With Gmail it offers Push and sync intervals. Can I set the sync interval to Never since I have Push?

Might save battery.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    11-11-15 07:12 PM
    With Gmail it offers Push and sync intervals. Can I set the sync interval to Never since I have Push?

Might save battery.

Yes thats what I have done 5 gmail accounts on phone with PUSH
    11-11-15 07:13 PM
    Yes thats what I have done 5 gmail accounts on phone with PUSH
    And everything works perfectly?

11-11-15 07:15 PM
    And everything works perfectly?

Yes
    11-11-15 07:17 PM
    Yes
    Thanks. Changed.

11-11-15 08:35 PM
    Yes
    I have same questions. Sync "never"when in BlackBerry Hub ? It says if push is available. Is it? Not Gmail app (which sucks BTW)
    You still get emails?

This should help all on battery life

posted from my Priv!
    11-11-15 08:39 PM
    I have same questions. Sync "never"when in BlackBerry Hub ? It says if push is available. Is it? Not Gmail app (which sucks BTW)
    You still get emails?

This should help all on battery life

posted from my Priv!
    Yes it works.

11-11-15 08:45 PM
    Yes it works.

It works!

I think this needs to be advertised on here more .. It will help all with battery issues.

posted from my Priv!
    11-11-15 08:48 PM
    So set to Push?

Posted w/ Priv
    11-11-15 08:51 PM
    If I set it to NEVER, will it still sync my calendar and contacts tho?
    11-11-15 08:55 PM
    If I set it to NEVER, will it still sync my calendar and contacts tho?
    If you had that already set up when setting up account. You can still check though to see if calendar and contacts are set to Sync. Regardless set the one sync setting to Never instead of 15 minutes 30 minutes etc.
    Hopefully not wrong but it seems they are syncing and now I get emails instantly versus the sync time I had set prior.
    BlackBerry needs to default to NEVER or jus eliminate from settings....

posted from my Priv!
    Last edited by Pinot2015; 11-11-15 at 09:16 PM.
    11-11-15 09:00 PM
    I have a horse of a different colour. Any way to default so that same email client is use for outgoing emails unless I choose a different one ? I have 5 email accounts but one to use one of them for composition.

11-12-15 10:40 AM
    Even though the hub's push "sort of" works, something is definitely not right with it.
    "push" means instant, and the emails are not being pushed in realtime.

Test:
    Side by side with my old OnePlusTwo, there is a delay that goes from 30 seconds to 2 minutes for the Priv to receive the email the 1+2 already received.

Deleted the account from the Hub, tried the Gmail app, and it's real push - in less than 2 seconds, both phones received a test email.
    11-12-15 10:45 AM
    Even though the hub's push "sort of" works, something is definitely not right with it.

Test:
    Side by side with my old OnePlusTwo, there is a delay that goes from 30 seconds to 2 minutes for the Priv to receive the email the 1+2 already received.

Deleted the account from the Hub, tried the Gmail app, and it's real push - in less than 2 seconds, both phones received a test email.
    I assume all sync is set to Never ? In Hub, Android settings and double check in Google account app.
    I get instantly after doing all that.

Posted from my Priv!
    11-12-15 10:49 AM
    That's server-dependent folks.

IMAP push (and all other forms of push) rely on an open TCP channel being maintained to the server. IF THE SERVER DROPS IT UNANNOUNCED and worse, black-holes keep-alives then your client will not know that the connection disappeared out from under them (and thus it should set it back up.)

The problem from the server's perspective is that each open connection requires resource, and there's only so much resource. So you can't keep them around forever, but as people move around on a cell system the IP address changes and that forces close/reconnect cycles anyway.

In any event with a properly implemented system where the server is not intentionally ditching you both Exchange and IMAP are quite-capable of providing single-second response times to new emails, with the limiting factor being system load on the server end.

Key word here: properly

(I run my own infrastructure and have no problem with essentially instant response, no matter what the device is -- including the PRIV)
    11-12-15 11:16 AM
    That's server-dependent folks.

IMAP push (and all other forms of push) rely on an open TCP channel being maintained to the server. IF THE SERVER DROPS IT UNANNOUNCED and worse, black-holes keep-alives then your client will not know that the connection disappeared out from under them (and thus it should set it back up.)

The problem from the server's perspective is that each open connection requires resource, and there's only so much resource. So you can't keep them around forever, but as people move around on a cell system the IP address changes and that forces close/reconnect cycles anyway.

In any event with a properly implemented system where the server is not intentionally ditching you both Exchange and IMAP are quite-capable of providing single-second response times to new emails, with the limiting factor being system load on the server end.

Key word here: properly

(I run my own infrastructure and have no problem with essentially instant response, no matter what the device is -- including the PRIV)
    Assuming Push in "on". So do you then personally set sync to "Never" ?

Posted from my Priv!
    11-12-15 11:50 AM
    I set mine to push, sync to never, and shut off all notifications for Gmail so that the Hub is the only notification I get. That worked well for me - one gmail account, one outlook, one exchange account - all in the Hub.
    11-12-15 12:00 PM

Test:

So you are not using the hub to access your emails, correct? You are using the Gmail app?

11-12-15 12:09 PM
    Google respects Gmail, in short. Imap IDLE is the open standard (or Exchange for that matter); I am using exchange and emails show up very quickly (single-digit seconds.)

Again this isn't the phone, it's the service provider. The Hub doesn't use Gmail's proprietary stuff because it's not Gmail.
    11-12-15 12:24 PM