11-08-15 09:49 PM
48 12
tools
    In particular, chronicles discussions with Google, and the influence of Ron Louks resulting in the birth of Priv.

Inside BlackBerry's last-ditch plan to win you back with Android - CNET

Enjoy...
    wincyUt, cgk, BigAl_BB9900 and 6 others like this.
    11-02-15 10:17 AM
    Interesting CNET Article on BlackBerry's Relationship With Android-img_20151102_112009.png
    More importantly, AT&T getting the Priv first? Not a US wide deployment from all carriers?

Posted via CB10
    Deanig_12 likes this.
    11-02-15 10:21 AM
    Interesting article on the road to Android .
    11-02-15 10:22 AM
    The interesting part of that phrase is "all of which have agreed to help market the Priv."
    11-02-15 10:23 AM
    There was a reason for the don't-blink-or-you'll-miss-it cameo: The device was little more than a mockup, with a backlight used to simulate an active screen. If you looked at it too closely, the BlackBerry 10 home screen was visible, but Android was nowhere to be found.
    Confirmation, eight months later, that the devices shown at CES were little more than led flashlights. Remember all of the debate about why the icons were blown out and colorless, why his thumbs were in the middle of the screen, and why the search icon was cut off at the top? Then, of course, people said they were working prototypes running BB10 so it could't take 8 months to launch the slider.

If the Priv was his project then they were never intended to run BB10. It's amazing to see that Ron Louks was meeting with Google about an Android BlackBerry at CES 2014, even before the Z3 was launched.
    Last edited by early2bed; 11-02-15 at 10:49 AM.
    LazyEvul, sully_p, jmr1015 and 2 others like this.
    11-02-15 10:37 AM
    Confirmation, eight months later, that the devices shown at CES were little more than led flashlights. Remember all of the debate about why the icons were blown out and colorless, why his thumbs were in the middle of the screen, and why the search icon was cut off at the top? Then, of course, people said they were working prototypes running BB10 so it could't take 8 months to launch the slider.

If the Priv was his project then they were never intended to run BB10. It's amazing to see that Ron Louks was meeting with Google about an Android BlackBerry at CES 2014, even before the Z3 was launched.
    Yep.....
    11-02-15 10:50 AM

How long do you guys think something like that takes? I figured it was before that. These types of things take years my friends. You have lawyers, logistics, R&D.... it goes on and on.

Posted via CB10
    Mr4aces likes this.
    11-02-15 12:12 PM
    I'm surprised there isn't a lot more interest in this article/interview. Among the revelations is that an Android phone wasn't necessarily John Chen's idea and that BlackBerry management had to be convinced it was a good idea. It goes a long way towards explaining the soft launch - the Priv may have been given the green-light but not the $100M ad campaign to go along with it.
    11-02-15 12:25 PM
    Yep, certainly would provide an explanation as to why we appear to have a polished product in hardware terms, but with rushed BlackBerry apps and advertising that's had little or no thought process (or expenditure).

Posted via CB10
    11-02-15 12:27 PM
    Really interesting article - all you need to know about the future of BB10 is that nearly two years ago in his first few days the head of devices and services makes it his priority to try and secure android.
    11-02-15 12:39 PM
    So perhaps it was Louks and not Chen, but still I called it close enough:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe.../#post12027994

When you stop leading with emotion and "what I want BlackBerry to do" it is clear this has been their plan for a couple of years.
    cgk likes this.
    11-02-15 12:44 PM
    Very interesting, thanks for sharing!

Sent from my BlackBerry Passport
    11-02-15 07:14 PM
    If anything is going to sink this phone it's the price.
    Hate to admit it but moving to android was a good move. BlackBerry cannot sustain developing their own OS and building their own phones. Only one company can and that's Apple.

Posted via CB10
    11-02-15 08:54 PM
    Ha, my takeaway is that Louks is lazy.

Posted via CB10
    11-02-15 09:05 PM
    Interesting.

SECURED to the CORE RedBerryan PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2639 from Malaysia
    11-02-15 09:29 PM
    It seems Chen isn't the one who wanted to kill BlackBerry 10 from Day one, it was Louis. Sounds like he setup the passport and classic to fail so that he could make his android phone and Chen finally gave in because what other choice did he have at that point?

Posted via BlackBerry Passport Silver Edition
    z3user and FF22 like this.
    11-02-15 09:48 PM
    It seems Chen isn't the one who wanted to kill BlackBerry 10 from Day one, it was Louis. Sounds like he setup the passport and classic to fail so that he could make his android phone and Chen finally gave in because what other choice did he have at that point?

Posted via BlackBerry Passport Silver Edition
    How did he set up the passport and classic to fail?
    11-02-15 09:50 PM
    Was just about to ask the same...
    MO3iusONE and LazyEvul like this.
    11-02-15 09:52 PM
    Fascinating article. Thanks OP. Good insight into what they've really been thinking for the past 2 years.

I keep coming back to the fact that the Priv is the right idea but a number of years too late. Let's see if it can get any market traction (we'll know soon enough!) but the CNET audience comments don't seem encouraging. Seems many people have sadly written off Blackberry at this point.
    11-02-15 09:56 PM
    Fascinating article. Thanks OP. Good insight into what they've really been thinking for the past 2 years.

I keep coming back to the fact that the Priv is the right idea but a number of years too late. Let's see if it can get any market traction (we'll know soon enough!) but the CNET audience comments don't seem encouraging. Seems many people have sadly written off Blackberry at this point.
    Nothing much different from the same folks who have been proclaiming the death of BlackBerry since 2010. You'll have the same set of disgruntled ex fan boys on any platform. Really, why should anyone give a sh it what they think.
    11-02-15 11:06 PM
    Priv has a good potential to become one classy desirable phone among the sea of Ip and Sammy commoners. Brand image is important.
    To succeed, Chen and Louks must play it right
    11-02-15 11:50 PM
    So perhaps it was Louks and not Chen, but still I called it close enough:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe.../#post12027994

When you stop leading with emotion and "what I want BlackBerry to do" it is clear this has been their plan for a couple of years.
    Yes you did.

"Good leaders surround themselves", remember!

Just part of being a CEO running a billion dollar company!

I am rolling on the floor and smiling!

See it takes more than a year to make this change!

Right or wrong BlackBerry didn't follow.

Naysayers and Wannabes can go play Monopoly till Christmas.

PIN 2COF829A
    11-03-15 12:26 AM
    If anything is going to sink this phone it's the price.
    Hate to admit it but moving to android was a good move. BlackBerry cannot sustain developing their own OS and building their own phones. Only one company can and that's Apple.

Posted via CB10
    Oh please!

We've had enough postings about pricing. This thread is not about the pricing. So please don't make it that so it allows all the naysayers in that won't buy any phone over $200.

It's about the conception! Read and join the vision

PIN 2COF829A
    11-03-15 12:32 AM
    Do you really think a CEO would want to setup the Passport and Classic to fail?

Really!

Open and insert

PIN 2COF829A
    11-03-15 12:37 AM
    Oh please!

We've had enough postings about pricing. This thread is not about the pricing. So please don't make it that so it allows all the naysayers in that won't buy any phone over $200.

It's about the conception! Read and join the vision

PIN 2COF829A
    $700 android phone. Seems odd.

Posted via CB10
    11-03-15 06:56 AM
48 12