DTEK by BlackBerry reporting the operating system has been comprised

Pending when I looked, 15:15 EST but supposed to be published soon.
    Thanks for heads up, thankfully BlackBerry at least acknowledged that this phenomenon is worth KB article and so it really could be a false positive .

I also won't factory reset and I'm now even less convinced that my system is really compromised.
    11-16-16 04:35 PM
    I manage a large number of Privs and DTEKs, and I have never experienced this issue. Let's keep this in perspective.
    Have you checked the DTEK status on all of them? This is not a one off, many people are reporting this. Who knows how many people are affected and simply don't know because they don't check the app?
    11-16-16 04:36 PM
    Have you checked the DTEK status on all of them? This is not a one off, many people are reporting this. Who knows how many people are affected and simply don't know because they don't check the app?
    I have, yes. No issues. Not even one.
    john_v and zephyr613 like this.
    11-16-16 04:45 PM
    I hope that new Android specific KB article doesn't report a final "solution" as the BB10 counterpart:

http://support.blackberry.com/kb/art...mber=000037017

"We don't know what our algorithm is doing and it can act false, but only fix is to factory reset your device. Hey and admins this function is badly implemented so please just set your systems to "report" as you would bug your costumers falsely perhaps" -‣ WHAAAAT
    11-16-16 05:02 PM
    I have, yes. No issues. Not even one.
    Well, I didn't either until today. 11 months after I got the Priv.
    11-16-16 05:11 PM
    If it failed a checksum, the OS has been compromised. Plain and simple.

One can argue whether the particular change is minor or major, but it is what it is.

DTEK60 / Z30
    Shouldn't a secure smartphone be able to keep the OS from being compromised in the first place? Something like.... "oh, you want to change a core element of the OS? Sorry, not going to allow that. Install denied."

There is no point in reporting after the fact. That's like a virus scanner saying you have a virus and your system is compromised and not blocking it in the first place. Oh, and to make matters worse, "we won't tell you what the virus is, or allow you to remove it. The only way to get back to business is to wipe your hard drive and reinstall Windows."

Sounds like DTEK is pretty useless.
    FF22, gizmo21 and bluesqueen23 like this.
    11-16-16 05:45 PM

Sounds like DTEK is pretty useless.
    Name another device where you would even know you have been compromised.

Its slick way to find out what permissions are being used by what apps is also impressive.

The type of Orwellian oversight that you would need to prevent and/or precisely determine a particular code change would grind your system to an absolute halt.
    11-16-16 05:55 PM
    Name another device where you would even know you have been compromised.

Its slick way to find out what permissions are being used by what apps is also impressive.

The type of Orwellian oversight that you would need to prevent and/or precisely determine a particular code change would grind your system to an absolute halt.
    Hmmm.... how come BB10 can't be compromised. Ever. It doesn't even need DTEK.
    FF22 likes this.
    11-16-16 06:00 PM
    Never happened on bb10.... just sayin.

Posted via CB10
    11-16-16 06:02 PM
    Hmmm.... how come BB10 can't be compromised. Ever. It doesn't even need DTEK.
    We really don't know. There aren't millions of people every day trying to compromise BB10. Security through obscurity.

And if BB10 was compromised, we probably wouldn't know until the next boot.
    11-16-16 06:05 PM
    We really don't know. There aren't millions of people every day trying to compromise BB10. Security through obscurity.

And if BB10 was compromised, we probably wouldn't know until the next boot.
    But there has never been a compromised or hacked BB10 device, ever. I'm just concerned that a simple new app installation can break an OS. It seems unbelievable.
    11-16-16 06:09 PM
    But there has never been a compromised or hacked BB10 device, ever. I'm just concerned that a simple new app installation can break an OS. It seems unbelievable.
    But that isn't established with this case. It seems to be a false positive due to a software glitch. BlackBerry is looking into it, and will probably update the app shortly on Google Play.
    11-16-16 06:10 PM
    But that isn't established with this case. It seems to be a false positive due to a software glitch. BlackBerry is looking into it, and will probably update the app shortly on Google Play.
    I hope so. It looks like Bla1ze wrote a post on the main page about it.
    11-16-16 06:11 PM
    This really needs to be on BB's HOT LIST for a fix. Either the detection is flawed and scaring people or the phone is too easily compromised while being called secure.

In addition, the process to wipe and reload is not clear. No one knows what is being backed up and restored fully. Being forced to rely on the Cloud makes some people feel that is also a security flaw. Better tools are needed and information of what is really happening is necessary.
    EXACTLY!! I've had BB's for 7+ years. Each one had all my info transferred from one to the next. I'm not comfortable backing up my info to the "cloud" and not know exactly what is going to be backed up. Don't wanna lose my 7yrs worth of wifi passwords lol. I tried using Helium to backup but couldn't get it to sync. The whole android backup process is a PITA and not user friendly. Even after backing up with any method how do you know everything was compatible with BB apps and was backed up? I can see where people say apple is a step ahead of android in some instances...
    Matt J and FF22 like this.
    11-16-16 06:17 PM
    EXACTLY!! I've had BB's for 7+ years. Each one had all my info transferred from one to the next. I'm not comfortable backing up my info to the "cloud" and not know exactly what is going to be backed up. Don't wanna lose my 7yrs worth of wifi passwords lol. I tried using Helium to backup but couldn't get it to sync. The whole android backup process is a PITA and not user friendly. Even after backing up with any method how do you know everything was compatible with BB apps and was backed up? I can see where people say apple is a step ahead of android in some instances...
    I have to QUOTE it in order the LIKE it. My Like Button no longer works.

I have no idea what's in the cloud or not. I used the autoloader to be my Verizon Priv updated and most stuff did not restore. My autotext was lost. Many apps had to be reinstalled. Most settings were gone. Now Dtek and BB expects one to blithely "Just WIPE the damn thing and waste another 3 or 4 hours at a minimum:!!!!!!!

This issue has been reported for a week, at least, Seriously, they are failing as a SOFTWARE company. And as the manufacturer of the most Secure Android devices.
    Matt J and DaBomb6988 like this.
    11-16-16 06:54 PM
    If it failed a checksum, the OS has been compromised. Plain and simple.

One can argue whether the particular change is minor or major, but it is what it is.

DTEK60 / Z30
    BlackBerry doesn't seem to think it's so simple.
    11-16-16 07:09 PM
    And as the manufacturer of the most Secure Android devices.
    Apparently not. If an app can rewrite the OS, my faith has been shaken. All my apps are mainstream.... downloaded from Google Play. No sideloading.
    11-16-16 07:13 PM
    Is everyone with this problem on a Verizon Priv that's been updated to AAHs.
    Not me.
    11-16-16 08:01 PM
    BlackBerry doesn't seem to think it's so simple.
    /blackberry-priv-f440/integrity-os-compromised-1091602/index4.html#post12669122
    11-16-16 08:08 PM
    Integrity of OS Compromised-1479351258478.jpg
    How you explain this? 'Device hardware'
    11-16-16 08:54 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1479351258478.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	37.3 KB 
ID:	412357
    How you explain this? 'Device hardware'
    Same message everyone else has.

Tl;dr... If it bothers you, then backup your device, factory reset and restore your backup.

Or

Close DTEK, put it somewhere where you can't see it and continue with your life.
    john_v and gizmo21 like this.
    11-16-16 08:58 PM
    Same message everyone else has.

Tl;dr... If it bothers you, then backup your device, factory reset and restore your backup.

Or

Close DTEK, put it somewhere where you can't see it and continue with your life.
    Not mine lol , I meant how you explain dtek stated you're not using BlackBerry devices, how can such as message possible?
    FF22 likes this.
    11-16-16 09:14 PM
    Not mine lol , I meant how you explain dtek stated you're not using BlackBerry devices, how can such as message possible?
    Ridiculous.
    FF22 likes this.
    11-16-16 09:16 PM
    I'm not a developer or anything but the hardware message leads me to think it's an app issue and not an actual OS compromise.

But that's just my two cents...
    Uzi likes this.
    11-16-16 09:28 PM
    Not that ridiculous as one could transfer the DTEK app to an standard android device (like cobalt did with the whole suite) that has not the hardware baked in root of trust:

"BlackBerry�s Hardware Root of Trust, a unique manufacturing process that injects cryptographic keys into the device hardware, providing a secure foundation for the entire platform.

Verified Boot and Secure Bootchain, which uses the embedded keys to verify every layer of the device from hardware to OS to applications in order to make sure they haven�t been tampered with" taken from:
    http://blogs.blackberry.com/2015/10/...roid-platform/

But it is clearly a false-positive if such a message is shown on a BlackBerry device.
    11-16-16 09:29 PM
169 ... 23456 ...