I got a USB DAC (digital audio converter, or rather digital-to-analog converter) to use with my PRIV. I'm using the AudioQuest DragonFly Black. It requires a cable in between.

The combined weight of the cable and DAC put a little torque on the USB port. I'd really like to be able to use this freely while working out etc, frequently looking at it and making selections and then placing it back on my Seidio belt clip.

Any way to give me a ballpark idea of how durable the USB port is for this kind of use? Am I "probably" going to be okay? Or is this a pretty sure path to having issues with the port?

Thanks!
    03-02-17 02:52 PM
    I don't think that the usb ports are super robust. If you can join the two units with a strong rubber hand or bungie so that the cable is not constantly exerting force on the port, I'm sure it would be better.
    03-02-17 04:25 PM
    I don't think that the usb ports are super robust. If you can join the two units with a strong rubber hand or bungie so that the cable is not constantly exerting force on the port, I'm sure it would be better.
    I know, I thought of that, but it's not really practical. There's a heavy five-inch cable coming out of the USB port that's not flexible at all, then that goes into the cigarette-lighter-sized DAC device, and then the cord to my IEM's goes into that. There's just no way to wrap or secure it that's practical.
    03-02-17 05:38 PM
    Keeping it simple. The port is not robust. You will have issues.
    03-02-17 06:08 PM
    Keeping it simple. The port is not robust. You will have issues.
    If Lostboy is around, it's never simple.
    FF22 and Wezard like this.
    03-02-17 07:35 PM
    I've taken a lot of phones apart, and it's amazing that their tiny ports withstand multiple daily plug/unplug cycles. Quite delicate and dainty.

There is a device you might consider. It's a micro USB magnetic adaptor. This should, in theory, break away from the connector before exerting enough force to damage the port:
    Attached Thumbnails How durable is the USB port on the PRIV?-15467.jpg  
    FF22 likes this.
    03-02-17 11:59 PM
    If Lostboy is around, it's never simple.
    Well, SOMEONE has to educate you people. Just saying "you'll have issues" is simple, for sure and doesn't tell me anything helpful. and you can expect that person to come back with more simple questions never knowing the "WHY" of it.
    Just my statement "don't confuse Quality with Durability" should be a known factor but I've lost count of the posts I've replied to where after someone has described how they abused the ports still didn't seem to have a clue why the ports stop working.
    Last edited by Lostboy5151; 03-05-17 at 01:50 PM.
    misterabrasive likes this.
    03-03-17 01:39 AM
    I've already met the ceiling wax fellow. Quite an "Amazing" product! I now have all my ceilings waxed. The dust now falls right to the floor. Don't know what to do with it because I was used to storing it on the ceiling.
    FF22 and anon(3732391) like this.
    03-03-17 08:22 AM
    I have to say, for someone who drifted in to get out of the rain, you were very convincing. Have you considered a job in advertising. I could connect you with a fellow who need your skill to help sell ceiling wax!!
    If we collaborate, as you do tend to wax on (and on, but you don't wax off ... which is awesome), we could be on to something big. Really, really big. "Yuge" even!
    misterabrasive likes this.
    03-03-17 10:27 AM
    I have to say, for someone who drifted in to get out of the rain, you were very convincing. Have you considered a job in advertising. I could connect you with a fellow who need your skill to help sell ceiling wax!!
    If we collaborate, as you do tend to wax on (and on, but you don't wax off ... which is awesome), we could be on to something big. Really, really big. "Yuge" even!
    FF22 and anon(3732391) like this.
    03-03-17 10:27 AM
    I've already met the ceiling wax fellow. Quite an "Amazing" product! I now have all my ceilings waxed. The dust now falls right to the floor. Don't know what to do with it because I was used to storing it on the ceiling.
    This may come as a surprise to you, but now you have a story about your stored!
    And I just love stories!!
    03-03-17 12:14 PM
    At first, my thoughts were... "Huge???" Humm. Let's go with really big for now. Then I saw that you wrote it twice.
    WOW! It really must be huge! I'm in. You can be the boss. And, I'll work on commission. If you were to pay me, it might stifle my creativity and that just wouldn't do!

So.... What's our first mission, boss?
    03-03-17 12:27 PM
    This may come as a surprise to you, but now you have a story about your stored!
    And I just love stories!!
    I was totally and completely surprised. Moreover, I was taken aback.
    anon(3732391) likes this.
    03-03-17 12:30 PM
    I was totally and completely surprised. Moreover, I was taken aback.
    Were you taken a-back to the woodshed?

In any event, we should probably concentrate on usb port durability or NOT?

I checked on those magnetic thing-a-ma-jigs but the reviews were all over the place.
    03-03-17 04:34 PM
    I was about to unsubscribe from this thread but your comment about returning to the topic gives me a glimpse of hope. (I feel like I'll live to regret it but what the heck.)

Aren't those magnetic things a waste of time for the application in question when one considers that it's not just a simple USB adapter cable being connected between the phone and the DAC? It's an "OTG" USB cable.

I know for USB Type-C ports the adapters to go to micro-USB specify in each case that it either is or it not able to support OTG. I'm willing to bet those magnetic things can't possibly support OTG. (Besides, the whole goal here is to attempt to achieve better audio quality, and, well, the magnetic thing?)
    03-03-17 04:38 PM
    Were you taken a-back to the woodshed?

In any event, we should probably concentrate on usb port durability or NOT?

I checked on those magnetic thing-a-ma-jigs but the reviews were all over the place.
    Yes we should. So here's my opinion. The more you use it, the faster it's going to wear out. The durability is fine....as long as you are careful when you insert the plug and careful when you remove it. If you jam it in and jerk it out it is bound to fail sooner. That's why I insert mine slowly and carefully and do the same when I withdraw it. I also use my wireless charger most of the time. Always overnight.
    03-03-17 04:41 PM
    Yes we should. So here's my opinion. The more you use it, the faster it's going to wear out. The durability is fine....as long as you are careful when you insert the plug and careful when you remove it. If you jam it in and jerk it out it is bound to fail sooner. That's why I insert mine slowly and carefully and do the same when I withdraw it. I also use my wireless charger most of the time. Always overnight.
    Thanks. And you feel the general pressures of handing it while it's plugged in are not that big of a deal if I'm reasonably conscious about how I handle it? (I mean, people plug in the charging cable and drive and talk a lot and that must put a moderate amount of pressure on it, and it has to be designed to generally handle that.)
    03-03-17 04:46 PM
    I thing this a fragile phone. The USB port see very fragile sometime it is hard to have a good connection.... I would have to repair soon I guess.

Posted via CB10
    03-03-17 05:03 PM
    Thanks. And you feel the general pressures of handing it while it's plugged in are not that big of a deal if I'm reasonably conscious about how I handle it? (I mean, people plug in the charging cable and drive and talk a lot and that must put a moderate amount of pressure on it, and it has to be designed to generally handle that.)
    Well, as long as you have a reasonably long charging cable, it should be okay...again, if you're careful. In my opinion, the OEM charging cable that came with my Priv is too short. Unless you want to cuddle up to the outlet, you should get a longer one. I have purchased a couple of 6 ft Seido braided cables and they work perfectly when I need to plug it in and use the phone when I'm not near the wireless. The same for the car. But I use Bluetooth hands-free in the car so that isn't an issue for me
    03-03-17 05:05 PM
    Well, as long as you have a reasonably long charging cable, it should be okay...again, if you're careful. In my opinion, the OEM charging cable that came with my Priv is too short. Unless you want to cuddle up to the outlet, you should get a longer one. I have purchased a couple of 6 ft Seido braided cables and they work perfectly when I need to plug it in and use the phone when I'm not near the wireless. The same for the car. But I use Bluetooth hands-free in the car so that isn't an issue for me
    Oh, wow! You just gave me the insight needed to largely resolve the problem! The weight of the short OTG adapter cable and the DAC itself are the main cause for concern here. Currently, they're plugged right into the phone, so any movement I make puts the leverage right there at the USB port. And, as I said, the short adapter cable is just too bulky to be bent to let me secure the whole rig to the phone -- which would be awkward anyway.

But, if I just get a plain micro-USB extension cable and run that between the phone and the OTG-cable-and-DAC assembly, I can then secure the OTG-cable-and-DAC assembly to my belt somehow and still be able to handle the phone just fine, while putting minimal pressure on the USB port!

Awesome!

Thanks!
    misterabrasive and FF22 like this.
    03-03-17 05:14 PM
    As a followup to my preceding post, what's the reason you go for Seidio (great name, I know -- I've used and still use their Surface case and belt-clip exclusively for all my BlackBerry phones) and a "braided" cable?

Seems there are probably advantages I might want to know about, yet the weight and bulk might work against me for the given application as compared to a more lightweight and more flexible cable. I'm not sure what the pros and cons might be, especially since audio quality is my main reason for going through all of this.
    03-03-17 05:20 PM
    As a followup to my preceding post, what's the reason you go for Seidio (great name, I know -- I've used and still use their Surface case and belt-clip exclusively for all my BlackBerry phones) and a "braided" cable?

Seems there are probably advantages I might want to know about, yet the weight and bulk might work against me for the given application as compared to a more lightweight and more flexible cable. I'm not sure what the pros and cons might be, especially since audio quality is my main reason for going through all of this.
    No particular reason. It just looked good. I think I got them from the CrackBerry Store. I have also used the BlackBerry Premium charger, AKA the PlayBook charger, for years. 6 ft cord, but it's permanently locked to the charger plug.
    I also use the Seido Surface case and holster.
    03-03-17 05:26 PM
    I've taken a lot of phones apart, and it's amazing that their tiny ports withstand multiple daily plug/unplug cycles. Quite delicate and dainty.

There is a device you might consider. It's a micro USB magnetic adaptor. This should, in theory, break away from the connector before exerting enough force to damage the port:
    That's neat
    03-03-17 05:35 PM
    I was about to unsubscribe from this thread but your comment about returning to the topic gives me a glimpse of hope. (I feel like I'll live to regret it but what the heck.)

Aren't those magnetic things a waste of time for the application in question when one considers that it's not just a simple USB adapter cable being connected between the phone and the DAC? It's an "OTG" USB cable.

I know for USB Type-C ports the adapters to go to micro-USB specify in each case that it either is or it not able to support OTG. I'm willing to bet those magnetic things can't possibly support OTG. (Besides, the whole goal here is to attempt to achieve better audio quality, and, well, the magnetic thing?)
    Well, it seems that your idea of using an extension cable might solve or mitigate your concerns. If those magnetic adapters carry all of the wire connections like a regular usb cable, it probably would be used for a usb-on-the-go. I purchased about 1/2 dozen about 15 inch long extensions from Monoprice.com at a reasonable price. I've purchased tons of cables of all types from them.
    03-03-17 06:50 PM
    Well, it seems that your idea of using an extension cable might solve or mitigate your concerns. If those magnetic adapters carry all of the wire connections like a regular usb cable, it probably would be used for a usb-on-the-go. I purchased about 1/2 dozen about 15 inch long extensions from Monoprice.com at a reasonable price. I've purchased tons of cables of all types from them.
    I can't imagine that magnet handling the weight of the OTG cable, DAC, and headphones cable as I remove the phone from the belt clip, use it, and replace it. But it is an intrguing concept. Heck, I may even try one.

Out of curiosity, why a bunch of 15-inch lengths?
    03-03-17 07:21 PM
39 12