I don't ever do any type of reviews of anything, so I thought I would just write a few impressions of mine, and why from an Android user perspective I don't feel as if it is more productive for me. I want to preface this post by saying that I am sure that the Hub on BB10 blows this out of the water with the way it is integrated into the entire OS. I truly wanted to give all of the Blackberry software a fair shake, and I feel 5 days or so is enough for me to write my opinions.

I think the main reason why many BB10 converts want/need to use the Hub because it is what they are familiar with. The idea is great. Have all your social media messages/emails in one spot that you can access in one place. The issue I have is, as an Android user, that place is my notification shade. I found that I have no need to go to the Hub to check all my messages when I always naturally check them, dismiss them, archive them, delete them, etc from my notification tray.

Now, if there would be a way that they could figure out a way to send texts, do things with social media, and everything from within the app, this could change my view of it. However in Android, it just doesn't work that way. The Hub is just an app, and one that doesn't do anything better than my Gmail/Messenger/Phone app.

These are the things that bothered me and is the reason why I am probably going to go back to using my old Android apps.
    -The inability to archive Gmail emails.
    -When I delete a message from the lockscreen it automatically unlocks my phone.
    -When I file an email to a different folder, it stays in the hub. I have to filter out unread emails to get it off of there.
    -When I delete a text message in the Hub, it deletes in my main app too. I tried checking delete on Hub only, but it still does this. I just want to dismiss the message out of my hub.
    -To delete an email from my Android Wear watch, I have to swipe to the right three times. Would love to be like Gmail where it is one swipe then delete.

Bottom line, the Hub is fantastic on BB10 I am sure, but this is Android. What makes it great on BB10 is having everything accessible in one place, but Android already has that built in. A majority of people that get notifications deal with them when they check their phone through the notification tray. No need to open an app to dismiss it there. Feels redundant. I honestly will keep the hub active so that I can see a timeline of my texts and phone calls in one place, but I think I will be moving back to the Gmail app. The great thing is, in Android its ok. Android is about choice. You don't like what's on your phone, you have the choice to go find a better solution. I know it's different, but if Android is new to you, just give it time and you will enjoy the ability to choose as well.
    11-17-15 10:27 AM
    The issue I have is, as an Android user, that place is my notification shade. I found that I have no need to go to the Hub to check all my messages when I always naturally check them, dismiss them, archive them, delete them, etc from my notification tray.

Now, if there would be a way that they could figure out a way to send texts, do things with social media, and everything from within the app, this could change my view of it. However in Android, it just doesn't work that way. .
    OMG! My point of view exactly! Been a BB gurl for 7 years and then BOOM! Along comes my first Android phone and I think the notifications are better than the hub! I can read, answer and dismiss. I don't even miss the hub anymore.

I also agree that if more people gave it a chance, they might like it too!
    GPuba likes this.
    11-17-15 10:35 AM
    Same here. I'm also coming at this as an Android user who is interested in the Priv mainly due to the PKB and mostly stock Android experience. I admit I have zero experience with the Hub on BB10 but to me, I'm way more productive when I'm organized and having everything throw together in one place, to me at least, isn't organized at all. I like that the notification shade has each category grouped together. If I want to respond to email it opens the email app and I do my thing. When I want to respond to a text, same deal, the app opens and I type away. I'm totally not getting why everyone seems so afraid of apps opening?? I rather like that an app designed to do one thing is generally going to do it better than an app trying to be a jack of all trades. Again I haven't tried the BB10 way of doing things so who knows, I might like it but I already know I like the Android notification system.
    russphil likes this.
    11-17-15 01:14 PM
    Nice to hear some Android converts coming over to the Priv. Use whatever makes you most productive and you enjoy. BB10 Hub is much better than the Android experience so far. It started the same on BB10 and BlackBerry say they are working to update it soon. It will get better. Loving the combination so far. It's better for us all!!

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    11-17-15 08:29 PM
    What I like about the Hub is that things stay there until I file them. Notifications on the Android panel go away once I read the email or whatever. The hub is a unified inbox. The notification panel is unread only, which is only a pinch away in the Hub.

In fact, you can easily configure the Hub to act like the Android notification panel and show only unread stuff. You can't configure the notification panel to act like the Hub.

That said, it's not a big deal for me at all. I can and do use both platforms without missing a beat.
    11-17-15 08:48 PM
    A lot of the problems you have described do not exist in the bb10 hub.

The android hub currently is a work-in-progress version, with greater technical limitations in the android sphere that I think will ultimately limit it's potential.

I don't expect you to understand why the hub is so good until you've used bb10.

My biggest complaints of androids notification shade are that:

- it really only shows unread things. Bb10 hub allows me to effortlessly find notifications and messages from any date regardless of whether they've been read.

- it has almost no filtering, priority, or search features. Bb10 hub has a plethora of these.

- almost if not all notifications require entering another app. In bb10 I don't have to open and close apps all day because I can remotely access them through the hub whenever I need to.

- it's annoying to have to reach up and swipe down with two fingers while with the hub the access can be done with one finger, and from the natural resting place of a person's hand (the bottom of the screen).

TLDR: you can't really truly understand the hub until you've used the bb10 version. IMHO stock android notification tray is messy, inefficient, and incapable.

Posted via CB10
    tmf06, kertong and AbsoluteT23 like this.
    11-17-15 08:49 PM
    Thanks for sharing. I do hope you get the chance to experience the BB10 Hub one day. At least to better understand why we BB10 users love it. Having used both OSes, I would say that the Hub is kind of like you notifications tray on steroids. Ideally, BlackBerry will allow users to direct notifications to either Hub or shade. At least allow things addressed in one to reflect that in the other. I am still getting used to *not* getting all my notifications in one place and dealing with them right there without requiring the loading of another app.

Either way, I hope more bb10 UI goodness at least becomes a viable option.

Proudly PRIVateering since 2015.
    11-17-15 09:05 PM
    FYI, deleting a Gmail from the Hub archives it. So Hub has archive.

11-17-15 09:22 PM
    What I like about the Hub is that things stay there until I file them. Notifications on the Android panel go away once I read the email or whatever. The hub is a unified inbox. The notification panel is unread only, which is only a pinch away in the Hub.

In fact, you can easily configure the Hub to act like the Android notification panel and show only unread stuff. You can't configure the notification panel to act like the Hub.

That said, it's not a big deal for me at all. I can and do use both platforms without missing a beat.
    I do like the fact that read files stay there, however, I can't figure out why when I file an email to a specific folder, it stays in the hub. Is there a way when I file it out of my inbox that it will also disappear from the hub?

Everyone has their own views on what makes them productive. The thought of everything in one place bugs my OCD. I like each part of my life/work separated into their sandbox. I do like the fact that I can put my social media outlets in one place, but I think I'm going to keep my email in my Gmail and use the Hub for just facebook and twitter. Maybe it's what I'm used to, but I just find myself even viewing my social media stuff from my notifications as opposed to the Hub, but its nice to have them there like you said after I have accessed them. I'm interested in seeing the Hub continue to grow and evolve. Hopefully at some point it can be my main email app as well.
    11-18-15 11:14 AM
    I think there are options for inbox folders.

I certainly know you can select which folders to sync...

Posted via CB10
    11-18-15 11:26 AM
    I think for BB10 users like me. The hub is indispensable! It not mere "a place for all your notifications " you need to see how it works and integrated to the total BlackBerry OS 10 experience.

The hub will get better on Android certainly. But hopefully soon.

Posted via CB10
    11-18-15 11:34 AM
    OP has a valid and reasonable view.

On BB10, there is no notification tray so the Hub acting both as a notification place and an unified inbox.

Coming to Android, it may feel redundant in some way. However, it has its own use. Imagine you have to respond to a customer on BBM, while you also have to look up some info such as restaurant address in an email, and possibly receiving another piece of info like restaurant phone number from a whatsapp colleague. BB10 Hub got you flowing through these quite easily. Android version of Hub definitely needs more work to show its best.

Posted via CB10
    Mayor McCheese likes this.
    11-18-15 11:52 AM
    I do like the fact that read files stay there, however, I can't figure out why when I file an email to a specific folder, it stays in the hub. Is there a way when I file it out of my inbox that it will also disappear from the hub?
    I assume you're talking about the Android Hub. On BB10, a filed email disappears from the Hub. If the Android Hub doesn't do this yet, they need to make that happen. Having filed emails persist in the Hub would really undermine its utility.

It's funny, in BBOS I tended not to use the "Messages" aggregator, the precursor to the Hub. I left email accounts and SMS with separate icons and didn't want to see everything in one big stack. But when I switched to BB10 I changed that behavior overnight. The only thing I didn't (and still don't) want to see in the Hub is phone calls. I quickly grew to appreciate having everything else there and being able to scroll through it all. I also found the ability to pinch to see only unread items very useful. And I liked the fact that I could choose whether or not to see Sent Items in the Hub. I really hope BlackBerry can get the Android version up to speed soon.
    11-19-15 12:30 PM
    Same here. I'm also coming at this as an Android user who is interested in the Priv mainly due to the PKB and mostly stock Android experience. I admit I have zero experience with the Hub on BB10 but to me, I'm way more productive when I'm organized and having everything throw together in one place, to me at least, isn't organized at all. I like that the notification shade has each category grouped together. If I want to respond to email it opens the email app and I do my thing. When I want to respond to a text, same deal, the app opens and I type away. I'm totally not getting why everyone seems so afraid of apps opening?? I rather like that an app designed to do one thing is generally going to do it better than an app trying to be a jack of all trades. Again I haven't tried the BB10 way of doing things so who knows, I might like it but I already know I like the Android notification system.
    The idea of the Hub on BB10 is to minimize the "in-and-out" design paradigm where users need to open, learn, and close different apps to communicate. So, on BB10, you can use the same UI to communicate in the same, always-on place, regardless of the app -- if you add Whatsapp it should work pretty much like BBM or text messages or whatever. Thanks to the BB10 SDK and API developers can add different services and unique platforms like instagram or Whatsapp or whatever while still giving users a uniform experience. It greatly reduces the learning curve and just flows. However, for platform-specific functionality, BB10 users can and do use dedicated stand-alone apps, as well.

This probably isn't a big issue on Android because part of the Android experience is kind of hacking together your workflow from various third party solutions. It often results in problems when one of the third party devs stops developing or introduces memory bleeds or you upgrade the OS and only some of your apps are supported, etc., but that's pretty much the paradigm offered by Android and to a lesser extent iOS, it's a paradigm that seems a little weak to me, but has proven to be successful in the marketplace. People don't mind learning new messaging interfaces and such... it seems.

The other issue with the Android hub is that just providing notifications in the hub for social messaging means we run into problems that go beyond user experience issues and enter into performance issues. With the hub on BB10 we don't duplicate as many resources to support new messaging services, they all share the same UI and key components. But, with notifications on Android, you need to either open an entirely different app to make changes, which will cause some performance delay on an encrypted system like the Priv -- almost all other Android OEMs have waited for Marshmallow to enable encryption because of the huge performance hit under Lollipop -- or you need to leave said apps open. Android stops them so there isn't that much toll on CPU, but there is on RAM. It's just a much more inefficient and elegant way to operate. In some ways this isn't a real world problem because the Priv has plenty of RAM and such, but it still feels kind of hacked together.

Frankly, if I were buying an Android phone and BlackBerry hadn't promised Blend and other improvements, the Nexus 6p from Huwai seems like a clearly superior choice because the elegance of BB10 is *not* going to be easy to transfer to Android. Right now, I kind of thing the BlackBerry apps are just for BlackBerry10 converts -- to ease the pain of the transition -- and not for Android users, at all. Android users might prefer to search in the Play store for other solutions.

Posted via CB10
    11-19-15 03:22 PM
    The idea of the Hub on BB10 is to minimize the "in-and-out" design paradigm where users need to open, learn, and close different apps to communicate. So, on BB10, you can use the same UI to communicate in the same, always-on place, regardless of the app -- if you add Whatsapp it should work pretty much like BBM or text messages or whatever. Thanks to the BB10 SDK and API developers can add different services and unique platforms like instagram or Whatsapp or whatever while still giving users a uniform experience. It greatly reduces the learning curve and just flows. However, for platform-specific functionality, BB10 users can and do use dedicated stand-alone apps, as well.

This probably isn't a big issue on Android because part of the Android experience is kind of hacking together your workflow from various third party solutions. It often results in problems when one of the third party devs stops developing or introduces memory bleeds or you upgrade the OS and only some of your apps are supported, etc., but that's pretty much the paradigm offered by Android and to a lesser extent iOS, it's a paradigm that seems a little weak to me, but has proven to be successful in the marketplace. People don't mind learning new messaging interfaces and such... it seems.

The other issue with the Android hub is that just providing notifications in the hub for social messaging means we run into problems that go beyond user experience issues and enter into performance issues. With the hub on BB10 we don't duplicate as many resources to support new messaging services, they all share the same UI and key components. But, with notifications on Android, you need to either open an entirely different app to make changes, which will cause some performance delay on an encrypted system like the Priv -- almost all other Android OEMs have waited for Marshmallow to enable encryption because of the huge performance hit under Lollipop -- or you need to leave said apps open. Android stops them so there isn't that much toll on CPU, but there is on RAM. It's just a much more inefficient and elegant way to operate. In some ways this isn't a real world problem because the Priv has plenty of RAM and such, but it still feels kind of hacked together.

Frankly, if I were buying an Android phone and BlackBerry hadn't promised Blend and other improvements, the Nexus 6p from Huwai seems like a clearly superior choice because the elegance of BB10 is *not* going to be easy to transfer to Android. Right now, I kind of thing the BlackBerry apps are just for BlackBerry10 converts -- to ease the pain of the transition -- and not for Android users, at all. Android users might prefer to search in the Play store for other solutions.

Posted via CB10
    Very well written post. I was so close to buying the 6p many times, having it in my cart even. Decided to want and check those out. Although the 6p is probably a bit better in most aspects, some of the things Blackberry did with the keyboard (physical and virtual) warrants the purchased over the 6p for me. It also helped that's I had an upgrade and could finance as opposed TN shelling out 600 immediately for the 6p.

11-19-15 03:47 PM