I know I will get some slack for this, however this phone is awesome in its own way PKB, VKB, BB APPS. The approach that I wish John Chen and the crew at BB would have taken would have been to release an android phone that had given you the true BB experience or the closets to their vision. This would have meant skinning android like Samsung, LG and others due as these is what really differentiate these devices in the market. To me just leaving stock android with some apps and very light BB presence is why I think we see more meh its a good phone comments. Had they provided the phone with their full BB Skin custom software to run on top of Android this would have been much better to me it just works and looks good with their keyboards and services, sure there would be some differences but you have free reign over your devices custom OS, just like touchwiz and color OS, and all of the others. I thin when Moto went with this stock look with light features everyone meaning TECH Bloggers and us TECH Geeks went nuts about how great it is to see such a stock resemblance, but what makes people buy samsung and LG and HTC are their version of android offerings along with some good hardware. I would have preferred a heavily skinned as close to BB10 with features that you can get on top of lollipop and for those that do not want it give them the option to turn the features off just like samsung and lg does but at least it is its own. The only stock android device is Nexus phones all of the others have their own OS and they make big money BB should have went this route so that we could have enjoyed a more custom featured rich phone vs a stock android with some apps. This is not to start arguments just my opinion and hoping that eventually they will do this because you can be successful and in the end its about software and hardware that makes the others stand out if everyone offered stock android look android would be very boring.
    11-16-15 09:14 AM
    All of that takes time, experience and resources.....

Sorry but BlackBerry did what they were able to do. Now they may very well want to do more, but that will depend on how sales go and if resources become available to do them.
    d a elliott likes this.
    11-16-15 09:18 AM
    All of that takes time, experience and resources.....

Sorry but BlackBerry did what they were able to do. Now they may very well want to do more, but that will depend on how sales go and if resources become available to do them.
    I agree Dunt Dunt Dunt, I was just giving what I wish they had of done it would have been really great to see that, i know they had little time to get this and here's to hoping that a future BB Android device maybe the second PRIV is actually customized more to BB10 or whatever it will be called by then I want to see more of these devices BB wasn't on top in the past for nothing and Android can use a new challenger to Sammy but to do that you need custom software thats why people keep buying they like the features that run smoothly sometimes laggy on top of android vs stock that is the average consumer not techie.
    11-16-15 09:25 AM
    I see your points, but to me I completely disagree. Even most reviews state that a major positive of this phone is that it runs nearly stock android, which is how I feel. I have Samsung skins and touchwiz becomes brutally laggy and slow after about a year, so I think as close to stock android is the best bet. I think Blackberry was smart they way they have done it.
    deadcowboy, Vorkosigan and nbaliga like this.
    11-16-15 10:06 AM
    I see your points, but to me I completely disagree. Even most reviews state that a major positive of this phone is that it runs nearly stock android, which is how I feel. I have Samsung skins and touchwiz becomes brutally laggy and slow after about a year, so I think as close to stock android is the best bet. I think Blackberry was smart they way they have done it.
    Also this way BlackBerry can add in there own skin if they wish and take it to a point where customers are happy.

The problem with this phone is that they need more than the BlackBerry faithful to make it a success.

I think the marshmallow version may have a bit more of a BlackBerry look and will definitely have features that we have all missed.

I think they are better to add things in to a point where every one is happy rather than having to shed things to get the buying public interested and annoying the remains of the BlackBerry faithful in the process.

Posted via CB10
    nokia4life likes this.
    11-16-15 11:12 AM
    If it was as heavily skinned as Samsung I wouldn't have bought one, updates take long enough on android as it is so the fewer changes the better imo.
    GPuba likes this.
    11-16-15 11:20 AM
    If it was as heavily skinned as Samsung I wouldn't have bought one, updates take long enough on android as it is so the fewer changes the better imo.
    Exactly! If skinned... they cannot promise timely updates! Pick your poison.
    11-16-15 11:40 AM
    I see your point and agree and don't take me wrong I have a note 5 so I know these can get quite laggy using touchwiz but what I am looking for is something not has heavy but that gives you that good blackberry experience, I don't mind not having the phone look like stock android that is what I have my nexus 6p for if I want stock i go with nexus if i don't want stock i go with Samsung, LG, BB (now) or whatever else comes out thats worth it, thats all that I am saying you have great points .
    11-16-15 11:43 AM

Great point however i wasn't asking for a heavily skinned phone I was asking for me of blackberry's experience everyone has great points as to why or why not , mine is again if i want stock android i get a nexus , if i want someone's experience of their version i get another brand thats all.
    11-16-15 11:44 AM
    ^ Exactly this.

I was worried that that was the route BlackBerry was going to take. As much as I love how my BB10 functions, a lot of that love stems from the fact that 2+ years later and I don't have any lag.

Very unlike any Samsung phone I have ever seen which all seem to start lagging at about the 6 month mark. No thanks. I was pleasantly surprised at how BlackBerry implemented things.

Posted via CB10
    11-16-15 12:08 PM
    I disagree. I hate Samsungs bloat and many people like the appeal of near-stock Android.

Posted via CB10
    GPuba likes this.
    11-16-15 12:10 PM
    OMG There is a reason people buy Samsung and why they dominate androids landscape it's not because they are running stock android and their hardware just got great this year. The note 5 wouldn't be a note without the software which is great, that is what makes that phone sale millions not running stock android (add in advertising). I got a nexus 6p was the stock experience All I wanted to see was less stock android and more BB on the priv thats all. If these manufacturers knew how to implement their own OS/Software on top, with features from marshmallow they would have a killer phone, a software company should be able to do this and that is what BB is a software company. So yes I like stock android but on a nexus. Yes, I said most reviewers are going to always give love to phones that are stock like however that turns the market into a bunch of phones that are the same just different styles no longer unique all for 1hr more battery time vs a skin. Google wants these guys to out do them the stock experience is a reference for them take and make it better not take this and add an app in the store. What the other manufacturers did was take the reference and messed it up but a true software company should be able to build their platform using stocks great features while building theirs into it for an even better experience IJS. I still love stock but only on Nexus phones and if i go with a diff manufacture i am testing their hardware along with their software ideas while getting all of the advantages of google services.
    11-16-15 12:37 PM
    Stock Android all the way, you can add anything according to how you like it.

It's like buying a car, you build it up ,not buy it built.
    Last edited by Resilience; 11-18-15 at 03:54 PM.
    nokia4life likes this.
    11-16-15 12:42 PM
    I have a s6 edge and seriously I just buy it for the style. I don't really like the touchwiz but I kept it cuz even when I change it to Google launcher, it is not smooth.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    11-16-15 12:56 PM
    I know I will get some slack for this, however this phone is awesome in its own way PKB, VKB, BB APPS. The approach that I wish John Chen and the crew at BB would have taken would have been to release an android phone that had given you the true BB experience or the closets to their vision. This would have meant skinning android like Samsung, LG and others due as these is what really differentiate these devices in the market.

To me just leaving stock android with some apps and very light BB presence is why I think we see more meh its a good phone comments. Had they provided the phone with their full BB Skin custom software to run on top of Android this would have been much better to me it just works and looks good with their keyboards and services, sure there would be some differences but you have free reign over your devices custom OS, just like touchwiz and color OS, and all of the others.

I think when Moto went with this stock look with light features everyone meaning TECH Bloggers and us TECH Geeks went nuts about how great it is to see such a stock resemblance, but what makes people buy samsung and LG and HTC are their version of android offerings along with some good hardware.

I would have preferred a heavily skinned as close to BB10 with features that you can get on top of lollipop and for those that do not want it give them the option to turn the features off just like samsung and lg does but at least it is its own. The only stock android device is Nexus phones all of the others have their own OS and they make big money BB should have went this route so that we could have enjoyed a more custom featured rich phone vs a stock android with some apps.

This is not to start arguments just my opinion and hoping that eventually they will do this because you can be successful and in the end its about software and hardware that makes the others stand out if everyone offered stock android look android would be very boring.
    There you have it folks, much easier to read now
    AnimalPak200 likes this.
    11-16-15 01:03 PM
    I agree that I wish the PRIV felt more BB10-ish.

But I do like the feel of stock Android I really dislike the loaders many companies but on their devices.
    For example TouchWiz, I agree TouchWiz has gotten SO much better in Lollipop than it was in KitKat but I still think I prefer stock Android usually.

 BlackBerry Z30 Chenpion 
    GPuba likes this.
    11-16-15 01:12 PM
    I'd like to see a comparison of the team that BlackBerry put together to adopt Android vs the team that Samsung has had to do the same thing over the years. I wouldn't be surprised if the ratio was 100 Samsung engineers to 1 Blackberry engineer.
    11-16-15 01:14 PM
    There is a negative attitude towards BlackBerry that is very popular. If they would have heavily skinned the Priv, they would have been destroyed for it (stuck in the stone ages, etc etc).

With what they did, particularly making most of the stuff optional, there is very little people can really criticize since it would mean they are criticizing their dear Android.

I would hope that, eventually, as their dev teams get better and grow, they will add more *optional* features. However, optional is the key. BlackBerry is not in the position to tell people 'they know better', because the popular opinion is that BlackBerry does not.

Posted via CB10
    GPuba likes this.
    11-16-15 01:15 PM
    Blackberry, at this point, needs to sell phones. A heavily skinned Berry will have a lag, won't get timely updates, and definitely not appeal to core Android users who love anything close to stock android. Berry could introduce a Blackberry launcher later on, for those of us who love the BB 10 experience.

Blackberry has to find a fine line btw their core BBERY users and Android users in order to sell enough hardware to remain the phone race.
    GPuba and Jrox74 like this.
    11-16-15 06:30 PM
    Looked at your post Op and they did

Samsung took a more stock approach to Touchwiz 6

Heavy skins arent always great
    11-16-15 07:26 PM
    Disagree.

I've owned several sammys and every one got rooted and loaded with cm to get the samsung CRAP off the device.

If it didn't blow it up and make it slow it would have been OK, but it did.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    GPuba likes this.
    11-16-15 07:38 PM