If the Priv gets hacked, which will most likely happen, it could be a good thing for BB10.

Posted via the amazing Passport
    This is Chen's master plan--he will build a "secure android" phone, it will be hacked by XDA, then he will proclaim to all those who require security (0.00002%) of mobile users "See, we NEED BB10"!!! J.K. lol
    Jakob Greve likes this.
    09-27-15 01:12 PM
    Is it? A less productive mobile OS costs me time, time that quickly adds up. Time I would much rather spend with friends and family. Only a mobile? No, it is time, the only thing money can never buy.
    Absolutely - that is why I need an android or ios phone - to get the apps that my enterprise uses - that is why Chen is going android because he knows there any many many many people who cannot exist in the Bb10 ghetto.

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk
    LuvULongTime and Shadowyugi like this.
    09-27-15 01:16 PM
    Yep the writing is on the wall
    Attachment 373321
    Surprisingly clear statement here. While I think it might be a reasonable move of BlackBerry in many ways, I really think this would be incredibly sad.

BB10 is a great OS and it actually has a lot of potential. Sadly, it has never been adopted by the market.

I'd prefer a BB10 phone with enough app supply over Android but this is where it gets tough for so many users which is why they don't give BlackBerry a chance.

What would be even worse, though, is if we, the most loyal BlackBerry users, would suffer the same fate as the loyal BBOS7 holdouts did. Many here on CrackBerry were only reluctantly switching to BB10. Just to hear they'll have to give up on the platform again just a few years later?

Therefore, I hope that BB10 will be supported and actively developed long enough that we can maybe see a few more exciting devices in the future and that it might even survive. But with such an outlook, why would companies still invest in large scale BB10 implementations?

Posted via CB10
    DolemiteDONS likes this.
    09-27-15 01:58 PM
    It's not dead, but it's certainly going to be in a year.*

*I used to think that BB10 would never die out because it's the only smartphone ecosystem that's been government and regulated-industry approved for use and that THOSE clients would be what keep our consumer devices continuously supported and maintained.*

Then I found out BBRY's position with gov'ts isn't exclusive and that Samsung, Motorola, and Huawei all have FIPS 140-2 approved devices that run Android: http://csrc.nist.gov/groups/STM/cmvp...40val-all.htm*

*So, yes, I am inclined to agree that BB10 will continue to receive incremental updates until they get the Priv and subsequent Android devices certified and in the hands of their gov't clients. Then the plug is pulled on BB10. In fact, Chen mentions it here: *

http://www.therecord.com/news-story/...e-called-priv/

And foreshadowed here:‎

http://www.financialpost.com/m/wp/bl...devices‎

Posted via CB10
    09-27-15 01:59 PM
    The only thing keeping BB10 alive is security. As an example our bank is still 100% BlackBerry.

Obviously securing Android to the same level to BB10 would kill it. I don't think this is really big news. Securing Android is not a done deal though, who knows when that will happen.

Posted via  BlackBerry Z30
    09-27-15 02:23 PM
    Not to sound trite, but it does surprise me that people are, well, surprised.

BB10 hasn't been competitive for quite some time. It never had the requisite pieces.

I do find the fond memories of Thor in some threads hilarious. Times change. Hopefully, JC still has white horse he ride in on.
    09-27-15 02:36 PM
    Yeah, just sold my Passport yesterday while the price is still high. It's a shame. I went through this with WebOS, watching as a fantastic operating system is lost. In the case of WebOS it was mismanagement. In this case, no adoption (and perhaps mismanagement also). Either way, the best two mobile OSes over the past decade are have have been lost to most consumers.

But whatever: the industry will regulate itself. If security is what matters, then security will happen. If Android and iOS can't make that happen, someone else will, and it will be adopted. They are just phones, and each of them allows us to do what needs to be done, some perhaps better than others for specific use cases, but all get the job done. My priority is just not getting burned. Already lost what I spent on apps, but it was time to get out before my phone became un-sellable due to a legacy OS.
    Bay 13 likes this.
    09-27-15 03:00 PM
    There seems to be some functional fixation here about BB10. What's so special about it? Neither the hub nor the gestures that you like are magical properties that can't be duplicated if enough users prefer them.

If I felt strongly about something yet 99.5% of the people around me felt differently, I would reconsider my opinion unless I were truly a zealot. And if I were to become one it probably wouldn't be over a smartphone OS.
    09-27-15 03:00 PM
    I personally thought BB could not afford to give it's security based customers the slightest hint that they would kick them to the curb. Mainly, because I don't see them replacing the existing hardware customers on a 1 to 1 basis. So when these customers see the "handwriting on the wall" as well, they'll abandon ship as well. Considering their only choice is a high end, expensive phone, I suspect most will go elsewhere for their android experience. Which gets us to the most amazing thing I see on this forum. "Now that BB is selling a flagship android phone, Chen will have no problem selling the millions of phones he needs to keep in business"

I'd bet he doesn't replace the lost customer base over the short term, and he won't spend the money to secure and market the business in the long term. To me, this reads " look, we tried really, really hard, honest. We even tried android. We did everything within our budget (not much), and still couldn't make this work. We are moving to a services company."

This is HP done with a softer landing in hoping they don't **** off the customers bad enough to look elsewhere for said service software. For the rest, good luck with your rebranded Samsung edge w/keyboard. Been there, done that. not going back.
    09-27-15 03:08 PM
    There seems to be some functional fixation here about BB10. What's so special about it? Neither the hub nor the gestures that you like are magical properties that can't be duplicated if enough users prefer them.

If I felt strongly about something yet 99.5% of the people around me felt differently, I would reconsider my opinion unless I were truly a zealot. And if I were to become one it probably wouldn't be over a smartphone OS.
    Don't you remember the delightful rantings about the glorious QNX, and how it was about to take a monolithic world by storm?

Saying that BB10 isn't the best thing since Taylor Swift is still dangerous...
    09-27-15 03:12 PM
    He is gambling that secure base is much less than potential market - if he is right he will get a big cheque, if he is wrong.... Em he will get a big cheque

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk
    09-27-15 03:13 PM

The O/S is so firmly tied to so many things, security, resource usage, file system, etc. When one is happy with the way something works, it's not incumbent upon them to look around for what sells better as part of that decision. A good company tries to make something work if it has a solid product. By your logic, Apple has no business in the desktop computer business. A miserable performer compared to windows, which never had any real marketshare. I think all osx users should reconsider, unless their all zealots. In fact, go pedal that line of thinking in the apple forums, see how far you get.
    Reed Richards and Allanon89 like this.
    09-27-15 03:24 PM

I didn't see anyone claim them to be "magical". That's a strawman argument. People who use those features seem to like them. The problem with your analysis is that the vast majority of those other 99.5% have never tried it, and most of the people I encounter have never even SEEN it. For those that did - it more than likely was not dismissed because of HUB, peek, flow, swipes, or any of that, it was dismissed because their favorite (or important) app was not available for it.

I tried Android, iOS, and BB10. I liked BB10 best, and am sorry that it was mishandled and has failed. It's really that simple. You don't understand that? OK, you don't get it. It's not the end of the world and when the time comes I will move on to whatever else works best for me. However, this is CrackBerry, and talk about these things is why we are here, isn't it?

Posted via CB10
    09-27-15 03:30 PM
    I didn't see anyone claim them to be "magical". That's a strawman argument. People who use those features seem to like them. The problem with your analysis is that the vast majority of those other 99.5% have never tried it, and most of the people I encounter have never even SEEN it. For those that did - it more than likely was not dismissed because of HUB, peek, flow, swipes, or any of that, it was dismissed because their favorite (or important) app was not available for it.

I tried Android, iOS, and BB10. I liked BB10 best, and am sorry that it was mishandled and has failed. It's really that simple. You don't understand that? OK, you don't get it. It's not the end of the world and when the time comes I will move on to whatever else works best for me. However, this is CrackBerry, and talk about these things is why we are here, isn't it?

Posted via CB10
    A problem that few people understand is that the BEST features of BB10 (hub, peek, flow, active frames etc) don't translate very well to marketing. Takes too much to explain these features.

For example, the hub, "all your messaging needs in one place" does not do justice to it. It explains the concept, but most consumers wouldn't actually see all advantages without experiencing BB10.

The same could be applied to all the other BB10 features. To really understand and appreciate them you must get to use BB10.
    09-27-15 03:44 PM
    Absolutely - that is why I need an android or ios phone - to get the apps that my enterprise uses - that is why Chen is going android because he knows there any many many many people who cannot exist in the Bb10 ghetto.
    You make it sound like I was arguing against BlackBerry going android. I will also be getting the slider (I even mentioned it in my post), and I still think going for the android market is the best decision. My point in this thread though was that I always thought BB10 would be cross-subsidised and re-introduced further down the line.

I also need apps, and the combination of android apps + bb hub + physical keyboard is more appealing to me than bb10 at the moment. BB10 with a lot of apps though, which I thought BB would be working for in the long run, would be even better.
    Klein Phua likes this.
    09-27-15 04:04 PM
    Face it people, if moving to Android is bothering you that bad, you're a real geek/nerd in the non-complimentary sense, and you need to get laid. It's just a phone. All the major institutions have been Android or IOS compatible for a couple of years now. Chen's incentives to make Priv successful is selling the app packages that will secure other brands Android platforms. 99.5% of Consumers and Enterprises have spoken and they prefer Android with all it's perceived shortcomings. You cannot make an OS your business model when only 1/2% of the market voluntarily choose it. Keep your dignity and don't embarrass yourselves.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-15 04:06 PM
    I speculate that JC is saying that BB10 is going to be "maintained" for a respectable period(subject to financial realities).
    He is telling the big corps and government agencies that Android is the future but.... if they want further BB10 development as in new devices, qt5 and whatever else, they are going to have to show him the money. This is honestly what I hear in these two statements. I would think the cost of taking BB10 out of sustaining mode is going to be shockingly expensive and will take time. Most of the former employees that they want won't be sitting by the phone.
    HereticHermit likes this.
    09-27-15 04:49 PM
    I currently have five BB's- 2 Z10's, a Z30, Classic and Passport. also, an Iphone 6, an HTC and a few others I hook up from time to time. Obviously I love the OS10, but what I don't love, is when my bank starts mobile banking, I can't do it on a BB; when I try and get an app from foreign radio and tv stations, same deal; when I buy a Fitbit, no BB app; when I buy any product, there is no BB app. Now I have followed the instructions in the forums and loaded Google Play Store on the Passport and Classic. The work ok, but just ok. At some point, as wonderful as they are in my business, I get tired of not having the apps coming out.

So, BB goes with an android system, it is secure (hopefully) and we get the hub, calls out of the notes sections of Contacts with just a touch, and give up the swipe. Well, I had to learn the swipe, since before the Z10, I wasn't using a BB any longer. If BB is to survive in the handset business, they need to do this. I will get a Priv as soon as one is available, use it instead of my Classic, keep the Passport as a mini-computer and be a happy camper. What I can't understand, is how EVERYTIME BB looks down the road, they miss what people will want. But, they came up with the best phones there are in my opinion. I don't have a natural bias against an android phone, I just prefer how a BB swipes and works, but if I can get it on an android based BB, so much the better.

Even if this is the end of BB10, so what? Three years ago we didn't have a BB10, we seemed to survive. I plan on doing the same.
    09-27-15 04:50 PM
    Face it people, if moving to Android is bothering you that bad, you're a real geek/nerd in the non-complimentary sense, and you need to get laid. It's just a phone. All the major institutions have been Android or IOS compatible for a couple of years now. Chen's incentives to make Priv successful is selling the app packages that will secure other brands Android platforms. 99.5% of Consumers and Enterprises have spoken and they prefer Android with all it's perceived shortcomings. You cannot make an OS your business model when only 1/2% of the market voluntarily choose it. Keep your dignity and don't embarrass yourselves.

Posted via CB10
    Not liking Google and their blatant invasion of privacy dogs make anyone a geek. Bb10 was a good alternative to avoid that. Heck I won't even use Google Chrome, I try to avoid using any of their "services". Am I a person that deals with sensitive information on a regular basis? Yes, after not all of it is personal. The idea that the apps on my phone want access to every freaking thing on my phone doesn't sit well.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-15 04:58 PM
    He did, the customer has decided, BlackBerry 10 sales continue to drop. It's Android or nothing at this point.
    This begs the question of how much of the consumer market is even aware that blackberry still exists? I know the decision was largely based on business professionals and BES12.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-15 04:58 PM
    I was wrong, BB10 is dead. Since news of a BlackBerry secured android came out, I have been a strong defender of an android alternative being good news for BB10.

...snip...

This saddens me. I love the productivity of BB10, and I was hoping that android would help the company to grow and keep BB10 around. I will of course buy the slider, and probably a few more devices when they come out, but longer term, I am feeling that Windows 10 Mobile with continuum is starting to sound weirdly interesting. If I am lucky maybe I can get a BlackBerry slider with Windows 10 down the line, once the BlackBerry productivity suite finds its way there.
    I feel the same... but it's not until I heard it from Chen himself that I would accept it. The most frustrating thing is that apathy and lack of imagination are what keep good things from getting done and it looks to me like Chen suffers from both.
    KAM1138 and Allanon89 like this.
    09-27-15 05:17 PM
    I don't think so. Eventually you will have a dual os

Posted via CB10
    09-27-15 05:35 PM
    Talking of letting your emotions getting carried away it's only mobile phone for God sake.

Posted via CB10
    Lol

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-27-15 06:01 PM
    Not liking Google and their blatant invasion of privacy dogs make anyone a geek. Bb10 was a good alternative to avoid that. Heck I won't even use Google Chrome, I try to avoid using any of their "services". Am I a person that deals with sensitive information on a regular basis? Yes, after not all of it is personal. The idea that the apps on my phone want access to every freaking thing on my phone doesn't sit well.

Posted via CB10
    The point is that a lot of us deal with sensitive data with clients and have to deal with Privacy Act, HIPA or any other multitude of laws and regulations. The whole process of government certification of Android or IOS means that BB10 was becoming irrelevant even in these remaining areas. Technology is moving and the key is embracing where it's going and improving said technology. The mistake BlackBerry made is thinking avoidance was a strategy.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-15 06:13 PM
    You are right..
    But bb10 phones will continue to be in there os only..
    As there are lot of Govt companies and private companies that are secured with bb10..

But there will be no new phones in bb10..

Posted via CB10
    09-27-15 06:27 PM
240 1234 ...