No this is not a post from 2015 lol.

So my priv came in the mail today. I won it off ebay getting it for 70 dollars canadian which i was very happy about!

WOW did I miss this device. I remember buying this is 2015 and in my opinion its still the best blackberry ever made. Yes I am aware of all the overheating problems etc, I know its out of date and gets no security patches but this is going to be my daily driver. First of all, I forgot how AMAZING the screen is on this device. It absolutely destroys any of the screens in the keyone series of phones. It's just a beyond gorgeous device. The sliding PKB has and will always be my favorite.

I was also able to apply all the fixes to help the battery life so I am having no issues with the device heating up etc. It's also perfect for me because I am trying to limit my time on my cell phone so by default I know if I am logging tons of screen time the device will drain so it keeps me honest and ensures I am not spending too much time on the device.
    I really hope onward makes a priv 2. I actually think its the only way they could sell this idea to governments because if you make a premium device with a slide out PKB people that want to use the PKB can and those that don't can use the virtual keyboard.

I loved blackberry keyone specifically the black edition and was never a fan of the key 2 but this device hands down blows them both out of the water. I am proud to have the last true blackberry made by Research in Motion and I plan on using this till it dies lol.
    the_boon and Rico4you like this.
    11-25-20 08:17 AM
    Congrats on choosing to daily drive a 5 year old Android device!

I gave up on the Priv about two years ago, despite all the optimization tricks, the performance couldn't keep up with my usage.
    11-25-20 08:31 AM
    Yup will definitely depend on your usage. If you are a heavy user this just isn't feasible. Thankfully I am not because honestly I love using this device. The trackpad on pkb is better than any of the keyone phones. Also even though there is not a convenience key the swipe gestures up, left, or right to get to apps is just amazing. From any app if I want to make a call I can swipe up..check email swipe right...

Honestly its fast as well. It does not seem likes its 5 years old speed wise and it certainly does not look like its a old phone. Its such a gorgeous device.
    11-25-20 09:10 AM
    No this is not a post from 2015 lol.

So my priv came in the mail today. I won it off ebay getting it for 70 dollars canadian which i was very happy about!

WOW did I miss this device. I remember buying this is 2015 and in my opinion its still the best blackberry ever made. Yes I am aware of all the overheating problems etc, I know its out of date and gets no security patches but this is going to be my daily driver. First of all, I forgot how AMAZING the screen is on this device. It absolutely destroys any of the screens in the keyone series of phones. It's just a beyond gorgeous device. The sliding PKB has and will always be my favorite.

I was also able to apply all the fixes to help the battery life so I am having no issues with the device heating up etc. It's also perfect for me because I am trying to limit my time on my cell phone so by default I know if I am logging tons of screen time the device will drain so it keeps me honest and ensures I am not spending too much time on the device.
    I really hope onward makes a priv 2. I actually think its the only way they could sell this idea to governments because if you make a premium device with a slide out PKB people that want to use the PKB can and those that don't can use the virtual keyboard.

I loved blackberry keyone specifically the black edition and was never a fan of the key 2 but this device hands down blows them both out of the water. I am proud to have the last true blackberry made by Research in Motion and I plan on using this till it dies lol.
    I rock my PRIV daily ( got it Jun 2016 ) and just like you love it.
    Yes the screen is amazing and the keyboard works perfectly, no issues with spacebar,etc...it's great.

I clear regularly cache ( so easy to do with Android 6) use a task manager app close background process, and have location off ( only ON if really needed)

But cell signal way better than my KEY2, also hands free quality way better, screen is just amazing and to date has one of the highest PPI rating compared to 2020 Other devices.

By the way all my apps updated to latest via Play Store and don't load anything odd and use SurfShark VPN.

Yes OM bring on the PRIV2!
    saint300 likes this.
    11-25-20 12:56 PM
    I rock my PRIV daily ( got it Jun 2016 ) and just like you love it.
    Yes the screen is amazing and the keyboard works perfectly, no issues with spacebar,etc...it's great.

I clear regularly cache ( so easy to do with Android 6) use a task manager app close background process, and have location off ( only ON if really needed)

But cell signal way better than my KEY2, also hands free quality way better, screen is just amazing and to date has one of the highest PPI rating compared to 2020 Other devices.

By the way all my apps updated to latest via Play Store and don't load anything odd and use SurfShark VPN.

Yes OM bring on the PRIV2!
    How do you clear cache? Also how do you stop apps running in the background?

thanks
    11-25-20 01:12 PM
    How do you clear cache? Also how do you stop apps running in the background?

thanks
    For Cache clearing:

Settings, Storage& USB, Internal Storage , Cached Data: Select and OK

For Killing Background apps:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...hp.taskmanager

Once installed app:

Select Top right 3 dots
    Select Create "kill all" icon

You will have an ICON that when you select kills background process and shows how RAM cleared

Taskmanger app works great on PRIV
    11-25-20 05:07 PM
    For Cache clearing:

Settings, Storage& USB, Internal Storage , Cached Data: Select and OK

For Killing Background apps:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...hp.taskmanager

Once installed app:

Select Top right 3 dots
    Select Create "kill all" icon

You will have an ICON that when you select kills background process and shows how RAM cleared

Taskmanger app works great on PRIV
    Awesome thanks! For the kill app do I have to hit this every time I boot up the phone?
    11-25-20 05:20 PM
    Awesome thanks! For the kill app do I have to hit this every time I boot up the phone?
    Welcome.

No need every you boot phone. I just while using and have left some apps running, etc....boom I hit kill switch and Frees up RAM.

For cache I usually clear once a day.

Enjoy that PRIV!
    11-25-20 05:27 PM
    Welcome.

No need every you boot phone. I just while using and have left some apps running, etc....boom I hit kill switch and Frees up RAM.

For cache I usually clear once a day.

Enjoy that PRIV!
    I am absolutely LOVING it. So you can easily get through an entire day with your Priv without the battery dying and no battery heating issues?
    11-25-20 05:30 PM
    I am absolutely LOVING it. So you can easily get through an entire day with your Priv without the battery dying and no battery heating issues?
    If not using location, and turning wifi off and or Bluetooth when not needed...yes no heating up issues.

Also for Google I installed Google GO which uses way less resources and runs great, also use Facebook lite. In my case I use Whatsapp and also clear there videos and media when not needed to keep or move to SD card.
    11-25-20 05:34 PM
    I have done everything mentioned and I charged my phone to 100 percent and literally within 5 mins its at 93 percent..I think I may have too many apps..i have a weather app...waze a gps app...crackberry....not sure what the issue still is...not a big deal because like I said I am not a heavy user
    11-25-20 07:19 PM
    If not using location, and turning wifi off and or Bluetooth when not needed...yes no heating up issues.

Also for Google I installed Google GO which uses way less resources and runs great, also use Facebook lite. In my case I use Whatsapp and also clear there videos and media when not needed to keep or move to SD card.
    I also have something called the freedom app that locks me out of my phone to avoid distractions. My guess is this might be the culprit since it runs in the background
    11-25-20 07:22 PM
    I also have something called the freedom app that locks me out of my phone to avoid distractions. My guess is this might be the culprit since it runs in the background
    Go into the battery settings and see what app is in using most battery life.

On my PRIV do not run apps like that Freedom you mention. Also have location turned off. When is I need weather I just search on Google GO.
    Changing the main regular Google app to Google GO also big difference on battery life / memory usage.
    11-26-20 01:58 AM
    Go into the battery settings and see what app is in using most battery life.

On my PRIV do not run apps like that Freedom you mention. Also have location turned off. When is I need weather I just search on Google GO.
    Changing the main regular Google app to Google GO also big difference on battery life / memory usage.
    What if i disabled gmail as well and only checked email using google GO ...would that help?

I absolutely enjoying my experience with this phone..for 70 bux it cannot be beat. I am selling my blackberry keyone black edition today ..thats how much I won't miss that phone because I love this priv so much
    11-26-20 09:14 AM
    What if i disabled gmail as well and only checked email using google GO ...would that help?

I absolutely enjoying my experience with this phone..for 70 bux it cannot be beat. I am selling my blackberry keyone black edition today ..thats how much I won't miss that phone because I love this priv so much
    You likely have a 5 year old battery in the phone. It's probably running at 50% capacity.

Disable Gmail, yes. And just use the HUB. And, for sure, get rid of that Freedom app.
    11-26-20 09:18 AM
    Isn't the hub a battery drainer as well?
    11-26-20 09:46 AM
    Isn't the hub a battery drainer as well?
    You could certainly go the route of disabling all of the BlackBerry apps - HUB+ Services, Inbox, Contacts, Calendar, Keyboard, etc, and go with stock Google apps instead. You would be better off from a battery point of view. It's an all or nothing thing.
    11-26-20 09:55 AM
    You likely have a 5 year old battery in the phone. It's probably running at 50% capacity.

Disable Gmail, yes. And just use the HUB. And, for sure, get rid of that Freedom app.
    If it's a new or new-ish Priv that hasn't really been used, and the battery was stored for all those years in a cool temperature place at 30% - 80% charge level, I think it's feasible to have about 80% - 85% of its original capacity.

50% of original capacity is a bit extreme, the phone wouldn't even get 2 hours SOT with that.
    11-26-20 10:48 AM
    If it's a new or new-ish Priv that hasn't really been used, and the battery was stored for all those years in a cool temperature place at 30% - 80% charge level, I think it's feasible to have about 80% - 85% of its original capacity.

50% of original capacity is a bit extreme, the phone wouldn't even get 2 hours SOT with that.
    It all depends how it was stored. Presumably it was also used during some or most of that time, since it was purchased used.
    11-26-20 11:11 AM
    It all depends how it was stored. Presumably it was also used during some or most of that time, since it was purchased used.
    Maybe the worst would be a brand new one that has sat on empty for 4+ years.
    11-26-20 11:13 AM
    A couple of months ago I bought a NOS Priv from Canada. Never used before. I have installed the AccuBattery app and it shows battery health at 114%! For the Keyone Black Edition I bought later, lightly used, it shows 100%.

I can't know how accurate these are, but in real life I know that the Priv will get me through the day, but not every day, while the Keyone is on another league!

Things I have seen so far.

The Priv does get warm often, but not terribly hot, or even hot. I have followed all advice here, so I don't really have this dreaded issue, but it does get warm often. The screen is just awesome!! PKB is surprisingly good. Updating apps from the Play Store is really slow. In the end, the Priv is a most elegant phone indeed! It's also the last real BB device. It's a pity they used that particular cpu, but that's life.

On the other hand, the Keyone runs a more recent Android version (although personally I'm ok with Priv's too), is much more powerful and its battery is on another level really. Now, regarding the battery I did notice that when at home I turned off my wifi connection, that was when battery started to last a lot longer....haven't checked with the Priv, since I don't have my SIM card in it and therefore I rely on wifi for this phone, but I wonder why is that happening? I mean, it's not like the phone tries to find a network all the time, it connects to my own wifi.

Anyway, the screen is ok, but nothing to write home about, and the keyboard has this strange issue, reported here on other threads, the one where it deletes words or complete text on its own! It doesn't do it every time, but it does happen and it is annoying.

I like the Priv more, but it seems to me that as a daily driver, the Keyone is the more capable phone.
    11-26-20 11:33 AM
    You could certainly go the route of disabling all of the BlackBerry apps - HUB+ Services, Inbox, Contacts, Calendar, Keyboard, etc, and go with stock Google apps instead. You would be better off from a battery point of view. It's an all or nothing thing.
    Then again, if you disable all BB related apps, why get a BB device? Just for better battery performace? It doesn't really make sense.
    11-26-20 11:45 AM
    Then again, if you disable all BB related apps, why get a BB device? Just for better battery performace? It doesn't really make sense.
    Depends on need for the PRIV to last certain amount of time between abilities to charge. When I used my AT&T PRIV as primary hardware four years ago, I’d have to keep an old device handy in case I forgot to charge throughout day.

I agree with you but my solution was an extra phone and that wasn’t others preferred solution.
    11-26-20 12:00 PM
    A couple of months ago I bought a NOS Priv from Canada. Never used before. I have installed the AccuBattery app and it shows battery health at 114%! For the Keyone Black Edition I bought later, lightly used, it shows 100%.

I can't know how accurate these are, but in real life I know that the Priv will get me through the day, but not every day, while the Keyone is on another league!

Things I have seen so far.

The Priv does get warm often, but not terribly hot, or even hot. I have followed all advice here, so I don't really have this dreaded issue, but it does get warm often. The screen is just awesome!! PKB is surprisingly good. Updating apps from the Play Store is really slow. In the end, the Priv is a most elegant phone indeed! It's also the last real BB device. It's a pity they used that particular cpu, but that's life.

On the other hand, the Keyone runs a more recent Android version (although personally I'm ok with Priv's too), is much more powerful and its battery is on another level really. Now, regarding the battery I did notice that when at home I turned off my wifi connection, that was when battery started to last a lot longer....haven't checked with the Priv, since I don't have my SIM card in it and therefore I rely on wifi for this phone, but I wonder why is that happening? I mean, it's not like the phone tries to find a network all the time, it connects to my own wifi.

Anyway, the screen is ok, but nothing to write home about, and the keyboard has this strange issue, reported here on other threads, the one where it deletes words or complete text on its own! It doesn't do it every time, but it does happen and it is annoying.

I like the Priv more, but it seems to me that as a daily driver, the Keyone is the more capable phone.
    Oh easily don't get me wrong. The blackberry keyone black edition hands down destorys the priv. I just sold my black edition 20 mins ago for 350 dollars. Was a no brainer for me I love the Priv. But I am a unique user as I am not glued to my phone all day so for me Priv is perfect. To be honest I just wanted cheap device to hold me over till the 5g blackberry is released. But if for any reason I don't like it I am fine with the Priv. I just love this phone, like I said before the design of this phone is so unique. If this phone just had the keyones battery life that would be AMAZING
    11-26-20 12:01 PM
    Oh easily don't get me wrong. The blackberry keyone black edition hands down destorys the priv. I just sold my black edition 20 mins ago for 350 dollars. Was a no brainer for me I love the Priv. But I am a unique user as I am not glued to my phone all day so for me Priv is perfect. To be honest I just wanted cheap device to hold me over till the 5g blackberry is released. But if for any reason I don't like it I am fine with the Priv. I just love this phone, like I said before the design of this phone is so unique. If this phone just had the keyones battery life that would be AMAZING
    The prices being asked for this phone still is quite ridiculous. I am happy i got my priv for 70 bux..steal of a deal for this phone
    11-26-20 12:02 PM
30 12