1) bb10 already did that a few years ago.
    2). How is pulling out your phone faster/more efficient than pulling out your wallet? Unless you totally get rid of your wallet, you are still carrying it on you and the wallet never runs out of battery!

Yeah, I've never really understood the fascination with NFC tap and pay with a phone. I've seen people fumble around with a phone, having to turn on their device, maybe turn on NFC etc etc. It is usually just as easy and efficient to take out your bank card and tap.
    09-28-15 08:02 AM
    1) bb10 already did that a few years ago.
    2). How is pulling out your phone faster/more efficient than pulling out your wallet? Unless you totally get rid of your wallet, you are still carrying it on you and the wallet never runs out of battery!
    They did do that a few years ago but it isn't as widely accessible or used as Android Pay or Apple Pay.

Using my phone instead of my wallet to pay for something will only save me seconds. Just like using swipe gestures or the hub, compared to android or ios.

Someone on here said they valued their time and I guess that's why bb10 is better? I'm just trying to point out that one can be just as efficient on Android or iOS even if it lacks the gestures and even if it isn't as snappy as bb10

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
    09-28-15 08:03 AM
    Ummm BlackBerry has the tap to pay.

It depends on your bank and your carrier. I was with Bell and bank with RBC which had this tap to pay service using your phone. I had to get a different Sim card with a built in nfc chip.

Posted via CB10
    My point is that it's not supported everywhere and like you said, your bank has to be on board with it. Seems like almost every bank is on board with Android/Apple pay

09-28-15 08:06 AM
    Maybe not, but 83% of people worldwide certainly don't seem to mind.

PassportSQW100-4/10.3.2.2639
    Most of them don't even know they are tracked.
    Yes, I'd like to think that I am in the top 1%, at least in intelect...
    09-28-15 08:11 AM
    I'd like to see them skin android and make it act like bb10 if that's possible, the whole peek and flow. I guess that experience didn't sell

Posted via CB10
    I would as well and it's certainly not out of the question. Android is supremely customisable, but it will take time and money, which were in short supply where getting the Priv designed, built, tested and in production for release. If BlackDroid/Priv is successful (which, honestly, I doubt very much without the proper price point), it would not surprise me in the least if BBRY were to develop a GUI that simulates BB10 far more closely than it currently seems to.
    09-28-15 08:11 AM
    My point is that it's not supported everywhere and like you said, your bank has to be on board with it. Seems like almost every bank is on board with Android/Apple pay

Your point is that you let your bank, Google, and others like them make your choices instead of you imposing your choices on them. You pay them, not vice-versa.
    Last edited by sorinv; 09-28-15 at 09:23 AM.
    09-28-15 08:12 AM
    The day that BlackBerry announce the End Of Lifetime for BB10, that tis the day when start thinking about alternatives.
    It is clear that more Devs will steer toward iOS or Android which means less new apps and less updates. But for me this is not enough to abandon BB10 right now.

And perhaps BlackBerry will prove us all wrong and the BB version of Lollipop (or whatever the name is), will become as good as BB10.
    RyanGermann and cleaner24 like this.
    09-28-15 08:22 AM
    If the Priv gets hacked, which will most likely happen, it could be a good thing for BB10.

Posted via the amazing Passport
    And what hacker won't be out there going after the big bad security demon Blackberry as soon as it is released. But the media will twist it into a Blackberry Fail
    09-28-15 08:38 AM
    And what hacker won't be out there going after the big bad security demon Blackberry as soon as it is released. But the media will twist it into a Blackberry Fail
    No "twisting" involved.

That would be a major fail on the part of Blackberry and Chen.
    KAM1138 likes this.
    09-28-15 08:47 AM
    As things fone go. Now we'll just be like every other mundane fone, lumped together. The bended, rooted and kilded. Eeeeew!
    How long till BBM is dead too? Whatsapp. Eeeeeew!
    Who will be the last person to post a comment on CB?
    Lol
    09-28-15 09:32 AM
    I'll be very much hated for this but I'll say it anyway: Google needs to swallow BlackBerry and incorporate all the wonderful things BB10 has going for it, into their Nexus line of full touch screens. Also, have Passport and Classic versions for the PKB crowd.

I will end up buying the Venice but not without fighting, kicking and crying for BB10.
    09-28-15 10:15 AM
    The thing is, right now Apple has the brand power that ANY commercial would be a success. If you would take the same commercial, remove iPhones and put BBs instead (the rest of the commercial stays the same), it would still do nothing for BB.
    That is, in fact, exactly what I meant - had Apple's ad agency been working on BB10's launch, and done what I described above, I think sales would have doubled - though in the long run I think we'd still be back here, because even double the sales wouldn't have been enough to draw in developers to create an ecosystem, and that's what really matters today (and since around 2011 or so).
    09-28-15 10:19 AM
    You can't have one foot in both doors forever. BB is not a big enough company to develop both platforms at the same time for a long period of time.
    09-28-15 10:38 AM
    The lie is that Android will save the hardware division. It wont. This is a flash in the pan play to get some further revenue out of hardware so they have a bit more time to ramp up the software side.

BlackBerry as a retail handset maker is over.
    09-28-15 10:46 AM
    If the Priv gets hacked, which will most likely happen, it could be a good thing for BB10.

Posted via the amazing Passport
    Yes, the one that hacked the Android Blackphone and said "BlackBerry is next" now has a very good opportunity with the Priv. It seems that he had a tough time with BlackBerry 10.
    09-28-15 11:37 AM
    I feel the same way. I am one of the last hold outs at work still on BB. Every now and then I think about jumping ship to get the things I am lacking, but I am not a fan of apple (I have a iPad and don't like it.) but then I realize I just have to give up too much. No blend, can't wake with my ford sync hands free, no office file access, no syncing of notes.... just frustrating that you always have to choose in this day and age. One phone should be able to do it all - and not steal all your info. If I am going to go to an android phone, I am going to go to one that has been doing it forever. I stuck with BB all these years because I like what it has to offer. If they are going to go android, then they will be just like everyone else and might as well jump ship. Even though I will take loads of crap from the "I told you so" crowd, I guess it is time to jump. Sad day. I love BB10, but like many have said - must have been too little too late.
    Reed Richards likes this.
    09-28-15 12:08 PM
    No less than this was expected. I never thought that they would maintain two OS streams. It is unfortunate but the market has spoken. No apps means no interest. No interest, no buyers, and no buyers means no revenue to support continued development. At least they will stick with it until they get Android to approximately the same level as BlackBerry 10.
    09-28-15 12:11 PM
    My phone runs Apple! But seriously it's not looking good for BB10. Perhaps they can keep it alive with limited apps/ecosystem support and brand it as the "security and communications OS".

As someone who thought BB should have gone Android from the beginning, what a waste of time/resources/money BB10 was. I surmise if BB had really focused on Android, they could have up to 25% of that market now.

Now it might be too late
    09-28-15 12:21 PM
    My phone runs Apple! But seriously it's not looking good for BB10. Perhaps they can keep it alive with limited apps/ecosystem support and brand it as the "security and communications OS".

As someone who thought BB should have gone Android from the beginning, what a waste of time/resources/money BB10 was. I surmise if BB had really focused on Android, they could have up to 25% of that market now.

Now it might be too late
    They can't afford to support two OSes simultaneously and the development staff have all but been totally discharged; there's no one left to further develop the feature set. It's security and maintenance updates until the declared EOL. As for the cost, yes, they lost quite a bit on BB10 specifically but they are seeing returns on QNX as the embedded system for IoT. They have and will continue to develop it, I'm certain.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-15 12:37 PM
    John Chen is all about Android. He never had plans to save BlackBerry. As soon as bb10 is 6 feet deep, I'll be switching back to pay phones. My money will never be spent on iPhone or Android.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-15 12:43 PM

Errr... I don't think it matters if it was with Android. The Bank has to approve of that service regardless what phone it goes on.

RBC only recently allowed pay to tap on through their app. Doesn't matter if you were on Android or IOS. I think what Apple Pay and whatever Google does is you are given an account. Then what Google and Apple Pay would send you the bill.

Kinda like a pre-paid creditcard. When you tap, the cost is deducted from your google/apple pay account, then you can link your bank with that and you can top it up whenever.

With an actual tap and pay, the carrier has to send that signal (hence why you need an NFC chipped Sim card), to your bank account and your actual bank account statement would be updated in real time.

I could be wrong, but this is the most logical way of how I see google and apple pay works.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-15 12:59 PM
    The lie is that Android will save the hardware division. It wont. This is a flash in the pan play to get some further revenue out of hardware so they have a bit more time to ramp up the software side.

BlackBerry as a retail handset maker is over.
    Chen said they would have to sell 5 million to break even in the handset business. I want to believe that the Priv will easily make that target. There are so many Android phone companys, doesn't seem that hard to turn a profit. With Android, Blackberry almost cut of the cost all the software development in the smartphone except for the adition of security features. They even bothered to add a different screen to the Priv it seems
    09-28-15 01:13 PM
    the answer to the end of bb10 is simple - if Priv does not do well, the device business is finished. if the device business is finished, so is bb10. who knows, maybe the Priv version of Android will be even better than bb10. why not? progress is about looking forward, not backward. can't see how people can come to any kind of conclusion when no one has even seen it yet, other than a few sketchy videos. and do not underestimate the reach of google either. if it is true they have co-developed it with blackberry, that will be a HUGE boost to the credibility of this unit. and like them or not, they are a global player and their reach extends far beyond cell phones alone.
    Last edited by kputock; 09-28-15 at 02:22 PM.
    DolemiteDONS likes this.
    09-28-15 01:16 PM
    John Chen is all about Android. He never had plans to save BlackBerry. As soon as bb10 is 6 feet deep, I'll be switching back to pay phones. My money will never be spent on iPhone or Android.
    LOL. Payphones?

I'd argue that this is saving BBRY, but time will tell.
    Shadowyugi likes this.
    09-28-15 01:28 PM
    I'd argue that this is saving BBRY, but time will tell.
    I agree, this will increase sales in the BlackBerry handset division, which contributes to the overall "end-to-end" solution that a technology company like BlackBerry can survive by providing. As a BlackBerry shareholder, making an Android device is one of the many good decisions they could have made to increase shareholder value. The most blunt and obvious one, certainly, but I believe it will be successful for BlackBerry.

But why give a darn? It's an Android device. Chen's BNN demo shows that once one is accustomed to BB10 (let's call that "effortless"), other mobile OS' basic operation becomes ungainly and almost confusing, "effort-full", requiring lots of thinking to know where you're going next.

<melodrama>It's like being a concert pianist, having your grand piano taken away and being given a honkey-tonk piano from a speakeasy, and being told to make do with it... every note brings a tear to your eye, remembering how it used to be, and lamenting how it could have been.</melodrama>
    09-28-15 01:38 PM
240 ... 23456 ...