75,000-100,000. Not a chance it's more than that at the high price, limited carrier availability and poor marketing.
    VERY poor marketing. I mean damn. It almost like they don't want to be in the handset business anymore. To be honest I don't feel blackberry is as confident as the would appear. I mean I was just think of all the cool ways they could have marketed this phone especially through TV ads. I don't know. Don't see the phone doing too well with one carrier on board and next to no marketing.

Posted via CB10
    11-04-15 01:21 PM
    Instead of spending money on such advertising, I think BlackBerry should use that budget to give salespeople more incentives for each device sold to promote the phone.

VERY poor marketing. I mean damn. It almost like they don't want to be in the handset business anymore. To be honest I don't feel blackberry is as confident as the would appear. I mean I was just think of all the cool ways they could have marketed this phone especially through TV ads. I don't know. Don't see the phone doing too well with one carrier on board and next to no marketing.

Posted via CB10

To BB or not to BBBBBB...?
    11-04-15 01:30 PM
    I can only speak for one. Mine.

Posted via CB10
    11-04-15 01:39 PM

Posted via CB10
    One carrier is all they need!

Remember that the objective is "just" 5M units per year. We are not talking about 10 M in a weekend.

So I am not worried about the one carrier... it's much better than 0 carrier at launch!

As for marketing, nothing wrong with their marketing. They are taking a different approach that is better suited to a small market niche player, launch the product and support it sales with marketing.

It would be counterproductive for BlackBerry to do a iPhone launch style event... cause it won't help them sell more phones.

Posted via CB10
    11-04-15 02:48 PM
    So close to black Friday, I wouldn't expect a sell out.

Posted via CB10
    11-04-15 04:17 PM
    I spoke with a Rogers corporate rep today. They are expecting plenty of extra stock on friday.

Not sure if that means exactly

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    11-04-15 04:52 PM
    I don't think that most want it to fail, just that it will. There are others who don't care as BlackBerry Android is lipstick on a pig.
    So you do not think that the PRIV would out sell the Passport or Classic?
    What is you definition of a failure. Not a comment, just a question.

Posted via CB10
    11-04-15 07:11 PM
    The same amount as there are buyers buying it.
    11-04-15 07:15 PM
    Its not wise to be loyal to someone/something that is not in return. Makes you a slave

I do hope it fails. I don't see Blackberry bringing back BB10 either way. The only real hope now is they get dismantled and some of the patents become available to others. Honestly BB does not do hardware better than the competition. They simply hold patents that stop others from creating a decent physical keyboard. Software is all they had and now they are giving it up.
    Nice quote, that one on top. I'll borrow it.

On the rest of your quote, BlackBerry can't support the BB10 customers with the absence of income. Customers are less than 0.3 % vs more than 30% on the sales funnel. JC himself said pride can't make BlackBerry profitable. He has no choice.

love your curVes and all your edges all your peRfEct imPerfections
    11-04-15 08:53 PM
    Low standards reign in this forum and at Blackberry if anyone thinks that selling 5 million phones a year is a success. lol
    11-04-15 09:00 PM
    I don't think BlackBerry will sell many on opening weekend because the reviews and advertising will just have started for the general public, i.e. awareness will just have started. It's not going to be like with other flagships where the devices are anticipated in advance.
    11-04-15 09:24 PM
    25K maybe. My perception:

a) Blackberry folks want Blackberry OS, not Android - Strike 1
    b) Android folks might be used to cheaper phones then $700 - Strike 2
    c) AT&T only just cut out every other player, limiting distribution - Strike 3

I honestly have no clue what in the world BB is doing these days.
    And by the time the other carriers get the Priv, flagship Android devices will be expected to have 820 processors.

Posted via CB10
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    11-04-15 09:42 PM

Posted via CB10
    I don't think there's a competition between the Priv and the previous John Chen releases. The previous phones have received almost no advertising and sales support. Chen articulated to carriers that they were targeted at "enterprise" and thus not the bulk of those carriers customers. Priv has been pushed heavily by contrast.

Priv isn't really a BlackBerry device, it doesn't help build marketshare in BlackBerry's mobile platform or do the other things that previous BlackBerry device sales did. I'd say the Priv is a disaster if it doesn't sell at least 20 million units. I suspect that Sony will move 15-18 million units with one carrier that refuses to sell their devices for months after release. All in all, if the goal is the build BlackBerry's platform by selling at least five million BB10 phones, I get it. But, this needs to sell much more as margins on future Android devices will be razor thin, indeed.

Posted via CB10
    11-04-15 09:50 PM
    Question will be of however many are sold, how many will be returned or never used.
    11-04-15 09:58 PM
    I don't think there's a competition between the Priv and the previous John Chen releases. The previous phones have received almost no advertising and sales support. Chen articulated to carriers that they were targeted at "enterprise" and thus not the bulk of those carriers customers. Priv has been pushed heavily by contrast.

Priv isn't really a BlackBerry device, it doesn't help build marketshare in BlackBerry's mobile platform or do the other things that previous BlackBerry device sales did. I'd say the Priv is a disaster if it doesn't sell at least 20 million units. I suspect that Sony will move 15-18 million units with one carrier that refuses to sell their devices for months after release. All in all, if the goal is the build BlackBerry's platform by selling at least five million BB10 phones, I get it. But, this needs to sell much more as margins on future Android devices will be razor thin, indeed.

Posted via CB10
    I think the goal has been reduced to 5 million units for at some time in the future because BlackBerry will be free of expensive OS upgrades and special chips and all that. I think Chen is looking for at least break even. If the PRIV sells at about 1 mill per quarter that would be a success in my thinking.

If they can manage that then they should flesh out the line up some what.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 11-05-15 at 09:38 AM.
    11-05-15 01:22 AM
    Question should be "how many will they deliver ?" IMHO (that's a real concern, not a joke).
    So, to OP : "More than they have in the stock"
    cgk likes this.
    11-05-15 04:05 AM
    I don't think that most want it to fail, just that it will. There are others who don't care as BlackBerry Android is lipstick on a pig.
    That's a typical answer ... of a BBOS/BB10 user (which I am, it's by no means a criticism).
    From what I read over the web, especially in the Android space, there's a LOT of interest raised by this very first "non proprietary OS" device.
    The way they raised the security bar is a key point (re: non rootable device) as we will see the nerds V.S the Joes in action.
    We have to remind the goal : send 5 mil. devices in a year. Not oversell Galaxy's or IP's in a week.

P.S: last part of your comment is weird; which of the device or the OS is the lipstick ?
    11-05-15 04:16 AM
    That's a typical answer ... of a BBOS/BB10 user (which I am, it's by no means a criticism).
    From what I read over the web, especially in the Android space, there's a LOT of interest raised by this very first "non proprietary OS" device.
    The way they raised the security bar is a key point (re: non rootable device) as we will see the nerds V.S the Joes in action.
    We have to remind the goal : send 5 mil. devices in a year. Not oversell Galaxy's or IP's in a week.

P.S: last part of your comment is weird; which of the device or the OS is the lipstick ?
    Trying to make a pig pretty by putting lipstick on it is a waste of time. Think the poster believes that consumers just aren't going to care that BlackBerry made a Android device.

Most of the excitement I saw for the PRIV.... died when the price came out. Just reading the comments on AndroidCentral from the Louks story.... makes it pretty clear what the Android guys think. Lot's of BlackBerry folks there trying to defend the PRIV... Price, lock boot-rom, specs. But if we are in defense, we have already lost.

It really comes down to what does BlackBerry do from tomorrow on....
    11-05-15 09:35 AM

Posted via CB10
    No. I do not. BlackBerry has damaged the brand. People will not buy a BlackBerry just because it runs Android. They can get Android phones cheaper. PKBs are not going to make this a big seller either. BlackBerry is a niche product now and they are removing that by killing BB10.

My definition of a failure = BlackBerry Management of the phones.
    11-05-15 10:52 AM
    Regardless of the number of sales, no one will know, expect BlackBerry, and they'l announce that sales have exceed expectations. Here's the problem. When your expectations are zero, it's easy to exceed them. there hasn't been a formal launch, zero advertising, and who's going to buy this phone? Only BlackBerry fanboys will buy this phone. Everyone else already has another brand of android, and why would they switch? Consumers already made it loud and clear they don't care about security.

My guesstimate is <50,000 if even that. The reason, beside this website who even knows this device exists?
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    11-05-15 10:56 AM

Android is the pig and BlackBerry is trying to put lipstick on it (software and security) to make it look good for enterprise. This phone is a Jekyll and Hyde. It isn't designed for enterprise because of the lack of security in Android and it isn't designed for consumers as it has a high price and some security that they don't care about. It's a phone designed to fail.
    11-05-15 10:57 AM
    Android is the pig and BlackBerry is trying to put lipstick on it (software and security) to make it look good for enterprise. This phone is a Jekyll and Hyde. It isn't designed for enterprise because of the lack of security in Android and it isn't designed for consumers as it has a high price and some security that they don't care about. It's a phone designed to fail.
    Let's be clear : I'm a diehard BB10.
    That being said, I'd just won't be as certain as you seem to be.
    It's all about the scales and the addressable markets; Android market (as a whole) is in the billion users.

What can I see from an outer perspective : uniformity.
    So much that those I called geeks (no offense) love rooting their devices to get something different. Those I called Joes (no offense either) are zillion miles away from that. Some of them spend $100 like you buy a 6 pack and change their device once, maybe twice a year. The "triple novelty" (first foreign OS, new privacy features, keyboard) offered by BlackBerry plus the vanilla experience might be enough to seduce some of them. At least to give it a try and stand out from the crowd.

For the enterprises, I do believe the work done with BES and Android integration is at least on par with the competition (probably better, but let's keep on par as a plausible statement).

What's the goal ? 5 million devices.
    What's the market share ? half a point; 0.5% ...
    Basically where BlackBerry "performance" sits right now (a bit higher), within the smallest part of the cake ( i.e : non apple, non android devices).
    Remove the apps problem.

Designed to fail ?
    I don't think so.

Bottom line : shall I be anxious, it would not be for the first Android device. This is the observation round. Let's see what happen.
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 11-05-15 at 11:44 AM.
    11-05-15 11:27 AM
    Ten thousands...(* Dr. Evil's style *)

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2639
    11-05-15 11:31 AM
    Just over 8000 (9000) for the dub
    11-05-15 11:32 AM
    they sold 200k passports during opening weekend...I'm guessing they'll be around the 600k....if they include the carrier sales. Its just a guess though, I hope its more, Im itching for another new device announcement!
    Take that number with a grain of salt. They never elaborated on that figure and if you do the math of how many bb10s in total were sold this year that would mean 25% of all Blackberrys sold were passports on that weekend . I say the priv sells 15-20k this weekend. But it will depend on how many units were actually produced.

Posted via CB10
    theboogeyman likes this.
    11-05-15 11:34 AM
215 ... 34567 ...