I am debating selling my Priv on EBay but not sure if there is any value in holding on to the phone just as a collection. What do you guys think?

Would the price of the Priv ever increase? Like the last Nokia Symbian Pureview 808 did?
    08-10-20 06:18 PM
    I am debating selling my Priv on EBay but not sure if there is any value in holding on to the phone just as a collection. What do you guys think?

Would the price of the Priv ever increase? Like the last Nokia Symbian Pureview 808 did?
    I keep all of my devices.

Besides, what are you going to get for a 5 year old phone? $25?
    Exedorable likes this.
    08-10-20 06:49 PM
    I'm definitely keeping mine. will get a battery replacement and use it at home as a second device. I don't think you'll get much $$ for an old device with no updates
    08-10-20 10:15 PM
    As above, I keep mine. When it comes to the PRIV it still works with banking apps and other central apps and in my country probably will another 1-2 years. In my opinion it also holds BlackBerry's best mobile camera. I use it now and then.
    Rico4you and Exedorable like this.
    08-10-20 10:30 PM
    That is totally up to you. I sold mine off for $85, but I debated holding onto it. I just couldn't justify it for myself.
    08-11-20 04:12 AM

Sell it.....

As a phone it's value declines with each security patch it doesn't get.

As a collectible.... it's might one day command a higher price than today. But I bet 1st you'd have to see all the NIB PRIV's disappear from the market and then folks to hoard all the used PRIVs. My guess is there are tens of thousands of folk's thinking that one day their BlackBerry will be worth something as a collectible.

Thing is it's usually the stuff that no one thinks about collecting that becomes valuable.
    08-11-20 07:19 AM

Is this exaggeration to prove a point or do you firmly believe $25 is a reasonable ceiling for a used Priv? They still fetch ~$100 or so on Ebay. So, not collector item levels, but certainly not $25.
    08-12-20 07:10 AM
    Is this exaggeration to prove a point or do you firmly believe $25 is a reasonable ceiling for a used Priv? They still fetch ~$100 or so on Ebay. So, not collector item levels, but certainly not $25.
    I've seen two sell for $50 here....

Hard to say what they are selling for on Ebay.... asking price doesn't always equal selling price.
    08-12-20 07:35 AM

Hard to say what they are selling for on Ebay.... asking price doesn't always equal selling price.
    It's not hard to see when there are active bids.
    08-12-20 07:58 AM

It's not hard to see when there are active bids.
    I was the buyer of a $50 PRIV here that included BlackBerry OEM folding case. Prices will head towards $25 before they’ll see $100 due to so many in the wild and it’s compared with Android hardware
    08-12-20 08:52 AM
    I was the buyer of a $50 PRIV here that included BlackBerry OEM folding case. Prices will head towards $25 before they’ll see $100 due to so many in the wild and it’s compared with Android hardware
    OK, well congratulations on your deal, and that's what it is. $50 is still more than $25, and I imagine it'll take time for prices to head towards $25. I take issue with the earlier claim that someone would be lucky to get $25 for a PRIV.
    08-12-20 08:58 AM
    $25 or $100.... neither is significant compared the the original lauch price.

Who knows... if BlackBerry shutdown BB10 infrastructure, maybe all those Passport users will need a new phone to rally around. And PRIV prices might get as high as $150 - $200 a devices.

If you want to own a BlackBerry collection for your own enjoyment... that's fine. But holding onto electronic devices in the hopes that one day they'll really be collectible. Maybe if it's NIB.... and you have twenty-five years to wait.
    08-12-20 09:03 AM
    Anyways...
    Attached Thumbnails How many of you are holding on to your Priv just for as a collection?-privs.png  
    08-12-20 09:05 AM
    $25 or $100.... neither is significant compared the the original lauch price.

Who knows... if BlackBerry shutdown BB10 infrastructure, maybe all those Passport users will need a new phone to rally around. And PRIV prices might get as high as $150 - $200 a devices.

If you want to own a BlackBerry collection for your own enjoyment... that's fine. But holding onto electronic devices in the hopes that one day they'll really be collectible. Maybe if it's NIB.... and you have twenty-five years to wait.
    You're adding a bunch of ancillary stuff. They're fine points, but the only point I'm trying to make is that $25 for a Priv is still a lowball these days.
    mikael11 likes this.
    08-12-20 09:07 AM
    OK, well congratulations on your deal, and that's what it is. $50 is still more than $25, and I imagine it'll take time for prices to head towards $25. I take issue with the earlier claim that someone would be lucky to get $25 for a PRIV.
    But my point was that it’s quickly headed there. I paid $50 with a case that sells for $15-25 alone when you can find on eBay or Amazon which neither has any listings now.

So I paid $25-35 for the PRIV with limited use left because it’s running old Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow forever
    08-12-20 09:12 AM
    But my point was that it’s quickly headed there. I paid $50 with a case that sells for $15-25 alone when you can find on eBay or Amazon which neither has any listings now.

So I paid $25-35 for the PRIV with limited use left because it’s running old Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow forever
    And that's great that you made that point. And it was clear. But the earlier point from conite was that $25 would be a reasonable amount to expect for a Priv. Change "Priv" to "PlayBook" and I agree. Maybe in a couple of years, I'd agree about the Priv too, but the earlier point is not at all rooted in present reality and it just seemed like a silly exaggeration. Interesting that the response from others is to swarm with other tangential arguments.
    08-12-20 09:17 AM
    Anyways...
    We’re also talking USD here...

Either way, they’re not as collectible as Beanie creatures from TY or NASCAR 1/24 die-cast racers. I’ve bought and sold all in the last 20+ years.

I’d suggest firearms, ammunition (short-term), unique era specific military surplus and original NIB toys right now.
    08-12-20 09:20 AM
    ie, 33.14 CAD
    08-12-20 09:23 AM
    And that's great that you made that point. And it was clear. But the earlier point from conite was that $25 would be a reasonable amount to expect for a Priv. Change "Priv" to "PlayBook" and I agree. Maybe in a couple of years, I'd agree about the Priv too, but the earlier point is not at all rooted in present reality and it just seemed like a silly exaggeration. Interesting that the response from others is to swarm with other tangential arguments.
    Remember, at end of the day, my real job is licensed broker/advisor.

Something is worth only what it’s actually transacting at. BlackBerry is $4.86 and General Electric $6.72 at this moment.

I don’t think you’ll ever see PRIV trading at those prices you’ve listed. If they did, I suspect person would return upon trying out hardware.
    08-12-20 09:29 AM

Gee, I didn't think this would turn into an inquisition. LOL

I will freely admit I didn't put a whole lot of effort into coming up with the number. But even if you doubled it, my point would remain the same.
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    08-12-20 09:34 AM
    Gee, I didn't think this would turn into an inquisition. LOL

I will freely admit I didn't put a whole lot of effort into coming up with the number. But even if you doubled it, my point would remain the same.
    You're a thoughtful numbers guy, so just keeping you honest and letting you know we're paying attention.
    08-12-20 09:48 AM

Either way, they’re not as collectible as Beanie creatures from TY or NASCAR 1/24 die-cast racers. I’ve bought and sold all in the last 20+ years.

I’d suggest firearms, ammunition (short-term), unique era specific military surplus and original NIB toys right now.
    First job was working at a KMart back in the early 80's - Cabbage Patch Dolls were the craze and I was dating my High School sweetheart, so I bought her a couple. They got left at her Mom's when we got married.... and thus surrived out kids. Later they were found... and those $25 dolls still NIB now over 35 years old, are only worth $50 each. Not much of an investment, but that's what happens with thing made to be collectibles.

Now if I still had my Commodore Vic 20 or Intellivision NIB.....
    08-12-20 09:53 AM
    Keep it. I'm doing same
    08-12-20 04:11 PM
    While I won't give up on my PP SE, I did buy a NOS Priv recently on ebay. I had expressed my interest in the Priv that eventually Chuck bought here, but I wasn't lucky. Anyway, I paid around 150 euros for this new old stock Priv, and according to what most of you say, this is a lot of money for this device today. However, I am not convinced this is the case really....just check not only ebay, but amazon as well and you will see a different story. So, why did I buy this phone in 2020? Well, I have always liked it a lot more than the Key series phones, it is the last real Blackberry phone and even at 150 euros is way cheaper than any Key2 device currently. At the same time, both phones are on an outdated Android OS, so no big deal if it's 6 or 8; for me at least. What I am trying to say is that while prices can be very relevant, there's no way one can actually find and buy a decent Priv for 25 or 50 dollars. The exception here just validates my line of thinking.
    09-13-20 09:27 AM
    While I won't give up on my PP SE, I did buy a NOS Priv recently on ebay. I had expressed my interest in the Priv that eventually Chuck bought here, but I wasn't lucky. Anyway, I paid around 150 euros for this new old stock Priv, and according to what most of you say, this is a lot of money for this device today. However, I am not convinced this is the case really....just check not only ebay, but amazon as well and you will see a different story. So, why did I buy this phone in 2020? Well, I have always liked it a lot more than the Key series phones, it is the last real Blackberry phone and even at 150 euros is way cheaper than any Key2 device currently. At the same time, both phones are on an outdated Android OS, so no big deal if it's 6 or 8; for me at least. What I am trying to say is that while prices can be very relevant, there's no way one can actually find and buy a decent Priv for 25 or 50 dollars. The exception here just validates my line of thinking.
    Don’t be a hater ;-D

If you’re enjoying the phone it’s all that matters....
    09-13-20 10:17 AM
60 123