1. Julieanne12345dddddddddddddd's Avatar
    I keep getting the "an update is available" message on my PRIV but when I select download I get an error message! I have followed the link to supposedly resolve the issue by un-installing Google play updates but still getting the error message??? Can anyone help???
    06-08-18 03:41 PM
    How about posting here your error message?
    06-08-18 06:59 PM
    I keep getting the "an update is available" message on my PRIV but when I select download I get an error message! I have followed the link to supposedly resolve the issue by un-installing Google play updates but still getting the error message??? Can anyone help???
    Uninstall Google Play Services updates.
    06-08-18 08:14 PM
    I did followed the steps and Un installed Google play services. Then I got my update. After a reboot I was able to update my play services. Everything works fine.

BlackBerry Q10
    06-09-18 12:43 AM
    I did followed the steps and Un installed Google play services. Then I got my update. After a reboot I was able to update my play services. Everything works fine.

BlackBerry Q10
    Just uninstall the updates! Not the complete app...

In settings->apps find Google Play services and tap on the three dots in Upper right corner.
    There you see the option to uninstall the updates. Do that.

You will see lots of notifications about updating Google Play services but ignore them.

Now install update and when rebooted and finished you can the update the Google Play services again.
    moonflyer likes this.
    06-09-18 04:46 AM
    Yes, just the updates.. Not the application.

BlackBerry Q10
    06-09-18 12:38 PM
    I came to the forums today because I'm having the same issue with installing the latest update. I am unable to uninstall the updates to Google Play Services and am stalled for ideas.

When I click on Download the update, it tries and then tells me I've got a Verification Error.
    It tells me to go to Unable to install System Update on BlackBerry powered by Android Smartphone and follow those steps. (Actually it gives me a link to otafix with the same steps).

I get to Google Play Services, click on the 3 dots, click 'uninstall updates" and it tells me I need to go into Device Administrator and unclick "Find my Device". (And any other thing that's clicked on already.)
    When I unclick "Find My Device", I always get stopped and the message "Unfortunately Settings has Stopped."
    So I can't take it further.
    I've tried restarting / turning it off / uninstalling my personal apps to see if I can get it to allow me to install the updates or at least uninstall Google Play Services.

Any other ideas?
    06-09-18 01:53 PM
    Serious question here. I keep seeing people having this difficulty. Does the update no longer come with the link to the workaround regarding disabling play services? When I got the update, it made it clear that some users would have the issue, and it provided a link to a page detailing the workaround.
    06-09-18 02:53 PM
    I came to the forums today because I'm having the same issue with installing the latest update. I am unable to uninstall the updates to Google Play Services and am stalled for ideas.

When I click on Download the update, it tries and then tells me I've got a Verification Error.
    It tells me to go to Unable to install System Update on BlackBerry powered by Android Smartphone and follow those steps. (Actually it gives me a link to otafix with the same steps).

I get to Google Play Services, click on the 3 dots, click 'uninstall updates" and it tells me I need to go into Device Administrator and unclick "Find my Device". (And any other thing that's clicked on already.)
    When I unclick "Find My Device", I always get stopped and the message "Unfortunately Settings has Stopped."
    So I can't take it further.
    I've tried restarting / turning it off / uninstalling my personal apps to see if I can get it to allow me to install the updates or at least uninstall Google Play Services.

Any other ideas?
    Here is how I installed the update (AAW068) without having any problems.

1. Backup your PRIV (in Settings click
    backup),

2. Then in Settings do a "factory reset"

3. Switch off your PRIV when finished,

4. Switch on your PRIV,

5. You should see the "Update" notice,

6. Download the update,

7. Install the update,

8. When the update is finished
    reinstall your backup. (go into
    Settings and click on "reinstall
    settings and apps.)

9. You are finished and your PRIV
    should work as usual with the new
    update.
    06-09-18 03:57 PM
  10. Julieanne12345dddddddddddddd's Avatar
    Uninstall Google Play Services updates.
    I have already done this and still getting same error message.
    06-09-18 03:57 PM
  11. Julieanne12345dddddddddddddd's Avatar
    Serious question here. I keep seeing people having this difficulty. Does the update no longer come with the link to the workaround regarding disabling play services? When I got the update, it made it clear that some users would have the issue, and it provided a link to a page detailing the workaround.
    The workaround isn't working!!!
    06-09-18 03:59 PM

backup),

4. Switch on your PRIV,

6. Download the update,

7. Install the update,

settings and apps.)

update.
    Okay, I'll give this a try tomorrow. I've never backed up my phone and gone back to factory reset, so I want to make sure I have enough time in case I encounter problems. Thank you for the suggestion. I'll let you know if it works.
    06-09-18 04:32 PM
    In my case, it did come with a link; I did have the issue; the workaround didn't work.
    06-09-18 04:33 PM
    In my case, it did come with a link; I did have the issue; the workaround didn't work.
    Delete your cache, then reboot using the 32 second reboot, then try it again.
    Hawktwo likes this.
    06-09-18 04:43 PM
    Delete your cache, then reboot using the 32 second reboot, then try it again.
    Hawktwo likes this.
    06-10-18 05:49 AM
    PHUGHES and JOSS2
    Thanks for this suggestion. It worked. I waited a couple of days to see if I'd need to do the backup and restore my BB to factory settings, but so far, so good.
    PHughes likes this.
    06-12-18 08:08 AM
    PHUGHES and JOSS2
    Thanks for this suggestion. It worked. I waited a couple of days to see if I'd need to do the backup and restore my BB to factory settings, but so far, so good.
    Glad to hear the issue is resolved.
    06-12-18 12:02 PM
    Just uninstall the updates! Not the complete app...

In settings->apps find Google Play services and tap on the three dots in Upper right corner.
    There you see the option to uninstall the updates. Do that.

You will see lots of notifications about updating Google Play services but ignore them.

Now install update and when rebooted and finished you can the update the Google Play services again.
    Thanks for the tip, I had the same issue which I resolved immediately after reading your post !
    Hphv likes this.
    06-16-18 12:52 AM
    Well, it appears as if I will have to do a factory reset after all. After 5 days of no notices that I had an update, the update icon appeared and again failed after trying the steps recommended for the OTAFIX. The clear the cache data seems to have worked for less than a week. I should have a block of time today to try this.
    06-17-18 06:29 AM
    Thanks for the tip, I had the same issue which I resolved immediately after reading your post !
    Happy that my post helped you!
    06-17-18 01:24 PM
    Well, it appears as if I will have to do a factory reset after all. After 5 days of no notices that I had an update, the update icon appeared and again failed after trying the steps recommended for the OTAFIX. The clear the cache data seems to have worked for less than a week. I should have a block of time today to try this.
    OMG this has created a new problem. "Unfortunately Blackberry Launcher has stopped" and with this issue, I have no phone, no web, just access to my settings. I went to the Verizon store and they said the phone is permanently kaput and suggested a couple of devices I might like even better. I asked if I could use their phones to call tech support but they wouldn't allow it.
    06-17-18 04:36 PM
    OMG this has created a new problem. "Unfortunately Blackberry Launcher has stopped" and with this issue, I have no phone, no web, just access to my settings. I went to the Verizon store and they said the phone is permanently kaput and suggested a couple of devices I might like even better. I asked if I could use their phones to call tech support but they wouldn't allow it.
    At last ... my phone and apps are back to being usable. In following the steps above and step 8 says 'When the update is finished reinstall your backup. (go into Settings and click on "reinstall settings and apps.) ' I kept looking for the reinstall under settings. The Priv-Android seems to have an auto reinstall capability. After fooling with this for an hour, I got a notification that my apps were updating. I looked at the list of apps auto updating and Blackberry Launcher was one of them. So I quietly put down the phone with fingers crossed that once Black Launcher was updated that my problem would go away. Eventually enough apps updated that my Priv began to feel and look familiar and friendly once again.
    06-17-18 06:52 PM
    b

backup),

4. Switch on your PRIV,

6. Download the update,

7. Install the update,

settings and apps.)

update.
    Beware: No matter what you backup automatically you will loose data by doing a factory reset, cause BlackBerry has no full automatic backup in Android with all app settings and no desktop backup solution as well, so be sure to backup manually all settings/data in 3rd party apps.
    Factory reset should be last resort for a phone and is not needed for this update problem, just use OTAfix:
    http://support.blackberry.com/kb/art...language=en_US
    06-20-18 12:21 AM
    b

Beware: No matter what you backup automatically you will loose data by doing a factory reset, cause BlackBerry has no full automatic backup in Android with all app settings and no desktop backup solution as well, so be sure to backup manually all settings/data in 3rd party apps.
    Factory reset should be last resort for a phone and is not needed for this update problem, just use OTAfix:
    Unable to install System Update on BlackBerry powered by Android Smartphone
    I agree; and in my case it was a last resort. The OTAFIX would not work for me. I tried it many times. I tried the less stressful approach of clearing my cache when the OTAFIX didn't work, and after that did not produce a permanent fix, I did the factory reset. In all my years of owning various Blackberries, I had never used the factory reset path.
    06-20-18 06:14 AM