Hello guys

I'm trying to understand this more. As of yesterday I have just got another priv. So I have 2 privs now.

Maybe I'm still living in the age of using blackberry Link for when I backup and restore from one device to another. Everything would be the same

So yesterday after I got my new priv. I was trying to make my new priv an exact clone of my old one.

I failed horribly
    As I set up my new priv. I'm beginning to hate Google drive more and more...
    I went in to my Google drive turn everything on I got to wait 24 hours! Wth is this

I want back all my call logs. Nothing.
    How does this restore work. Maybe I like the old style of getting my restore done almost immediately whenever I want it

Guys. Please tell me and teach me how this restore works!

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    10-12-16 05:47 PM
    When setting up the new device you should see the option to use the data from another phone or similar. Just use that and it will be close to a clone

How do I restore my new Priv using my old Priv?-lollipop-nexus-7-setup-new.png
    10-12-16 05:49 PM
    As of now. My current new priv is like a new phone. Nothing has happened. Only thing that have synced is my contacts lol. That's quite instant.

I feel android has no proper back up and restore

10-12-16 05:51 PM
    Omg. How u get that option? Steps please. I have never seen that option

10-12-16 05:52 PM
    should pop up after a complete phone wipe
    10-12-16 05:58 PM
    Never seen that option from my new phone. Are u trying to tell me that I won't get that option if my old priv is not wiped?

10-12-16 06:00 PM
    Never seen that option from my new phone. Are u trying to tell me that I won't get that option if my old priv is not wiped?

no, the new one you are trying to set up

Maybe its a ROM thing that BB leaves out. I dont know. I see it all the time on my oneplus if i wipe it though
    10-12-16 06:07 PM
    I just did it a few days ago. I don't recall all of the steps but I transferred a bunch of stuff using the NFC capability - matching phones rear-to-rear. Also, using the Gmail ID from the old on the new, restored my apps. It did not restore all of my home pages. But somehow and, frankly, I don't know how, it actually used my Wallpaper from the original Priv on the new one - which was a personal photos.

I did not attempt to "clone" music, photos and videos since I have gigs of those and figured that could take hours, if not days.

I did some manual restoration myself. I copied over some folders and files including the picture that I use for Picture Password and some other docs that I use. I spent half an hour or so moving apps/icons around to mirror the older Priv.

While at one point I thought I had seen a prompt or message that 4 accounts were copied, that was not the case. I had to re-add my other email accounts and my Twitter info. I had to be re-invited to BBM chats by requesting that the groups recognize my new bbid.
    10-12-16 07:02 PM
    10-12-16 07:05 PM
    use sms backup and restore from the play store to backup texts and call logs. restore them to new phone. Also separately backup password manager if you are using it. I used the NFC option F2 noted, then restored texts, call logs and passwords. Had to do some work to get home screens back the way they were, etc.
    bluesqueen23 likes this.
    10-12-16 07:12 PM
    Hmm interesting. Never even occurred to me to use NFC. What is NFC able to transfer?? Is the transfer via NFC faster than bluetooth?

10-12-16 07:19 PM
    I'm not that particular about music and videos. Photos I can use content transfer by BlackBerry. It's the settings and apps. It's tiresome to friggin download all over again and update and crap

10-12-16 07:20 PM
    Bump

10-13-16 12:39 AM
    Bump

Actually, I think you've hit a BUMP in the road. There might be some more tricks that some can post but I fear that the current state of affairs means more manual work than should be necessary. I really think it would be nice if we could backup and restore the BB Launcher. Notes does not have a sync system with anything else.
    bibbula likes this.
    10-13-16 09:16 AM
    I'm also looking at maybe replacing my Priv with a new one (or refurb) and, man, this is a really freakin' weird reality if it's still true that the're no efficient way to clone an old Priv to a new identical piece of hardware. (Like the OP, I'm used to having replaced my BB10 phones using the BB software and a USB cable for backup and then for restore with no problem whatsoever. Did it a number of times. And it seems, well, inevitable it'll need to be done for a BB Android phone at some point, too, whether it's my Priv or a KEYone if VZW carries it.)

Seriously?

Any updates on this?
    03-10-17 11:25 PM
    I'm also looking at maybe replacing my Priv with a new one (or refurb) and, man, this is a really freakin' weird reality if it's still true that the're no efficient way to clone an old Priv to a new identical piece of hardware. (Like the OP, I'm used to having replaced my BB10 phones using the BB software and a USB cable for backup and then for restore with no problem whatsoever. Did it a number of times. And it seems, well, inevitable it'll need to be done for a BB Android phone at some point, too, whether it's my Priv or a KEYone if VZW carries it.)

Seriously?

Any updates on this?
    You should be able to back nearly everything to your Google acct. Then, when you set up your new Priv, it will ask you if you want to set up as a new device or a previous one. I've had 4 Priv's. (Kept selling them on eBay for profit). It asked me every single time which option I wanted to choose.
    03-11-17 12:57 AM
    You should be able to back nearly everything to your Google acct. Then, when you set up your new Priv, it will ask you if you want to set up as a new device or a previous one. I've had 4 Priv's. (Kept selling them on eBay for profit). It asked me every single time which option I wanted to choose.
    With that much experience with it, I feel I'm in good hands asking your advice and guidance.

So, please, when you say "nearly everything," what did it not back up and restore? Texts? Phone logs? Icon layout? Apps from the Play Store -- and their settings (and data)?

(And any idea what it automatically backs up to the Google account when "Back up my data" is On, and perhaps how often?)

Thanks!
    03-11-17 01:04 AM
    If Google will backup and restore call logs and SMS's, I haven't been able to figure out how it do so.
    I use Super Backup for that
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...contacts&hl=en
    It works well, (requires an SD card and moving card, app must be installed on both devices).
    It will also backup and restore most app settings. Google will also restore app settings for most apps, I think it requires turning on an option somewhere in Google.
    To my knowledge, nothing will restore tile placement or widgets.

Since Android, by itself doesn't really do anything, and isn't even exactly the same across various device manufacturers. And since the functionality is all from app's, coming from various vendors and dev's, who all do things differently and sometimes don't play by the rules, I doubt we will ever see anything approaching the completeness of Blend / Link.
    bluesqueen23 likes this.
    03-11-17 05:47 AM
    This is really crazy. In today's world with smartphones being so incredibly capable and so incredibly essential for our ability to function in our personal lives and in business, it makes zero sense that one of the two most used platforms can't provide a way to have automatic daily or even hourly full-system cloud backups that enable a simple one-touch full-system restore to a new device that's identical to the old one.

What the heck is someone to do who loses their phone or it gets damaged or stolen? This is bizarre to the extreme.

There HAS to be a solution that we're not aware of.

Anyone...???
    FF22 likes this.
    03-11-17 01:42 PM
    This is really crazy. In today's world with smartphones being so incredibly capable and so incredibly essential for our ability to function in our personal lives and in business, it makes zero sense that one of the two most used platforms can't provide a way to have automatic daily or even hourly full-system cloud backups that enable a simple one-touch full-system restore to a new device that's identical to the old one.

What the heck is someone to do who loses their phone or it gets damaged or stolen? This is bizarre to the extreme.

There HAS to be a solution that we're not aware of.

Anyone...???
    I have no idea what the solution is on my Priv. But, I have all my company email run through Google Apps for Work & my contacts there as well as my iMac & iCloud. If something happens to my iPhone, I can just plug it into iTunes and it creates a backup. Android just runs differently and I don't know what the solution is. There are apps to back up SMS and if you happen to have Verizon, their messaging app will back up for 90 days.
    03-11-17 02:56 PM
    provide a way to have automatic daily or even hourly full-system cloud backups that enable a simple one-touch full-system restore to a new device that's identical to the old one.
    With as much money could be made with something able to do this, I don't think it can be done. Or somebody would have done it. Plenty of companies and people have tried. It might be do-able if you were limited to a certain set of apps. Apple and BB10 can do it because all the core functions are part of the OS, which they have total control over. In Android, Everything is an app and can be changed, even Phone.
    03-11-17 06:21 PM