-12-16 11:05 AM
    I own both (6S Plus and Priv) and it really comes down to what your thoughts are on Android. The Priv is a nice device but like all phones has its issues. It has this massive battery but I don't get close to the battery life I get on iPhone 6S plus. I also don't think Android is as organized as iOS as you need to download a photo gallery app, a music playing app, etc as these types of things aren't included with Android (unless the manufacturer includes their own version.

I am not a fan of the Priv's physical keyboard. Its much too cramped and small for me to type on and I don't ever use it. The vkb is good but I also fine iOS's stock keyboard excellent. You can also download numerous keyboards for each which I'm sure you know.

Camera on the iPhone is better that the Priv both front and rear, low light, and also faster.

Priv has the hub so if you are crazy about that then its decent on the Priv but not really fully baked yet up to the BB10 levels it should be, this could always change with updates and has gotten better since launch.

Priv has expandable storage, iPhone doesn't.

Other than that it really comes down to which platform you prefer. The Priv is pretty close to stock Android so there's very little bloat. Overall its a nice Android phone but not nearly as nice as the 6P or the S7 (in my opinion) and Android isn't as refined as iOS (again my opinion). I think the most important thing to know here is that you are buying an Android phone and all that comes with owning an Android phone, which can be some good and some bad, like every other phone out there. Its still running Lollipop with no sign of Marshmallow in sight so take that for what its worth.
    JeepBB, dejanh, mokimoki and 1 others like this.
    03-12-16 11:15 AM
    I own both (6S Plus and Priv) and it really comes down to what your thoughts are on Android. The Priv is a nice device but like all phones has its issues. It has this massive battery but I don't get close to the battery life I get on iPhone 6S plus. I also don't think Android is as organized as iOS as you need to download a photo gallery app, a music playing app, etc as these types of things aren't included with Android (unless the manufacturer includes their own version.

I am not a fan of the Priv's physical keyboard. Its much too cramped and small for me to type on and I don't ever use it. The vkb is good but I also fine iOS's stock keyboard excellent. You can also download numerous keyboards for each which I'm sure you know.

Camera on the iPhone is better that the Priv both front and rear, low light, and also faster.

Priv has the hub so if you are crazy about that then its decent on the Priv but not really fully baked yet up to the BB10 levels it should be, this could always change with updates and has gotten better since launch.

Priv has expandable storage, iPhone doesn't.

Other than that it really comes down to which platform you prefer. The Priv is pretty close to stock Android so there's very little bloat. Overall its a nice Android phone but not nearly as nice as the 6P or the S7 (in my opinion) and Android isn't as refined as iOS (again my opinion). I think the most important thing to know here is that you are buying an Android phone and all that comes with owning an Android phone, which can be some good and some bad, like every other phone out there. Its still running Lollipop with no sign of Marshmallow in sight so take that for what its worth.
    Now THAT'S objectivity.

Thanks, man. I'm going to have another look at the Priv after work this evening at my handy-dandy VZW store, and I'll either walk out with or without one!
    mokimoki likes this.
    03-12-16 12:00 PM
    I had a i4, i4s, and i5s, and went to Droid after that. There is no question that you can get an android phone for nearly half the price with expandable storage that will run just as well as any iPhone and can go toe-to-toe with camera, storage speed, etc. The narrative that android is some wild, unstable dumpster fire died with Jellybean.

With nearly equal pricing with the Priv, it's a little trickier. For me the PKB gimmick beats the force touch gimmick. iPhones are boring to me, and the fact that they're basically made with the bones of brutalized Chinese workers creates a big morality issue for me as well.
    03-12-16 01:18 PM

You know what there is much more to say about iPhone.

1. in order to transfer ANYTHING to iPhone iTunes needs to be installed on a computer

2. You want to browse the Internet and have same experience as on android. Well this will not happen on ios because firefox and chrome are skinned versions of safari because apple would not approve it any other way

3. You want pebble or fitbit forget it on ios because again apple puts idiotic libations

There is much more to say about apple and why. Would not buy iPhone even if it was cheaper.

I just despise company which put so many limitations on such expensive product.

Apple has more games and seems to have a little bit better quality apps than android but frankly android is so much more versatile.

As to quality of product I do not feel apple makes any better products than blackberry. I had several blackberry phones and I never had to replace phone. However blackberry phone can take serious abuse and still be functional.

will308 and Acumenight like this.
    03-12-16 01:43 PM
    Really didn't mean this thread to be a vehicle to bash the iPhone. Lots of other threads that will give you that opportunity...in fact, there have been for the last 10-years or so!

I am thankful that the Android bashers have been classy enough to stay clear of having to go there.
    03-12-16 02:35 PM
    Now THAT'S objectivity.

Thanks, man. I'm going to have another look at the Priv after work this evening at my handy-dandy VZW store, and I'll either walk out with or without one!
    Just remember, the darn tethering at the store really stilts comfortable handling and testing. Also, when I first tested it at AT&T, I was completely thrown off by the UI and Android. And the Hub is hard to test if there are no accounts set up on it. I was coming from the Z30.

Have fun.
    03-12-16 02:46 PM
    Also don't forget iPhone 's accessories options are much much better than Priv.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2339
    03-12-16 03:16 PM

1. in order to transfer ANYTHING to iPhone iTunes needs to be installed on a computer

2. You want to browse the Internet and have same experience as on android. Well this will not happen on ios because firefox and chrome are skinned versions of safari because apple would not approve it any other way

3. You want pebble or fitbit forget it on ios because again apple puts idiotic libations

There is much more to say about apple and why. Would not buy iPhone even if it was cheaper.

Apple has more games and seems to have a little bit better quality apps than android but frankly android is so much more versatile.

As to quality of product I do not feel apple makes any better products than blackberry. I had several blackberry phones and I never had to replace phone. However blackberry phone can take serious abuse and still be functional.

2. Why would you want to have the same browsing experience on iOS as you do on Android. That doesn't make much sense to me. We browsing on ios9 is excellent on Safari and Chrome on Android is garbage in my opinion and I hate using it on the Priv.

3. Totally false.

Blackberry phones have always had quality control issues. Not to say that Apple doesn't either. But Apple's customer service is so far beyond the laughable service that Blackberry gives they aren't even comparable.

As far as your other points I'll respect your opinion there but they aren't fact based by any means.
    03-12-16 03:19 PM
    Sooo...is the Priv the phone to by if you DO wants hassles, issues, nonexistant support, and a phone whose majority of issues can't be solved without a hard reset or getting a replacement?
    Apple model does work BlackBerry will never be ina position like apple
    For me BlackBerry will never get my money again less than two years in with the passport is the end of the road with that device
    It has been such wasted opportunity
    I honestly see the same thing happening for the PRIV
    With Samsung taking centre stage with Edge 7

Posted via CB10
    03-12-16 03:53 PM
    I would agree with just about all that has been said here with respect to comparisons. I would say that I have had just as many hardware issues with iPhonew and BlackBerrys. It really came down to iPhone being too locked down for me and that dreaded iTunes interface. That drives me nuts. Also, from a software standpoint, I actually prefer BlackBerry OS over any other. My latest gen iPad has lag, in many Web pages or forms, I have a very difficult time getting the cursor to reposition properly and most of the time I have to delete everything just to get back to a mistake early in the text , and I find android to be a general chaotic mess.

Having said all that, I migrated to the Priv as I thought I would give it a chance. I returned the first one as I just could not adjust. A friend talked me into a second try and this time, urged to to really immerse myself into it. I did and have to say, I now like it. I don't know if I would like a Samsung although I have to say the new S7 Edge is darn sexy. I like the BlackBerry experience that seems to be slowly growing on the Priv following each update. I will continue to stick with it and BlackBerry for as long as I can.

For me, communication is key and that, BlackBerry has down pat. Their keyboards, both virtual and physical are the best ( I could never get my iphone to stop autocorrecting my last name to something stupid, all BlackBerry's seem to learn it after three entries).

The Priv 's battery does leave a lot to be desired but no phone has been able to keep up with in that regard.

So, BlackBerry for me.

will308 likes this.
    03-12-16 03:57 PM
    I've never had an iPhone, but I can say that I still love my z30. Great all round phone and it beats the priv in some areas like sound and battery life. The bb10 hub is amazing compared to the Android version. Since I really only use the hub for email, it isn't as big an issue for me as it is for some that use it for ALL of their messaging. I have never had a phone with a pkb before this and I'm actually liking it. All in all , so far I'm willing to say priv has enough BlackBerry in it to take some of the sting out of having to go back to android. I wish bb10 had a future, but since it doesn't, I'm not sorry I chose priv to go back to android. Bb10 flows so much better but it is what it is and I hope BlackBerry can keep making android better.

Posted with my shiny new Priv
    03-12-16 04:09 PM

More games on iPhone... not necessarily.

I rune several emulators for Nintendo, SNES, and SEGA. Huge amount of games, little to no space on a friggin 2TB SD card.

The SD size alone won me, or heck the fact I can expand. Get an iPhone and you're stuck with 16 64 or 128.

AND......itunes sucks. I've always hated it. And if you forget or choose not to update the phone, you'll start to lose app support.

Ask anyone running a 4s, there isn't any at all I believe at all due to its age. You can pick up an android running honeycomb or jelly bean and still find apps for it.

Even legacy stuff like Winamp which fell years ago. Find or store an apk and you can instal it forever essentially.

Iphones are good for people who want something to work well out the box and then for whatever apple thinks you want to run it for. That's the problem. Apple thinking for you.

I come from a long line of jailbreakers back in the 3g (3.0.1) days. By the time I kept up with software updates and upgrading from 3g to 4 to 4s, everything I wanted on the iPhone android already did and did it better.

will308 likes this.
    03-12-16 05:46 PM
    3 years behind in specs? No it isn't... it has one of the most powerfull processors (toped almost all benchmarks), and has BY FAR the fastest storage of any phone (my more than double). Has less ram, but it manages way better than Android, and it feels like it has a lot more ram than Android.
    Isn't the UFS 2.0 storage introduced last year in the S6 faster? And aren't the processor benchmarks skewed since they're being run on screens at significantly less resolution than the comparative Android devices?

Not that any of that actually matters in real world usage, my phones have been as fast as any iPhone for years. Spec chasing stopped a few years ago.
    asublimeday likes this.
    03-12-16 11:35 PM
    Coming from BlackBerry one would assume you are security conscious. Android has more holes than swiss cheese and if you are using any other device than a Priv or a Nexus you are putting yourself at risk. Remember, you have your banking apps on your phone now.
    Beating Expectations: Android Security Patching for PRIV | Inside BlackBerry

While it is true that Android is steadily improving and was fully usable by Jellybean I am done with Android for now. Looking at the iPhone SE to replace my Q10 (with a heavy heart).
    03-13-16 04:30 AM
    Never had any BlackBerry run out of system memory because we turned off cable Internet like my wife's ickphone. She couldn't even make a call with it

Posted via CB10
    03-13-16 08:22 AM
    And operating system that the only thing it does is copying android features left and right
    Don't forget from top to bottom also

Posted via CB10
    03-13-16 08:27 AM
    Isn't the UFS 2.0 storage introduced last year in the S6 faster? And aren't the processor benchmarks skewed since they're being run on screens at significantly less resolution than the comparative Android devices?

Not that any of that actually matters in real world usage, my phones have been as fast as any iPhone for years. Spec chasing stopped a few years ago.
    No, not even the even the S7 gets close to iphone 6s storage. In real world usage it matters if you are messing around with large files, or big amounts of files. A way of testing this is for example to go tu a big photo gallery. In my Priv for example, if I go the (crappy) photo gallery and open "device folders", it takes a few seconds to load up the images. It's as important as having a fast memory card in your phone, it depends on the task

From iPhone 6s to Priv.-80589.png

From iPhone 6s to Priv.-80590.png
    03-13-16 11:50 AM
    ​Closed for cleanup.
    03-13-16 12:46 PM
63 123