If this ends up being a VZW exclusive... they did it with the Z30. And AT&T did it with the Passport.

I am really hoping this becomes available on all carriers. I need more BlackBerry options. Right now I have an unlocked Passport, on AT&T.

With all that said, and knowing only a handful of details, what would you be most disappointed with, in this device?

Posted via CB10 on my Passport
    03-08-15 10:01 AM
    Even if its a Verizon exclusive in the US, if this phone is sold on the bigger Canadian carriers, that will mean it will fully work on AT&T and maybe TMO as well. It may also mean factory unlocked units available to buy from ShopBB.
    Serkle K likes this.
    03-08-15 10:53 AM
    I'll be disappointed when, not if, this thing is a GSM only device like the Torch was.

Posted via CB10
    PostMortem likes this.
    03-08-15 11:49 AM
    I hope it is at least carried by Verizon
    kbz1960 likes this.
    03-08-15 12:14 PM
    Shopblackberry.com

Posted via CB10
    03-08-15 12:48 PM
    I'm hoping by the time they decide to release it tmo and BlackBerry decide to work together again. I really miss having WiFi calling on my Z10

Sent from my Passport
    03-08-15 07:36 PM
    Shopblackberry.com

Posted via CB10
    Fair point, but I don't think everyone can afford $700 give or take up front. As long as Rogers carries it I'm good.

Posted via CB10
    03-08-15 11:16 PM
    As if the US will see it until next year, anyway.

Posted via CB10
    03-09-15 12:38 AM
    It's better having something verizon exclusive because you can get it unlocked for att and tmobile anyways

Posted via CB10
    03-09-15 01:59 AM
    It's better having something verizon exclusive because you can get it unlocked for att and tmobile anyways
    Luckily current Verizon LTE phones come unlocked, but they don't usually have the main bands for AT&T and TMO.
    03-09-15 12:47 PM
    There is the PayPal option. You can pay in installments, much like buying from a carrier. I meant this to be a reply to a previous post, oops.

Posted via CB10
    03-09-15 06:13 PM
    Fair point, but I don't think everyone can afford $700 give or take up front. As long as Rogers carries it I'm good.

Posted via CB10
    As someone has pointed out, I believe with Paypal (at least in the US) you can still pay in installments. Regardless, you are not going to pay more for the phone by purchasing it outright. In Canada, you will get stuck on a much more expensive plan indefinitely. Paying for a phone outright is the way to go, if it's possible. And, as an alternative, if you really want to go the carrier route, you could always sign on for an overpriced iPhone 6 Plus S or C or whatever they repackage next and sell it privately to cover your cost of the slider. Then you are still locked into a contract and the carrier will help subsidize your phone.

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    raino likes this.
    03-09-15 06:25 PM
    You guys should also keep in mind that by the time this device releases VoLTE should be much more prominent. You may no longer *need* a cdma radio to run on Verizon. Of course that could be a while longer too.... just saying.

Posted via CB10
    03-09-15 07:28 PM
    As someone has pointed out, I believe with Paypal (at least in the US) you can still pay in installments. Regardless, you are not going to pay more for the phone by purchasing it outright. In Canada, you will get stuck on a much more expensive plan indefinitely. Paying for a phone outright is the way to go, if it's possible. And, as an alternative, if you really want to go the carrier route, you could always sign on for an overpriced iPhone 6 Plus S or C or whatever they repackage next and sell it privately to cover your cost of the slider. Then you are still locked into a contract and the carrier will help subsidize your phone.

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    Always: ... outright!

:-D

�   Passposted while waiting for the Zzzzzlider....   �
    03-10-15 06:08 PM
    You guys should also keep in mind that by the time this device releases VoLTE should be much more prominent. You may no longer *need* a cdma radio to run on Verizon. Of course that could be a while longer too.... just saying.
    You're assuming voLTE will be "open access," in that any phone that has the necessary Verizon LTE bands will work. So far, that has not been the case.
    03-10-15 09:57 PM
    You're assuming voLTE will be "open access," in that any phone that has the necessary Verizon LTE bands will work. So far, that has not been the case.
    That's actually incorrect, the passport supports all relevant LTE bands

Posted via CB10
    03-11-15 11:55 AM
    Yes, but still it cannot do voLTE on Verizon. Neither can the VerizonZ10s or Q10s--phones sold and supported by Verizon.

Phones have to be allowed by Verizon to be able to do voLTE. This is the same for T-Mobile, which is a GSM carrier.
    03-11-15 12:02 PM

Posted via CB10
    It's CDMA bands that are, an issue not LTE. Imagine you could actually get an unlocked passport on verizon, what would happen when you crossed over a 4G zone into a 3G zone? Your phone would be dead. No texts or calls or data.

This is why you need a verizon version for everything.

Posted via CB10
    03-11-15 12:03 PM
    It's CDMA bands that are, an issue not LTE. Imagine you could actually get an unlocked passport on verizon, what would happen when you crossed over a 4G zone into a 3G zone? Your phone would be dead. No texts or calls or data.

Posted via CB10
    Please read my previous post

Posted via CB10
    03-11-15 12:04 PM
    Yes, but still it cannot do voLTE on Verizon. Neither can the VerizonZ10s or Q10s--phones sold and supported by Verizon.

Phones have to be allowed by Verizon to be able to do voLTE. This is the same for T-Mobile, which is a GSM carrier.
    Yes, agreed, but I this is not a hardware issue, just a provisioning one. Especially since as of now V still requires a CDMA radio.

Posted via CB10
    03-11-15 12:10 PM

Verizon says they will be launching all-LTE phones in 2016, which to me implies that they think their LTE network will be robust/ubiquitous enough to drop CDMA from their new phones. CDMA will still exist (until at least 2020, from what I've read) to accommodate the legacy customer base and lack of LTE/delayed refarming in specific markets, but they would be transitioning completely to voLTE by then. Ambitious goal.

All that being said, just because you have a band 4 and 13 LTE phone isn't enough to get you voLTE on Verizon. Even if that phone is Verizon approved right now (i.e. CDMA equipped, like the Q10 and Z10,) it isn't enough. Verizon has been pushing software updates out to its phone to enable voLTE; other Verizon phones in the same markets cannot do voLTE.
    03-11-15 12:13 PM
    Yes, agreed, but I this is not a hardware issue, just a provisioning one. Especially since as of now V still requires a CDMA radio.
    Right. Provisioning. But c'mon man...Verizon isn't going to provision any unsupported b4/13 phone off the street. This is Verizon we're talking about. Verizon!

Personally, I'd be surprised if they even open up their band 4 LTE network to tablets (where voice is not a concern.)
    03-11-15 12:16 PM
    Right. Provisioning. But c'mon man...Verizon isn't going to provision any unsupported b4/13 phone off the street. This is Verizon we're talking about. Verizon!

Personally, I'd be surprised if they even open up their band 4 LTE network to tablets (where voice is not a concern.)
    You never know, BYOD is big biz for AT&T and T-Mobile tight now. I'm sure Verizon would looove to get in on that.

Posted via CB10
    03-11-15 12:18 PM
    You never know, BYOD is big biz for AT&T and T-Mobile tight now. I'm sure Verizon would looove to get in on that.
    But you see, Verizon isn't for such common sense and user-friendly ideas. They'll take every cent of their profits, down to the relatively little each phone sale gets them, thank you very much. And if you're buying into the Verizon network, the phone will be a secondary consideration.

Actually they aren't the only network right now who has a closed voLTE rollout. Even TMO doesn't provision non-supported phones for voLTE access. And just like Verizon, they don't provision even the Z10 and Q10--perfectly capable phones they sold and supported-for voLTE.

It's pretty smart for carriers to be doing this. This way, despite the openness of LTE that's akin to GSM's, they can drive all handset sales back to themselves--especially when they go all-voLTE. "Want voLTE? Want WiFi calling? Buy from the carrier."
    03-11-15 12:29 PM
    Dissapointed at what!? A slider is next on the BlackBerry evolutionary chain!

Yes I for one loved my torch and I would buy the slider!

 Passport SQW100-1 / 10.3.1.2708 Rogers Wireless
    06-04-15 05:44 AM
28 12