To keep the peace, I always get her one when I upgrade and she leaves me alone.
    Especially when, according to whom he was responding, BB is giving him $. I'll take 1,000,000! This is sure to be their best selling moving device of all time.
    10-05-15 05:22 AM
    What boring week! This is what happens when we're all just in limbo waiting for the device to actually get released. No leaks, no new devices, no news that we haven't heard already. Yawwwwn!

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2576 O2 UK
    10-05-15 05:45 AM
    What boring week! This is what happens when we're all just in limbo waiting for the device to actually get released. No leaks, no new devices, no news that we haven't heard already. Yawwwwn!

Absolutely ridiculous. I think I've decided not to support/buy the Priv.. BlackBerry is ridiculous and it's marketing team and/or Chen need to wake up and smell the coffee... First to market is everything, I'm not saying rush it - but ffs its been revealed since March... time to hit the market, they don't have the loyal following they once did.. they haven't realized that yet.
    10-05-15 05:55 AM
    What's the point of this thread?

BlackBerry isn't going to listen.

Posted via CB10
    10-05-15 07:23 AM
    I don't think the Priv is necessarily too late to market (though of course the earlier the better, in order to get the jump over updates from competitors).

I also think it looks like a pretty nice device from what I've seen - well built and designed.

But I do have a bit of sympathy with the OP over price. I think that if Blackberry bring the Priv to retail with a pricetag up there with the iPhone, S6 Edge etc. it will flop. These devices are ABLE to command that kind of pricetag because of brand recognition/image/reputation. Conversely, the BlackBerry brand has a poor reputation and low value.

Given that Blackberry invariably lose out in these terms, surely it must compensate elsewhere (eg. price).

If that means a reduced margin on each sale then so be it.
    zyxxiforr likes this.
    10-05-15 07:49 AM
    KEYBOARD & Enterprise features.... Those are the only reason anyone is going to give the PRIV a second look.

Anyone wanting a deal, looking for the best hardware to price ratio, or is attracted by hardware gimmicks.... they aren't even going to consider the PRIV. The Android market is very crowded, and BlackBerry isn't going to be able to compete with all these other plays on pricing and hardware. So they'll just have to ignore the market and do what they can with the device and price it where they need it to be. And then hope of the best.

But I agree that for the hardware... $450 is about where it should be. I would compare BlackBerry to OnePlus, as this device isn't in the same league as HTC's and Samsung's flagships. Which is why I think they'll stick with this being an Enterprise focused device... with a "few" keyboard fans on the side.
    10-05-15 07:54 AM
    KEYBOARD & Enterprise features.... Those are the only reason anyone is going to give the PRIV a second look.

Anyone wanting a deal, looking for the best hardware to price ratio, or is attracted by hardware gimmicks.... they aren't even going to consider the PRIV. The Android market is very crowded, and BlackBerry isn't going to be able to compete with all these other plays on pricing and hardware. So they'll just have to ignore the market and do what they can with the device and price it where they need it to be. And then hope of the best.

But I agree that for the hardware... $450 is about where it should be. I would compare BlackBerry to OnePlus, as this device isn't in the same league as HTC's and Samsung's flagships. Which is why I think they'll stick with this being an Enterprise focused device... with a "few" keyboard fans on the side.
    The interesting thing is that keyboard and Enterprise features have already been provided with BB10 devices, along with the much-touted BB10 security claims.

With Priv, BlackBerry appear to be trading some of that 'security' for Google Services and Play Store app compatibility, via Android. If only interested in the above market, why take this route?

BlackBerry may not be shouting it publicly, but my gut feeling is that they are looking to recapture some of their consumer handset market share.

But yeah... we totally agree on pricepoint.
    10-05-15 08:00 AM
    I thought we were using the "Name Your Price" tool from Progressive. We're not? Wait until they release the price, you say? Oh. Okay.
    Blacklatino likes this.
    10-05-15 09:20 AM
    You should've been in the board, your mind is like einstein!

Posted via CB10
    10-05-15 09:50 AM
    It should be free!!!

Posted via CB10
    10-05-15 10:39 AM
    If it's 450 or 500 I will buy it in a second! 600 I would pause but probably still get it. Over 600, as we say in South Philly Italian....

I was wrong...MAX 0-fuggedaboutit.jpg
    10-05-15 01:42 PM
    I'm counting down to the thread where OP calls himself wrong again, but this time I hope it's after BlackBerry announces the price. Why can't people just wait and see instead of speculating and actually being mad at BlackBerry for something they haven't even done. Save the whining for the facts, you know you'll do it anyway.

Posted via CB10
    10-05-15 02:24 PM
    450 is the price of a Classic... you are completely unrealistic on how a high end device like this should be priced. Minimum 599 USD...

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2639
    I also think the price if the Priv will be about the same as the Passport at $599.00 US, now it's a wait and see game until the device is officially launched?
    10-05-15 03:03 PM

You could go start an argument about BB10 vs Android if you are really bored. I heard that's hip around here lately.
    10-05-15 03:12 PM
    i think what the OP is saying has merit, if a little misdirected. i think we can all agree that we want blackberry to succeed. we are passionate about it and hopeful because we genuinely like their products. blackberry fell victim to their own success by putting on blinders. they only competed with themselves thinking no one would ever take away their dominance in the enterprise market. eventually they would be overtaken, in a market they had carved out and controlled, because they failed to recognize how far the competition had progressed. since that point, they have had to play catch-up as the competition continues to take more and more of their business.

enter the Priv, and people are nervously hopeful. will blackberry continue to compete with itself, or will it finally compete against the apple's and google's? by creating an android device, they are definitely throwing their hat into a new market. pricing the Priv is going to be crucial. i think the OP has a point when he states that the competition is creating extremely high quality phones at a decent price. blackberry could easily price the Priv too high based on it being a flagship phone in their own portfolio. personally i feel the Passport SE strikes a good balance of price-to-quality ratio at $549. $100 less and i'd pick up the Prv just to have as an additional phone. if anything, i just want to see the Priv succeed, and price will definitely be a large factor in that equation.
    dusanvn likes this.
    10-05-15 04:42 PM

Posted via the CrackBerry App
    My daughter put me on to that video. Love it!

Not Fours Years But A Lifetime
    10-05-15 04:47 PM
    Do we even know if it's plastic? Regardless, I had the last two Bolds. I've also had a Razr, Curve, Droid 4, Galaxy S5. The Bolds were the only ones that felt really premium, like a luxury phone.

The hands-on video we saw said it was very substantial and comfortable. I think heft and a little weight goes just as far as premium materials. The S5 is so light it feels cheap, as did the Curve. The Bold was hefty without being heavy.

Besides, every phone goes in a case due to fragility so no one will ever see the glass and metal on their iPhone or Galaxy after the first day they open the box.
    nealworld likes this.
    10-05-15 05:19 PM
    You could go start an argument about BB10 vs Android if you are really bored. I heard that's hip around here lately.
    Well, as soon as the Priv gets released, i'll be rocking both bb10 and android so I have no argument to make. In any event, I don't think I could get that bored. Might as well bang your head against the wall rather than try to say why one OS is better than another. They all shine in different areas. Passport and Priv is how I shall head into 2016 and we'll see what happens for 2017. Looking forward to full MS Office with a PKB.

10-06-15 03:54 AM
    haha .. 450 $ .. .. thats impossible ..
    But if it is that ,, this phone will rock the world ..
    10-06-15 04:36 AM
    That defeats the purpose of why BlackBerry chose to stay in hardware business. They want to make money.

Of course pricing it high would also defeat the purpose as there would be poor sales.

Their best shot is to price it a wee bit, just a wee bit expensive.
    10-06-15 05:43 AM
    $549 should hit the mark bang on for maximum revenue.

nealworld likes this.
    10-06-15 05:45 AM
    The bubbleheads at BlackBerry will no doubt overprice this dead-on-arrival device because they still have this twisted belief in their products still being relevant and premium.
    10-06-15 08:18 AM
    haha .. 450 $ .. .. thats impossible ..
    But if it is that ,, this phone will rock the world ..
    For BlackBerry... yes I agree it is impossible.

• CPU: 64-bit Qualcomm� Snapdragon™ 810 processor with 1.8GHz Octa-core CPUs
    • GPU: Adreno™ 430
    • RAM: 4 GB/3 GB LPDDR4
    • Storage: 64 GB/16 GB eMMC v5.0 (available capacity varies)
    • Sensors: Fingerprint, Accelerometer, Gyroscope, Proximity and Ambient Light
    • Battery: Embedded rechargeable 3,300 mAh LiPo battery
    • Size: 5.5 inch
    • Resolution: 1080p Full HD (1920 x 1080 pixels), 401 PPI
    • Type: LCD In-cell
    • Sensor: 13 Megapixel (1.3um)
    • Lenses: 6 lenses to avoid distortion and color aberration
    • OIS: Yes
    • Laser Focus: Yes
    • Flash: Dual-LED
    • Front Camera: 5 Megapixel - Distortion free
    • Video: 4K resolution video, Slow Motion: 720p video at 120fps

$329 (�239) 16GB, $389 (�289) for 64GB
    But that doesn't mean that it is impossible for others....

I fully expect the PRIV to be at least $599+ in order for BlackBerry, the manufactures, distribution channels and the Retailers in their sales chain to all make their portion of the profit on these devices. It's the KEYBOARD and any unique to the device (not downloadable apps) enterprise features that will determine if this device will be a success or not. As BLACKBERRY isn't in a position to compete on specs and price.

Which is why I doubt it will be a huge success, as I don't think Enterprise will move very quickly on the PRIV, and I don't think consumers will see a value in the device. But I do hope I'm wrong and that there is a huge amount of demand for a keyboard device like the PRIV.
    10-06-15 08:30 AM
    For BlackBerry... yes I agree it is impossible.

But that doesn't mean that it is impossible for others....

I fully expect the PRIV to be at least $599+ in order for BlackBerry, the manufactures, distribution channels and the Retailers in their sales chain to all make their portion of the profit on these devices. It's the KEYBOARD and any unique to the device (not downloadable apps) enterprise features that will determine if this device will be a success or not. As BLACKBERRY isn't in a position to compete on specs and price.

Which is why I doubt it will be a huge success, as I don't think Enterprise will move very quickly on the PRIV, and I don't think consumers will see a value in the device. But I do hope I'm wrong and that there is a huge amount of demand for a keyboard device like the PRIV.
    Specs of oneplus device? Did the company make a profit yet?

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2639
    10-06-15 11:13 AM
    $549 should hit the mark bang on for maximum revenue.

microsoft just unveiled their flagship phones. the lumia 950 has some very decent specs and is going for $549. let's hope blackberry is watching. i agree that price does seem to be the sweet spot.
    10-06-15 12:11 PM
52 123