The problem with your theory is they don't have any real enterprise presence either... that's just a farce too.
    Please demonstrate the connection between that and the lack of a Priv Nougat update.

BlackBerry is still doing well in enterprise EMM, and retains 2nd place behind AirWatch.

No doubt they need to focus on revenues going forward, but even without the Qualcomm win, they are still cash flow positive, and profitable - something unheard of when they still had the BB10 boat anchor.
    Last edited by conite; 06-23-17 at 08:27 AM.
    06-23-17 07:55 AM
    I tend to have to agree with the headline. If Priv doesn't get updated I can't see why I would stay with BlackBerry if I'm only going to get one OS out of it. BB10 was updated for everything..

Now I also get Priv was BlackBerry limited not BlackBerry mobile. but is BlackBerry limited not the one still in charge of the software on the phone to meet their name standards? so who controls software with DTEK and KEYone then?

OK so if it does fall down to the Limited and mobile factor.. then I will be watching closely DTEK and KEYone.. if one day Priv 2 does come out (which I hope)., but if dtkek doesn't get N and KEYone doesn't get O then I have no reason to keep buying from BlackBerry mobile either.

It would only benefit enterprise. And the consumers who do want BlackBerry would be more likely to upgrade the hardware if they know it's going to get updates until they are ready to update again..

Next phone will be BlackBerry or iPhone when I have to give up my Priv, so will see what they do..
    Last edited by midnightdoom; 06-23-17 at 08:34 AM.
    anon(10218918) likes this.
    06-23-17 08:18 AM
    I tend to have to agree with the headline. If Priv doesn't get updated I can't see why I would stay with BlackBerry if I'm only going to get one OS out of it. BB10 was updated for everything..

Now I also get Priv was BlackBerry limited not BlackBerry mobile. but is BlackBerry limited not the one still in charge of the software on the phone to meet their name standards? so who controls software with DTEK and KEYone then?

OK so if it does fall down to the Limited and mobile factor.. then I will be watching closely DTEK and KEYone.. if one day Priv 2 does come out (which I hope)., but if dtkek doesn't get N and KEYone doesn't get O then I have no reason to keep buying from BlackBerry mobile either.

It would only benefit enterprise. And the consumers who do want BlackBerry would be more likely to upgrade the hardware if they know it's going to get updates until they are ready to update again..

Next phone will be BlackBerry or iPhone when I have to give up my Priv, so will see what they do
    It would really make a lot more sense to base your decision on what TCL/BBMO/Alcatel have done based on updates. BlackBerry Limited exited the hardware business. They would have done that even if TCL hadn't licensed the BlackBerry name. They don't care about consumer, prosumer or enterprise hardware because it's not part of their strategy anymore.
    anon(9803228) likes this.
    06-23-17 08:32 AM
    It would really make a lot more sense to base your decision on what TCL/BBMO/Alcatel have done based on updates. BlackBerry Limited exited the hardware business. They would have done that even if TCL hadn't licensed the BlackBerry name. They don't care about consumer, prosumer or enterprise hardware because it's not part of their strategy anymore.
    Ya I gathered that point too.. Which is why I'll be keeping and eye over next few years how TCL etc handle it

I did see another comment about how BlackBerry end game is to have the app suite preinstalled on other OEM's. That would be cool too.

But I mainly only want android for the Priv. Like my slider. If all touch was my option I'd probably switch back to iPhone. A lot has changed there since 4s. Forget the iOS I last had now
    06-23-17 08:38 AM
    If all touch was my option I'd probably switch back to iPhone. A lot has changed there since 4s. Forget the iOS I last had now
    The Steve Jobs sandbox: where "we know what's best for our customers"!
    06-23-17 08:50 AM
    The Steve Jobs sandbox: where "we know what's best for our customers"!
    And Google is not acting similarly? Oh, plug in usb and gain access to the phone's drives. New OS, let's forget that and make it charging only unless they respond to notice. No, we don't care if they want it persistent - we know best. No, apps are not allowed to write to sd-card! Well, maybe. Hmm, maybe not. Google switches it up and we are dragged along, like it or not.
    xandros9 likes this.
    06-23-17 11:51 AM
    And Google is not acting similarly? Oh, plug in usb and gain access to the phone's drives. New OS, let's forget that and make it charging only unless they respond to notice. No, we don't care if they want it persistent - we know best. No, apps are not allowed to write to sd-card! Well, maybe. Hmm, maybe not. Google switches it up and we are dragged along, like it or not.
    No apps on the SD card is a response to serious security questions.

But you can't really argue the customization of Android versus iOS, can you?
    06-23-17 12:03 PM
    No apps on the SD card is a response to serious security questions.

But you can't really argue the customization of Android versus iOS, can you?
    Other than helping a secretary ages ago with an iphone - no knowledge.

Oh, Android has more options than BB10 but that does not necessarily make me feel warm and fuzzy about Google and its control of the OS.
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    06-23-17 06:17 PM
    I'm still confused in the aspect of software.. when I update my apps and os it says BlackBerry limited. so who is updating the phones then. limited or mobile.

but then again bbm also says limited and we all know it's developed by a third party.. so what apps is waterloo doing
    06-23-17 07:53 PM
    I'm still confused in the aspect of software.. when I update my apps and os it says BlackBerry limited. so who is updating the phones then. limited or mobile.

but then again bbm also says limited and we all know it's developed by a third party.. so what apps is waterloo doing
    Software is produced by BlackBerry. I'm not certain of the actual technical implementation of the deployment.
    06-23-17 11:05 PM
    Are we at the point yet that we are hoping someone buys BlackBerry and doesn't just dissolve everything?
    06-23-17 11:24 PM
    Are we at the point yet that we are hoping someone buys BlackBerry and doesn't just dissolve everything?
    Pretty close to that point... yes...
    06-24-17 12:42 AM
    That pretty much happened 4 years ago when the company accepted the $1 billion infusion, hired Chen and started the software acquisitions then eventually gave up hardware.
    06-24-17 05:31 AM

Blackberry Limited is software (operating system and applications).

Blackberry Mobile is hardware (smartphone) but not those built by BlackBerry Limited.
    06-24-17 09:11 AM
239 ... 8910