Wow. The hub sounds pathetic. I think that's where the media will go in on blackberry and give it poor reviews on that aspect.

Posted via CB10
    rai187 likes this.
    10-31-15 03:00 PM
    Can you identify other areas of the phone reviewers may pick on BlackBerry about? Not wanting to be negative, just an honest opinion of where BlackBerry needs to work on. I just want the best for them overall.

Posted via CB10
    H3000 likes this.
    10-31-15 03:01 PM
    Sad about the hub... & blend
    Sad no pinch/zoom on capacitive KB...
    Since my Passport has all that, I will surely not purchase Priv now...
    Thanks for the insights...

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by patapoof; 10-31-15 at 04:40 PM.
    ssbtech likes this.
    10-31-15 03:09 PM
    I'm happy to answer some questions this morning.
    is the keyboard stiffer, softer or the same as the passport?
    10-31-15 03:10 PM
    Can you confirm that it is running Lollipop 5.1.1? And if so, did BlackBerry implement granular permissions on apps? Kinda possible with customized ROMs like Cyanogenmod.
    10-31-15 03:11 PM
    To be more specific, is it hard like the original Passport or softer like that SE is?
    10-31-15 03:11 PM
    Sad about the hub...
    Will not purchase now...

Posted via CB10
    But you have been so positive up to now

Posted via CB10
    10-31-15 03:13 PM
    I'm assuming you ain't in this type ot thing or I know you didn't but did you at least try or were tempted to try to root Priv? Is it possible to do or better yet can a normal user do it like other Androids or do you have to dig in to figure out how to do it?

How are BBM related files are stored? Is there a special folder just for BBM and can you see thumbnails? Also, when sending photos or videos using BBM, can you see thumbnails and if so which folder shows up first and can you change the folders with ease or do you have to get out and go to the specific folder either via another app like photos or a file manager and then share that file and select BBM and then contact or group to share it with?

Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    10-31-15 03:13 PM
    I was hoping to find out how quick is camera from taking shot to preview of such shot
    10-31-15 03:16 PM
    Is the camera same as the quality of Samsung galaxy s6?

Posted via CB10
    10-31-15 03:16 PM
    privberry, since you are a BB10 and passport user. there has been a lot of faffing about a 'secure' android. Apart from boot time security measures I don't see much of secure features other than DTEK tell us what certain apps are doing. what is your take on 'security' features on priv since marshmallow is still in future and we do not know yet what exactly it will bring by way of user's ability to control app data mining and/or permissions.
    Dtek is a great visible security feature. It lets you block an app from accessing things like camera and it alerts you if it tries again. The main worry with Android is that there could a be a security hole we do not know about that will get exposed. Only needs one of those to dent the Blackberry name but hopefully they will patch anything quickly. I do not notice any different experience to the Q10 or Passport when it comes to security. You hope most of the serious work goes on behind the scenes. The good thing about BB10 is that Blackberry could control the whole experience from end to end. But I trust that they know what they are doing.

On Passport, flicking words work like charm and words can be flicked with ease but priv has a lip just above physical keys when using physical keys. were you able to predictive words without hitting the lip/collar of the screen edge?
    Absolutely no issue.

on a Gmail account with the Hub, (not familiar with the hub), can you archive a message with a gesture rather than delete it?
    Your options for gesture are delete, snooze, flag, file (it then asks which folder), mute, and mark read/unread.

Can you identify other areas of the phone reviewers may pick on BlackBerry about? Not wanting to be negative, just an honest opinion of where BlackBerry needs to work on. I just want the best for them overall.
    The hardware is attractive, robust and iconic. The software is, from what I can tell, stock Android with some great added Blackberry apps. A reviewer already familiar with Android should go "this is a great Android device".

If the reviewer knows BB10 they will be asking "what went wrong with Hub?". The front facing camera may come in for a kicking too.

My main frustrations with it are things Android users are probably used to. There is no vanilla music app just Google Play Music for playing your MP3s and it keeps encouraging me to sign up. Vanilla music apps are in the app store though.
    10-31-15 03:17 PM
    Does it have Bluetooth tethering?

Posted via CB10
    10-31-15 03:18 PM
    "Unfortunately your device doesn't support manual settings at all."
    No manual camera settings... this is a bummer.

I'm still prob 'in', but like everyone I am hoping it will tick my personal set of 'boxes'.
    10-31-15 03:20 PM
    I hate using cases on my phones. Does it feel solid like a blackberry? Can take a drop? The curved screen makes me think it could be prone to cracking when dropped.

Posted via CB10
    The Bell Store has a dummy unit for display. It felt solid and the screen curve was not that noticeable. This phone is large even with the slider closed. The Rep at the store opened the box so I could see how the phone was in the hand.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    10-31-15 03:20 PM
    A big thanks to this and all of the other users that would take time to answer technical questions for the rest of us.

THANKS!!
    privberry likes this.
    10-31-15 03:21 PM
    "Unfortunately your device doesn't support manual settings at all."
    Oh man, what a huge disappointment.
    Blackberry has not used the Camera2-API at all then... So no manual ISO, Shutterspeed, fixed manual focus or RAW then.

I really have to reconsider buying the Priv now.

Thanks for checking it out.
    10-31-15 03:21 PM
    NP... glad to cheer you up...

But you have been so positive up to now

Posted via CB10
    10-31-15 03:22 PM
    Blackberry has not used the Camera2-API at all then... So no manual ISO, Shutterspeed, fixed manual focus or RAW then.

I'm sure this is not a big deal to most people, but a strange choice by BB to not include this capability. It seems like a pretty simple thing to support with the generation of android. Technically, they should be able to update the software to add this capability later, but I won't hold my breath.
    Brandon Tobias and jgcotton like this.
    10-31-15 03:25 PM
    Sad about the hub...
    Will not purchase now...

Posted via CB10
    you have been bashing the Priv since the start stating how much better the competitors were, so you didn't made your mind now and you're doing a terrific effort in trying to get nobody to buy it... lol
    MO3iusONE, sidhuk, tmf06 and 6 others like this.
    10-31-15 03:26 PM
    My Passport is buttery smooth now but I have had it a long time. The keys are firm. They feel good.

Can you confirm that it is running Lollipop 5.1.1? And if so, did BlackBerry implement granular permissions on apps? Kinda possible with customized ROMs like Cyanogenmod.
    5.1.1 and although apps ask for all permissions they want when you install and you cannot stop them, Dtek lets you set notifications for example "tell me if Skype tries to access my photos" and you can block the entire app in Dtek.

I'm assuming you ain't in this type thing or I know you didn't but did you at least try or were tempted to try to root Priv? How are BBM related files are stored?
    I will not be trying to root the device I am afraid. Dtek verifies if the OS has been modified. However I do not know if it would block you if it discovered you had or just notify you.

I was hoping to find out how quick is camera from taking shot to preview of such shot
    When you take a photo it goes to the corner just like on BB10. Tapping the photo in the corner makes it fill the screen and you can pinch zoom in on it pretty much straight away.
    ptpete, kbrant64 and Pirate_King like this.
    I would wonder if such settings might be accessed by an APK. It seems nothing short of stupid to plant a 20MP camera setup in there as an over-spec'd point&shoot... noodle around PlayStore to see if there is an app to do all the finesse for the camera if you have the time...

You can peek into unread notifications from the Productivity Edge but only Hub compatible apps so again no Whatsapp. Personally I turned it off pretty much immediately but some people may like the feature.

Personal preference has been not to use them but they are cool.

All the Blackberry apps are visible in the Android Settings 'apps' menu. They update via the Play Store and the OS separately.

I can not see an option for that. It may be there somewhere but I checked the obvious places.

There is no Blackberry App World and purchases do not carry over into Play Store.

By default there is no swipe to wake and I can not see an option to enable it. You wake the screen by tapping twice, or by opening the keyboard.

Please do ask a question you would like to see answered.

Yes and you can change colour by app, account and contact. Oddly by default email accounts flash in White LED.

Liked it after an hour. Love it after a week. Needs a few software tweaks which I'm sure Blackberry is working on.

Yes it has the fugly Android emoji! Whatsapp has the iOS ones.

There is the option to install replacement emoji packs. I hope BB can make some nice ones.
    Thank you for your answer regarding productivity edge and pop up widgets. It does seem a bit 'busy' in the sense you can do similar things in various different ways. Each user will just do what works best for them.

10-31-15 03:28 PM
    My Passport is buttery smooth now but I have had it a long time. The keys are firm. They feel good.
    I like the softer. stiff keys slow you down, that's why I liked the Q10's keyboard a bit better. I flyed typing in that thing
    10-31-15 03:28 PM
    The Bell Store has a dummy unit for display. It felt solid and the screen curve was not that noticeable. This phone is large even with the slider closed. The Rep at the store opened the box so I could see how the phone was in the hand.

Which Bell Store? Anywhere near Waterloo?
    10-31-15 03:29 PM
    When you take a photo it goes to the corner just like on BB10. Tapping the photo in the corner makes it fill the screen and you can pinch zoom in on it pretty much straight away.
    This convinces me to buy it when available locally. It is not sensible for me to parallel import for various support reasons. Thank you for your time.
    SteelGreek likes this.
    10-31-15 03:29 PM
849 ... 56789 ...