03-04-16 02:24 AM
    Market share = Devs Making Apps

If you make a New OS, you either have to have all the apps, to get market share or you just have to fail.

Back when BBos was at the top, people didn't care about apps. Only when iOS did, did they start. But at that point, android was coming out and it took off because of apps.

BB10, Windows Phone, WebOS, Tizen. They all lack apps, and without those, they had no hope of surviving.

Even if you pump billions into your phone (Microsoft) and advertising, you'll still just fail if you do not have Netflix, Snapchat, Twitter, Instagram, and any app that the big guys do not have. No Amount of marketing can save your OS, if you do not have the software people want.

I LOVED BB10, but when I got the HTC M9 I immediately knew why people would sacrifice something good, for a ton of software.
    pomidor and 00stryder like this.
    03-04-16 02:42 AM
    It's true no amount of marketing will overcome the lack of apps. Nobody cares how cool the OS is they just want everything to work out of the box.
    03-04-16 02:59 AM
    Eventually, this forum will consist of five people talking about how they don't care about apps.
    03-04-16 03:20 AM
    This is an interesting phenomenon. Android handsets outsell iOS by a huge margin, but iOS handsets and apps make way more revenue.
    03-04-16 09:03 AM
    Eventually, this forum will consist of five people talking about how they don't care about apps.
    .......and 5 others, mocking those 5.
    03-04-16 09:05 AM
    Market share = Devs Making Apps

If you make a New OS, you either have to have all the apps, to get market share or you just have to fail.

Back when BBos was at the top, people didn't care about apps. Only when iOS did, did they start. But at that point, android was coming out and it took off because of apps.

BB10, Windows Phone, WebOS, Tizen. They all lack apps, and without those, they had no hope of surviving.

Even if you pump billions into your phone (Microsoft) and advertising, you'll still just fail if you do not have Netflix, Snapchat, Twitter, Instagram, and any app that the big guys do not have. No Amount of marketing can save your OS, if you do not have the software people want.

I LOVED BB10, but when I got the HTC M9 I immediately knew why people would sacrifice something good, for a ton of software.
    Well said and unfortunately is not only the apps of the big players that people need but also the apps from different organizations related with their private and business life.

I know friends that they have abandon BlackBerry just because the school of their kids have develop an app to follow progress of the children , or missed the the app of the air company they use , stock market apps , company's apps etc and the list is endless.

. And as we can all imagine all these apps they were developed ONLY for Android and IOS ....
    00stryder and jaydee5799 like this.
    03-04-16 02:12 PM
    This all just sucks for creativity in the end. There's room for way more than just 2 top players in the market, as far as iOS and Android go. It would be awesome if there were at least like 5 top OS and apps were created under standards that ensured their availability on every platform.

Whatever though, this is the world we live in I guess, so I will just stick with BlackBerry and whatever "business decisions" they have to make within this environment. Just as long as BlackBerry continues building and securing their awesome devices.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    03-04-16 02:37 PM
    Yeah I mean why do you need apps anyway everything can be done in a browser right
    03-04-16 02:43 PM
    Oh man... the memories of BlackBerry back in the day...
    03-04-16 02:47 PM
    This all just sucks for creativity in the end. There's room for way more than just 2 top players in the market, as far as iOS and Android go. It would be awesome if there were at least like 5 top OS and apps were created under standards that ensured their availability on every platform.
    I think developers are glad that they don't have to create five different versions of each app just because you want a better selection of mobile platforms to choose from.
    StephanieMaks, FF22 and fanisk like this.
    03-04-16 02:49 PM
    This is an interesting phenomenon. Android handsets outsell iOS by a huge margin, but iOS handsets and apps make way more revenue.
    Not a phenomenon - Apple takes in 90% of the world's mobile phone profit because they control their hardware and the app store that runs on it.
    03-04-16 02:59 PM
    I think developers are glad that they don't have to create five different versions of each app just because you want a better selection of mobile platforms to choose from.

But why should they have to develop their app for 5 platforms. Why not use a standard such as HTML5. This would benefit all of us. Dev's apps can be available for any platform and more platforms can exist giving the consumer or enterprise the choice. This healthy competition forces innovation and better pricing for the end user.

Not sure how to change the paradigm right now, can only think of legislation but that would be a nightmare if trying to do so globally. ....

Posted via CB10
    03-04-16 03:06 PM
    But why should they have to develop their app for 5 platforms. Why not use a standard such as HTML5. This would benefit all of us. Dev's apps can be available for any platform and more platforms can exist giving the consumer or enterprise the choice. This healthy competition forces innovation and better pricing for the end user.

Not sure how to change the paradigm right now, can only think of legislation but that would be a nightmare if trying to do so globally. ....

Posted via CB10
    Why would Apple or Google want to give up their competitive advantage? They spent billions developing their respective ecosystems.

Native apps are much better because of device optimization and integration.
    StephanieMaks likes this.
    03-04-16 03:19 PM
    Why would Apple or Google want to give up their competitive advantage? They spent billions developing their respective ecosystems.

Native apps are much better because of device optimization and integration.
    Agree on point 1 but device optimization? Android Dev's already have a ton of shapes and sizes to deal with. Would this be any different. Simply specify minimum RAM and processing power and other required specs like camera ability etc for a particular app and you can download this app?

Wishful thinking perhaps...

Posted via CB10
    03-04-16 03:42 PM
    Not a phenomenon - Apple takes in 90% of the world's mobile phone profit because they control their hardware and the app store that runs on it.
    Yet phenomenally, people continue to buy their hardware and apps from their app store.
    03-04-16 04:18 PM
    Yeah I mean why do you need apps anyway everything can be done in a browser right
    The funny thing is, that's how most people use their PCs now. I don't think my sister ever opened any application other than Firefox on her laptop.
    03-05-16 04:22 PM

When a company like Apple develops something like Touch ID or Apple Pay or Car Play or the Apple Watch, they want to exploit it as quickly as possible by adding the functionality to their SDK and allowing developers to integrate it, ideally before the hardware is actually released. Is Apple supposed to take these things to the HTML5 committee to decide how they are going to be integrated into cross-platform apps, first?

Look at how long it's taken to develop USB-C. iOS devices have had either-orientation connectors, now, for years but most of us have no USB-C devices and will be doing the hit or miss thing with our USB cables for years to come. Thanks, standardization!

Some of the simplest tools in our lives like nuts and bolts were never standardized. Why should I have to have both metric and US wrenches and tear up bolts trying to figure it out? Fix that one and then move to apps.
    03-05-16 04:39 PM