If you'll indulge me, I'll beat a dead horse here. It bugs me to no end that there's no way to deny apps access to some of your data while keeping the app installed and running. Yes, I know... I also happen to have my Z10 but sadly, mostly as a sidekick.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Attached Thumbnails I hate Android (despite having a PRIV) so...-15435.jpg  
    06-07-16 11:54 PM
    Marshmallow addresses your problem.

06-07-16 11:56 PM

Not really. You may now have the ability to disable specific assess within MM but the end result of that action my cause the app to not function as intended.

Posted via the PrivZilla!
    06-08-16 12:06 AM
    Not really. You may now have the ability to disable specific assess within MM but the end result of that action my cause the app to not function as intended.

That's par for the course on BlackBerry 10 and iOS as well. Always has been. Even happened on BBOS. If you deny a required function, say for the camera app to take pics, then obviously the camera is unable to take pics and you end up with a black screen.

Another example would be BeWeather. When loaded it requires your location to tell you the current weather in your area. If you deny location access, what do you think happens? It can't detect your location and therefore can't tell you the weather where you are.
    06-08-16 12:12 AM

Love the illustration!

Oh I forgot to mention that my precious PRIV is at the mercy of AT&T... so I have no Marshmallow, unfortunately.

06-08-16 12:12 AM
    Love the illustration!

Oh I forgot to mention that my precious PRIV is at the mercy of AT&T... so I have no Marshmallow, unfortunately.

Too bad then. Sorry.

Posted via the BlackBerry Priv�
    06-08-16 12:23 AM
    When Android starts putting out healthy versions of their OS, like Broccoli, Green Bean or Carrot, instead of calorie-laden, sugary confections like Marshmallow, Lollipop, Ice Cream Sandwich and Jelly Bean, I might give it another try.
    06-08-16 12:35 AM
    When Android starts putting out healthy versions of their OS, like Broccoli, Green Bean or Carrot, instead of calorie-laden, sugary confections like Marshmallow, Lollipop, Ice Cream Sandwich and Jelly Bean, I might give it another try.
    I wonder if that's where 'bloatware' comes from? 😀😀
    06-08-16 01:08 AM
    Hahaha

Posted via CB10
    06-08-16 06:37 AM
    If you'll indulge me, I'll beat a dead horse here. It bugs me to no end that there's no way to deny apps access to some of your data while keeping the app installed and running. Yes, I know... I also happen to have my Z10 but sadly, mostly as a sidekick.

You shouldn't even be using apps like CM, or any other anti virus, process killer. A waste of battery and resources at best.
    Just the fact that it even wants access to your contacts should tell you it's bad news and/or poorly designed.
    06-08-16 08:35 AM
    Love the illustration!

There are a few third party apps that can alter Permissions even under Lollipop. But you still do run into the issues discussed. If you deny certain permissions, the app might not function. Someone suggested a Battery app the other day. It asked for a ton of permissions including Contacts!!!! Now why would a Battery App need access to my Contacts. I did not even install it.
    Wezard likes this.
    06-08-16 09:24 AM
    I wonder if that's where 'bloatware' comes from? ����
    No. that's the gluten contents and lactose!
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-08-16 09:26 AM
    There are a few third party apps that can alter Permissions even under Lollipop. But you still do run into the issues discussed. If you deny certain permissions, the app might not function. Someone suggested a Battery app the other day. It asked for a ton of permissions including Contacts!!!! Now why would a Battery App need access to my Contacts. I did not even install it.
    Exactly!!! I fully understand that a barcode scanner app needs access to the camera and that Dropbox needs access to my device's file system to be useful. I just want the ability to deny the barcode app access to my device's messaging systems if I don't need the app to send anything from my device!

I was thinking... is this lack of granularity (in the way app permissions are administered) a limitation of the Android OS or a symptom of poor app development on the part of the app devs?

FF22 likes this.
    06-08-16 10:11 AM
    You shouldn't even be using apps like CM, or any other anti virus, process killer. A waste of battery and resources at best.
    Just the fact that it even wants access to your contacts should tell you it's bad news and/or poorly designed.
    It's not really a question of whether or not I should be using any particular app (I always have that choice, I know!), my point -- disappointment, really -- is that I have to grant apps access to everything or I can't even install them! It's even more infuriating to realize that most apps don't even use all the permissions they're granted. The OS should allow us to only grant them what they need!

FF22 likes this.
    06-08-16 10:20 AM

You simply have to try disabling permissions until the app no longer functions properly in order to determine which permissions you can turn off, and which you can't. You can always turn permissions back on. Many apps, you can turn off all permissions and the app will function perfectly fine.

Posted from my BlackBerry Priv on Rogers Network.
    Laura Knotek and FF22 like this.
    06-08-16 10:21 AM
    Exactly!!! I fully understand that a barcode scanner app needs access to the camera and that Dropbox needs access to my device's file system to be useful. I just want the ability to deny the barcode app access to my device's messaging systems if I don't need the app to send anything from my device!

I was thinking... is this lack of granularity (in the way app permissions are administered) a limitation of the Android OS or a symptom of poor app development on the part of the app devs?

It is probably a combination of poor development and Android/Google wanting access to too much stuff.

And I really don't see why some of these Permissions are needed AT ALL. Again, a battery app does not appear to need access to Contacts or Calendar.....

So, while we are in agreement, we have very little control.
    06-08-16 12:30 PM
    You simply have to try disabling permissions until the app no longer functions properly in order to determine which permissions you can turn off, and which you can't. You can always turn permissions back on. Many apps, you can turn off all permissions and the app will function perfectly fine.

Posted from my BlackBerry Priv on Rogers Network.
    I do like that in some app descriptions the developer explains why certain Permissions are needed. But not all do that.
    06-08-16 12:35 PM
    No. that's the gluten contents and lactose!
    Fortunately I'm not intolerant of either. 🍴🍦🍩🍰🍪
    FF22 likes this.
    06-08-16 12:45 PM
    Marshmallow does fix the app permission thing. And so far I've had no apps fail to work after denying what I didn't think the app needed.
    06-08-16 07:01 PM
    Android has come a long way I don't mind it but feel Apple has the best eco system in my opinion.

I like my priv but would prefer a Android based Classic over the priv. Apple devices hold their value the best.

06-08-16 07:06 PM
    Many of you are ******** for nothing. If BB decides that you will have android with a taste of BB, you cannot (and probably should not) be upset, as that is the device you bought.
    If you want android experience, there are 2 ways. One, getting a nexus phone. (And you cant cut google out.) Two, getting a phone with unlocked bootloader and installing some AOSP roms onto that (here, google is optional). As for the latter I recommend to try Cyanogenmod.(not entirely AOSP, but as close as it gets and very userfriendly) Then, you will have the right to be upset about non-working android, if you find flaws there. Not in the infinite flavours you can get from any manufacturer.
    FF22 likes this.
    06-08-16 07:37 PM

Cheetah Mobile makes tools that require access to nearly every aspect of your device, especially if you're using their screen locker. They're 3rd party system software - if they don't get access, they don't do their job. If you don't want them having access, don't install them.
    06-09-16 01:26 AM
    Wouldn't broccoli cause Fartware?
    hilld, shabbs and MC_A_DOT like this.
    06-09-16 02:11 AM
    Even in BlackBerry 10 there were apps with a lot of permissions you couldn't turn off. Amazon for example: Location, Phone, Shared files (pics, music, docs, even docs on cloud services), mirophone, camera. You can't disable any of them.

The issue doesn't boil down to Android, it boils down to developers either using things that aren't neccessary, or just poor coding for the app. Android addresses it, but AT&T is the reason you cannot do this on your device yet, not Google.

Also, Tottenham > Arsenal
    FF22 likes this.
    06-09-16 05:58 AM
    Many of you are ******** for nothing. If BB decides that you will have android with a taste of BB, you cannot (and probably should not) be upset, as that is the device you bought.
    If you want android experience, there are 2 ways. One, getting a nexus phone. (And you cant cut google out.) Two, getting a phone with unlocked bootloader and installing some AOSP roms onto that (here, google is optional). As for the latter I recommend to try Cyanogenmod.(not entirely AOSP, but as close as it gets and very userfriendly) Then, you will have the right to be upset about non-working android, if you find flaws there. Not in the infinite flavours you can get from any manufacturer.
    Or install Miui OS... it has built in permission control.

Besides, playstore already warned us what permission the app required before we install them.
    06-09-16 06:08 AM
37 12