02-02-16 09:18 PM
    good read! Thanks!
    02-02-16 09:37 PM
    fair and balanced review, but it confirms everyone's thoughts about the high price and the need for it to drop with the imminent release of new flagship devices
    02-02-16 09:55 PM
    fair and balanced review, but it confirms everyone's thoughts about the high price and the need for it to drop with the imminent release of new flagship devices
    I'm waiting for a price drop. $100-150 and I'm in.

Posted via  BlackBerry Z30
    Lacker20 likes this.
    02-02-16 10:15 PM
    Most of his complaints now seem like software issues that could be fixed. But after waiting 3 years for BlackBerry to fix the contacts app or add things to the OS I'm skeptical.

The main thing he said at the start about the physical keyboard being way too small is why I won't get a Priv. But I'd sure come back for a look at Priv 2 if they make the keyboard resemble the 9900.

I honestly think BlackBerry could use fresh blood. A new CEO that has a passion for technology and is a phone geek. Who has a vision. Someone who'd learn from the past and fix things.

Chen is stubborn and won't listen to anything. I don't see him being able to listen to the constructive criticism of the Priv and make changes that it would take to make a decent keyboard.

Don't see him changing the pricing strategy to get the phone in more hands. Don't see him advertising.

Need a new CEO. Right now.

Z30STA100-5 / 10.3.2.2813 / T-Mobile
    FF22 likes this.
    02-02-16 10:35 PM
    Most of his complaints now seem like software issues that could be fixed. But after waiting 3 years for BlackBerry to fix the contacts app or add things to the OS I'm skeptical.

The main thing he said at the start about the physical keyboard being way too small is why I won't get a Priv. But I'd sure come back for a look at Priv 2 if they make the keyboard resemble the 9900.

I honestly think BlackBerry could use fresh blood. A new CEO that has a passion for technology and is a phone geek. Who has a vision. Someone who'd learn from the past and fix things.

Chen is stubborn and won't listen to anything. I don't see him being able to listen to the constructive criticism of the Priv and make changes that it would take to make a decent keyboard.

Don't see him changing the pricing strategy to get the phone in more hands. Don't see him advertising.

BB needs a CEO with a big mouth and who knows how to sell, some like the late Steve Jobs. Chen is doing a good job in the software business with all the acquisitions, but the hardware portion needs a flamboyant person who promotes it with a passion
    02-02-16 10:42 PM
    I'm an iPhone user who just recently moved over to the Priv. I'm a jump on demand user that gets 3 upgrades a year, so I decided take a chance on Blackberry and I have to tell you I absolutely love this phone. Among all the glass slabs that are available today it does just enough things different to stand out. I love the build quality and the slide out keyboard that can also be used as a track pad is great. I've pretty much tried every phone out there and I'll be keeping this phone until the Priv 2 is released.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    02-02-16 10:45 PM
    Huh? The dude opens with "Aren't BlackBerry phones for stodgy businessmen clinging to outdated technology? Well, sure, but it's definitely not limited to just them." Then, when he gets to the part where he "learns to stop worrying", well, he basically did so by by avoiding the "BlackBerry" on the device, replacing that "BlackBerry" with "better" apps and tweaks, and using it like any other Android sans BlackBerry, but one with a pkb.

I guess if you are not a long term BB user (that is, in particular you are coming from Android) then this sort of thing is considered "unbiased". I mean, I suppose the S6 Edge is just like any other Android device when you get rid of all of that TouchWiz stuff and ignore the edge. Or how an LG v10 is like all the rest when you forget about that "second screen" or whatever.

The author only got the phone because it is a flagship Android with a pkb. Outside of expecting more from BlackBerry on the software side he ultimately does not seem to care about the BlackBerry part of the Priv at all. He also seems more embarrassed than surprised about owning a BlackBerry. Oh wait, he borrowed the phone from BlackBerry.

*to add*
    The author of this story is one of the founding members of The Verge.
    will308 likes this.
    02-02-16 11:08 PM
    Why are you giving the author a hard time when he obviously likes the Priv? Do you have to be a hardcore legacy user to be accepted in the BlackBerry community? At this point, converting any android or iPhone user is a good thing and in my opinion should be welcome.

Mr4aces likes this.
    02-03-16 12:00 AM
    The Priv doesn't automatically adjust the screen brightness to an acceptable level when I transition from indoors to outdoors and vice versa
    Mine does... sometimes it can take 3-5
    seconds however to kick in.

There's some nasty shutter lag on the camera. The picture I think I'm snapping isn't the picture I get.
    Very true. The shutter lag is there but the camera quality is quite impressive imo.

02-03-16 01:02 AM
    I also started getting peeved with the creaking because it got worse for me.

Lifted the back cover and inserted a couple of pieces of thick paper and the phone feels solid now.

Just feel like the creaking took this phone down a notch from premium IMO.

02-03-16 01:09 AM
    An interesting read, being a Passport user wondering about BB10's successor...

Posted via CB10
    02-03-16 01:36 AM
    thrue, stop to look for Blackberry in the Priv and you will agree it is a very good phone.
    But I miss passport quality
    02-03-16 01:50 AM
    Huh? The dude opens with "Aren't BlackBerry phones for stodgy businessmen clinging to outdated technology? Well, sure, but it's definitely not limited to just them." Then, when he gets to the part where he "learns to stop worrying", well, he basically did so by by avoiding the "BlackBerry" on the device, replacing that "BlackBerry" with "better" apps and tweaks, and using it like any other Android sans BlackBerry, but one with a pkb.

I guess if you are not a long term BB user (that is, in particular you are coming from Android) then this sort of thing is considered "unbiased". I mean, I suppose the S6 Edge is just like any other Android device when you get rid of all of that TouchWiz stuff and ignore the edge. Or how an LG v10 is like all the rest when you forget about that "second screen" or whatever.

The author only got the phone because it is a flagship Android with a pkb. Outside of expecting more from BlackBerry on the software side he ultimately does not seem to care about the BlackBerry part of the Priv at all. He also seems more embarrassed than surprised about owning a BlackBerry. Oh wait, he borrowed the phone from BlackBerry.

*to add*
    the author wrote the review based on his own experience and what he thought about the Priv. it is his own opinion, and i don't think he bashed BB here. He pointed out the things that bothered him (which most people agree on) and the things he liked.
    The Priv is neither a pure BB product nor it is a pure Android product, it is a combination of both and many people are struggling to find the BB in it (keyboard, the Hub, and the security elements) all of which are different to a certain extent from other BB 10 devices. So yes, sometimes you have to learn to like the product for that is it and get used to it being different from previous products. I am not an Android die hard per-se and i am not a tech person, and i too will have to find what i like about the Priv if i end up buying one. in this case the author saw it from an Android perspective and that is normal and fair.
    02-03-16 09:01 AM

*to add*
    the author wrote the review based on his own experience and what he thought about the Priv. it is his own opinion, and i don't think he bashed BB here. He pointed out the things that bothered him (which most people agree on) and the things he liked.
    The Priv is neither a pure BB product nor it is a pure Android product, it is a combination of both and many people are struggling to find the BB in it (keyboard, the Hub, and the security elements) all of which are different to a certain extent from other BB 10 devices. So yes, sometimes you have to learn to like the product for that is it and get used to it being different from previous products. I am not an Android die hard per-se and i am not a tech person, and i too will have to find what i like about the Priv if i end up buying one. in this case the author saw it from an Android perspective and that is normal and fair.
    02-03-16 09:01 AM
    Why are you giving the author a hard time when he obviously likes the Priv? Do you have to be a hardcore legacy user to be accepted in the BlackBerry community? At this point, converting any android or iPhone user is a good thing and in my opinion should be welcome.

The author likes the pkb, the call quality, and thinks the multitasking menu is "neat". He clearly stated that he was not impressed with the pre-installed apps or "tweaks" from BlackBerry (but does not indicate which ones, exactly) and that it was when he replaced those apps (and tweaks?) with something better, and when he began to use this device like any other Android handset, that he started to like it.

No, you do not have to be a legacy user to be accepted around here. My point was that the author clearly states that it was when he stopped using the device as a "BlackBerry" handset and began to use it as an Android handset that is when he began to like it. He then concludes with (link is in the OP):

"Would I buy a Priv right now? Tough call. The Priv costs $700, as much as the most expensive high-end smartphones often do at launch. As you can see from my list above, it's not quite as good. Besides, we're only weeks away from Mobile World Congress, where a new crop of phones (including a Samsung Galaxy S7) is likely to be announced.

But if I bought a Priv three months ago instead of my Galaxy S6, I don't think I'd regret it. The key is taking that time to get used to the keyboard. For me, it was a three month affair -- struggling with the physical keyboard day after day, meeting after meeting, until it finally clicked. I'm still not as fast as I used to be back in the day, but after a grueling week at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas taking notes non-stop, I can now look you in the eye while I transcribe your words. (Awkward? Yes, but also highly efficient!)

If you're an old-school keyboard purist like me, maybe wait for the Priv 2. (BlackBerry's planning to release at least one new Android phone this year.) But even the current Priv is a pretty solid phone. There are plenty of quirks, but you'll find everything you need."

Once again, if you are coming from Android then this review is likely to seem unbiased and solid because the Android way of doing things is that if you don't like it, change it (launcher, icons, apps, etc.) to build the experience that you want. From a CrackBerry addict's perspective, the pkb on the Priv is not the best from BlackBerry/RIM to begin with so getting this handset just for the pkb is kind of silly (although understandable). For some of us legacy users the idea of an Android BlackBerry is still tough to swallow, so when someone starts talking about how cool the Priv can be if you stop using it as a BlackBerry handset kinda stings, you know.

The author is also founding member of The Verge and The Verge is not known for its kind words towards BlackBerry (as evidenced by his "I thought only...).

Mine does... sometimes it can take 3-5
    seconds however to kick in.
    I thought this was an Android issue in general?

Yeah, cool. I get it. However the author did not take the time to like the device and experience it as a whole, only the pkb.

He also described his "loaner" Priv as an inferior product to the iPhone and Galaxy S6 and of course felt the need to validate his reasons for doing what he did (that reason being, the pkb).
    02-04-16 03:32 PM
    [QUOTE=cpaek72;12245261Among all the glass slabs that are available today it does just enough things different to stand out. I love the build quality and the slide out keyboard that can also be used as a track pad is great. I've pretty much tried every phone out there and I'll be keeping this phone until the Priv 2 is released.
    Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android[/QUOTE]

you need to try a passport out as well
    02-04-16 03:35 PM
    I am just really getting the hang of mine now too after three months.
    And I love this phone.....

Clicked and flicked with my Priv.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    02-04-16 03:48 PM
    Great read! Thanks for sharing it!
    02-04-16 06:46 PM
    If the only thing they can complain about is cost, and I've seen silly posts about, gosh, if it was $100 cheaper they'd buy it.

Just silly nonsense I say. If it's the phone you actually admire and want, then to say $100 is a deal breaker?! They ain't seriously interested in it...
    02-04-16 07:38 PM

You own BB stock? You sound like it.
    02-04-16 07:40 PM
    I also started getting peeved with the creaking because it got worse for me.

Lifted the back cover and inserted a couple of pieces of thick paper and the phone feels solid now.

Just feel like the creaking took this phone down a notch from premium IMO.

Is your the style without NFC charging? From Canada?
    02-04-16 07:42 PM
    After reading about creaking phones for 3 months it just dawned on me that I have the STV100-1 ATT with wireless charging.

Never had any hardware problems. The build quality is BlackBerry

BlackBerry PRIV w/9900 Classic backup
    02-04-16 08:04 PM
    For me the Priv and the experience is nothing more or less than expected with a new product. Updates gratefully received. It is now my main driver; yes I prefer the passport operationally because of the size of keyboard, but the benefit of the huge android software range available on the Priv is definitely a massive plus - particularly because the software - is annoyance free: "no bloatware"

Previous to the Priv I used a passport and a Nexus 6p - both now replaced by one PRIV.
    02-04-16 10:31 PM
    I've had the Priv for a week now and although I'm not completely converted to a android powered BlackBerry, I'm enjoying it immensely.

I won't go into all the pros and cons.

Just to say I am a diehard blackberry power user.

But I see merit in this slider that will appeal to a great many and it should.

It is unfortunate that not more got on board with bb10, not making it a popular OS, something I am still having a hard time accepting.

Blackberry 10 is out of the box solid but it apparently has endured enough.

Luckily I still have my Passport which allows me to do what the Priv can't as easily.

That's my observation so far.

I will say this though ; give the physical keyboard a chance.

I alternate from the virtual to the physical and there are merits to both.

The rest is your choice

Sent from my android powered BlackBerry

Mr4aces likes this.
    02-04-16 10:55 PM