I can definitely understand your skepticism but I guess if the PRICE is right and the BOSS is purchasing the phone, then the keyboard is just possibly wasting space but not really an issue.
    I can see that individuals who work for an Enterprise may request a KEYone and that is probably the best that BlackBerry Mobile can hope for. In the recent past , BlackBerry devices were not even an option.

Will there be bulk orders for a PKB device with no track record for reliability and stability?

Yes, I am skeptical but that outcome would be a pleasant Surprise.

Maybe the fact that the KEYone is "late" is a good omen. The PRIV was not ready for prime time when it was released.
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 04-15-17 at 12:01 PM.
    FF22 and xandros9 like this.
    04-15-17 11:06 AM
    I can see that individuals who work for an Enterprise may request a KEYone and that is probably the best that BlackBerry Mobile can hope for. In the recent past , BlackBerry devices were not even an option.

Will there be bulk orders for a PKB device with no track record for reliability and stability?

Yes, I am skeptical but that outcome would be a pleasant Surprise.

Maybe the fact that the KEYone is "late" is a good omen. The PRIV was not ready for prime time when it was released.
    First, you're missing the point the Classic had a camera and non-camera option with Verizon specifically for gov't contracts for secure locations where cameras were not allowed. I had a Bold 9930 without a camera for 2 years. I also had a Classic without a camera. There are some things I just cannot say. However, I can absolutely tell you that as of October 19th, 2015 the last time my phone was swapped I was offered an iPhone 6s, Galaxy S5, Droid Turbo, BlackBerry 9930, BlackBerry Classic. So it hasn't been that long since BlackBerry BBOS and BlackBerry 10 was offered.

That said...to address your point:

You're missing an important point. I'm not talking about companies where individuals can request anything. I'm talking about the Federal Gov't and more specifically Intelligence Agencies that absolutely do buy in bulk and have large contracts. Read between the lines. I can't spell it out anymore for you. These agencies histories went Nextel, BlackBerry, iPhone, Android and most held their BlackBerry 9900s longer than any of you know.

Now the point is that they can get the most secure Android Device from a BlackBerry DTEK and Nougat perspective and save millions of dollars in the process. These agencies are not on your typical BES or GOOD MDMs. This is next level stuff. I'm not talking about what phones Morgan Stanley gives their employees. The reliability of these devices are more about carrier, signal, and server to ensure in a crisis if cellular went down, their comms would not.

The KEYone will be a major player in the government sector, it's just whether or not you hear about it.
    anon(3641385) and xandros9 like this.
    04-15-17 03:38 PM
    Sorry man, but you said two ridiculous things one right after the other. Yahoo suffered one of the largest data breaches in history and you're telling folks don't worry about it, Yahoo will have encrypted your password without clarifying and then taking your scenario with the DTEK50 and applying it to EVERYONE to further your point when clearly, that's not the case at all and just plain inaccurate.
    Probably the worst example he opted to use.
    04-15-17 04:26 PM
    Toronto is gonna take it.

LOL
    I got 20 that says they don't get past 6 games In this series
    Last edited by Carjackd; 04-15-17 at 08:19 PM.
    04-15-17 04:28 PM
    PhoneDr : Once you hear that the KEYone is known to be a major player in the government sector please come back and remind us of your prognostication.

Sort of like Belfastdispatcher back in the day .
    04-15-17 05:12 PM
    See this article for BlackBerry's promise to update the Priv to Nougat, for what it's worth

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/...%20Subscribers
    anon(3641385) likes this.
    04-15-17 05:55 PM
    Thx didn't hear that podcast so far but I still didn't find anything detailed on OS / hardware backed in security on the BlackBerryMobile site, but TCL press release has it:
    http://tclcom.tcl.com/admin/document...ACKBERRY.4.pdf

So this does still not tell us if BlackBerryLimited licenced the technique to BBMobile for N or if BlackBerryLimited still continues to develop this on N and therefore is willing to bring it on the legacy devices, but hope this will be the case even after cancelling OS betas.
    04-15-17 08:03 PM
    Just a FYI in the Marine Core , when they are critical,...there is a saying. Eat the apple and screw the core. Your avatar is very amusing lol
    04-15-17 08:17 PM
    ... So this does still not tell us if BlackBerryLimited licenced the technique to BBMobile for N or if BlackBerryLimited still continues to develop this on N and therefore is willing to bring it on the legacy devices, but hope this will be the case even after cancelling OS betas.
    At this point it's hard too see what the business case is for BlackBerry Limited to develop N for the DTEKs and the PRIV.
    04-15-17 08:22 PM
    PhoneDr : Once you hear that the KEYone is known to be a major player in the government sector please come back and remind us of your prognostication.

Sort of like Belfastdispatcher back in the day .
    So here's the thing. You personally cannot identify the mobile devices used by a single member considered to be Federally Employed other than possibly our current President. We know our last President was issued an iPhone and kept his BlackBerry for personal use but it was still locked down.

So what phones are currently deployed in the FBI, CIA, DEA, ATF, ICE, NSA, and so on. I'm not saying BlackBerry, I'm just saying unless coincidentally your friend or cousin has a phone issued through the gov't, well you only know what you see in movies.

I really tried to play nice providing reasons why KEYone makes Security and Financial sense and even mentioned the "possibility" cause I can't say it for sure that the phones have been given a solid demo to those decision makers. If it came off as a done deal, blame my choice of words.

If they don't buy and deploy, fine. I assumed wrong. My point was always to illustrate that the decision to deploy had nothing to do the Keyboard and Employees in these positions take what they are given.

Thus, no reason for "prognostication" if correct as it's an educated guess. But also, if wrong...no reason for "I Told So". These are multi-million dollar decisions, not easy ones to make. Just let it go. Don't make it personal.
    anon(3641385) likes this.
    04-15-17 09:08 PM
    At this point it's hard too see what the business case is for BlackBerry Limited to develop N for the DTEKs and the PRIV.
    GOOD WILL. It is actually a business asset. And TLC or is that TCL might have made that part of their deal. BB falls down on some past promises could have repercussions on the new device. Or maybe I should have said "falls down on MORE past promises!"
    Uzi likes this.
    04-15-17 09:08 PM
    First off, I know it's just a phone. Dime a dozen. Commodity. Who really cares anyway? In the grand scheme of things, I don't really.

However, there seem to be some signs lately that our beloved BlackBerry devices are being abandoned on a variety of levels.

I was absolutely positive that the Priv would get Nougat, as would the DTEK 50 and 60. However, since these devices are BlackBerry, and not BlackBerry Mobile, I'm not so confident anymore. With BlackBerry shutting down their support forums, cancelling the BlackBerry Android OS Beta Zone and being so late with their monthly security updates (I still haven't received the April update), I think this is a sign of things to come.

BlackBerry seems to be in the app business now with Hub+Services, DTEK, Hub, etc., that I think they're not going to go any further than releasing Google's stock Android OS with the BlackBerry app suite. Sure, there is the alleged kernel hardening and root-of-trust stuff, but since they're not really involved in the manufacturing process, I wonder how long that will exist itself.

I do like the KEYone. It looks like a nice device and will launch with Nougat, I'm just disappointed that the Priv won't get the update, since I love the form factor.

When I really think about it, does it make any real sense for BlackBerry to invest in all this Android security stuff? I mean, obviously the world doesn't really care with all the Samsung and LG devices out there. Why bother when the general population couldn't care less?

Anyway, no big deal, but I really thought that BlackBerry was trying to make a go of securing Android and at least committing some resources to keep the legacy alive.
    Since they are a software company that don't build their own phones, it would make sense to make software and make money on royalties.

Armchair CEO side note: Since they are only a software company, I feel like they should release some of their products on the iOS platform as well. I'm sure it will never happen due to licensing issues, but just my $.02
    04-15-17 10:20 PM
    So here's the thing. You personally cannot identify the mobile devices used by a single member considered to be Federally Employed other than possibly our current President. We know our last President was issued an iPhone and kept his BlackBerry for personal use but it was still locked down.

So what phones are currently deployed in the FBI, CIA, DEA, ATF, ICE, NSA, and so on. I'm not saying BlackBerry, I'm just saying unless coincidentally your friend or cousin has a phone issued through the gov't, well you only know what you see in movies.

I really tried to play nice providing reasons why KEYone makes Security and Financial sense and even mentioned the "possibility" cause I can't say it for sure that the phones have been given a solid demo to those decision makers. If it came off as a done deal, blame my choice of words.

If they don't buy and deploy, fine. I assumed wrong. My point was always to illustrate that the decision to deploy had nothing to do the Keyboard and Employees in these positions take what they are given.

Thus, no reason for "prognostication" if correct as it's an educated guess. But also, if wrong...no reason for "I Told So". These are multi-million dollar decisions, not easy ones to make. Just let it go. Don't make it personal.
    U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms (ATF)
    Feb. 2012
    For iPhones

U.S. Transportation Security Administration (TSA)
    May 2012
    For iPhones

U.S. Immigrations and Customs Enforcement (ICE)
    Sept 2012
    For iPhone 5s

U.S. National Traffic Safety Board (NTSB)
    Oct.2012
    For iPhone 5s

U.S. Air Force (USAF)
    (Upcoming)
    For iPads

FBI
    Samsung Galaxy S
    July 2013

- See more at: DailyTech - Report: FBI Looks to Dump BlackBerry, Get Samsung Android-based Smartphones
    Uzi likes this.
    04-15-17 11:04 PM
    In June, the FBI posted a bid for 27,000 licenses for Samsung Knox security software to run on new Galaxy S5 handsets. It made an award four days later and it’s deployed 22,000 devices to its 56 field offices over the past four months.

The rest of the job should be finished by early February, said David Rubin, an assistant FBI section chief who serves as the agency’s head of mobility.

“By early February (2015), we should have just under 30,000 deployed, which is tremendous,” he told the audience at a breakfast meeting Tuesday organized by AFCEA’s Bethesda, Maryland chapter. “That involved multiple teams, and it took a lot of cooperation with our wireless carrier and other vendors to make it happen.”

FBI deploys 30,000 Android smartphones to field offices - FederalNewsRadio.com
    04-15-17 11:08 PM
    In June, the FBI posted a bid for 27,000 licenses for Samsung Knox security software to run on new Galaxy S5 handsets. It made an award four days later and it’s deployed 22,000 devices to its 56 field offices over the past four months.

The rest of the job should be finished by early February, said David Rubin, an assistant FBI section chief who serves as the agency’s head of mobility.

“By early February (2015), we should have just under 30,000 deployed, which is tremendous,” he told the audience at a breakfast meeting Tuesday organized by AFCEA’s Bethesda, Maryland chapter. “That involved multiple teams, and it took a lot of cooperation with our wireless carrier and other vendors to make it happen.”

FBI deploys 30,000 Android smartphones to field offices - FederalNewsRadio.com
    Solid info. Like I said, facts are welcomed. If I'm wrong I'm wrong.

Interestingly enough I specifically referred to 30,000 devices in an earlier post and an Android only deployment and those Galaxy S5's are over 2 years old. But again, my info is "not verifiable" because I can only "speculate". That said I'm fairly confident I'll have a KEYone issued in September and have my personal sometime in May.
    04-15-17 11:38 PM
    Thx didn't hear that podcast so far but I still didn't find anything detailed on OS / hardware backed in security on the BlackBerryMobile site, but TCL press release has it:
    http://tclcom.tcl.com/admin/document...ACKBERRY.4.pdf

So this does still not tell us if BlackBerryLimited licenced the technique to BBMobile for N or if BlackBerryLimited still continues to develop this on N and therefore is willing to bring it on the legacy devices, but hope this will be the case even after cancelling OS betas.
    Did you genuinely expect a flat out direct answer to such a specific question?

They explained it in the best possible tl;dr way:

BlackBerry builds the OS. BlackBerry signs the OS. TCL installs the OS.

Lemme put it this way: There's no reason for BlackBerry to not bring it to older devices unless there's some technical reason in those hardware platforms or they just don't want to because most of the Nougat testing and groundwork has already been done for the KEYone and Aurora. When you really think about it, the KEYone is enough like the Priv that it should be mostly plug-n-play with only internal hardware differences to worry about and the same goes for the DTEK50 and DTEK60 as those should be similar enough to the Aurora to be mostly plug-n-play. One slight technical hinderence, though, could be openGL....
    FF22 likes this.
    04-16-17 05:57 AM
    Did you genuinely expect a flat out direct answer to such a specific question?

They explained it in the best possible tl;dr way:

BlackBerry builds the OS. BlackBerry signs the OS. TCL installs the OS.
    Yeah if it is that way, I am also more confident and hardware/driver issues can always be a pitfall for newer OS versions, but at least the main chip-config with Snapdragon 808, Adreno 418, 3 GB should be vulkan and overall Nougat compatible as Nexus 5x has same chips but only 2GB on N 7.1.2.
    04-16-17 09:15 AM
92 ... 234