I'm sure there are some sort of algorithms, market research stuff available to BB to determine the order run but I'm quite fearful of a back-order situation in the run up to Xmas. That might lead to 10s of thousands of lost sales. Holiday gifts have a real timeline. No Priv's available, it'll be" hello Samsung" (have you noticed how they have increased their advertising recently?). 3 million phones will cost them 1 billion dollars. to have ready..... (13,000,000 iphones sold last weekend it is said)
    09-29-15 11:23 AM
    Yeah I think BlackBerry is going to underestimate the demand for this phone due to the z10 debacle. I am looking for a phone before the new year I hope they get enough out to meet the demand.

Posted via CB10
    ayngling likes this.
    09-29-15 11:41 AM
    BlackBerry isn't Apple though... Even IF the devices generate enough hype to move product, the odds of BlackBerry selling out and having the Apple-esque back order nightmare the OP seems distraught over are next to nonexistent...

While the Priv is doing excellent PR wise, the generated chatter hasn't even amounted to a top trending topic yet, something that signifies a wide-grasp of public interest that would lead one to believe a Blockbuster sell-out was imminent... I don't see people camping out to get the Priv the eve before its' release like some products... I think you'll have no issue getting a Priv at launch...

Posted via CB10
    09-29-15 11:53 AM
    There won't be. With all the anti-Android-BlackBerry people, lots will not order and many more for us.
    7onZ likes this.
    09-29-15 12:10 PM
    There won't be. With all the anti-Android-BlackBerry people, lots will not order and many more for us.
    That's not a fair observation... There are other reasons this device isn't appealing... I'm not anti-Android, I use Android... (I prefer BlackBerry OS overall, but I have used Android on my other line occasionally and on my tablets... Even built a few laptops with dual OS, powered in part by Android.) What's personally holding me back from being love-struck is the form factor... I'm anti-Slider... Bring it out in a Passport or Classic form and I'd be all in... It would be fabulous on my secondary line... Even a horizontal slide would have maybe sold me (I used to tag-team, BlackBerry on line one, Sidekick line 2) But the vertical slide is just impractical to me...

Posted via CB10
    09-29-15 12:23 PM
    That's not a fair observation... There are other reasons this device isn't appealing... I'm not anti-Android, I use Android... (I prefer BlackBerry OS overall, but I have used Android on my other line occasionally and on my tablets... Even built a few laptops with dual OS, powered in part by Android.) What's personally holding me back from being love-struck is the form factor... I'm anti-Slider... Bring it out in a Passport or Classic form and I'd be all in... It would be fabulous on my secondary line... Even a horizontal slide would have maybe sold me (I used to tag-team, BlackBerry on line one, Sidekick line 2) But the vertical slide is just impractical to me...

Posted via CB10
    It was a jab at all the "will Priv have BB10" people .
    CivilDissident likes this.
    09-29-15 12:35 PM
    They should just start taking pre-orders now. Make the first run large enough to take care of that. Then you can use a more conservative guess on Christmas demand to avoid another Z10 debacle.
    ayngling likes this.
    09-29-15 03:18 PM
    They should just start taking pre-orders now. Make the first run large enough to take care of that. Then you can use a more conservative guess on Christmas demand to avoid another Z10 debacle.
    Yes yes this! Google is taking preorders for the new Nexus for early November shipment. Do a preorder run and then whatever guestimate for carrier orders.
    09-29-15 03:31 PM
    Yes yes this! Google is taking preorders for the new Nexus for early November shipment. Do a preorder run and then whatever guestimate for carrier orders.
    Someone confidently said on here that BB does't do preorders, although I thought they had in the past
    09-29-15 05:21 PM
    If that is remotely true once it's released that would be a nice problem to have

Posted via CB10
    jope28 likes this.
    09-29-15 06:54 PM
    I'm not so sure demand will be so great on day one. It's really only Apple fanboys that do that day one or first weekend thing. Samsung does not have issues so why would BlackBerry?

Posted via  BlackBerry Z30
    09-29-15 07:08 PM
    I agree it won't be a Apple like debut, but the Passport and Classic were both sold out on shop BlackBerry at launch.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-15 07:13 PM
    Isn't BB outsourcing the inventory risk on this? And doesn't that actually increase the risk of having to take long back orders? Because the manufacturing partner doesn't want to get caught out?

Sent from my iPhone 6S using Tapatalk
    09-29-15 07:26 PM
    Could also be that some of us are just "pro-BB10" and undecided about (not sold on) what platform to go to after BB10.

Just because some here decide that the slider isn't for them, doesn't mean that it's for one universal reason. Same goes for the Passport.

I personally have Android and iOS in my household and am pretty sure that if/when the time to leave BB10 comes, my choice won't be one of those two.
    Don't know what I'll do.

But that's just me. I'm sure that I'll figure it out by then lol

OK!
    You got me!
    I lied. Can't imagine myself having a Google account.
    I'm really just one of those "anti-Android-BlackBerry people" as much as I'd be an "anti-iOS BlackBerry people" if that were possible.
    Guilty as charged.

 Frosty White Q10/10.3.2.2639 CB10 
    09-29-15 07:28 PM
    Isn't BB outsourcing the inventory risk on this? And doesn't that actually increase the risk of having to take long back orders? Because the manufacturing partner doesn't want to get caught out?

Sent from my iPhone 6S using Tapatalk
    I don't think they are doing a Z3 /Foxconn arrangement for the Priv. AFAIK that was a one time deal and Foxconn won't want to get into another one with BB again as the Z3 did not sell.
    09-30-15 02:08 AM
    BlackBerry should hurry up setting up a nice product website, maybe even a dedicated one, record some demo videos and offer a discounted preorder option.

That's what I would do if I were Chen.

Edit: and send Privs to all blogs out there with a cheat sheet about the unique features of the device, so those people at The Verge also understand how the device works (because after all, it's no iPhone) ^^

Posted via CB10
    09-30-15 02:27 AM
    It's blackberry. Fear every situation!

Posted via CB10
    09-30-15 11:08 AM
    BlackBerry isn't Apple though... Even IF the devices generate enough hype to move product, the odds of BlackBerry selling out and having the Apple-esque back order nightmare the OP seems distraught over are next to nonexistent...

Posted via CB10
    Well, no. Actually you can get into a backordered situation two ways:

You manufactured a very large number and a much larger number of orders were placed (Apple).

Or... you can manufacture a pretty small number, and a slightly 'less small' number of orders are placed (BlackBerry's Passport).

Both of them are annoying for consumers,.. but one of them is much better news for the company. Lol

Posted via CB10
    09-30-15 11:57 AM
    Well, no. Actually you can get into a backordered situation two ways:

You manufactured a very large number and a much larger number of orders were placed (Apple).

Or... you can manufacture a pretty small number, and a slightly 'less small' number of orders are placed (BlackBerry's Passport).

Both of them are annoying for consumers,.. but one of them is much better news for the company. Lol

Posted via CB10
    Touch! Haha!!

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-30-15 12:58 PM