Just think about this scenario:
    People love their priv they have had their phone for a whole year, they see a new device by blackberry at their carrier store, they get excited buy it withouth asking questions, they bring it home just to find out it's not running android like their beloved priv, this person returns this device, looses interest in new blackberries again and we are back to square one (the average consumer will think all of the new blackberries will not support their beloved apps and as a result will not buy one again).

Doesn't seem like a good move to make another BB10 OS device unless is a new passport or classic, those 2 models average consumers won't buy no mather what, creating an all touch or priv-like phone will cause confusion.
    Or just sell it on ShopBB, and give it a different name......

11-11-15 01:17 PM
    Or just sell it on ShopBB, and give it a different name......

Fair enough, a bb shop exclusive sale would be a good solution to prevent the confusion.
    11-11-15 01:30 PM
    Just think about this scenario:
    People love their priv they have had their phone for a whole year, they see a new device by blackberry at their carrier store, they get excited buy it withouth asking questions, they bring it home just to find out it's not running android like their beloved priv, this person returns this device, looses interest in new blackberries again and we are back to square one (the average consumer will think all of the new blackberries will not support their beloved apps and as a result will not buy one again).

Doesn't seem like a good move to make another BB10 OS device unless is a new passport or classic, those 2 models average consumers won't buy no mather what, creating an all touch or priv-like phone will cause confusion.
    They would not call it the Priv, that would be stupid and confusing, it could be the same hardware but a different name ofcourse, and a shop BlackBerry exclusive could work, the passport silver edition is an example, so it is possible by all means

"I roll with 2 passports, 1 for travelling and 1 for communicating"
    11-11-15 01:55 PM
    Fair enough, a bb shop exclusive sale would be a good solution to prevent the confusion.
    Would probably be the only way, Carrier support would be limited for BB10 I suspect .... ~sigh~

11-11-15 02:12 PM
    Agree, I think the BB10 OS is more elegant and simple. Android is so cluttered
    11-11-15 02:13 PM
    Chen said himself in an interview that to make BB10 hardware drivers for new hardware is too costly based on how many BB10 devices he can expect to sell. I believe there is zero chance of seeing of a BB10 version of the current Priv. The only way I can see Chen releasing a BB10 version of the Priv is to stick the passport internals into the a priv shell, so that will eliminate the cost of driver development.

People need live in the reality of the present situation with blackberry and that BB10 is on the back burner.

Posted via CB10
    11-11-15 02:21 PM
    Chen said himself in an interview that to make BB10 hardware drivers for new hardware is too costly based on how many BB10 devices he can expect to sell. I believe there is zero chance of seeing of a BB10 version of the current Priv. The only way I can see Chen releasing a BB10 version of the Priv is to stick the passport internals into the a priv shell, so that will eliminate the cost of driver development.

People need live in the reality of the present situation with blackberry and that BB10 is on the back burner.

Posted via CB10
    I remember those discussions, but I think he was referring to a stand alone BB10 Device. If you parts bin the device as you indicate, the economy of scale changes.... Priv shell and chassis, Passport chip set and tweaked OS. I just think if the Priv sells decent, this can happen (at least I hope)

11-11-15 02:32 PM
    I remember those discussions, but I think he was referring to a stand alone BB10 Device. If you parts bin the device as you indicate, the economy of scale changes.... Priv shell and chassis, Passport chip set and tweaked OS. I just think if the Priv sells decent, this can happen (at least I hope)

No he was referring to drivers - it doesn't matter where you get the parts from - you still need the drivers - too much money.
    11-12-15 01:00 AM
    No he was referring to drivers - it doesn't matter where you get the parts from - you still need the drivers - too much money.
    Why can't they just use the drivers from the Passport?

11-12-15 05:30 AM
    Why can't they just use the drivers from the Passport?

I don't think people would be too happy about the 801 chipset in 2016. It would probably work fine (as it does on the Passport), but I could just imagine the outcry.

But you also need a keyboard driver, camera driver, display driver, etc too.

PassportSQW100-4/10.3.2.2789
    Last edited by conite; 11-12-15 at 05:44 AM.
    11-12-15 05:32 AM
    I don't think people would be too happy about the 801 chipset in 2016. It would probably work fine, but I could just imagine the outcry.

Does it even support the screen resolution?
    11-12-15 05:37 AM
    Most government agencies and corporate customers will be happy with the stable of Classics, Passports, and Leaps as they will keep costs down while still supplying the iron clad security BB is known for. Chen said there will be two more security and maintenance updates for BB10 but no new BB10 devices are planned, there is a better chance of BlackBerry releasing an Android powered Passport as there are videos and images floating around that shows this.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    No new BB10 devices are planned. Where is your source? Chen never said that...he said he market and business decisions will decide the future of BB10 devices.
    11-12-15 06:10 AM
    It wouldn't sell. Maybe a few hundred for people on CB, but no one would buy that thing if they put it in stores. Otherwise theyd just by the Passport or Classic. Like WEBOS, it was a great OS, but it didnt take off.
    Always remember no os is perfect and each individual os has a certain feature set that separates it from other os systems. So far only android has combined the specific BlackBerry apk's. It's about choice and not every os will be suitable for a particular individual.
    Yes it was a learning curve and now that my priv is set up to how I want it to be, it's now less intimidating. For me the app gap wasn't an issue either but I would get the error on occasion saying that Google play services be installed to access a clicked on feature so that was my only annoyance!

Calendar contacts tasks notes is handled via Google cloud via Gmail. Not everyone is gonna like this way of organizing info bbos10 using a BlackBerry I'd and login. I also never had an issue integrating my work Gmail calendar and contacts on my Passport. I'm a slider fanboy so that was mainly my reasoning for upgrading to the Priv.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    11-12-15 06:49 AM
    Drivers are written by a few developers. They don't cost much, just salary. BlackBerry already paid the license for the android drivers. The code is not that different. They are both unix-based Os-es.

Software is much cheaper than hardware. There are only 3-4 foundries left in the world that can make a 14nm finFET chip. There are millions of app shops...
    11-12-15 08:12 AM
    Drivers are written by a few developers. They don't cost much, just salary. BlackBerry already paid the license for the android drivers. The code is not that different. They are both unix-based Os-es.

Software is much cheaper than hardware. There are only 3-4 foundries left in the world that can make a 14nm finFET chip. There are millions of app shops...
    You should wrote to John Chen because this is direct from him.
    11-12-15 08:14 AM
    Don't we all!

Posted via the CrackBerry App on my Blackberry Priv
    11-12-15 08:17 AM
    It'd be nice to see an accelerated hardware timeline but it do understand lots of time is required when releasing any new products to market.

Posted via CB10
    11-12-15 08:18 AM
    No new BB10 devices are planned. Where is your source? Chen never said that...he said he market and business decisions will decide the future of BB10 devices.
    You just have to read between the lines of what Chen has been saying, only two more service updates for BB10, the cost to write and maintain two different firmware device drivers would be too much to handle for BB. And in another interview he mentioned the Priv was not the only Android device in development for Blackberry and now we have the new leaked images for the Vienna. People have to realize Android is the focus for Blackberry now.

BB10 for all intents and purposes is dead for the general consumer market, and we will never see a BB10 Priv or high end all touch device running BB10.
    11-12-15 08:40 AM
    BlackBerry has already answered. They have committed to only one or two more security/maintenance patches without any further development of the Android Runtime.

It would cost many millions of dollars to obtain the drivers for the new Priv hardware, and millions more dollars to adapt BB10 using developers that BlackBerry no longer has.

You know. I have always thought that statement is pure BS. If it cost millions of dollars to get drivers, they are getting gouged. I have seen open source graphics drivers for multiple devices and OS's. This is just a lie from Chen. It is now public knowledge that he planned the migration to Android as soon as he took over. This is just another statement in the line of "BB10 is coming to Playbook" and "We support BB10 developers". More lies.
    Superdupont 2_0 likes this.
    11-12-15 08:51 AM
    You don't stop work on the OS, it's platform and supporting software which they did over a year ago and release new hardware. Plain and simple. The released what they had in the hardware pipeline, laid off all the BB10 developers, and now announced that the don't have plans to update anything to do with software. They also don't have anyone who can start up development of the OS so they have no plans to make BB10 devices anymore.
    1Criz likes this.
    11-12-15 08:54 AM
    Or just allow loading BB10 to existing Android Priv via BlackBerry Link. Thus only people knowing what they are doing get BlackBerry OS.
    Still, highly unlikely :-(

Posted via CB10
    11-12-15 09:06 AM
    You know. I have always thought that statement is pure BS. If it cost millions of dollars to get drivers, they are getting gouged. I have seen open source graphics drivers for multiple devices and OS's. This is just a lie from Chen. It is now public knowledge that he planned the migration to Android as soon as he took over. This is just another statement in the line of "BB10 is coming to Playbook" and "We support BB10 developers". More lies.
    I'm not saying it would cost millions to develop, only that it would cost millions to acquire them. Qualcomm makes big bucks out of their drivers. It's part of the package.

11-12-15 09:49 AM
    Any PRIV that has BB10 would probably not have run time. Would you still want it?

Posted via CB10
    Sure. No problem.
    huwit likes this.
    11-12-15 09:59 AM
    Much as I would like another BB10 device, you have a better chance of BlackBerry dropping hardware (which I believe is the end goal) then another BB10 device.
    11-12-15 10:30 AM
    CHEN had to do something Different to save the company. A LOT of reviewers LOVE the Priv. They don't like BlackBerry 10.
    11-12-15 10:30 AM
208 12345 ...