Three years ago we didn't have a BB10, we seemed to survive.
    Amen, brother.

That's what the BN Chuck Finley would say, not the knucklehead version that shows up here.
    09-27-15 08:10 PM
    Is it? A less productive mobile OS costs me time, time that quickly adds up. Time I would much rather spend with friends and family. Only a mobile? No, it is time, the only thing money can never buy.
    I am sorry but I am really trying to see your point but I can't. Give us an example of how BB10 is saving you time. I love BB10 because the OS made sense to me and was very pleasant to use but I can't say it saved me time.
    vgorous likes this.
    09-27-15 08:12 PM
    If the Priv gets hacked, which will most likely happen, it could be a good thing for BB10.
    Because people gravitate away from a device because it's been hacked? I'm trying to think of when that has actually happened. People may be concerned about it and may expect that security be tightened up but that's about it. If this were true then use of credit cards and checks would have fallen off precipitously over the years.
    09-27-15 08:15 PM
    A problem that few people understand is that the BEST features of BB10 (hub, peek, flow, active frames etc) don't translate very well to marketing. Takes too much to explain these features.

For example, the hub, "all your messaging needs in one place" does not do justice to it. It explains the concept, but most consumers wouldn't actually see all advantages without experiencing BB10.

The same could be applied to all the other BB10 features. To really understand and appreciate them you must get to use BB10.
    And, yet, I bet Apple could do exactly what I thought BB should have done at launch: make 30 second TV commercials demonstrating ONE of these features each. It could essentially be a version of the "I'm a Mac" commercial - show it one way and then show it the BB10 way. That would have helped millions of people understand the difference.

But, also like Apple, BB would have first had to have had the commercials that said "This new phone is all new from the ground up, and it's AMAZING." Instead, they wanted you to see BB and "keep moving" - presumably to iOS or Android. BB's commercials make HTC look like marketing geniuses - and that's BAD!
    09-27-15 08:44 PM
    This is Chen's master plan--he will build a "secure android" phone, it will be hacked by XDA, then he will proclaim to all those who require security (0.00002%) of mobile users "See, we NEED BB10"!!! J.K. lol
    XDA is largely in favor of Android but I bet that someone into Def Con will hack the phone, and this person may or may not be a part of the XDA community. It's likely to be done in the name of fun, though, and any findings would be made available to Blackberry. Most hackers prefer Android (for personal use, mind you) but have a general fondness for Blackberry. When the Black Phone is released, however, this is likely to be their platform of choice.

It's not dead, but it's certainly going to be in a year.*

*I used to think that BB10 would never die out because it's the only smartphone ecosystem that's been government and regulated-industry approved for use and that THOSE clients would be what keep our consumer devices continuously supported and maintained.*

Then I found out BBRY's position with gov'ts isn't exclusive and that Samsung, Motorola, and Huawei all have FIPS 140-2 approved devices that run Android: http://csrc.nist.gov/groups/STM/cmvp...40val-all.htm*

*So, yes, I am inclined to agree that BB10 will continue to receive incremental updates until they get the Priv and subsequent Android devices certified and in the hands of their gov't clients. Then the plug is pulled on BB10. In fact, Chen mentions it here: *

BlackBerry announces secure Android phone called Priv

And foreshadowed here:‎

BlackBerry Ltd working with Google Inc to secure Android devices

Posted via CB10
    Well, two of the three links are dead. Not sure about in other countries but here in the States "the gov't" spends money on leasing BlackBerry security patents to deploy by their own means, not necessarily in buying handsets or even BES.

Not to sound trite, but it does surprise me that people are, well, surprised.

BB10 hasn't been competitive for quite some time. It never had the requisite pieces.

I do find the fond memories of Thor in some threads hilarious. Times change. Hopefully, JC still has white horse he ride in on.
    Well, I find it hilarious that many refer to John Chen as JC. You know, as if he were the Second Coming or something. Oh wait...

But it is surprising, though. For sixteen years and some change RIM/BlackBerry was distinctly BlackBerry. Now, all of sudden not only is there not going to be a new flagship BB10 handset, or even a new BB10 handset that anyone knows of in general, but that there is going to be a new BlackBerry flagship and it is Android!? Right, and you're surprised that others are surprised? Give me a break. It would have been less surprising if Chen took BlackBerry out of the handset business altogether.

No. BB10 itself is now quite competitive as it could hold it's own as an OS alone. It's BlackBerry who is not competitive but that is only partially their fault and largely happened before Chen came on board.
    09-28-15 12:46 AM
    By your logic, Apple has no business in the desktop computer business.
    Not true now. Apples marketshare in all PCs is low. But their share of profits is very high. And when you look at just premium laptop marketshare in richer economies I think there are even cases where Apple leads in marketshare and profits.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-28-15 01:00 AM
    And, yet, I bet Apple could do exactly what I thought BB should have done at launch: make 30 second TV commercials demonstrating ONE of these features each. It could essentially be a version of the "I'm a Mac" commercial - show it one way and then show it the BB10 way. That would have helped millions of people understand the difference.

But, also like Apple, BB would have first had to have had the commercials that said "This new phone is all new from the ground up, and it's AMAZING." Instead, they wanted you to see BB and "keep moving" - presumably to iOS or Android. BB's commercials make HTC look like marketing geniuses - and that's BAD!
    The thing is, right now Apple has the brand power that ANY commercial would be a success. If you would take the same commercial, remove iPhones and put BBs instead (the rest of the commercial stays the same), it would still do nothing for BB.
    Shadowyugi likes this.
    09-28-15 01:35 AM
    I think I will be happy with the priv as long as it has the hub and dark theme options like bb10 does. I love dark theme.

09-28-15 01:41 AM
    The thing is, right now Apple has the brand power that ANY commercial would be a success. If you would take the same commercial, remove iPhones and put BBs instead (the rest of the commercial stays the same), it would still do nothing for BB.
    BlackBerry is realistically the black sheep the general populace don't want to support.
    09-28-15 03:09 AM
    BlackBerry is realistically the black sheep the general populace don't want to support.
    Because BB also dropped the ball for the consumers. People wanted iPhone-like devices, and BB gave then Bolds and Storms and Torches. People tend NOT to support companies that don't give them what they want.
    JeepBB and eyesopen1111 like this.
    09-28-15 04:07 AM
    It looks like a few things from.bb10 hub should migrate successfully to android. Bb10 failings is that they should had paid developers to do the mission critical consumer apps. Native at least 20 apps and marketed the security more.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-15 04:41 AM
    I was wrong, BB10 is dead. Since news of a BlackBerry secured android came out, I have been a strong defender of an android alternative being good news for BB10.
    Yup, you my friend just got Chenned. The conclusion came to me when I heard of Android being one of their OS, plus the road map of BB10 isn't going anywhere. Better decide to invest on something stable now, rather to find yourself feeling hopeless about BB10. I admit I still can't decide of which OS I will be going. With apple? For sure it won't be a long run, but if BlackBerry implements a better push email from their BlackBerry Suite, I might consider coming back with Android if the that BlackBerry Suite is much more richer in Android platform.

In the end, the only thing that will be sell-able from BlackBerry is their software and security (being on the mobile consumer business). And that I could live another day without a physical keyboard as long as I get a handy device with better battery life, fast email and high quality apps.
    09-28-15 04:42 AM
    I'd like to see them skin android and make it act like bb10 if that's possible, the whole peek and flow. I guess that experience didn't sell

Posted via CB10
    09-28-15 04:46 AM
    It's the word "Merge" that intrigues me.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2576 O2 UK
    Yes, an interesting choice of words.
    09-28-15 04:48 AM
    Yes, an interesting choice of words.

As mentioned above - have you ever heard Chen speak about mobile technology? It's word soup so when he says "merge" he could be talking about literally anything and likely nothing to do with actually merging BB10 into Android.
    LuvULongTime and 1Criz like this.
    09-28-15 05:48 AM

But it is surprising, though. For sixteen years and some change RIM/BlackBerry was distinctly BlackBerry. Now, all of sudden not only is there not going to be a new flagship BB10 handset, or even a new BB10 handset that anyone knows of in general, but that there is going to be a new BlackBerry flagship and it is Android!? Right, and you're surprised that others are surprised? Give me a break. It would have been less surprising if Chen took BlackBerry out of the handset business altogether.

No. BB10 itself is now quite competitive as it could hold it's own as an OS alone. It's BlackBerry who is not competitive but that is only partially their fault and largely happened before Chen came on board.
    Pragmatically, BB10 isn't competitive.

Yes, one could blame BBRY for it not being competitive, but ever since it became more about layered platforms than just base OSes, BB10 has struggled. It's not a swipe at the OS, just a fact.

For some folks (not necessarily you), the current state is shocking, which indicates to me a bit of an ostrich going on. Lost marketshare, delayed device rollouts, failed licensing overtures, failed sale attempts, markdowns and more, all after laughing at the supposed improbability of the iPhone. Nah, BBRY has been spiraling out of control for some time, and much as I hate to admit it, one actually starts to wonder if the folks who called for Android 4 years ago were right.

I do agree: this stuff predates JayCee.

Seems so.
    LuvULongTime likes this.
    09-28-15 05:49 AM
    I'd like to see them skin android and make it act like bb10 if that's possible, the whole peek and flow. I guess that experience didn't sell

Posted via CB10
    It probably won't be possible to reproduce it exactly like it is on BB10 and it is also questionable whether that would make sense from a consumer perspective.

Android people, which will make up for a big part of BlackBerry's Android userbase, do not want extremely customized UI. It took Samsung several years to get TouchWiz to an acceptable level and by now I've heard a lot of people say that they prefer pure versions of Android over others.

Also, if you get a thin Android client, you'll probably see updates faster and it will be a lot more stable. I'm sure people will consider this phone so BlackBerry should not mess up with the software again.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-15 06:01 AM
    I didn't see anyone claim them to be "magical". That's a strawman argument. People who use those features seem to like them. The problem with your analysis is that the vast majority of those other 99.5% have never tried it, and most of the people I encounter have never even SEEN it. For those that did - it more than likely was not dismissed because of HUB, peek, flow, swipes, or any of that, it was dismissed because their favorite (or important) app was not available for it.

I tried Android, iOS, and BB10. I liked BB10 best, and am sorry that it was mishandled and has failed. It's really that simple. You don't understand that? OK, you don't get it. It's not the end of the world and when the time comes I will move on to whatever else works best for me. However, this is CrackBerry, and talk about these things is why we are here, isn't it?

Posted via CB10
    That's how I felt when webOS met it's end. I wasn't angry or furious about it. I was bummed out but was eager to try out android. It wasn't as great as webOS but it got the job done.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
    09-28-15 06:54 AM
    I am sorry but I am really trying to see your point but I can't. Give us an example of how BB10 is saving you time. I love BB10 because the OS made sense to me and was very pleasant to use but I can't say it saved me time.
    Yeah I also want to know this. Google just introduced tap to pay, so being able to pay for something at the store with my phone saves me the hassle of pulling out my wallet and taking my credit card out.

That's just one thing that android is capable of. I'm sure I can be just as productive on iOS and Android.

09-28-15 07:02 AM
    Not liking Google and their blatant invasion of privacy dogs make anyone a geek. Bb10 was a good alternative to avoid that. Heck I won't even use Google Chrome, I try to avoid using any of their "services". Am I a person that deals with sensitive information on a regular basis? Yes, after not all of it is personal. The idea that the apps on my phone want access to every freaking thing on my phone doesn't sit well.

Posted via CB10
    Yes. Not everyone likes to be tracked 24/7 like farm animals or convicts.
    Reed Richards likes this.
    09-28-15 07:40 AM
    Yes. Not everyone likes to be tracked 24/7 like farm animals or convicts.
    Maybe not, but 83% of people worldwide certainly don't seem to mind.

PassportSQW100-4/10.3.2.2639
    ayngling likes this.
    09-28-15 07:45 AM
    Yeah I also want to know this. Google just introduced tap to pay, so being able to pay for something at the store with my phone saves me the hassle of pulling out my wallet and taking my credit card out.

That's just one thing that android is capable of. I'm sure I can be just as productive on iOS and Android.

1) bb10 already did that a few years ago.
    2). How is pulling out your phone faster/more efficient than pulling out your wallet? Unless you totally get rid of your wallet, you are still carrying it on you and the wallet never runs out of battery!
    09-28-15 07:46 AM
    Maybe not, but 83% of people worldwide certainly don't seem to mind.

PassportSQW100-4/10.3.2.2639
    That's because WE really are animals-smart animals
    09-28-15 07:57 AM
    Not true now. Apples marketshare in all PCs is low. But their share of profits is very high. And when you look at just premium laptop marketshare in richer economies I think there are even cases where Apple leads in marketshare and profits.

And it's the same situation with the iPhone. Smaller market share than Android handsets combined, but it has the highest share of the profits. Apple is smart. They aren't racing to the bottom to sell budget devices. If someone wants an iPhone they'll have to pay for it.
    southlander likes this.
    09-28-15 08:00 AM

Ummm BlackBerry has the tap to pay.

It depends on your bank and your carrier. I was with Bell and bank with RBC which had this tap to pay service using your phone. I had to get a different Sim card with a built in nfc chip.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-15 08:00 AM
240 12345 ...