I've been a BB loyalist for quite some time and I've stuck with the brand through all of these missteps they've made. This 699 price is another foolish move if you ask me. Sometimes I actually wonder if someone is trying to sabotage the company. Dumb move after Dumb move leads me to think that way.

Now I have to make the TUFF decision of whether to spend 700 bucks to remain with this company. One would think they wouldn't put people through such a decision.
    They built a unique and impressively specced phone. I don't get why people think 700 is out of line compared to other top-end phones. It's one of the most exciting phones of the year, if not the very most.

Posted via CB10
    10-27-15 08:08 AM
    They built a unique and impressively specced phone. I don't get why people think 700 is out of line compared to other top-end phones. It's one of the most exciting phones of the year, if not the very most.
    Yes, the phone is designed and specked very well. However, ONLY reason I think its out of line compared to other phones out there is the viability of its life for $700. The ability to keep the phone updated by BB is completely in thin air right now. At least I know if I shell out $700+ for any other phone out there(iPhone/Nexus) Im guaranteed to have all the updates for at least 2 years. I dont want to buy a very expensive dinosaur.
    10-27-15 08:17 AM
    I love BlackBerry, but currently use a Note 4 as it better suits my consumer oriented needs. While I like the Priv, and it certainly has some cool, exclusive only to it Android features, I couldn't bring myself to spend $200 more on this than the Nexus 6P. It's just not worth it, and I know Google will continue to support their device for years to come.

Other than BlackBerry loyalists, I think the Priv will bomb in the marketplace and BlackBerry will be software only in a year's time. I'd gladly buy the BlackBerry suite of apps from Google Play, so there's money to be made out there, but it won't be in hardware for them.

Posted via CB10
    10-27-15 08:25 AM
    Because you don't sell a Porsche at the price of a Chevy.

Priv hardware specs are up there with Sony Z5 Premium, Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge plus, and kill iPhone 6S Plus. Those phone are more expensive. That makes Priv a bargain. Priv has expensive parts and they all add up.

Why does everyone want a high end BlackBerry and expect it to be Q5 priced? I don't get it.

Posted via CB10
    Because some people are ignorant, first the prices on Shop BlackBerry are unlocked and are priced higher second carrier devices are lower as evidenced by Rogers whose price is $100 less than that of Shop BlackBerry, third get the device on a two year contract and upfront out pocket is half the price or less.

Posted via CB10
    10-27-15 08:26 AM
    Cause it's easier to lower the price if it's too high as opposed to increase the price if it's too low.

Posted via CB10
    10-27-15 08:29 AM

Posted via CB10
    Then you need to go out into the "real world" and look at the current flagship phones and compare prices....

As for most exciting phones of the year.... some sites last year said that about the Passport, that and two dollars will buy a bag of chips.

Many here have said they don't want a keyboard... they just want an All Touch High End Phone, to which others have said that the PRIV is the best of both worlds. Unfortunately BlackBerry is charging a LOT for the privilege to have that keyboard. So for those here that just wanted a standard slab phone, there are other options out there....

Many of us just think that a normal consumer in the store looking at a few devices sitting side-by-side with their prices showing... the PRIV won't get a 2nd look with $100 - $200 higher price.
    10-27-15 08:33 AM
    Did everyone forget the Z10 was $699 at launch too? At least in canada...

Posted via BlackBerry Passport
    I don't believe we're going to see warehouses full of Privs as with the Z10.
    10-27-15 08:38 AM
    Did everyone forget the Z10 was $699 at launch too? At least in canada...

Posted via BlackBerry Passport
    And what a runaway success it was!

I've had about 3 Z10's, what a pity they entered the market with such an undeveloped and poorly supported ecosystem. If it weren't for the Z10's battery life I'd trade my Z30 in on one in a heartbeat.

I hope that Blackberry's Android OS is full fat and not half baked. There's a chance I might cave in and get a Priv but that's a long shot, my gut tells me that I should look at BlackBerry again in 3 years, if my next device hasn't cured my desire for the next BlackBerry.

Price isn't everything, to me it's what you get for the price that matters, I don't want to pay a premium for yet another compromise.
    10-27-15 08:46 AM
    Posted via CB10
    It is out of line because the price is in fact 800 euro (for me in Europe it's irrelevant that in usa the price is 'only' 699$ ),
    a price that feels like robbery, even if the product is interesting ...

In normal conditions it would be ok to launch an expensive product that would be purchased by a limited number of people. And then wait for better prices from mobile carriers, or wait for natural price decrease after 6-10 months. But the big question is : will Blackberry still be around in phones business in June next year?

In my case: i find that the price is bad choice because I fear that Blackberry is doing a wrong move if this is their last and only hope for staying in phones business.
    I would be more relaxed when I see at least 1 additional BLandroid phone that would be touchscreen-only and cheaper than Priv. Maybe 400-450euro would be reasonable for the alternate model , so that Priv's 800euro would no longer be a critical problem that scares some of the possible buyers .
    10-27-15 09:49 AM

Posted via CB10
    Here's the issue - Blackberry's average sales price was $240 in Q1 2016 (which was up from $182 because they are selling far fewer phones and thus proportionally more newer ones). They are now moving into the $700 range which is occupied SOLELY by Apple with an average selling price of $649 (while Samsung has some flagship phones at that pricing, their average is below $300). It takes a lot of confidence by consumers to spend $699 on a phone - confidence it's a good value (which the Priv is not), confidence the manufacturer will support the phone with updates (which Blackberry has a horrendous reputation with historically), and confidence the manufacturer is in it for the long haul (which is pretty clear Blackberry is not and why Microsoft phone sales have plummeted too).

The Priv is an ill-timed, much too expensive phone for a seller with the poor reputation of Blackberry to introduce. They would have fared much better with a partnership phone with Samsung or Huawei in my view.
    10-27-15 10:14 AM
    It's so easy to be a back-seat ceo... you know only a small percentage of the factors on doing a product launch... and you don't have millions or your reputation on the line... so easy to spout off "they should have done..."
    10-27-15 10:41 AM
    Then you need to go out into the "real world" and look at the current flagship phones and compare prices....

As for most exciting phones of the year.... some sites last year said that about the Passport, that and two dollars will buy a bag of chips.

Many here have said they don't want a keyboard... they just want an All Touch High End Phone, to which others have said that the PRIV is the best of both worlds. Unfortunately BlackBerry is charging a LOT for the privilege to have that keyboard. So for those here that just wanted a standard slab phone, there are other options out there....

Many of us just think that a normal consumer in the store looking at a few devices sitting side-by-side with their prices showing... the PRIV won't get a 2nd look with $100 - $200 higher price.
    IPhone 6S, Galaxy S6. The Priv is a luxury flagship in that same vein, and the BlackBerry name will carry more weight than HTC or Motorola. If the Priv had Samsung's name at the top, people would be clamoring to get their hands on it for 700usd. It has an original design at least, which can't be said for most phones on the market. It occupies a space separate from high-specced budget phones. I mean, the Z5 Compact is 550usd, which isn't cheap either, but I think the Priv makes up that 150usd and then some.

Posted via CB10
    10-27-15 12:25 PM
    When I pick up my priv next Friday and pound out my first 200 word email while my cohorts are still correcting the first two lines on isheep and Sammys the first thought in my head will be happy with every penny spent of $799.

I have owned all BlackBerry up to PP SE.

I use 6 android apps and tired of "stopped working"

Not Afraid of the future if it keeps me productive.

Posted via CB10
    10-27-15 12:41 PM
    Priv in Canada

899$ CAD
    X 1.13 for sales tax in ontario
    --------
    + 35$ approx for shipping

=1050$

This is by FAR the most expensive blackberry to date

I bought my Passport on launch day from telus and it was approx 800$

From the leaked info so far, this looks like one powerhouse of a device

Posted via CB10
    CAD is down 20% vs USD since the passport was released.
    10-27-15 02:48 PM
    Be happy, don't worry

Posted via CB10
    10-27-15 02:50 PM
    Could be worse. You could be paying with Canadian dollars. I think 699 is completely reasonable. 900 is tough. It's not like we Canadians actually make more money.

Posted via CB10
    bobshine likes this.
    10-27-15 03:35 PM
    Could be worse. You could be paying with Canadian dollars. I think 699 is completely reasonable. 900 is tough. It's not like we Canadians actually make more money.

Posted via CB10
    you do: 49K cd vs 27k us (ave income)
    10-27-15 03:42 PM

Posted via CB10
    Yeah being Canadian myself, electronics were so much more affordable when the exchange rate was near parity

Posted via CB10
    10-27-15 04:53 PM
    you do: 49K cd vs 27k us (ave income)
    Ummm...not to start a war over this, but you're way off. I LOVE Canada, but "In terms of purchasing power parity, the most recent statistics from the IMF has Canada (US $35,494) lower than that in the United States (US $43,444)." And, then add nearly 50% more taxes on Canadians and it's not even close. ("In Canada total tax and non-tax revenue for every level of government equals about 38.4% of GDP, compared to the U.S. rate of 28.2%")

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compar...ican_economies
    10-27-15 05:45 PM
    The Canadian dollar was at almost par to USD back then. If you compared the REAL price and not the nominal I'd bet the passport was more expensive.
    All numbers quoted are in CAD, the USD to CAD difference should not be a factor?

The price for the Passport at the time in USD was 599$, they inflated the price in Canada to I believe somewhere around 749$ if im not mistaken? And that was with CAD=USD

Now the Priv is listed at 699$ USD, and its marked up to 899$ in CAD with CAD vs USD @ 1.3=1

599*1.3=778$
    699*1.3=908$

Nope, Priv is still WAY more expensive than the Passport was even using the inflated rate for the Passport pricing, REAL instead of Nominal as you suggested

Please correct me if I am messing up these numbers, im not in school to become an economist and id like to learn not get heckled smarty pants

Edit!!!

I did some more reading.. I did the math the wrong way! Oops!

Should be:
    749$ Passport CAD a year ago with dollar at par
    Than 899/ 1.3 = 691 CAD

So yes, you're completely right, if I was to buy the Priv last year it would be cheaper than the passport

But today, its 1050$ with tax so dam...

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by jasonvan9; 10-27-15 at 08:34 PM.
    10-27-15 08:24 PM
    CAD is down 20% vs USD since the passport was released.
    700 x 1.20=840 and not 899
    10-28-15 06:44 AM
    Ummm...not to start a war over this, but you're way off. I LOVE Canada, but "In terms of purchasing power parity, the most recent statistics from the IMF has Canada (US $35,494) lower than that in the United States (US $43,444)." And, then add nearly 50% more taxes on Canadians and it's not even close. ("In Canada total tax and non-tax revenue for every level of government equals about 38.4% of GDP, compared to the U.S. rate of 28.2%")

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compar...ican_economies
    You are right, its not simply $ per week in the pay packet: Canada ? Income per capita (GDP per capita) country ranking
    10-28-15 11:44 AM
    I think it's a fair price. If you can't afford it its your fault for being so damn cheap or poor. Whichever

Posted via CB10
    anon4226395 likes this.
    10-28-15 12:11 PM
    I think it's a fair price. If you can't afford it its your fault for being so damn cheap or poor. Whichever

Posted via CB10
    I'm sorry, but these cell phones are expensive luxury items and are in no way necessary. There are 100-200usd smartphones that will do fine. There are free feature phones that will do fine too.

I think there is a third descriptor: smart. If you think you need a $1000 smartphone every year, then you're nuts. You're smart if you don't view the temporary pleasure as a matter of necessity. Invest the cash instead. Put it in your retirement fund. Who cares. But don't be rude about it to those who can't or won't buy the Priv at 700usd.

That said, I'm not smart. I just pre-ordered one.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960, anon4226395 and Livermore like this.
    10-28-15 03:55 PM

Posted via CB10
    Hmmm, so my opinion that the Priv is currently priced too high means I'm cheap and/or poor, even when I buy a more expensive device as an alternative?

Too expensive for ones pocket vs too expensive for what it is. The latter is obviously a subjective opinion but I favour my subjectivity over others

The market will have the final say on whose opinion is more correct soon enough.
    10-28-15 03:59 PM
86 1234