Also worth noting, there is a 'Pointer Speed' setting under the 'Alternative input methods' in the "Language & input" settings, which I am almost 100% sure was there before I autoloaded to "South Korea – STV100-3 AAJ049". Now changing the setting affects the speed sensitivity of the mouse in pointer mode! Could anyone confirm having that setting on their Priv? Maybe that's a sign of the pointer mode rolling out to other Privs too?
    I can also confirm that I have this option but there is no pointer mode under developer options (STV100-3 AAJ049) original fw, not korean one.
    03-08-17 12:06 PM
    I'm trying really hard to understand the logic of why some ppl have this feature while others don't have it. It's really strange that flashing the fw mentioned by OP will 100% give you this functionality, as some ppl with various models and from various parts of the world, have this feature and they are on a different fw than the one mentioned by OP. I would love this option but I don't want to flash the phone (not that I don't know how to, I simply am not in the mood to do it).
    Can we somehow make a list with the ppl that have the option and are not on the korean fw?

I also read that some ppl had the option and after a security update it was gone, while others didn't have it but after a security update it showed up. Ever since I heard of this option, each month after the update, I check developer option only to see that I still don't have that setting.
    It should be anyone on the Korean/Verizon branch, so consult this list: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...uilds-1083171/
    03-08-17 12:15 PM
    It should be anyone on the Korean/Verizon branch, so consult this list: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...uilds-1083171/
    So why are the rest of the ppl that are not on korean/veriozon branch without the option? Why is this option only of the korean/verizon fw?
    03-08-17 12:29 PM
    So why are the rest of the ppl that are not on korean/veriozon branch without the option? Why is this option only of the korean/verizon fw?
    From the horse's mouth:

This experimental feature exists only on Verizon PRIV Marshmallow builds, essentially as a consequence of the later delivery of the first M update for Verizon. Verizon builds are produced from a release branch created a little later; this backdoor feature was just newer content that got picked up in that branch along with some Verizon-specific changes. New builds reflecting the latest security patches continue to come from each of the active release branches, but this particular content remains only on the Verizon-specific branch.
    03-08-17 12:31 PM
    Also worth noting, there is a 'Pointer Speed' setting under the 'Alternative input methods' in the "Language & input" settings, which I am almost 100% sure was there before I autoloaded to "South Korea – STV100-3 AAJ049". Now changing the setting affects the speed sensitivity of the mouse in pointer mode! Could anyone confirm having that setting on their Priv? Maybe that's a sign of the pointer mode rolling out to other Privs too?

Moreover, I am unfortunately unable to set up Android Pay on my Priv now: "Android Pay can't be used on this device - This may be because your device is rooted, has an unlocked bootloader or is running a custom ROM. As a result, Google can't confirm that your device meets Android Pay's security standards." However, my mobile banking app which sensitive to rooting, does work with no problems.
    But what does DTEK say? Still says legit BlackBerry hardware and software?
    03-08-17 12:38 PM
    From the horse's mouth:
    OK, that explains why some devices have it while others don't, it's a shame that they didn't merge that feature in the new branches so all users of Priv can enjoy this feature, it seems I will have to get over my lazy *** and flash the korean fw, or maybe I will wait until N is released and maybe flash a version of N that has it if it won't be available directly through N, I just hope that there will be a build that will contain this option.
    Thanks for the info.
    03-08-17 12:58 PM
    But what does DTEK say? Still says legit BlackBerry hardware and software?
    DTEK does not see any problem with the OS and the device:
    03-08-17 01:45 PM
    I'm trying really hard to understand the logic of why some ppl have this feature while others don't have it. It's really strange that flashing the fw mentioned by OP will 100% give you this functionality, as some ppl with various models and from various parts of the world, have this feature and they are on a different fw than the one mentioned by OP. I would love this option but I don't want to flash the phone (not that I don't know how to, I simply am not in the mood to do it).
    Can we somehow make a list with the ppl that have the option and are not on the korean fw?

I also read that some ppl had the option and after a security update it was gone, while others didn't have it but after a security update it showed up. Ever since I heard of this option, each month after the update, I check developer option only to see that I still don't have that setting.
    It was mentioned by BB person that it was included in the Verizon versions. There was no mention of others until there was word that the Korean version also had it.
    03-08-17 03:21 PM
    I did a video screen capture of Pointer Mode in semi-action. My movements are a bit on the klutzy side. It is too easy to accidently tap on a link or icon and trigger a reaction while trying to move the pointer around the screen. You can tap a variety to things to trigger behavior, including opening and entering numbers in a Calculator, clicking links in web pages and hitting the Back, Home and Recents buttons. The video also captures sounds the phone makes as well as extraneous sounds like the ringing phone near the end.

It is not that easy to control the cursor and not trigger a tap. In addition, later I tried using Pointer Mode while editing a Note entry. If you hit a key, Pointer Mode gets cancelled and you wind up in normal editing mode. BB rep did mention that when we were first discussing Pointer Mode and I could not get a Screenshot of the Circle Cursor. It you hit a key, the Circle is disabled. Also to scroll or page around, you use TWO Fingers across the pkb left/right or up/down To Tap a link or icon, you tap the pbk.

Here's a link to the video

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yfmo4mxd0w...esttt.mp4?dl=0

I previously posted this in a Keyone thread where folks wanted to know about scrolling and Pointer on that device.
    03-09-17 08:43 PM
    I can also confirm that I did receive notification that a system update is available to download (March security update) on my South Korean autoloaded PRIV.

HOWEVER, the update is 1825.8 MB in size! Others are reporting it only being 131 MB. Does that mean that my PRIV wants to get the 'proper' Android build for my device variant? I am wary of updating now in case I lose the Pointer Mode because of that.

FF22, care to see what happens if you update yours, since you are not using your PRIV on a daily basis anymore?
    03-10-17 06:39 PM
    I can also confirm that I did receive notification that a system update is available to download (March security update) on my South Korean autoloaded PRIV.

HOWEVER, the update is 1825.8 MB in size! Others are reporting it only being 131 MB. Does that mean that my PRIV wants to get the 'proper' Android build for my device variant? I am wary of updating now in case I lose the Pointer Mode because of that.

FF22, care to see what happens if you update yours, since you are not using your PRIV on a daily basis anymore?
    I am, right now, in the process of upgrading my ShopBB Priv with the new Security Update. But it does NOT have the Pointer Mode enabled.

It is my Verizon Priv that has Pointer Mode as shown in the video.

And I'm too lazy to use an Autoloader and then reinstalling all of my apps and restoring icon locations and all of the settings on the second Priv.
    03-10-17 07:24 PM
    Fresh firmware AAJ919 - still no pointer mode active
    03-11-17 02:28 PM
    Fresh firmware AAJ919 - still no pointer mode active
    AAJ919 is only a Security Update. It is not a new/changed version of the main OS. Pointer Mode is still only offered for two devices, I guess.
    03-11-17 09:01 PM

Don't update, you will lose the pointer mode I guess
    03-11-17 10:57 PM

You're on the "wrong" branch according to the update mechanism. Putting you back on the "right" one requires a complete OS replacement instead of just the incremental update. It shouldn't delete your data, I believe.

To update to whatever the March update is while keeping pointer mode would require another autoloader.
    FF22 likes this.
    03-11-17 11:45 PM
    Is there any chance that pointer mode will be available for non-Verizon or South Korean versions?
    Actually physical keyboard doesn't have a big sense without movable pointer. You can use it just for typing and you have to jump to the touchscreen for anything else. First time I was very disappointed discovering that Passport didn't have this feature and now with Priv is the same.
    I'm afraid that after ceasing mobile phones manufacturing by BlackBerry, the pointer mode is only a remain of former development and nobody works on it anymore. If this is a case it remains only to get South Korean version but the link given on the beginning of this thread doesn't work any more.
    04-21-17 03:53 AM
    How much work would be involved to make a pointer mode app?
    chuckiev79 likes this.
    04-21-17 08:12 AM
    No pointer mode option available How to enable Pointer mode on the BlackBerry PRIV-screenshot_20170421-191403.jpg
    04-21-17 08:59 AM
    No pointer mode option available Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20170421-191403.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	27.0 KB 
ID:	421589
    No, only on a few selected versions - Verizon and Korean!!
    04-21-17 07:48 PM
    I have the STV100-4 variant of the Priv. If i flash the Korean Firmware, will i still be able to receive the OTA monthly updates?
    04-23-17 12:58 PM
    Might do this, do people still get up to date security patches on unlocked ShopBB devices?
    04-29-17 01:40 PM
    Might do this, do people still get up to date security patches on unlocked ShopBB devices?
    If you do it reverts you back. I don't recommend doing it, honestly.
    04-29-17 08:03 PM
    It should be noted that at least Bell and Telus in Canada are pushing out the Korean branch to their devices (AAK687, April 2017) for whatever reason. If you just received a 2GB update from them, congratulations, you have pointer mode.

A lot.
    04-29-17 08:36 PM

Moreover, I am unfortunately unable to set up Android Pay on my Priv now: "Android Pay can't be used on this device - This may be because your device is rooted, has an unlocked bootloader or is running a custom ROM. As a result, Google can't confirm that your device meets Android Pay's security standards." However, my mobile banking app which sensitive to rooting, does work with no problems.
    I have pointer speed in input but no pointer mode in dev opt in factory unlocked STV100-1.
    04-29-17 11:46 PM
    Just started thinking about how I might try to do this. I wouldn't even charge much. BB actually has some documentation and even a sample app (https://github.com/blackberry/Androi...master/CKBDemo) regarding the PKB and getting "events" (presses, positions...) from the keyboard, i.e. touchpad is very simple.
    BUT, doing anything with them, as in making a pointer actually work, be able to press something etc. is impossible. Outside of "your own" app, that is. Security reasons blabla.
    Programmatically Injecting Events on Android - Part 1 - PocketMagic

Unless you're BlackBerry and can sign and deploy it as a system app, or you have root which is, again, impossible on Priv. So... if someone were interested, he/she could make an app that would use the Priv's touchpad, be it for a game, a browser or whatever, but you can't make an app that would allow you to use it as a trackpad/mouse/whatever system-wide. Too bad...
    05-09-17 08:37 AM
93 1234