Which would it be and why?
    11-16-15 09:56 AM
    All my devices are un locked on ATT. The less I have to deal w/ ATT the better.

BleedBlk-
    Adam Frix likes this.
    11-16-15 10:00 AM
    AT&T Priv, simply because then there can be no question about it supporting all AT&T technologies.

Of course you and I know that the unlocked unit can also support all of those technologies, but the AT&T bureaucracy is fragile enough that if your unlocked unit suddenly stops doing LTE for some reason, AT&T's story is that "well, it's not from us, therefore we can't support your efforts for the unit to do something else. Goodbye."

That's already proven to be happening, both with Priv and elsewhere. Shoot, even the iPhone gets this treatment.

Unlocked, you are your own support--and if it takes AT&T support to provision something to make it all work, they may not do it.
    ce71 likes this.
    11-16-15 10:00 AM
    All my devices are un locked on ATT. The less I have to deal w/ ATT the better.

BleedBlk-
    I take that attitude to the extreme of not doing business with AT&T at all. But if you're going to do business with AT&T, yes, put yourself in the best position possible--the less interaction the better.
    RWB3325 likes this.
    11-16-15 10:01 AM
    If I'd waited, I would have ordered one via Amazon, unlocked, and merely used my AT&T SIM in it. But, no, I bloody couldn't wait, and walked into AT&T on 7th Nov, and bought one.

The resale value is better when purchased directly from BlackBerry\Amazon, versus a carrier.
    11-16-15 10:48 AM
    Unlocked Priv on the At&t network, main reason being the updates. While we don't know when they will come, we know they will come much quicker then the at&t version.
    11-16-15 10:51 AM
    Unlocked Priv on the At&t network, main reason being the updates. While we don't know when they will come, we know they will come much quicker then the at&t version.
    My 2 previous BlackBerry devices were purchased from ShopBlackberry unlocked and used on AT&T without any issues and yes I got updates from BlackBerry.

I did purchase my Priv from AT&T as my personal needs for having an unlocked device have changed. I'm not traveling internationally like I used to.

I'm under the belief, perhaps falsely, that updates will be pushed to the AT&T Priv in a timely fashion.

Time will tell I guess as no doubt this will be reported here on CB which devices received an update.

Bob

Posted via the CrackBerry App with my BlackBerry Priv on AT&T
    11-16-15 11:08 AM
    I'll buy an AT&T and for that matter I'll buy T mobile, Verizon, Sprint, Vodafone, Etisalat, ...etc simply because you get the advantage of the carrier support be it technical or on your line as in package, data, mins and so on and especially because I happen to spend so I even got a special VIP number to call for personalized support and they even provided me with free chauffeur services-rides to and from airport, free access to world airport lounges, free flower bouquet to send, free eating out at select restaurants and so on... so yes I'll buy with carrier and even show off that logo haha

Edit: VIP number has no wait and automatically knows your number and directs you to the attendant... absolutely no waiting... I also forgot that when in store, no waiting in line even if there's a line as they attend my requests right aways...

Posted via CB10
    ce71 likes this.
    11-16-15 11:40 AM
    If you (1) have existing ATT service and already have a ATT nano SIM card activated and (2) you intend to purchase the phone for full retail price, then I would recommend buying unlocked.

The full retail price for the ATT Priv is $740 vs. the $700 for the unlocked phone. I also prefer to have Blackberry provide the OS updates rather than rely on ATT, especially since we're all waiting on the Marshmallow update.

That said, if you're like me an bought an unlocked phone and activated new service on ATT, then you might want to consider just buying the ATT Priv to avoid the hassle and headache of getting full LTE service. I spent many hours going through 4 levels of ATT tech support and at all levels they just flat out refused to put in a dummy IMEI number or otherwise provision my account for LTE because my unlocked Priv was "not certified" by ATT despite the fact that they sell the EXACT same model.

I ended up borrowing my friend's ATT Priv and activating my SIM card on that phone. When I popped that SIM into my unlocked Priv, I was able to get 4G LTE service. Mind, 4G and 4G LTE are two different things. On 4G I topped out at 6Mbps while on 4G LTE I get around 12Mbps.
    11-16-15 01:01 PM
    If you (1) have existing ATT service and already have a ATT nano SIM card activated and (2) you intend to purchase the phone for full retail price, then I would recommend buying unlocked.

The full retail price for the ATT Priv is $740 vs. the $700 for the unlocked phone. I also prefer to have Blackberry provide the OS updates rather than rely on ATT, especially since we're all waiting on the Marshmallow update.

That said, if you're like me an bought an unlocked phone and activated new service on ATT, then you might want to consider just buying the ATT Priv to avoid the hassle and headache of getting full LTE service. I spent many hours going through 4 levels of ATT tech support and at all levels they just flat out refused to put in a dummy IMEI number or otherwise provision my account for LTE because my unlocked Priv was "not certified" by ATT despite the fact that they sell the EXACT same model.

I ended up borrowing my friend's ATT Priv and activating my SIM card on that phone. When I popped that SIM into my unlocked Priv, I was able to get 4G LTE service. Mind, 4G and 4G LTE are two different things. On 4G I topped out at 6Mbps while on 4G LTE I get around 12Mbps.
    Great info... thanks.

Another thing... with AT&T... there is an option to pay an extra $10 a month to get phone insurance. I don't believe that's something you can get just from buying one on Amazon, correct?
    11-16-15 01:27 PM
    I would go with the unlocked phone from Shop Blackberry because it shows support for LTE band 17 which is necessary for the reception of LTE data in my service area. The AT&T phone's details do not show support for band 17 on the AT&T website. I do not know if this is a mistake on the website or a problem with the AT&T phone. When I instant messaged with AT&T reps I could not get an answer.
    11-16-15 01:38 PM
    I would go with the unlocked phone from Shop Blackberry because it shows support for LTE band 17 which is necessary for the reception of LTE data in my service area. The AT&T phone's details do not show support for band 17 on the AT&T website. I do not know if this is a mistake on the website or a problem with the AT&T phone. When I instant messaged with AT&T reps I could not get an answer.
    Well.. here's another thing that I'd love to find out. On the unlocked phones, you can actually select your network settings. For example, you could choose 4G instead of 4G LTE. On the AT&T phones, this is not the case because those settings do not exist.

However, if I purchased an AT&T phone for the full price and I was able to unlock the phone, would the cellular network settings suddenly appear on the unlocked AT&T phone?

Anyone know?
    11-16-15 01:45 PM
    For affordability reasons I signed up for the AT&T Priv on the next 18. I get to trade it in a year and a half from now and upgrade. I pay $30.80 a month. Can keep it or pay a total of $554.40 and trade.

Sent from Jiggy's Priv. . . .
    11-16-15 01:58 PM
    I bought mine from my local AT&T store the day they were available. How much does it cost to have one unlocked?

Posted via CB10
    11-16-15 02:02 PM
    The unlocked and att versions are the same device stv100-1. Same bands.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android on my Silver Passport!
    11-16-15 02:45 PM
    Great info... thanks.

Another thing... with AT&T... there is an option to pay an extra $10 a month to get phone insurance. I don't believe that's something you can get just from buying one on Amazon, correct?
    You can get phone insurance directly from Blackberry or through a 3rd party outfit like Square Trade or Asurion.
    11-16-15 04:46 PM
    Well.. here's another thing that I'd love to find out. On the unlocked phones, you can actually select your network settings. For example, you could choose 4G instead of 4G LTE. On the AT&T phones, this is not the case because those settings do not exist.

However, if I purchased an AT&T phone for the full price and I was able to unlock the phone, would the cellular network settings suddenly appear on the unlocked AT&T phone?

Anyone know?
    I don't have the option to select the network settings on my unlocked phone on AT&T. Maybe that option disappears when you join the AT&T network?
    11-16-15 04:48 PM
    AT&T cause it was available at launch and did not have to wait, like other who are still wait on their pre-orders.
    11-16-15 04:50 PM
    I don't have the option to select the network settings on my unlocked phone on AT&T. Maybe that option disappears when you join the AT&T network?
    Good point.
    11-16-15 04:55 PM
    I'd buy unlocked for sure and am still debating it. I have until Friday to return mine but I hate the bloatware that comes on it.
    11-16-15 05:33 PM
    I'd buy unlocked for sure and am still debating it. I have until Friday to return mine but I hate the bloatware that comes on it.
    Really don't see an issue, I just stick them in a junk folder never to be used. Kids have done just that with their Priv.
    11-16-15 06:00 PM
    Really don't see an issue, I just stick them in a junk folder never to be used. Kids have done just that with their Priv.
    Its not an issue, just more of an annoyance.
    11-16-15 06:34 PM