I see a lot of people bashing the Hub. Remember this is the FIRST attempt on Android and the software will only get better in the future.

I have to admit I've never used a Blackberry device before (long time Android user and will probably buy the Priv due to the uniqueness of the device and keyboard), but I would imagine the first releases of the Hub was not without its own problems.
    10-31-15 12:41 PM
    Can you give the device id? I want to download from play store the apps of BlackBerry and this require device id of the priv

Posted via CB10
    We also need the device name, like the Nexus 7 2013 is the "razor".
    10-31-15 12:41 PM
    can you turn off whatsapp/whatever in the hub so you only deal with the native notifications from those apps? I knew exactly this is how the hub would work, coming from android. There's just no other way it can be done. thanks for all the info so far
    10-31-15 12:42 PM
    I see a lot of people bashing the Hub. Remember this is the FIRST attempt on Android and the software will only get better in the future.

I have to admit I've never used a Blackberry device before (long time Android user and will probably buy the Priv due to the uniqueness of the device and keyboard), but I would imagine the first releases of the Hub was not without its own problems.
    The thing about the hub that people seem to forget is that 3rd party developers are the one who should integrate their apps into the hub. The same is available for BB10. Did anyone really expect for devs to integrate their apps into another app that is not even released yet?

BB probably inegrated some apps that have public APIs available, but don't expect a lot of devs to do so.
    JPCarvalhinho, grydlok and QNX4all like this.
    10-31-15 12:45 PM
    BBM Video?
    Pinch to filter?

Posted via CB10
    10-31-15 12:47 PM
    The thing about the hub that people seem to forget is that 3rd party developers are the one who should integrate their apps into the hub. The same is available for BB10. Did anyone really expect for devs to integrate their apps into another app that is not even released yet?

BB probably inegrated some apps that have public APIs available, but don't expect a lot of devs to do so.
    and devs wont either. They wont until millions are using the app first, which wont happen because the apps aren't in the hub to begin with.

Prime example is bb10, no apps, no market share, no market share, no devs making apps.
    10-31-15 12:48 PM
    Correction on my previous point - it is in the Dialler settings. When you have an incoming call you can choose to:
    Do Nothing, Open the keyboard to Answer, Open the Keyboard to dismiss the call and text a reply. The default is reject call when you open the keyboard which is why I thought it did not work. I cannot see an option for 'hang up with slider' and did not work when I tried.
    I have a Priv. Ask me Anything.-tumblr_lrylxltnsa1qacgfco2_500.gif

I wouldn't worry too much about the Hub, it will gradually change over time. It's in the Play store so it won't take forever to update like through carrier updates.
    10-31-15 12:48 PM
    I hate using cases on my phones. Does it feel solid like a blackberry? Can take a drop? The curved screen makes me think it could be prone to cracking when dropped.

Posted via CB10
    10-31-15 12:53 PM
    Someone else asked this but there hasn't been a reply, is there bedside mode?

Also, is it useable with one hand?
    10-31-15 01:04 PM

If what the OP says is true then the Hub is a total bust. Not good enough, even for first iteration.

If you don't have a BB10, then you wouldn't undrstand, which maybe BB is counting on.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    10-31-15 01:05 PM
    We also need the device name, like the Nexus 7 2013 is the "razor".
    Cannot see any name in the About Phone menu.

can you turn off whatsapp/whatever in the hub so you only deal with the native notifications from those apps? I knew exactly this is how the hub would work, coming from android. There's just no other way it can be done. thanks for all the info so far
    Whatsapp does not appear in Hub at all. You get standard Android notification tray notifications for Whatsapp and a BB Spark on the Whatsapp icon. To clear the spark you have to clear the notification from the tray.

BBM Video?
    Pinch to filter?
    No and no.

I hate using cases on my phones. Does it feel solid like a blackberry? Can take a drop? The curved screen makes me think it could be prone to cracking when dropped.
    They've build you a solid phone here I think it could take a drop and I suspect the material will scratch less than the Passport chamfer.
    weezul likes this.
    10-31-15 01:06 PM
    ... It doubles up on notifications - if you get an SMS you see a spark on both the SMS app and the Hub icon. The spark remains if you read the SMS in the SMS app so you have to clear it twice.

I have gone back to a home screen with the main messaging apps on and when I hear a notification sound I first look at which app has the spark on it. That seems to me like the 2006 way of doing things.

When in the Hub you swipe the screen to the right to see your individual accounts just like on BB10... but if you swipe in the middle of the screen it tries to delete or file away the message you had your finger on. On BB10 swiping on a message in the Hub didn't do anything but in the Android Hub it registers as an interaction. That means if you want to get to account view, you have to swipe from the farthest left pixel of the screen avoiding the message, but that's hard to do because the farthest left pixel is down the side of the cell phone due to the curve screen.

Twitter, SMS, Facebook are all just notifications in the Hub and you cannot reply to them. Tapping a message opens the Messenger SMS app to actually reply.

Also if you see the spark on an app and go into it to check who has messaged you the spark remains until you go into the Android notification hub and dismiss the notification. It doubles the work you do to check notifications.

In short the Hub is pretty redundant as it stands and I miss it sorely. I hope they are working on it...
    Uh, why not just turn off the notifications in the respective apps? Wont they still appear in the Hub but not in the app itself?
    Last edited by Elite1; 10-31-15 at 03:01 PM.
    WWBlondieDo and MaxR_A like this.
    10-31-15 01:06 PM
    Someone else asked this but there hasn't been a reply, is there bedside mode?
    He said that there was not a bedside mode but there are lots of apps in Google Play that can do that.
    10-31-15 01:07 PM
    Thanks Privberry for taking your time answering questions.
    You already replied to a question regarding the keyboard. I am wondering:

1. How does the keyboard, or better the keys, compare in terms of size? Is it more comparable to let's say the Q10 or the slightly larger Classic?

2. How well is the device balanced in your opinion when the keyboard is slid open, is it comfortable or too top-heavy?

3. The screen is using AMOLED, are there any options to adjust the color reproduction? Samsung for instance offers a setting which lets you switch between cinematic, photo and neutral color modes.

4. Again for the screen, even though it is autumn, how well is it readable outsides?

5. Does the Priv come with any office suite pre-installed? Since BlackBerry owns Documents to Go, it would kinda make sense to at least have the Android version pre-loaded on the Priv.

6. Last but not least another keyboard question: Which one do you use more often, that slide-out physical keyboard or the virtual keyboard. After a week of use, is the keyboard as enjoyable as it was on QWERTY BB10 devices like Q10 or Passport?
    bonnev659 likes this.
    10-31-15 01:08 PM
    Uh, why not just turn off the notifications in the respective apps? Wont they still appear in the Hub but not in the app itself?
    Did you read this thread? There is no WhatsApp in the Hub at all. I imagine the same occurs for many many other apps as well.

kneebite likes this.
    10-31-15 01:13 PM
    Cannot see any name in the About Phone menu.
    Download Check My Android from the Play Store, the first option "Basic Information" will show the name under Product Name. It's either that or the code name, which CPU-Z will show under System then Board.
    10-31-15 01:17 PM
    If you switch off the SMS notifications in the Messenger app you do not get a tone or vibrate or popup when an SMS arrives. So yes you can have SMS appear silently in the Hub without notifying you but that is all.

1. How does the keyboard, or better the keys, compare in terms of size? Is it more comparable to let's say the Q10 or the slightly larger Classic?
    The keyboard is slightly wider than the Q10 but the individual keys are less tall than the Q10. It is perfectly comfortable to type on after the standard getting used to period when you change Blackberries!

2. How well is the device balanced in your opinion when the keyboard is slid open, is it comfortable or too top-heavy?
    Superbly balanced. Cannot fault the hardware.

3. The screen is using AMOLED, are there any options to adjust the color reproduction? Samsung for instance offers a setting which lets you switch between cinematic, photo and neutral color modes.
    Yes - color balance and saturation can be amended.

4. Again for the screen, even though it is autumn, how well is it readable outsides?
    It is bright and clear. What I particularly like compared with the Q10 screen is that any black on the screen (for example if you have the clock appear while charging) is genuine pure deep black.

5. Does the Priv come with any office suite pre-installed? Since BlackBerry owns Documents to Go, it would kinda make sense to at least have the Android version pre-loaded on the Priv.
    Sheets, Slides, Docs by Google.

6. Last but not least another keyboard question: Which one do you use more often, that slide-out physical keyboard or the virtual keyboard. After a week of use, is the keyboard as enjoyable as it was on QWERTY BB10 devices like Q10 or Passport?
    Without fail I pop out the physical keyboard. Sometimes if I am typing one word replies I will use the virtual keyboard but usually it is physical all the way. Typing is a dream. What else would you expect from a Blackberry. You can swipe down on the PKB to bring up punctuation just like on the Passport if you dont feel like using the ALT key. That also means one hand typing is easier. The best Blackberry keyboard EVER. Keyboard also works to move text cursor.
    10-31-15 01:19 PM
    Can you give the device id? I want to download from play store the apps of BlackBerry and this require device id of the priv

Posted via CB10
    How could you even think like that!

Posted via CB10
    10-31-15 01:21 PM
    Thank you for answering our questions.

Posted via CB10
    Xaiux, southlander and FF22 like this.
    10-31-15 01:23 PM
    His could you even think like that!

Posted via CB10
    I assume you mean how, but what's your issue?
    10-31-15 01:23 PM
    Wow thanks, that sounds pretty good.

I've got one last keyboard question: Is it possible to adjust the delay time of long-pressing a key? The majority of Android's virtual keyboard apps offer such a setting, wondering if BlackBerry also offers this for the physical keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    10-31-15 01:24 PM

Maybe it is something that will come with Marshmallow?

The reason I say that is as BB has been working with Google on this device and together they do not seem to have integrated sms fully into the hub. Surely if there was a way it would have been done?

In true BB fashion things may get better over time.

I was never a fan of the hub so having it as email only would suit me down to the ground!. I'm not getting a Priv anyhow.

10-31-15 01:24 PM
    Privberry

Does the productivity edge not work like peek?

How about the pop up widgets, do you find them useful?

10-31-15 01:27 PM
    Thanks for answering all these question!

Can you tell us how stock Android (assuming you are familiar with)?

How does BlackBerry intigrate, Installed apps only?

I assume Android is updated by Blackberry directly and apps separately like you confirmed?

Is it possible to disable quick charging in the settings? I ask this because heat shortens battery life and quick charging generates more heat. I plug overnight and don't need quick charging, so prefer to baby the battery.

Thanks in advance!
    10-31-15 01:32 PM
    Thanks for answering all these question!

Can you tell us how stock Android (assuming you are familiar with)?

How does BlackBerry intigrate, Installed apps only?

I assume Android is updated by Blackberry directly and apps separately like you confirmed?

Is it possible to disable quick charging in the settings? I ask this because heat shortens battery life and quick charging generates more heat. I plug overnight and don't need quick charging, so prefer to baby the battery.

Thanks in advance!
    I can answer the quick charging. Just don't use a charger that supports it.
    10-31-15 01:36 PM
849 ... 23456 ...