Just saw this tablet which can switch OSes (Windows/Android). I couldnt find the companys name in the list of OHA, but disregarding that, this Onda tablet is just brilliant! Switching OS has existed already so maybe BlackBerry is trying this. I could be fine with android runtime cut off from BB10 if this is the route they are going into.
    09-01-15 01:12 AM
    The problem isn't if they can or not make a dual boot device, but rather if:
    • Will they be able to actually SECURE such device?

There is more, I suggest the latest BerryFlow podcast.
    7onZ likes this.
    09-01-15 01:21 AM
    You mean aside from ONDA being a company that really doesn't give two flying leaps about 'rules' and copyright?
    09-01-15 01:22 AM
    It took 40 seconds to boot into windows. Only a hobbyist would have the patience to use this as a daily driver. Imagine needing to boot into a different OS to check your messages or to use some kind of mobile app. We're not talking about spending the entire day using one OS or the other based on your mood that day you're going to need to access various apps throughout the day. Sometimes in the middle of a call, right? What OS are you going to take your pictures on? It's not the one you're currently using then you're going to need at least 30 seconds to be able to take a picture.
    7onZ likes this.
    09-01-15 01:23 AM
    Just saw this tablet which can switch OSes (Windows/Android). I couldnt find the companys name in the list of OHA, but disregarding that, this Onda tablet is just brilliant! Switching OS has existed already so maybe BlackBerry is trying this. I could be fine with android runtime cut off from BB10 if this is the route they are going into.
    Samsung and acer tried this, google wouldn't allow it
    7onZ likes this.
    09-01-15 01:24 AM
    Because BlackBerry isn't some Chinese guy operating out of the trunk of his car?

Posted via CB10
    09-01-15 01:44 AM
    Lol. You guys. Fair enough. So it means that the 'switch to Android' button was just BS. And there's by no means (or hope) it can be a reality.
    09-01-15 03:50 AM
    Lol. You guys. Fair enough. So it means that the 'switch to Android' button was just BS. And there's by no means (or hope) it can be a reality.
    In most likely case yes. The only reason why it's not 100petcent false is because the device is yet to be officially released.

I like bb10 and all... but...They both have benefits BlackBerry 화이팅!
    09-01-15 04:01 AM
    09-01-15 09:31 AM
    P.S.

In case you would like to create a dual booting tablet on your own . . . How to Install Android on Your Windows 8 Tablet
    09-01-15 09:35 AM
    The issue isn't dual-booting. Going that route is technically pissible but historically has been an OHA no-no.

The issue is that under this scenario you can't get approved for Google Play. No Play, no appstore or Google apps and services.

Thus, no better than where we are today.
    diegonei likes this.
    09-01-15 09:44 AM
    The issue isn't dual-booting. Going that route is technically pissible but historically has been an OHA no-no.

The issue is that under this scenario you can't get approved for Google Play. No Play, no appstore or Google apps and services.

Thus, no better than where we are today.
    I remember using Android in a VM on my Windows Desktop to purchase apps via Google Play Store. I don't remember the name of the VM, but it had the Play Store. Yet, it would only run as a guest on Windows. Is that an exception to the OHA rules or another company that succeeded by not following them.

Posted via CB10
    09-01-15 09:42 PM
    I remember using Android in a VM on my Windows Desktop to purchase apps via Google Play Store. I don't remember the name of the VM, but it had the Play Store. Yet, it would only run as a guest on Windows. Is that an exception to the OHA rules or another company that succeeded by not following them.

Posted via CB10
    Probably BlueStacks - but there are others. It doesn't have Google Play on it (none of these emulators belong to the OHA). You go to the Google Play Store website and attempt to install an application, hoping that said application doesn't require Google Play Services. Basically, a desktop version of Snap installer.

So, it's the same limitations as the other non-OHA solutions - so, still no better then where we are today.
    09-01-15 10:08 PM