Hello guys, seen many thread of the android venice but You all are forgetting one thing, how fast will/can blackberry update the android os? Since they are always messing up every bb10 os update, what is stopping them from doing the same with the android os? And remember they are not the only one in that market space (android), should they have any lapses, it's downward berrydroid venice.

Sovereign sir mictol
    09-23-15 01:47 PM
    BlackBerry hasn't been messing up BB10 updates. Those that purchased phones directly from BlackBerry get their updates directly from BlackBerry as soon as they are released. BlackBerry doesn't have any control over when updates are released through carriers.

It has been suggested that BlackBerry might make Android updates available directly from their servers for all users of the Venice.
    ayngling likes this.
    09-23-15 02:05 PM
    This is my greatest concern about the Venice, as many Android devices have issues getting updates out in a timely manner. The OS seems reasonably close to vanilla in the leaks, but there will still be some time spent on re-adding and testing features every time Google release a new update. Coupled with the carrier approval process, updates could take some time to roll out.

In an ideal world, BlackBerry would bypass carrier approval, but how are they going to convince the carriers to do that for them? Even Samsung doesn't have that privilege - only Apple and Google hardware have been given such exemptions. ShopBlackBerry units might bypass it like they do now, but most customers will likely get the phone straight from carriers as usual.
    09-23-15 02:11 PM
    Simple answer. They're not. It's gonna be slow and take forever and probably be buggy.

I really hope I'm wrong.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-23-15 02:55 PM
    *Blackberry* will get updates ready just fine. It's T-Mobile, verizon, at&t, and sprint who you'll be waiting on until the end of time if you buy a carrier branded phone.
    09-23-15 03:49 PM
    Hello guys, seen many thread of the android venice but You all are forgetting one thing, how fast will/can blackberry update the android os? Since they are always messing up every bb10 os update, what is stopping them from doing the same with the android os? And remember they are not the only one in that market space (android), should they have any lapses, it's downward berrydroid venice.

Sovereign sir mictol
    what you mean by "messing up every bb10 update"?
    09-23-15 03:58 PM
    Google/major OEM/carriers at least in the US have recently agreed on a framework for monthly security updates so BB can hop on that for those issues. As for major updates it may take as long if not longer than BB10, some areas of world still haven't gotten 10.3.2 pushed.
    09-23-15 04:05 PM
    This is my greatest concern about the Venice, as many Android devices have issues getting updates out in a timely manner. The OS seems reasonably close to vanilla in the leaks, but there will still be some time spent on re-adding and testing features every time Google release a new update. Coupled with the carrier approval process, updates could take some time to roll out.

In an ideal world, BlackBerry would bypass carrier approval, but how are they going to convince the carriers to do that for them? Even Samsung doesn't have that privilege - only Apple and Google hardware have been given such exemptions. ShopBlackBerry units might bypass it like they do now, but most customers will likely get the phone straight from carriers as usual.
    Agreed. This is one of my concerns too. I truly wish they would release this Venice and be much like the Moto X Pure Ed. No carrier chain and good for any carrier (CDMA or GSM).

This is also why I will wait a few months and see how fast this Venice is updated especially with the Marshmallow version. It's not only IPhones and Nexus devices that get fast updates. The Moto phones have been known to get quick updates too. And speaking of Marshmallow, I will wait and see how the security experts analyze the much-claimed security & privacy improvements of this version of Android. Remember, Google is claiming that individual permissions per App can now be turned on or off. And then there's the competing security device: Blackphone 2 coming out this month too. Their website claims G-Play services will be on board.

This Venice is not a sure thing as it relates to the competition, but it will be more useful TO ME (the hell with the rest of the world) than my current Z30.
    09-23-15 04:32 PM
    This is also why I will wait a few months and see how fast this Venice is updated especially with the Marshmallow version. It's not only IPhones and Nexus devices that get fast updates. The Moto phones have been known to get quick updates too.
    Motorola phones bought from carriers still go through the update approval process. But their version of Android is so close to stock that they're usually able to get it out to carriers faster than other OEMs. Of course, the Moto X Pure Edition bypasses the carrier nonsense altogether, which is nice.
    09-23-15 04:43 PM
    I would buy unlocked through shop BlackBerry if you are concerned about updates. The carriers are a major bottleneck

Posted via CB10
    ayngling likes this.
    09-23-15 05:12 PM
    The carrier delays totally depend on the carrier. Canadian carriers actually get updates in a fairly reasonable time frame. I had a worse situation with a Motorola atrix on gingerbread. They never upgraded past that.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-23-15 05:28 PM
    U think that BlackBerry messed up with pushing updates? I guess you've never seen a Samsung device, on my Q10 I always get update once it's out

CB10Q10SQN100-3/10.3.2.2639
    09-23-15 07:10 PM