So, my trusty z 30 shows both internal and SD storage as drive letters. But the Priv shows as some weird generic thing. I'd really like to have it as a letter drive. I want to use xcopy to move a crap ton of music to the sd card.

any ideas?

#AndroidKindaBlows

I want to see the Priv SD Card as a letter drive on computer-sd-card-not-letter.jpgClick image for larger version. 

Name:	sd card not a letter.JPG 
Views:	477 
Size:	20.2 KB 
ID:	397566
    04-18-16 06:52 PM
    your priv shows internal memory and external card as well. just because you dont have drive letters you cant function? how much more descriptive can you get? internal memory/ sd card....The Android directory system may take a while to understand. i suggest you investigate it a little more before you start moving tons of music around
    04-18-16 07:04 PM
    My SD card show up as a drive letter but I don't see the internal storage.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    04-18-16 07:13 PM
    Set your device to Mass Storage mode instead of MTP.

As for what's going on, the answer is that the Priv uses the bog-standard MTP/PTP protocol, while the PlayBook/BB10 uses some sort of weird network drive setup.
    04-18-16 07:15 PM
    I just want the plain and simple wifi sharing that I had on the Z30 and the Z10 before that. Using Win Explorer I could copy/paste/move/delete files between my computer and those two phones without a cable and without one of the odd browser interfaces so many apps seem to employ with the Priv.
    jcbehm likes this.
    04-18-16 09:10 PM

As for what's going on, the answer is that the Priv uses the bog-standard MTP/PTP protocol, while the PlayBook/BB10 uses some sort of weird network drive setup.
    If you set it to mass storage, you can't access internal storage any longer when your device is hooked up via USB to your computer. Internal storage seems to be only accessible via the MTP option. With the Bold 9900 both showed up as drives when set to mass storage. I wonder why it's different with the Priv and more importantly, if it somehow can be fixed to show both in this so-called mass storage setting.
    04-19-16 05:51 AM
    I just want the plain and simple wifi sharing that I had on the Z30 and the Z10 before that. Using Win Explorer I could copy/paste/move/delete files between my computer and those two phones without a cable and without one of the odd browser interfaces so many apps seem to employ with the Priv.
    I'm with you on this.

Posted via the CB App for PRIV
    04-19-16 06:49 AM
    Run an FTP server, then?
    04-19-16 09:59 AM

Thank you Thurask, but I have not found any option in settings or anywhere else to put the phone into mass storage mode like you can in BlackBerry 10.

-from my Priv 5.1.1
    04-20-16 02:35 PM
    Thank you Thurask, but I have not found any option in settings or anywhere else to put the phone into mass storage mode like you can in BlackBerry 10.

-from my Priv 5.1.1
    Settings -> Storage -> Three dots -> USB Computer Connection -> MTP

I think you need a SD card, though.
    FF22 likes this.
    04-20-16 06:48 PM
    Settings -> Storage -> Three dots -> USB Computer Connection -> MTP

I think you need a SD card, though.
    Yes, I got to that. I thought you meant that there was a "USB Mass Storage" mode that would make a drive letter appear.

Thanks though!

-from my Priv 5.1.1
    04-22-16 10:26 AM