I'm missing some apps and will probably switch from BB10 to Android. I'd like to stick with blackberry and wonder how much of the bb10 Features can still be found on the Priv. I've searched the Internet but I still don't fully understand the Hub Integration etc. Also: is there a way to control the Device through gestures? If you had to compare the Priv Keyboard to the Blackberry 10 Keyboard, to how many percent will it feel different? What would feel different?
    05-17-16 02:00 PM
    Asked my First question in the Forums and actually managed to forget to log in. Nice Job, me.
    Stelios Gnd likes this.
    05-17-16 02:04 PM
    I think the keyboard (physical and virtual) experience is comparable.

The OS is different. No use trying to make it something it's not. Android has its advantages too. Just embrace it. There certainly is some BlackBerry flavour though. I think they did a good job with the launcher - not too heavy handed. There are other launchers out there with more swipe-type gestures, but give the BlackBerry launcher a fair shake first. It's nice to have the splats, and I think the HUB is very good.
    Jacques Ha and Stelios Gnd like this.
    05-17-16 02:08 PM
    Not the same experience at all. We have one in the office and I have tested it. Not the same as BB10. Not even the HUB is the same.
    05-17-16 02:29 PM
    Get ready for a different experience. Swipe and peek from any app was a huge differentiator for BB10 and you won't find that on Android. There are similar swipish shortcuts but the actual peeking aspect is not there. One of the use cases that I used to show off to BB trashers which really impressed them was this:

Go to YouTube and watch a video, toaster notification pops down telling me I have an email, swipe up and slightly peek to the right to see what's going on in the Hub but never committing fully yo going to the Hub... Just a quick pick! Go back to YouTube which never skipped a beat and was never interrupted.

It's such a small and minor example but you'd be surprised how many people are impressed by that!

That said, there are some things that make it feel like you are still using a BB. The virtual keyboard is still awesome and the implementation of the Hub for Android is a respectable, if not pared down, variation. I'm hopeful that over time it will continue to improve just like it did for BB10. It still amazes how much The Hub has improved in such a short period of time. It was pretty rough when it first launched with BB10 in 2013!
    Stelios Gnd likes this.
    05-18-16 10:57 PM
    Around 2%.

Posted via CB10
    05-18-16 11:37 PM
    It's got a watered down hub but it's not too bad, you will get use to it. It is nowhere near as fluid as BB10 but unfortunately we have to move on because BB10 is dying, there is no RFA, no Blend, no way to do complete backups to your computer, no file manager, no native music player or photo viewer. The virtual keyboard is very close to my Z30 but I find the physical keyboard inferior to the Classic or Passport. You can imitate some of the BB10 gestures but you need to download apps for that although I found that the apps didn't really work that well. Overall, it won't feel much like BB10 because it's Android but like anything, you'll probably get use to it if you don't have any other choices.

There really isn't any reason to buy the Priv If you don't have to have a physical keyboard as there are far better Android phones out there for less money. The only advantage other than the PKB is the timely security updates (so far) but you can get that on the much faster and far better built Nexus 6P for less money.

Some Priv user's (myself included) are having some serious lag issues since the MM update to the point my 2 year old Nexus 6 is running circles around my Priv and it will always get the latest O/S where there is no guarantee the Priv will even get Android N. It's sad BB10 didn't have the developer's support (apps) or the market acceptance because imo, BB10 is far superior to any other mobile O/S. I will continue to use my PP SE as my main device until it doesn't work anymore.
    Last edited by buwee; 05-19-16 at 01:55 AM.
    05-19-16 01:45 AM
    The Priv's Android vs BB10 OS is not at all the same experience... The Priv's Android, be it Lollipop or Marshmallow, is just a typical Android experience and nowhere near BB10. (Take that last comment as you may, some feel positive about this, others not so much, either way the fact remains the Priv is 100% Android.) The only BlackBerry feel I get from the Priv is when I gaze lovingly at the BlackBerry logo at the front of my device/tramp stamped on the back AND when I extend the PKB (which on Android is one of the BEST typing experiences if not THEE best available, but coming from a BlackBerry is less than impressive and leaves a taste of 'meh' on the PKB connoisseur's palette...) The PKB is the most 'BlackBerry-esque' feel the Priv has to offer... The rest - i.e. the Hub, Calendar, all the native apps one typically enjoys, gestures, fluid integration, etc- not at all the 'same experience' as when used on BB10... The Priv, especially with the price drops recently, is a fairly decent Android, but if you are seeking a BB10 experience you won't get your fix here... However if you are over BB10 or simply ready to move on without forfeiting a PKB, then the Priv will satisfy you... All depends on what you want and what you value...

Posted via CB10
    FF22 likes this.
    05-19-16 06:18 PM
    It doesn't lol

Posted via CB10
    05-19-16 09:04 PM
    So, changing questions: the Priv isn't really what you would call a Blackberry experience, if I understand correctly. If i had to decide between the recently "leaked" Blackberry Hamburg and any other Android Device or if you will even an IPhone, I'm Not all that biased, which decision would you advise me to make?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    05-22-16 05:35 AM
    BlackBerry only with pkb.
    Glass slab with android- meh, others are far far better.
    Dont know why BlackBerry is making a vkb mid range android device maybe to sell 100k over a year
    And as far as I know BlackBerry they will price it heavy
    Mark my word: this is going to be a big big fail!!

Posted via Q10Bold
    05-22-16 05:59 AM
    I'm missing some apps and will probably switch from BB10 to Android. I'd like to stick with blackberry and wonder how much of the bb10 Features can still be found on the Priv. I've searched the Internet but I still don't fully understand the Hub Integration etc. Also: is there a way to control the Device through gestures? If you had to compare the Priv Keyboard to the Blackberry 10 Keyboard, to how many percent will it feel different? What would feel different?
    Let's start by saying that the Classic is the best BB10 device for me and I love my PKB.

Some observations about my Priv. Hub is different but I like the swipe to delete and snooze feature on the Priv's Hub. U can also look at the messages unread and manage your inboxes that way. So the Android Hub is different but still very useful.

In terms of lags and any heat issues, I use Cool Master and Clean Master apps. Never had problems and phone runs smoothly and battery life is great.

I love having the PKB for lengthy typing. I love having it as a trackpad and for all of the shortcuts especially for speed dialing. The VKB is good for fast replies and has been better since the MM update.

The phone has a BlackBerry feel to it. I have the ShopBlackberry model and it has less clutter and bloatware. We have an LG and Samsung in my home and the Priv is definitely a more straightforward and no nonsense device.

I find the Google Calendar to be better than the calendar that was pre installed and am learning to adjust to an Android

Firefox browser will allow you to play YouTube videos in the background.

Overall, very happy with this lovely phone .

Posted via my Priv
    FF22 and Jacques Ha like this.
    05-22-16 08:55 AM
    For myself, Android is more fully capable than BB10 but if you need a great PKB experience stick with BB10.

Posted via CB10
    05-22-16 09:38 AM
    Hub, keyboard is almost similar experience. Email capabilities is almost same and equally powerful. Only font size is irritating. Android MM fonts are very fine. I miss bbos bold fonts. Hope in next update, blackberry will listen us.
    05-22-16 10:14 AM