I just bought one because I'm assuming it'll be good for at least the next 2-3 years.
    Out of the box, the performance should be similar to the best mid-range phones you can buy nowadays.
    It's not though. It degrades over time.
    03-10-17 08:57 PM
    So long as it doesn't get Nougat, it's future proof.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-10-17 10:57 PM
    So long as it doesn't get Nougat, it's future proof.
    Judging by John's responses, it does look like existing devices aren't getting Nougat. Drones on about how he's busy with the Aurora and KEYone and conveniently ignores all the questions from everyone.
    03-11-17 03:40 PM
    Judging by John's responses, it does look like existing devices aren't getting Nougat. Drones on about how he's busy with the Aurora and KEYone and conveniently ignores all the questions from everyone.
    I can't imagine the existing not getting Nougat, after the KEYone hits the streets. I pray I'm not wrong.
    FF22 likes this.
    03-11-17 06:40 PM
    I can't imagine the existing not getting Nougat, after the KEYone hits the streets. I pray I'm not wrong.
    Agreed,

I think if BlackBerry can release Android Nougat for a budget range device like the Aurora then surely last year's flagship DTEK60 and others will get it. 425 vs 820.

100% confident we will get it. Hopefully in April or earlier.

Posted Via BlackBerry PRIV
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    03-11-17 10:47 PM
    I think the Priv is fully capable of running nougat. Now when will it happens is anyone's guess 😵
    FF22 likes this.
    03-12-17 03:34 AM
    Would love a Priv, just wondering how long the update will last as compared to Dtek 50 or 60?
    I don't know I've been using mine a year and it's going just fine. I don't see it needing to be replaced any time soon
    03-12-17 10:25 AM
    Agree we will see Nougat after K1 launch.

Posted via CB10
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    03-14-17 11:29 AM
    Agree we will see Nougat after K1 launch.

Posted via CB10
    It seems like a pretty safe assumption. There are good reasons for this, as well. Just as there are good reasons for them to release it to the other devices not long after.

They aren't going to stop with their security updates and it makes more sense to keep up with one version of the OS rather than two.

I can understand why people WANT it now but it's pretty easy to also see why BlackBerry wants as much time with it as possible. They want things to be running as glitch-free as possible on the KEYone since it's arguably their biggest release since the Z10, and if they released Nougat to the other devices now, they will have to start dividing their resources to addressing issues with those updates immediately - resources that can instead keep tweaking the software, leading up to KEYone.
    Rico4you, FF22, BigBadWulf and 1 others like this.
    03-14-17 11:36 AM
    It is a little concerning that BB hasn't put it out for beta testing yet.
    But only a little.
    Maybe we're all going to become beta testers at the same time.
    03-14-17 03:25 PM
    It is a little concerning that BB hasn't put it out for beta testing yet.
    But only a little.
    Maybe we're all going to become beta testers at the same time.
    Or another way to look at it is that pre-release unit users of the KEYone, as well as early adopters of it and the Aurora ARE the beta testers.
    03-14-17 03:51 PM
    The OS per se shouldn't need much testing, but with a PKB, it should be.
    And with both a PKB and a VKB, theres even more to go wrong. I think it needs beta testing on the Priv. And it's going to get it either with a small volunteer group, or all of us guinea pigs at the same time.
    03-14-17 08:05 PM
    It seems like a pretty safe assumption. There are good reasons for this, as well. Just as there are good reasons for them to release it to the other devices not long after.

They aren't going to stop with their security updates and it makes more sense to keep up with one version of the OS rather than two.

I can understand why people WANT it now but it's pretty easy to also see why BlackBerry wants as much time with it as possible. They want things to be running as glitch-free as possible on the KEYone since it's arguably their biggest release since the Z10, and if they released Nougat to the other devices now, they will have to start dividing their resources to addressing issues with those updates immediately - resources that can instead keep tweaking the software, leading up to KEYone.
    Great if that is their reasoning then they would be better off communicating it then staying absolutely dead silent.
    Wezard likes this.
    03-14-17 09:18 PM
    Great if that is their reasoning then they would be better off communicating it then staying absolutely dead silent.
    But software is BlackBerry, and their communication is convoluted and strange at the best of times! Not trolling, but just remembering past behavior.
    03-14-17 09:29 PM
    But software is BlackBerry, and their communication is convoluted and strange at the best of times! Not trolling, but just remembering past behavior.
    I agree and that past behaviour is what got them to where they are now so you would think they would change.
    03-14-17 10:04 PM
    Through their rise to the top, and their drop to the basement, BlackBerry has never been above pathetic at communication. I don't see how anyone could point to either end of their spectrum, and conclude the quality of their communication was what got them there.

I also doubt many buy phones based on potential. They buy because it has what they want, when they purchased it.
    bibbula likes this.
    03-14-17 10:52 PM
    Also seems they are having a Spring sale on the PRIV at ShopBlackBerry. Not a bad price at all. Although have one so will wait for KEYone.

Posted via CB10
    03-15-17 04:06 AM
    Awwh shyt. I think i need to get another one before its too late. I don't wanna pay insane prices when the stock is depleted.
    03-15-17 06:56 AM
    The thing is, no matter if the Priv gets N or not, the device will run fine and be supported for years, or until they bring out the Priv 2.

As far as I can tell, not many software companies are good about telling people what their next move is. And I do believe BBW is right, people purchase what they want when they want it, not for what it might be three years down the road.

However to the contrary, BlackBerry did let us know that though the Priv was released with Lollipop, that it would get Marshmallow "shortly" after release. That is one reason I got it instead of the OnePlus.
    BigBadWulf and bluesqueen23 like this.
    03-15-17 07:29 AM
    convoluted and strange
    = nonexistent and inaccurate
    03-15-17 09:35 AM
    Yes, because we totally got Nougat already since September 2016...
    Check this out...
    Google Downgrading Nexus 6 To Android 7.0
    https://news.google.com/news/amp?cau...8-bb9b0320511b
    If that's what Nougat looks like on PRIV, I think I'll pass. Lol.
    03-15-17 12:43 PM
    Check this out...
    Google Downgrading Nexus 6 To Android 7.0
    https://news.google.com/news/amp?cau...8-bb9b0320511b
    If that's what Nougat looks like on PRIV, I think I'll pass. Lol.
    So? Samsung had rollout issues, so did HTC and Sony. Even BlackBerry had issues rolling out Marshmallow, some devices couldn't get past the robot.

Doesn't mean you shouldn't do it.

I don't get this attitude CrackBerry has, still thinks BlackBerry is a market leader, and keeps patting their back (except when asking for BB10 devices). They're doing a decent job turning around, but they can and need to do better, competitors are catching up. Otherwise it's going to be 2007 all over again, but this time they might not get a life line.

Samsung is switching to a monthly security update schedule for US-unlocked Galaxy phones
    BQ Deutschland releases Android 7.1.1 OTA for the Aquaris X5 Plus (while most of us still haven't received 7.0)
    03-15-17 05:13 PM
    So? Samsung had rollout issues, so did HTC and Sony. Even BlackBerry had issues rolling out Marshmallow, some devices couldn't get past the robot.

Doesn't mean you shouldn't do it.

I don't get this attitude CrackBerry has, still thinks BlackBerry is a market leader, and keeps patting their back (except when asking for BB10 devices). They're doing a decent job turning around, but they can and need to do better, competitors are catching up. Otherwise it's going to be 2007 all over again, but this time they might not get a life line.

Samsung is switching to a monthly security update schedule for US-unlocked Galaxy phones
    BQ Deutschland releases Android 7.1.1 OTA for the Aquaris X5 Plus (while most of us still haven't received 7.0)
    Were you not the one singing the praises of the Nexus line and their solid commitment to a guaranteed number of OS updates? This is not fanboyism whatsoever. Simply pointing out the obvious...believing updating for the sake of updating is going to bring a definite improvement is a fallacy.
    03-15-17 05:49 PM
    It will also depend on how well it responds to Android 7. Because with 6. is a bit laggy, it needs some optimization.

I've used other devices with same RAm and 808, and perform much better
    03-16-17 07:27 AM
    It will also depend on how well it responds to Android 7. Because with 6. is a bit laggy, it needs some optimization.

I've used other devices with same RAm and 808, and perform much better
    Zero lag for me. Guess it depends on many other factors including the Apps you are using.
    03-16-17 08:37 AM
74 123