BlackBerry would probably die if they continued to only use BB10.

No Apps = No Users
    No Users = No Devs Wanting to Make Apps

the best solution is to give consumers a consumer OS and keep BB10 for Enterprise.

If Consumers really want Enterprise features, use the BB Exp Suite wit Good/BES. Same goes for Enterprises who don't want to use BB10.

Might not be the plan the BB10 fans want, but it's the one that might just save the company from bleeding too death.
    They surely want to create a parallel market... they have to make the try, you're right!

Workhorse: BlackBerry|Q10, SQN100-3, OS 10.3.2.2639; Power Workhorse: BlackBerry|Passport, SQW100-1, OS 10.3.1.2480; Germany.
    09-15-15 11:38 PM
    If it's Marshmallow, i hope they fix the issue of interference between GPS and LTE of the last developper preview first :-P
    Last edited by bartoli; 09-16-15 at 03:12 AM.
    09-16-15 12:22 AM
    Not much, but I can see that pretty clearly. The only devices that will run Marshmallow out of the box until late 2015 will be the new Nexus devices.

Posted via CB10
    Oh you mean the Android At Work BlackBerry Nexus device called Slider??

Posted via CB10
    ayngling likes this.
    09-16-15 03:01 AM
    Inline with evleaks said 15 November
    I see you changed your avatar to Slider pic.
    09-16-15 08:29 AM
    Kinda makes sense that if BlackBerry were jumping into Android... they go with the most current version. Whereas a existing Android OEM might opt to use what they have until they are comfortable with the latest version.

And with some of the new security features in Marshmallow... for a while BlackBerry will be able to say their version of Android is more secure than most.
    ayngling likes this.
    09-16-15 02:01 PM
    I wouldn't be surprised if BlackBerry kept pushing out the latest android updates in the future almost as soon as they're out just to keep everything patched. I wonder if they'll push out security updates more often than that through a direct to consumer channel. Fact is most exploits are not day 0....

Posted via CB10
    09-16-15 02:44 PM
    I wouldn't be surprised if BlackBerry kept pushing out the latest android updates in the future almost as soon as they're out just to keep everything patched. I wonder if they'll push out security updates more often than that through a direct to consumer channel. Fact is most exploits are not day 0....

Posted via CB10
    Does that mean that on Android they wouldn't need to wait on Carriers like they did with 10.2 and 10.3 BB10?

 Frosty White Q10/10.3.2.2639 CB10 
    09-16-15 03:06 PM
    Does that mean that on Android they wouldn't need to wait on Carriers like they did with 10.2 and 10.3 BB10?
    With the emphasis on Secured Android, that would be a good move.
    ayngling likes this.
    09-16-15 03:13 PM
    It's going to release with lollipop no question...

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2639
    Yeah. As much as I am a BlackBerry fan, I have to admit they never tend to be early with any tech -- chipsets, etc. Why would this instance be any different? In fact I would think the act of securing it thoroughly would add even more delay and make the use of Lollipop more likely.
    09-16-15 03:17 PM
    Can I blow y'all minds? BlackBerry "Slider" will be running 6.0 Marshmallow, NOT Lollipop... it may be revealed soon with lollipop but I ensure you it will be 6.0 once shipped in the next 7 weeks.
    Awesome man!

Posted via CB10
    09-16-15 03:36 PM
    Kinda makes sense that if BlackBerry were jumping into Android... they go with the most current version. Whereas a existing Android OEM might opt to use what they have until they are comfortable with the latest version.

And with some of the new security features in Marshmallow... for a while BlackBerry will be able to say their version of Android is more secure than most.
    Most manufacturers launching new devices soon (Sony, Huawei for example) are launching them on Lollipop.

I'd love to see the Slider with Marshmallow out of the box but I still doubt it.

Posted via CB10
    jope28 likes this.
    09-16-15 03:40 PM
    Nexus first... Wait 3 months.... Everyone else will start to get it. I'm on the preview right now for Marshmallow and its not even on the final build yet. Looks like the final release is targeted for the end of this month. Samsung, LG and Motorola will surely have it first since they contribute to AOSP.

If the slider is Marshmallow?-m-preview-timeline-crop.png
    ayngling likes this.
    09-16-15 05:28 PM
    I agree. It's not even out yet. Hopefully, it's lollipop.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-16-15 05:46 PM
    BlackBerry would probably die if they continued to only use BB10.

No Apps = No Users
    No Users = No Devs Wanting to Make Apps

the best solution is to give consumers a consumer OS and keep BB10 for Enterprise.

If Consumers really want Enterprise features, use the BB Exp Suite wit Good/BES. Same goes for Enterprises who don't want to use BB10.

Might not be the plan the BB10 fans want, but it's the one that might just save the company from bleeding too death.
    This is the most concise statement to why BlackBerry needs an Android device. Yes, many of us want a full push with BB10 but at this point, that would pretty much be insanity. It makes sense to release an Android device for consumers which will also draw some Business/Enterprise companies who accept Android in the workplace/network environment and then this leaves BB10 for the HARDCORE-BlackBerry-diehards and the goverments of the world who don't give a flying leap about apps and just want that true-blue secured device.
    ayngling likes this.
    09-16-15 06:25 PM
    This is the most concise statement to why BlackBerry needs an Android device. Yes, many of us want a full push with BB10 but at this point, that would pretty much be insanity. It makes sense to release an Android device for consumers which will also draw some Business/Enterprise companies who accept Android in the workplace/network environment and then this leaves BB10 for the HARDCORE-BlackBerry-diehards and the goverments of the world who don't give a flying leap about apps and just want that true-blue secured device.
    So how would that explain that other companies who have had nothing but android devices for years still manage to make massive losses? Does BlackBerry need android or does android need BlackBerry? I don't think it makes a difference either way. Just having android isn't going to sell the phone on its own. BlackBerry need to sell the phone.

Why is android always named after sweets? Is it like the child catcher off chitty chitty bang bang tempting kids into letting Google mine their data before they're mature enough to know any better? Lollipops, come and get my lollipops.

So many questions.

Posted by Passport on bb10 but not sure for how much longer!
    09-16-15 06:39 PM
    So how would that explain that other companies who have had nothing but android devices for years still manage to make massive losses? Does BlackBerry need android or does android need BlackBerry? I don't think it makes a difference either way. Just having android isn't going to sell the phone on its own. BlackBerry need to sell the phone.
    Other companies switching to Android and experiencing massive losses is because they became another lemming in the world of Android. The only reason that a company like Samsung stood out among the pack was because they did something different that got the worlds attention (Re: Galaxy Note series). While BlackBerry will be joining the Android herd, they will IMMEDIATELY standout from the pack by offering their world renowned physical keyboard.

Let us not forget, majority of smartphone users today all had a BlackBerry device at one point and only left the Garden of Eden because the software lagged behind. Many people have and still want a physical keyboard but none of the major players have made one. Even Samsung recently tried to make an accessory for the Galaxy S6 as they know what's coming.
    astrodan13 and winscott63 like this.
    09-16-15 06:59 PM
    Why is android always named after sweets?
    Software has used development codewords for decades.

Here's a list of the codenames for various versions of Windows:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...soft_codenames

And here are the codenames for Mac OSX:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OS_X

Just about any software you can name had an internal development codename for the project. Android is no different. Someone (likely Andy Rubin) decided to use dessert names for the internal development names for the various major builds of Android back before Google even bought the company, and it's been that way ever since. The first commercial release of Android on the T-Mobile G1 (aka HTC Dream - the first Android phone) was the "C" build - aka Cupcake.

Here are the Android codenames and their corresponding version numbers
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_version_history
    09-16-15 07:02 PM

Why is android always named after sweets? Is it like the child catcher off chitty chitty bang bang tempting kids into letting Google mine their data before they're mature enough to know any better? Lollipops, come and get my lollipops.

So many questions.

BB doesn't need to making money from Android handsets. They just need enough revenue from it, say a million extra handsets a quarter to keep the trains running in the hardware division. Handsets are just leverage to sell their other services to enterprise clients, it's they who want Android + BB.

Internal Android builds have been named after sweets from 1.1 because the project manager had a sweet tooth. The first sweets-named internal build was called Petit Four and the first official release was Cupcake 1.5 and then alphabetically down the line until Marshmallow 6.0 .
    09-16-15 07:06 PM
    What else you can see in your crystal ball?

Posted via CB10
    What he's saying is, is that Smore's would be much more awesome!
    09-16-15 09:39 PM
    Kinda crazy theory but, what if BlackBerry has been working with Google all along to make Marshmallow "secure," thus giving BlackBerry the opportunity to launch the Slider with Marshmallow installed? Again, I know it's crazy, but no one (here) can truly say no until it's officially announced/released.

Posted via CB10
    09-17-15 01:14 AM
    Kinda crazy theory but, what if BlackBerry has been working with Google all along to make Marshmallow "secure," thus giving BlackBerry the opportunity to launch the Slider with Marshmallow installed? Again, I know it's crazy, but no one (here) can truly say no until it's officially announced/released.

Posted via CB10
    That sounds to good to be true
    But you got me on it...people can dream, right?

Posted via CB10
    00stryder likes this.
    09-17-15 01:17 AM

Posted via CB10
    I actually think this could be the case. But, that wouldn't give BlackBerry any advantage over the other handset makers, as everyone would have secure android.
    00stryder likes this.
    09-17-15 01:26 AM

Posted via CB10
    They are waiting for 6.0 to be released until they release the slider.

Confirmed slider is coming with 6.0 installed(but may be revealed with Lollipop this month)
    ayngling likes this.
    09-17-15 02:13 AM
    They are waiting for 6.0 to be released until they release the slider.

Confirmed slider is coming with 6.0 installed(but may be revealed with Lollipop this month)
    Keep 'em coming
    09-17-15 02:49 AM
    So do people think that people want a pkb in sufficient numbers to make this a success? I know a fair few people who are already BlackBerry users want a slider but also a fair few who don't want an android device and some who having used BlackBerry vkb prefer that.
    I guess the whole venture is heavily reliant on existing android ex BlackBerry people coming back. As for current BlackBerry users I think they'll win some and lose some in equal numbers.

Gutsy move by Chen in the device part of his business. Depends on whether he's prepared to fight on two fronts and keep bb10 alive and well running parallel. If people in big numbers go android and bb10 gets left behind he runs the risk of introducing many people to android who usually wouldn't have so the device is key to their next purchase.

09-17-15 02:57 AM
54 123