"I want a Priv that runs BB10."

Me too.
    11-12-15 06:41 PM
    If they port BB10 to the Priv, and charge for the software (they could require that you order BB10 for the Priv from your device, so it would use the PIN to encrypt the data in the autoloader, only decryptable on the device with the device PIN).

The Priv customer would buy the Priv at regular market price running Android. There goes the "They'd lose $100 on every device sold" argument. It's not a legitimate point to assert that BlackBerry 10 devices can not be sold at a profit in a world where BlackBerry is selling Android devices at a profit.

So, user buys Priv, pays, what, $50 to get BB10 for their Priv. Downloaded autoloader, installed on BB10.

How many people have to buy BB10 at $50 to make it worth BlackBerry's while to port BB10 to the Priv?

Only BlackBerry can say. But all of us can do simple math: if One Million BB10 enthusiasts are willing to pay $50 for BB10 on the Priv, or any other BlackBerry brand Android device built on the same SoC for that matter, then BlackBerry gets $50 million.

There is nothing on earth that will make me believe that a) it would cost BlackBerry FIFTY MILLION DOLLARS to port BB10 as it is, 10.3.1, to the Priv. I do believe that BlackBerry SHOULD do this in deference to loyal BB10 customers EVEN IF IT'S NOT HUGELY PROFITABLE, YES, EVEN IF THEY LOSE $10 MILLION ON IT... THEY. OWE. US.

Sure they don't see it that way, but BB10 customers have spent HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF DOLLARS, POSSIBLY ALMOST A BILLION DOLLARS buying BB10 devices. They DO "owe" us something.

I'm not asking them to flush $100s of millions down the toilet. I'm asking them to take up the task of porting BB10 as a "favour" to fans, and just breaking even on it. Heck, they might even make a profit on it, I'm not begrudging them that, but I don't respect BlackBerry for penny-pinching to the point of kicking loyal BB10 enthusiasts in the collective crotch and turning to Android.

They just abandoned BB10 users. Porting BB10 to the Priv would be a very inexpensive way to bring BB10 users to the next generation of hardware, even it's just a "goodbye gift" or "farewell gesture". Then they can close the book on BB10 saying "we tried to do right by our BB10 customers."

They can't say that at this point.
    I think the issue is that they can not manufacture any new devices that have runtime and BB10. They can just sell out their existing stock. I think this is the price they paid in moving to Android. They could sell a PRIV with no runtime but would it sell ? and would carriers stock it ? Probably not.

If Enterprise "end to end users " are sufficient in number to support a special run of BB10 PRIV you might see that. Could use chips from the Passport. Could this happen ? No, because end to end users are in such low numbers and they have other alternatives.

In my view the only customers that BlackBerry screwed were those who bought a Q10. They should have offered at least a two year warranty on all of those defective units.

Bottom line is that there are few buyers of PKB devices and even fewer buyers for a native BB10 PKB device. I like BB10 too BUT BB10 with no apps is a non-starter. All touch users have a choice, iOS, Android or Microsoft. PKB users have only one choice, BB-Android.
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 11-12-15 at 07:13 PM.
    11-12-15 06:45 PM
    Me too. I love bb10 and have been hoping for a nice big slider since my 9810 (which, BTW, was and still is an awesome phone)
    11-12-15 07:25 PM
    I believe I wrote "updated" several times, not "rewritten". I'm aware of the idea of scalable app resolutions, but in practice, no one wants a 1280 x 720 app just blown up to 2560 x 1440, i.e. doubled in each dimension. If more information can be displayed, then the user wants to take full advantage of it. Again, we have apps targeted at different BB10 aspect ratios. We have different number of apps displayed on the Z10 vs a Passport, etc.

I have no idea what the differences are from the 801 to 808, but if there are new CPU features, those need to be added somehow, either at the compiler stage, API level or direct access. Users won't want to have an 808 but utilizing only 801 functions.
    You miss the fact that a 5 inch screen at 1280 x 720 or 2560 X 1440 will display the same information. Your example only works if the screen size is increase in terms of inches and not resolutions.

The 801 and 808 will have almost the same features and little in terms of changes for the compiler. They are both ARM processors.
    11-12-15 07:44 PM
    If BB came out with a BB10 Priv, I'd buy it, as long as it was under $200. I don't do contracts, and I pay for my phones unlocked.

The problem is, I have a fantastic Droid that is Quad Core and has a 5" screen and is basically amazing. I got it for $79 off contract. That's roughly $700 less than a Priv. As someone that is saving for retirement, I'll put that money into my 401k rather than blow it on technology that will be outdated in 2 years. Plus, I like having a regular Droid as my personal phone while my BB10 is my main business phone. Two lines and two phones just work for me. That's what BBerry is really competing against. The Droid market is saturated with low cost high performance hardware. HTC is on the verge of bankruptcy because their hardware is just not selling. I hope Berry can pull the rabbit out of the hat but it's going to be a long road.

I just got a Z30 for $200 on Amazon ulocked. That will have to do. No Priv for me.
    11-12-15 07:55 PM
    You should wrote to John Chen because this is direct from him.
    Not everything Chen says is correct.
    They did that when they tried to fool us with the reason for removing the flashplayer (cost reduction) and when he said that Priv wass for privacy.

Yes, DTEK tells you that your Priv apps collect your data, but there is nothing at the moment that you can do other than to remove them, and you cannot remove Google Playstore from Priv. Google runs wdatamines ildly on your Priv.
    So, Chen tells you whatever suits his agenda at that particular moment.
    11-12-15 07:57 PM
    You know. I have always thought that statement is pure BS. If it cost millions of dollars to get drivers, they are getting gouged. I have seen open source graphics drivers for multiple devices and OS's. This is just a lie from Chen. It is now public knowledge that he planned the migration to Android as soon as he took over. This is just another statement in the line of "BB10 is coming to Playbook" and "We support BB10 developers". More lies.
    Yep!
    RyanGermann likes this.
    11-12-15 07:59 PM
    The BlackBerry Priv will never have BlackBerry OS 10 running on it as a publicly available smartphone.

BlackBerry Priv with CrackBerry App for Android
    11-12-15 08:01 PM
    This post is a let down. Get over it.

Posted with Priv
    11-12-15 08:02 PM
    You miss the fact that a 5 inch screen at 1280 x 720 or 2560 X 1440 will display the same information. Your example only works if the screen size is increase in terms of inches and not resolutions.

The 801 and 808 will have almost the same features and little in terms of changes for the compiler. They are both ARM processors.
    You can definitely pack more information into a higher resolution display, even without a screen size change. You can have a smaller font, which at the lower resolution, won't be readable, but will be at the higher resolution. If you just take existing icons/images and scale them up, they'll be slightly soft. What's the point of having a device with increased resolution when you're displaying essentially at the quality of the lower resolution?

Well, if that's the case with the 801 and 808, then no issues there.
    11-12-15 08:03 PM
    If BB came out with a BB10 Priv, I'd buy it, as long as it was under $200. I don't do contracts, and I pay for my phones unlocked.

The problem is, I have a fantastic Droid that is Quad Core and has a 5" screen and is basically amazing. I got it for $79 off contract. That's roughly $700 less than a Priv. As someone that is saving for retirement, I'll put that money into my 401k rather than blow it on technology that will be outdated in 2 years. Plus, I like having a regular Droid as my personal phone while my BB10 is my main business phone. Two lines and two phones just work for me. That's what BBerry is really competing against. The Droid market is saturated with low cost high performance hardware. HTC is on the verge of bankruptcy because their hardware is just not selling. I hope Berry can pull the rabbit out of the hat but it's going to be a long road.

I just got a Z30 for $200 on Amazon ulocked. That will have to do. No Priv for me.
    So what you're saying is, we can't count on you to be one of the 1 million who will buy a $700 USD PRIV and then spend another $50 for BB10?
    11-12-15 08:07 PM
    You can definitely pack more information into a higher resolution display, even without a screen size change. You can have a smaller font, which at the lower resolution, won't be readable, but will be at the higher resolution. If you just take existing icons/images and scale them up, they'll be slightly soft. What's the point of having a device with increased resolution when you're displaying essentially at the quality of the lower resolution?

Well, if that's the case with the 801 and 808, then no issues there.
    I am one that says that higher resolution screens on a 4-5 inch screen are bragging points and have nothing to do functionality. When you design for a smartphone, you have touch targets. And example of this is

https://developer.blackberry.com/des...h_targets.html

If you notice, they say 7.2mm. In usability testing, you want an area based on size not resolution. You can double the resolution, but you should keep the touch area the same otherwise you make it harder to use the phone by making the touch targets too small.
    11-12-15 08:15 PM
    I am one that says that higher resolution screens on a 4-5 inch screen are bragging points and have nothing to do functionality. When you design for a smartphone, you have touch targets. And example of this is

https://developer.blackberry.com/des...h_targets.html

If you notice, they say 7.2mm. In usability testing, you want an area based on size not resolution. You can double the resolution, but you should keep the touch area the same otherwise you make it harder to use the phone by making the touch targets too small.
    The touch target can stay the same size but it's a question of whether the touch target image is a fuzzy one or a sharp one. A sharper one requires a higher resolution image on a higher resolution device. If you left all the 1280 x 720 icons alone (no resize) and put them onto a 2560 x 1440 screen, you'd have quarter scale icons. If you scale them up, then they'll be slightly soft/fuzzy.

As for functionality, a higher resolution display will allow you to display a smaller font and still have it readable. You'll be able to display those 2k images without scaling, which softens the image. If you dabble in VR with something like Cardboard, the viewing lens won't show that your VR environment isn't made of giant pixels, as with the case of the Z30.
    11-12-15 09:20 PM
    We need CrackBerry to do a poll to see how many of us would really commit to buy a Priv with BB10 on it. Maybe get it special ordered for us.

I'll get the android Priv to check it out, I've used android but as most here I'm not a fan of their OS.

BUT a BB10 Priv, that's a phone I would hold on to.

Posted via CB10
    11-12-15 09:59 PM
    BlackBerry's entrance into the Android ecosystem short-term is about maintaining revenue to keep the hardware operations afloat. The fact the Priv is apparently selling so well regardless of actual numbers speaks volumes about the desire for BlackBerry's industrial designs, security, and to a lesser extent productivity software. It is touching a thorn in Android's side. The app ecosystem is merely a result of critical mass; had BlackBerry made their OS free with all of the additional incentives Google provides BlackBerry would likely be in a far better situation than they are, except BlackBerry doesn't have the soul-sucking, borderline corrupt business model generating revenue Google has. It goes against the very nature of their business.

Ironically Google and Apple NEED BlackBerry for their endeavors into the highly lucrative automotive sector, as their software (Apple and Google) needs Neutrino (QNX) to interface with the automotive hardware. CarPlay/iOS kernel and Android are not capable of real time processing needs of these types of applications (uses) due to their monolithic kernel design.

In the end most people will use whatever is put in front of their faces, most have no idea how things actually work which is why the masses look to each other for what others are using. This predictable trait in human behaviour is used EVERYWHERE.

John Chen obviously has to be very careful how he plays his cards. We might not see BB10 going forward as we recognize it now, but it's core certainly isn't going away anytime soon. The world needs BlackBerry. Google already is under scrutiny for antitrust much like Microsoft was years ago and for good reason. The OHA is nothing more than a front for Google's world domination ideal.

Posted via CB10
    undone likes this.
    11-12-15 10:02 PM
    And I want android for my Passport.

Posted via CB10
    11-12-15 10:08 PM
    I would buy a bb10 Priv in a nano second, I have decided to cancel my pre order for the android Priv, ill be upgrading my passport to the SE instead, and sit back and hope in the next few months a bb10 Priv comes out!!!
    I would too, but i wouldnt be able to do it in a nanosecond.
    11-13-15 01:27 AM
    This post is a let down. Get over it.

Posted with Priv
    Actually this is one of the more interesting posts I've read in awhile, i don't see it as negative, it's a debate with a community split down the middle! Good stuff, and I'm sure BlackBerry is reading this!

I don't see what blackberry can't keep both OS's, go heavy on the android, and minor on the bb10. At least this way they could keep everyone happy..

"I roll with 2 passports, 1 for travelling and 1 for communicating"
    3yE likes this.
    11-13-15 01:49 AM
    I have no idea what the differences are from the 801 to 808, but if there are new CPU features, those need to be added somehow, either at the compiler stage, API level or direct access. Users won't want to have an 808 but utilizing only 801 functions
    The 801 has a 32 bit CPU while the 808 has a 64 bit CPU (ARM Cortex-A57). I am willing to bet that BB10 is not even available as native 64 bit version. And of course you would have to re-compile any app in order to take advantage of AArch64 features.
    Upgrading OS, drivers and libraries to 64 bit is a big investment.
    11-13-15 04:22 AM
    The 801 has a 32 bit CPU while the 808 has a 64 bit CPU (ARM Cortex-A57). I am willing to bet that BB10 is not even available as native 64 bit version. And of course you would have to re-compile any app in order to take advantage of AArch64 features.
    Upgrading OS, drivers and libraries to 64 bit is a big investment.
    Ah this sounds like the big issue here, 64bit drivers I guess could be expensive and a costly jump in investment!

"I roll with 2 passports, 1 for travelling and 1 for communicating"
    11-13-15 04:49 AM
    Not everything Chen says is correct.
    For the purpose of signing cheques, everything he says is "correct" - even if we go down the line of everything he says is lies - what's the point? He the end result is the same, he doesn't want to spend money on BB10.
    11-13-15 06:11 AM
    No BlackBerry 10priv needs to happen. The BlackBerry operating system is good! What they need to do is use this added exposure to kind of try and increase the exposure and bridge the app gap. This device is nice but these hiccups so far are things I'm sure I wouldn't see with bb10

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    11-13-15 08:24 AM
    I want a Z30 that runs Android
    11-13-15 08:36 AM
    We need CrackBerry to do a poll to see how many of us would really commit to buy a Priv with BB10 on it. Maybe get it special ordered for us.

I'll get the android Priv to check it out, I've used android but as most here I'm not a fan of their OS.

BUT a BB10 Priv, that's a phone I would hold on to.

Posted via CB10
    I believe they did, or it could had been Android Central. Any who, the majority of the votes went to , "No, not interested".

Wait sorry, you said With BB10.

Okay, well still the majority said No.
    11-13-15 09:04 AM
    I believe they did, or it could had been Android Central. Any who, the majority of the votes went to , "No, not interested".

Wait sorry, you said With BB10.

Okay, well still the majority said No.
    They did a more accurate thing that a poll - it was called "trying to sell devices with BB10 on them" - it was better evidence than any poll, the result was a loss in the billions.
    Elephant_Canyon likes this.
    11-13-15 09:23 AM
208 ... 45678 ...