I recently have found the manual / tutorial on the net.

It tells you how you can root your BlackBerry Priv device with ease.

Click and see here below for the link.

https://root-android.kingoapp.com/bl...v-root-apk.htm

For YouTube Video link to see, click here below.

02-05-19 05:48 PM
    Looks like someone needs to go pick up their $1000 bounty over at the xda developers forums.

If that really is root.

Edit:

Actually, that link was posted a year ago in the xda forums for the Priv, but no one followed up on it. So, I'm guessing that it doesn't work.
    02-05-19 06:15 PM
    Fake News.
    PHughes likes this.
    02-05-19 06:39 PM
    Looks like someone needs to go pick up their $1000 bounty over at the xda developers forums.

If that really is root.

Edit:

Actually, that link was posted a year ago in the xda forums for the Priv, but no one followed up on it. So, I'm guessing that it doesn't work.

I have four Priv devices in total and I've tested one of the 4 Priv's and that particular device is now rooted and the rest unrooted. it works for me 100%.

It's the real deal.

Posted via CB10
    Mecca EL likes this.
    02-05-19 06:49 PM
    And, I assume you've loaded up a custom rom? How does it run?
    02-05-19 06:59 PM
    I have four Priv devices in total and I've tested one of the 4 Priv's and that particular device is now rooted and the rest unrooted. it works for me 100%.

It's the real deal.

Posted via CB10
    Spoiler alert: you didn't root your device.
    PHughes likes this.
    02-05-19 07:32 PM

It's the real deal.

Posted via CB10
    Unless you show us a video of you filming yourself on your Priv heading over to settings -> about phone and it shows a newer version of Android, confirming that you rooted it, then I don't believe it.
    02-05-19 11:17 PM
    Any further thought on whether this actually works. I need it ideally for battery saving and to turn on/off mobile data which burns through my battery...

Having root would be useful as BlackBerry I don't think they are releasing an update to fix the hardware so we have no other choice

Any news on this or a way to do it would be useful to all...

Many thanks
    02-13-19 09:54 AM
    Rooting a BlackBerry powered by Android??? Never!!!

Posted via CB10
    02-13-19 10:00 AM
    Any further thought on whether this actually works. I need it ideally for battery saving and to turn on/off mobile data which burns through my battery...

Having root would be useful as BlackBerry I don't think they are releasing an update to fix the hardware so we have no other choice

Any news on this or a way to do it would be useful to all...

Many thanks
    It will never happen.

That's the whole point of a BlackBerry. The benefits/detriments of rooting can be argued all week long, but it ain't happening on a BlackBerry.
    02-13-19 11:32 AM
    Lol never is a strong statement, it's a shame as it's a good device for business use ,but with 3g eating battery like chocolate cake whilst on the road, makes it almost useless and an uncomfortable devise to use.

What I don't understand is the government and companies all shout about environmental waste and recycling of products and yet companies like BlackBerry are not supporting and dropping almost current devises and not fixing issues to make them work well in the fixation of profit at all cost.

BlackBerry could make profit on good service and support and keeping products updated, but they are killing their client base off and leaving waste of half hearted products that have heat and power issues.

I know it's been said many times, but hopefully one day it'll be rooted or fixed by some clever programmer.

Atb
    02-13-19 11:48 AM
    Lol never is a strong statement, it's a shame as it's a good device for business use ,but with 3g eating battery like chocolate cake whilst on the road, makes it almost useless and an uncomfortable devise to use.

What I don't understand is the government and companies all shout about environmental waste and recycling of products and yet companies like BlackBerry are not supporting and dropping almost current devises and not fixing issues to make them work well in the fixation of profit at all cost.

BlackBerry could make profit on good service and support and keeping products updated, but they are killing their client base off and leaving waste of half hearted products that have heat and power issues.

I know it's been said many times, but hopefully one day it'll be rooted or fixed by some clever programmer.

Atb
    You could also go for a KEY device and enjoy MUCH better battery life and navigation performance.
    Sigewif likes this.
    02-13-19 02:50 PM
    Hi The-boon thanks for the heads up, I have one underway for delivery tomorrow, but this enforces the point I was trying to make. Rather than assisting with major issues experienced by many users the only option is to leave Blackberry devises behind or replace with newer ones, as they sort out their issues at our expense.

It doesnt do the company nor the environment any good to just abandon these mobiles and just move on because the mobile has become a headache for them. A simple but effective task killer and some adjustments to background processes and sorting the 3g issue would sort this mobile without having to immediately upgrade to a new mobile.

It would make customers loyal as it shows that Blackberry stand by their products, this is why Nokia failed but theirs was rubbish software rather than hardware that killed that company.

Such a shame that Blackberry wont either let the XDA community help out and allow them to root and fix the handsets issues or invest themselves in an update to this handset to make its longevity last better than a few months.

I'm not too bothered by the security aspect, I and Im sure many didnt buy it for that. I bought it mainly for the keyboard and ram for use for my work. No business or company is going to take on the Blackberry Priv in their right mind for the security aspect. As their reps wont use it, as it'll run out of battery before lunch on the road, so what good is security when the device shuts down in the middle of meetings.

Its just a protectionism to save face and walk away from the situation, the environment and the people deserve better than that, Blackberry doubtless wont do either but itll be a short foray into android market if they keep going this way.

I just hope the Keyone is better but I dont like the keyboard exposed all the time, but beggars cant be choosers and I'll have to live with this compromise, the Priv is a much better looking devise in my eyes...

ATB
    02-13-19 03:20 PM
    Any further thought on whether this actually works.
    It doesn't. Period.
    02-13-19 03:24 PM
    Hi The-boon thanks for the heads up, I have one underway for delivery tomorrow, but this enforces the point I was trying to make. Rather than assisting with major issues experienced by many users the only option is to leave Blackberry devises behind or replace with newer ones, as they sort out their issues at our expense.

It doesnt do the company nor the environment any good to just abandon these mobiles and just move on because the mobile has become a headache for them. A simple but effective task killer and some adjustments to background processes and sorting the 3g issue would sort this mobile without having to immediately upgrade to a new mobile.

It would make customers loyal as it shows that Blackberry stand by their products, this is why Nokia failed but theirs was rubbish software rather than hardware that killed that company.

Such a shame that Blackberry wont either let the XDA community help out and allow them to root and fix the handsets issues or invest themselves in an update to this handset to make its longevity last better than a few months.

I'm not too bothered by the security aspect, I and Im sure many didnt buy it for that. I bought it mainly for the keyboard and ram for use for my work. No business or company is going to take on the Blackberry Priv in their right mind for the security aspect. As their reps wont use it, as it'll run out of battery before lunch on the road, so what good is security when the device shuts down in the middle of meetings.

Its just a protectionism to save face and walk away from the situation, the environment and the people deserve better than that, Blackberry doubtless wont do either but itll be a short foray into android market if they keep going this way.

I just hope the Keyone is better but I dont like the keyboard exposed all the time, but beggars cant be choosers and I'll have to live with this compromise, the Priv is a much better looking devise in my eyes...

ATB
    This industry wants consumers to...well, consume.

I was suggesting going for a KEY device (which you already have done) since it's the fastest and easiest way to get a modern keyboard smartphone that actually has reliable battery life and performance.
    This is something the Priv just cannot achieve.
    I owned 5 different Priv's, and even installed brand new OEM batteries on 2 of them, and with almost all battery saving tips applied (battery saving mode always on, Wifi and Bluetooth scanning off, Google Apps disabled etc...) and it was still a challenge to get 5 hours of screen on time and/or a long busy day.
    I too loved the bigger AMOLED display, but I'd rather have an average 3:2 LCD on a reliable device that can navigate Google Maps without being dog slow and overheating.
    02-13-19 04:41 PM
    Yeah, you have to remember that the Priv was BlackBerry's first attempt at an android phone. They went with Qualcomm's crappy Snapdragon 808 that always overheated like crazy (although later OS updates tamed it slightly).

Even so, I almost got one at the end of availability, but just when I was ready, AT&T stopped carrying it totally.

Also, this was the last phone by BlackBerry Ltd. So once TCL took over mobile device development, BlackBerry wanted that Priv off its neck.
    02-13-19 04:59 PM
    I'd go the keyone or key2 route, I wish! But They're kinda expensive for me right now
    02-25-19 01:57 PM
    This industry wants consumers to...well, consume.

I was suggesting going for a KEY device (which you already have done) since it's the fastest and easiest way to get a modern keyboard smartphone that actually has reliable battery life and performance.
    This is something the Priv just cannot achieve.
    I owned 5 different Priv's, and even installed brand new OEM batteries on 2 of them, and with almost all battery saving tips applied (battery saving mode always on, Wifi and Bluetooth scanning off, Google Apps disabled etc...) and it was still a challenge to get 5 hours of screen on time and/or a long busy day.
    I too loved the bigger AMOLED display, but I'd rather have an average 3:2 LCD on a reliable device that can navigate Google Maps without being dog slow and overheating.
    I'm about to replace this privs bat.....but before I do, I'm keeping an eye on the battery monitor...

So far...10 hours (after unplugging at 3am an it is now 1pm) batt is at 53%. Not complaining. Yes I've been using it on and off. It's also not my main device that I use... but yea. I did the tweak or two mentioned for developers settings. Haven't noticed much change in pictures
    Sigewif likes this.
    02-25-19 02:06 PM
    10 H SOT ?
    how ? which model of battery?
    more info plz
    🙄
    02-27-19 05:16 AM
    Pretty sure it isn't SOT.

10 H SOT ?
    how ? which model of battery?
    more info plz
    🙄
    02-27-19 08:18 AM

Atb
    The point is, BlackBerry phones feature security. They aren't intended as rootable tinker toys.
    By the way, my 3 Yr 3 Mo. old Priv still gets a pretty decent battery life. With light to moderate use it easily lasts through the day.
    03-06-19 02:45 PM
    I'd go the keyone or key2 route, I wish! But They're kinda expensive for me right now
    The KEYone has come way down in price. If you save up an extra few dollars a week you will soon be able to afford it or the KEY2 LE.
    03-06-19 02:49 PM
    no thankss. it's screen isn't to my liking
    03-06-19 07:21 PM
    I followed the tutorial and it didn't work. It stopped at 73%. No root is possible.
    12-29-19 01:06 PM