Don't forget BlackBerry 10 4 Life! Android sucks, etc.

Wow, okay. Explain this to me then...say PRIV demand turns out to be strong. BlackBerry stocks-out fast. What will be Chen's excuse to the board for not being able to deliver on strong demand? What is he going to say "oops, I didn't realize it will sell" or "the supply chain director did it". Seriously, I'm grasping at straws here even trying to come up with a remotely feasible scenario where anything that you have said to date in this thread makes any sense. If they were dumping more BlackBerry 10 devices in the market maybe, just maybe there would be a semblance of "sense" in your argument. As it stands, well, you don't have a leg to stand on.
    You are assuming that BlackBerry is going to market this phone aggressively so people don't think it is just another BlackBerry. Most people thought that BB10 was just another BBOS offering. Now there is more confusion as there is a BlackBerry Android. BlackBerry is a type of phone in peoples mind and going Android isn't going to change that unless there are a lot of advertising to change that perception. So if they market the Priv the same as they did with BB10, then it will fail. You also have to hope that the production numbers are right because they have to actually make products for people to buy. Then there is the price. If it is the same price or higher than a Samsung and isn't advertised to the point where people understand what the product is, then it will fail. So Chen can price the phone too high, not advertise it to clear up the brand confusion, and produce low volumes to make the product fail when he says that he tried.
    10-17-15 10:41 AM
    I think you misunderstand me. I'm agreeing with you and all of these points except the one about BB10.

I think Chen did not believe the Classic would really save BB10. I still think it was a stall tactic. We will never know for sure, of course.

PassportSQW100-4/10.3.2.2789
    I think he hoped that he could sell Classic and Leap and Passport to corporations like BlackBerry did in it early days, meaning in numbers sufficient to generate a profit.

BlackBerry has sales teams that market to CIOs and I have to think that these teams did their best to sell. After all, as salespeople, their jobs depend on their sales numbers. Recall that BlackBerry's Sr VP of sales lost his job a few months ago. So, there have been consequences.

Now, I believe what Chen says. He hopes to transition everyone away from BB10.

Posted via CB10
    10-17-15 10:55 AM
    I see that the "positive" posts are starting to emerge, next ting we'll hear is that the priv comes preloaded with the commandments of church of flying spaghetti monster and an application form so we can all become gloriuos desciples of this order
    10-17-15 11:00 AM
    I see that the "positive" threads are starting to emerge, next ting we'll hear is that the priv comes preloaded with the commandments of church of flying spaghetti monster and an application form
    Nah, it's a donation form for the "Build the BB10 Priv Foundation". Complete with payroll deduction.
    10-17-15 11:01 AM
    I see that the "positive" threads are starting to emerge, next ting we'll hear is that the priv comes preloaded with the commandments of church of flying spaghetti monster and an application form
    Yup, it's all getting a bit surreal
    10-17-15 11:03 AM
    As a supply chain person for several fortune 500 companies I call BS on this one.

Posted via CB10
    10-17-15 12:29 PM
    Truth is what I have been saying. Chen does not want to make hardware. He doesn't understand it and wants out. So he will make a half hearted attempt with the Priv and when it fails, he will say. "See. I couldn't make it so I am out". He has done everything in his power to make BB10 fail and now the Priv. When I traveled though the states and showed them my Z30, they had no clue that BlackBerry 1. Still made phones or 2. Make a full touch device.

Now with the limited volume and high price and the Chen saying it's as good as the KNOX, he has setup the Priv to fail to get what he wants.
    I agree with OP that inventory and cash flow is everything. No company can grow that fast without having the resources.

BB10 has improved by leaps in bounds in the past 15 months. The jury is out on the AndroidOS, but in order for BlackBerry to gain their market share they had to make a change.

Why not make a $1000 on 10 phone instead of $1000 on a 100 phones? (figuratively speaking)

PIN 829A
    10-17-15 01:30 PM
    Ahh finally someone who has some grasp on the business side of things. Many thanks for a refreshing and sensible comment. A lot of people here seem to think blackberry has the financial will power to sloppily manage inventory and take big risks

Posted via CB10
    10-17-15 01:39 PM
    Selling 500k Privs between launch day and New Years Eve doesn�t sound bad to me.

JC didn't say he want to sell 5 million this year.

I have a lot of talks with the tech folks in my company and those that are with Android really like what they read about the Priv.

So this can really become a good success story for the company and those involved in building the Priv.

Posted via CB10 using a PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2639
    Mr4aces likes this.
    10-17-15 01:41 PM
    22 weeks lead time? Really? Hard to believe that any phone would take 22 weeks to be produced in huge numbers. So just another BS rumor

Posted via CB10
    Why hard to believe without saying why?

A few years ago, the company I work for could get wifi chips with practically no lead time. After the financial downturn, lead times went to 3 months and mfg stopped stocking them and built to order.

There's tons more parts in the phone than the embedded wireless device with many more chances of 1-2 components with long lead times. I read at one point the Samsung edge was suffering from yield issues and wasn't producing the numbers they expected.

Sometimes you can do part substitution, and other times you can't.

Posted via CB10
    10-17-15 02:29 PM
    Why hard to believe without saying why?

A few years ago, the company I work for could get wifi chips with practically no lead time. After the financial downturn, lead times went to 3 months and mfg stopped stocking them and built to order.

There's tons more parts in the phone than the embedded wireless device with many more chances of 1-2 components with long lead times. I read at one point the Samsung edge was suffering from yield issues and wasn't producing the numbers they expected.

Sometimes you can do part substitution, and other times you can't.

Posted via CB10
    While I agree with all you say, I reckon the long lead time reason is simpler than that.

BB get other companies to build their phones. Those other companies also build for other phone vendors. Re-tooling a production line costs money and time and production slots need to be booked.

No manufacturing facility is going to bump e.g. Apple if BB decides it wants to build some more Privs because they're selling well. So BB will have to wait their turn... Hence the 22-weeks.

We kind of saw this happening with the Z3. The initial run sold out, and it was weeks before Z3's were again available.

Sent from my Awesome Lumia 1520
    Troy Tiscareno and dolco like this.
    10-17-15 03:11 PM
    Maybe he'll release this phone without much marketing, find out its selling pretty well and ramp up productions and do a mass blitz on advertising. **** I don't know. Just making **** up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
    10-17-15 03:20 PM
    No I don't think so. The parts used in this phone are the same in many phones. Whats not the same is the body / frame and the keyboard. Other than that the processor, ram, storage, wifi / cell radio, screen from samsung or lg, and sd card readers are all the same. It should not take 22 weeks. I'd guess 1/2 that.
    10-17-15 03:31 PM
    I don't know if you know it, but 22 weeks it's almost half an year. So you want to sell 5million in 1 year, you only make 500k for the first half, then you expect to sell 4.5 million for the rest of the year when the phone isn't novelty anymore.

I don't buy this rumour.
    I think 22 weeks from start to finish for first batch might sound reasonable, but then once the process is sorted out it should take a fraction of that to make new batches.

Posted via CB10
    10-17-15 03:43 PM
    So many people post here with no idea of corporate structure. CEO's don't have the power to wake up in the morning and decide that all phones will now be coloured purple or we'll make no phones at all! The CEO is responsible to and reports to the Board of Directors and shareholders. The primary goal of every corporation is to make profit and in a publicly traded company see the price of shares rise.

Now send a message to Chen and that you are a BlackBerry fan and you want him to make 5 million phones that might not sell. Trust me he is not listening!

Passport SQW 100-1 OS 10.3.2.2639 Winnipeg,MB
    Mr4aces likes this.
    10-17-15 03:45 PM
    I think 22 weeks from start to finish for first batch might sound reasonable, but then once the process is sorted out it should take a fraction of that to make new batches.

Posted via CB10
    22 weeks the tech industry it's ages. Especially for companies like Foxcon that have so much experience. It's not like they have to design the phone from the start. Just look at the Passport launch. They made 200k devices wich sold out pretty fast, and in a couple of weeks there was plenty of availability again. 22 weeks is Absurd! 22 weeks from now is around March... Think about it... We might have the Galaxy S7 by that time.
    10-17-15 03:49 PM
    So many people post here with no idea of corporate structure. CEO's don't have the power to wake up in the morning and decide that all phones will now be coloured purple or we'll make no phones at all! The CEO is responsible to and reports to the Board of Directors and shareholders. The primary goal of every corporation is to make profit and in a publicly traded company see the price of shares rise.

Now send a message to Chen and that you are a BlackBerry fan and you want him to make 5 million phones that might not sell. Trust me he is not listening!

Nobody said they should make 5 million from the start... waiting 22 weeks to get another batch of phones isn't how it works either
    10-17-15 03:50 PM
    Nobody said they should make 5 million from the start... waiting 22 weeks to get another batch of phones isn't how it works either
    Agreed, the 22 weeks thing is an insane comment! Foxconn could easily build 10's of thousands a day!

10-17-15 06:23 PM
    I have been in the manufacturing sector for over 30 years and most of the assembly process is automated and I can tell you 22 weeks lead time in today's high tech manufacturing sector, no way, someone's smoking crack.
    10-17-15 06:35 PM
    I will order the purple one..

10-17-15 06:36 PM
    I have been in the manufacturing sector for over 30 years and most of the assembly process is automated and I can tell you 22 weeks lead time in today's high tech manufacturing sector, no way, someone's smoking crack.
    You're right... JC does look puffy of late...

Posted via CB10
    10-17-15 07:25 PM
    If this is true then it confirms the very existence of the BlackBerry10 Priv because...
    There was a post at REDDIT (yes a very credible source right?) just like this rumor that confirms such decision by BlackBerry!
    [satire]

A South Korean buying a made-in-Korea Z10Transformcase from Shop BlackBerry US
    10-17-15 07:52 PM
    5 year contract? That puts them into 2018.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    10-17-15 07:58 PM
    Didn't BBRY only sell 800k phones among all current models last quarter? 500K sounds about right for 1 quarter's worth of 1 flagship phone. We all want it to be successful, but the truth is this a specialty phone and not a mass market phone. They don't have a track record for success right now and any phones they don't sell get listed as losses. I think I remember them writing off $2.7B from unsold Z10's and Q10's. Chen knows they can't do that again.
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-17-15 09:05 PM
    If Chen is playing it safe and this blows up then there will be some very angry customers... then again, there's not a whole lot of marketing for this and what is, is bland white and catches the attention of no one... If priced right this has the potential of selling 500k within the first few weeks..

Let this rumour be true or not, my faith in this company(and Chen) is diminishing every day. Sad as I was so excited for this phone but the rumoured pricing is terrifying and if it's north of $800 then I probably wont get it. It is what it is.... until it isn't.
    10-17-15 09:23 PM
84 1234