I was told by Verizon that the Pri is able to do WiFi calls. I have not been able to determine how to accomplish. My home is in a bad Verizon (and other carrier) data area so I needed to be able to make calls off of my WiFi connection.

Thanks,
    Brian
    07-28-16 11:08 AM
    I spoke to a rep at Verizon about it and they said no it can't. The priv itself can do it, it does it unlocked and on t-mobile I know. Verizon doesn't have it turned on.
    Probably another way they try to force people to iPhone or Samsung. Although they have some LG models that can do it too. It doesn't do it on Verizon because verizon doesn't want it to. I'd love to have the option

Posted with my shiny new Priv
    07-28-16 11:18 AM
    How to enable Wi-Fi calling on your BlackBerry Priv | CrackBerry.com

That tells you how to enable it on the phone.... but you carrier has to support it with that devcies.

As I understood Verizon didn't support Wi-Fi calling with the PRIV at release, but that a software update would add that feature But I don't have a PRIV so I don't know if they ever did. It's not listed https://www.verizon.com/smartphones/wificalling/
    andy957 likes this.
    07-28-16 11:28 AM
    I spoke to a rep at Verizon about it and they said no it can't. The priv itself can do it, it does it unlocked and on t-mobile I know. Verizon doesn't have it turned on.
    Probably another way they try to force people to iPhone or Samsung. Although they have some LG models that can do it too. It doesn't do it on Verizon because verizon doesn't want it to. I'd love to have the option

Yeah it's one of those it can do it, and at some point maybe we will enable it....

But don't hold your breath if their pushing out Marshmallow is any indication of the priority the PRIV has in their system.
    07-28-16 11:40 AM
    How to enable Wi-Fi calling on your BlackBerry Priv | CrackBerry.com

That tells you how to enable it on the phone.... but you carrier has to support it with that devcies.

As I understood Verizon didn't support Wi-Fi calling with the PRIV at release, but that a software update would add that feature But I don't have a PRIV so I don't know if they ever did. It's not listed https://www.verizon.com/smartphones/wificalling/
    Yeah, there's a few things missing on the Verizon Priv that a software update will take care of. But none in sight. Visual Voice Mail is one example.
    bluesqueen23 likes this.
    07-28-16 06:09 PM
    WiFi calling is something that needs to be enabled by every carrier for each individual phone model. As such, it's mostly only present on phones that were sold directly by the provider with its bloatware and branding in place. Swisscom only allows WiFi calling and VoLTE on its own handsets, so no chance of ever seeing it on my priv.
    07-29-16 12:40 AM
    Yet it works just fine on my non carrier branded unlocked Priv.......

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    07-29-16 01:56 AM
    Yet it works just fine on my non carrier branded unlocked Priv.......

On what network... that's the thing, Wi-Fi Calling is dependent on carrier support to begin with.
    07-29-16 07:35 AM
    I have a Note 4 and a Priv and am on AT&T. They both got the MM update within a day of each other.

Note got video and WiFi calling.

Priv doesn't.

Go figure. It is a software issue. Maybe a future update.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android (Priv)
    07-29-16 08:15 AM
    How did you get an unlocked Priv and can mine be unlocked??
    07-29-16 12:01 PM
    I use the text free calling app from the play store.

07-29-16 12:38 PM
    My BlackBerry PRIV is Factory Unlocked. But I can't even find the Option to open my Wi-Fi Call. O was trying also the instructions but I can't even find the Wifi Call in the Setting. Please help guys.

I need Wifi calling because our Office has a bad Signal on the Carrier so I have to use my Wifi Call for it.

 B L A C K B E R R Y [ P R I V ]  | CB APP | A N D R O I D
    07-29-16 12:52 PM
    Our new building is going to have bad signal inside as well and is why I want verizon to kick the WiFi calling button on

08-07-16 01:55 PM
    My BlackBerry PRIV is Factory Unlocked. But I can't even find the Option to open my Wi-Fi Call. O was trying also the instructions but I can't even find the Wifi Call in the Setting. Please help guys.
    From the reading I've done ........ no one can help you unless you state your carrier.

I am on AT&T and I am in the same boat......nothing in the 'Settings'.
    Apparently AT&T chooses who they allow to have this feature. Legal discrimination I guess.

AMUSEMENT: I am in Baton Rouge, Louisiana area. In the middle of the flood event on Sunday August 14th, I woke up early and had no signal at all......... I later learned that all AT&T systems in the area were down (an AT&T switch was one of the first things flooded). During a press conference concerning the flood activities, the Emergency Preparedness officials discussed the AT&T system problem and suggested that everyone turn on their WiFi calling. Very few of the most recent phones on AT&T are even capable of WiFi calling....... and some that are capable are blocked by AT&T from Wifi calling.

MORE AMUSEMENT:
    Immediately after telling all of the AT&T customers to turn on their Wifi calling, the Emergency Preparedness officials starting giving stats on all of the power outages and the 1,000's of people without power.
    08-24-16 04:34 PM
    From the reading I've done ........ no one can help you unless you state your carrier.

I am on AT&T and I am in the same boat......nothing in the 'Settings'.
    Apparently AT&T chooses who they allow to have this feature. Legal discrimination I guess.

AMUSEMENT: I am in Baton Rouge, Louisiana area. In the middle of the flood event on Sunday August 14th, I woke up early and had no signal at all......... I later learned that all AT&T systems in the area were down (an AT&T switch was one of the first things flooded). During a press conference concerning the flood activities, the Emergency Preparedness officials discussed the AT&T system problem and suggested that everyone turn on their WiFi calling. Very few of the most recent phones on AT&T are even capable of WiFi calling....... and some that are capable are blocked by AT&T from Wifi calling.

MORE AMUSEMENT:
    Immediately after telling all of the AT&T customers to turn on their Wifi calling, the Emergency Preparedness officials starting giving stats on all of the power outages and the 1,000's of people without power.
    Stay dry and safe.
    andy957 and leticeberry like this.
    08-24-16 04:46 PM
    If you take the AT&T SIM card out of a factory unlocked priv, does that allow the WiFi calling option I wonder? It's crazy that a carrier can get their hooks so far into a factory unlocked phone when all they should be doing is "allowing" you to access their network as long as you have a data plan.

I assume an autoloader OS would open up the WiFi calling option on a -1 model?

Posted via CB10 from AT&T Q10
    08-24-16 04:54 PM
    If you take the AT&T SIM card out of a factory unlocked priv, does that allow the WiFi calling option I wonder? It's crazy that a carrier can get their hooks so far into a factory unlocked phone when all they should be doing is "allowing" you to access their network as long as you have a data plan.

I assume an autoloader OS would open up the WiFi calling option on a -1 model?

Posted via CB10 from AT&T Q10
    I'm pretty sure, AT&T blocks Wifi calling and other enhanced LTE features on their end, in the servers by IMEI#. The SIM just turns the visual setting off in the phone to cut down on tech support calls.
    Very early on, I ditched my AT&T Priv, replaced with Factory version. Same SIM, same model device. E LTE functions worked on AT&T device, not on BB device.
    08-24-16 07:28 PM
    I'm pretty sure, AT&T blocks Wifi calling and other enhanced LTE features on their end, in the servers by IMEI#. The SIM just turns the visual setting off in the phone to cut down on tech support calls.
    Very early on, I ditched my AT&T Priv, replaced with Factory version. Same SIM, same model device. E LTE functions worked on AT&T device, not on BB device.
    Correct..... my PRIV is factory unlocked with factory/BB OS updates and I have no Wifi call option with or without the SIM card.
    08-24-16 10:17 PM
    I had a Priv unlocked ATT branded on T-mobile and I had WiFi calling all the time with no need of any change on settings, I also had Visual Voice Mail. Then I move to Cricket and no WiFi calling neither VVM. I had to download an app for VVM .
    With BB Passport factory unlocked (on T-mobile) I didn't have WiFi calling. but I had VVM, and on Cricket No WiFi neither VVM. You win one feature and lose other. Why?
    09-09-16 11:41 PM
    I had a Priv unlocked ATT branded on T-mobile and I had WiFi calling
    TMo is much more liberal with BYOD devices, AT&T is either scared a non carrier device will break their system, or trying to boost their own device sales/carrier locks. Prob both with an emphasis on the latter.
    Cricket is a wholly owned subsidiary of AT&T, the only difference is AT&T traffic takes priority if the towers are nearing saturation.
    I'd prob switch to TMo, if I weren't grandfathered into a really good unlimited plan. That, and AT&T really does treat their long time customers better, (specially if you consistently pay your bill on time).
    Vic Daval likes this.
    09-10-16 07:27 AM