How water resistant is the priv? The reason I ask this is because I'm an alcoholic and escaped from a mental hospital and got very drunk on vodka. I was sat on a bench near the petrol station where I had bought the vodka. It was raining and I was using my priv WITH the PKB open. I was drunk and wanted to kill somebody so didn't really care that my priv was getting wet. When the police released me with a caution the following day all I could think about, other than needing a drink, was using my priv in the rain the day before. It seems to be working fine at the moment, but could there be any long term damage? The touch screen works, the PKB buttons all work and the PKB scrolling is working; but I've used BB10 devices in the rain in the past and they worked fine for a number of weeks before I started noticing problems with the touch screen and PKB. I really hope my priv has survived the rain without any long term damage. So yeah, I'm asking how water resistant the priv is and if anybody else has experienced noticeable damage after using their priv in the rain?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Doggerz likes this.
    04-11-16 04:55 AM
    What a good story!

04-11-16 05:02 AM
    Not even remotely water proof.

I've have 3 cross my desk in various states of wetness (sea water, table water and coffee) all of them promptly died.

there is also about 4 or 5 water ingress marker inside the phone that i've seen (without disassembling PCB)

but yeah.. cool story bro.
    04-11-16 05:13 AM
    So the likelihood is that my priv will be damage in the long run?

04-11-16 06:52 AM
    Priv aside, I love this story and would genuinely enjoy hearing about the escape from the mental hospital.

Z5 - E6853 / Android 6.0 / T-Mobile USA
    FF22 and TheBond like this.
    04-11-16 07:00 AM
    Good that you admit your addiction; the first step. However I also hope you have support to work on that and the mental aspect of it. (Most important especially if you are having "killing someone" thoughts) I am assuming you are back in hospital and surprised you would have access to your phone while being admitted.
    Yes, nice story about phone but not sure how others are not a little startled by the rest of it assuming it's true.

Sounds like Priv may be a little water resistant but very little like most phones.

Posted via my PRIV
    Last edited by Pinot2015; 04-11-16 at 07:31 AM.
    04-11-16 07:04 AM
    ****Ignore, I double posted by accident. why no delete post opportunity on this Android app?****
    Last edited by Pinot2015; 04-11-16 at 07:32 AM.
    04-11-16 07:18 AM
    This is forums for everything BlackBerry. But i think you need help from a psychiatrist. Lol. Kidding aside, Priv has moving parts so I think it will not survive on water in the long run.

04-11-16 07:25 AM
    Well, since alcohol is your drink of choice, a natural alcohol without additives can be used to dry the phone.

But if any part about use in the rain is true, find some uncooked rice or desiccant and leave the phone in it for two or three days to draw off the moisture that may have penetrated.
    04-11-16 09:10 AM
    Lol at the story. Anyway, put your PRIV in rice for 24 hours. It's way too late now but try at least.

Posted via CB10
    04-11-16 09:27 AM
    I dropped my Priv in a bucket of mop water. Completely submerged. Damn thing worked for like 20 secs then turned off. I had to use my warranty to replace the device since everything I tried including rice didn't work. The day I'm supposed to ship the phone back after already paying the deductible and receiving my new Priv I decided to try to turn it on. Damn thing boots up and works like nothing happend. I was tempted to just keep the phone but they would have charged my debit card additional $400 for not returning the water damaged device

Posted via the BlackBerry Priv
    04-11-16 09:55 AM
    I dropped my Priv in a bucket of mop water. Completely submerged. Damn thing worked for like 20 secs then turned off. I had to use my warranty to replace the device since everything I tried including rice didn't work. The day I'm supposed to ship the phone back after already paying the deductible and receiving my new Priv I decided to try to turn it on. Damn thing boots up and works like nothing happend. I was tempted to just keep the phone but they would have charged my debit card additional $400 for not returning the water damaged device

Posted via the BlackBerry Priv
    That's one issue with non-removable battery - you cannot easily remove the power even by turning it off.
    04-11-16 10:14 AM
    I am also beginning to wonder about this phone's water resistance! Three weekends ago I baptized my Priv in the waters of a local beach...foot -an-a-half of water; phone switched off. Couldn't do nothing about it till I got home hours later. Dang! No rice in the house. Stripped the phone down and put a hairdryer to it...no joy. Fully 24hrs before the phone was submerged in a bag of rice (thanks to my wife who went to the grocery store specially). Three days later tried the phone...dead as a door nail. Gave up. Took my SIM and SD card out and resurrected an old z30 which was having the "phone has stopped charging" issue (resolved that BTW...google "z30 battery drained and phone does not start or charging")...anyways, I digress. Two weeks later I need a photo for my wedding anniversary FB post...it occurs to me that all my photos are on the dead phone...depressed! I am almost resigned to throwing the phone in the trash by now but I plug it in one mo' time...the dang thing starts charging! My Priv is resurrected and running like nothing happened! Also, having applied the August update and switched to Nova Launcher, it's running like a dream, including running A LOT cooler than before! Who knew!
    09-01-17 01:18 PM
    I am also beginning to wonder about this phone's water resistance! Three weekends ago I baptized my Priv in the waters of a local beach...foot -an-a-half of water; phone switched off. Couldn't do nothing about it till I got home hours later. Dang! No rice in the house. Stripped the phone down and put a hairdryer to it...no joy. Fully 24hrs before the phone was submerged in a bag of rice (thanks to my wife who went to the grocery store specially). Three days later tried the phone...dead as a door nail. Gave up. Took my SIM and SD card out and resurrected an old z30 which was having the "phone has stopped charging" issue (resolved that BTW...google "z30 battery drained and phone does not start or charging")...anyways, I digress. Two weeks later I need a photo for my wedding anniversary FB post...it occurs to me that all my photos are on the dead phone...depressed! I am almost resigned to throwing the phone in the trash by now but I plug it in one mo' time...the dang thing starts charging! My Priv is resurrected and running like nothing happened! Also, having applied the August update and switched to Nova Launcher, it's running like a dream, including running A LOT cooler than before! Who knew!
    I have seen electronics return after the apparent death by water, but I wouldn't recommend ever trying it. Recently a guest spilled coffee on my $400 programmable universal remote control, and it seemed permanently dead. But I removed the batteries, left it alone for a few days, and it works as food as new now.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    09-01-17 03:34 PM
    I'm guessing the speakers would die from a larger liquid spill but the for the rest you would need to dunk it in water.
    09-02-17 07:24 AM