Whenever I delete a picture from my Photos app it moves it to the Recycle Bin. If I delete it from there it will not only delete the picture on my phone but on the cloud as well.

I found the option to Free up Device Storage which will delete all pictures from the device that has been uploaded to the cloud, but this isn't what I am looking for since I don't want to delete all pictures, just a selected few.

If I long press a picture it will give me an option to Delete Device Copy, however the picture still shows on my device.

Hope somebody can help.

Thanks in advance and have a great day!

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    07-16-16 11:35 AM
    Yeah that's the thing that the Google photos app would have to improve and excel at. Send Google really is investing our interest rather than keeping the old school...

07-16-16 11:40 AM
    So it's not possible?

07-16-16 11:42 AM
    That is an example of why I do NOT like syncing apps. They don't necessarily do what I NEED. Erasing a photo or doc or other file from one device does not mean I don't want to keep a main/master copy of it where it originally resided.
    07-16-16 12:13 PM
    In Google Photos... Instead of choosing "delete", simply choose "Delete Device Copy" from the menu. That removes it from your device without deleting it altogether.

In Google Photos, the trashcan at the bottom will delete entirely every copy, including cloud copies and whatever other devices have it once they sync. Whereas the 3dot menu option at the top right will allow you to delete just the device copy. The following screenshot shows an example.

Last edited by DenverRalphy; 07-16-16 at 07:27 PM.
    FF22 and Dunt Dunt Dunt like this.
    07-16-16 03:43 PM
    In Google Photos... Instead of choosing "delete", simply choose "Delete Device Copy" from the menu. That removes it from your device without deleting it altogether.

In Google Photos, the trashcan at the bottom will delete entirely device copy, cloud copy, and whatever other devices have it once they sync. Whereas the 3dot menu option at the top right will allow you to delete just the device copy. The following screenshot shows an example.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...169f723f9e.jpg
    That's what I described in my original post. It says the device copy has been deleted but the picture is still there

07-16-16 07:27 PM
    That's what I described in my original post. It says the device copy has been deleted but the picture is still there

The picture isn't on your device. You're seeing the thumbnails for pictures you have sync'd to Google Photos. If you don't want to see those, then just choose "Device Folders" as your viewing option, then you will only see pics/images actually stored on your device.
    07-16-16 07:35 PM
    I don't like Google backing up my pictures - too intrusive

07-16-16 11:43 PM
    I don't like Google backing up my pictures - too intrusive

Also, apparently, Google Photos reduces the resolution of the images to save storage space unless you pay to keep the full size image.
    07-17-16 12:17 AM
    Also, apparently, Google Photos reduces the resolution of the images to save storage space unless you pay to keep the full size image.
    You can keep your photos at their original resolution, but it counts towards your quota of allocated space, which is 15gb. I don't use my google account for anything other than backing up my photos - and it will take quite a long time to use the 15gb up, so I have mine set to original resolution. If you have it scaled down, it won't count towards your quota.

But yes, you can buy more storage.

BlackBerry PRIV STV100-1 6.0.1
    Classic SQC100-1/10.3.2.2876
    FF22 likes this.
    07-17-16 12:22 AM
    You can keep your photos at their original resolution, but it counts towards your quota of allocated space, which is 15gb. I don't use my google account for anything other than backing up my photos - and it will take quite a long time to use the 15gb up, so I have mine set to original resolution. If you have it scaled down, it won't count towards your quota.

But yes, you can buy more storage.

Thanks for clarifying the storage/cost aspects.

Of course, I just checked and my Priv pictures from my recent trip to the Azores and Madeira are 2.5gigs. The camera pictures are 10gigs. How quickly I could use up 15gigs!
    07-17-16 12:44 AM

Of course, I just checked and my Priv pictures from my recent trip to the Azores and Madeira are 2.5gigs. The camera pictures are 10gigs. How quickly I could use up 15gigs!
    Google photos don't use drive allocated space
    07-17-16 12:47 AM
    Google photos don't use drive allocated space
    Are you sure? Google's own FAQ's state that if you don't want to reduce your resolution it will count towards your quota of 15gb on your allocated drive space.

https://support.google.com/drive/answer/6374270?hl=en

07-17-16 01:40 AM

You must take a lot of photos!!

07-17-16 01:41 AM
    You must take a lot of photos!!

I took a fair number but no where near the amount of two folks who took thousands over the course of 3 weeks. Of course, I'm sure I and they will screen and sift but until that happens you want to make sure that they don't disappear. I used usb OTG to back up the Priv to my Tablet and did the same to my camera's sd card. Then use usb OTG to back up again to a thumbdrive from the tablet. It was a bit slow and bouncing between inputs and outputs was interesting.

I guess I did take 1,400 photos with the camera and about 400 with the Priv.
    07-17-16 08:47 AM
    Are you sure? Google's own FAQ's state that if you don't want to reduce your resolution it will count towards your quota of 15gb on your allocated drive space.

https://support.google.com/drive/answer/6374270?hl=en

I apologize, yes there are caviats. 16MP is still good size for most smartphones though.
    07-17-16 11:07 AM
    I can recommend Dropbox. As long as you don't have bidirectional sync turned on, once you sync your BlackBerry to Dropbox, you can delete any or all from your device. I use it on iPhone and BlackBerry and Android with no problem

Posted via CB10
    07-17-16 11:39 AM
    Google Photo's "unlimited free" storage only applies to pictures of 16 MP (megapixels, not megabytes) or smaller. That's actually quite large, but if you're using a modern SLR, it might not be quite full resolution. For most people for smartphone use, that's more than enough (most cell phone cameras are 16 MP or less).

But if you upload larger-than-16 MP photos, and don't let Google reduce them to 16 MP, then those photos will count towards your combined Gmail/Drive/Photos storage, which is 15 GB normally.

For those who don't wish to use Google Photos, it's simple to turn syncing off - but of course losing or damaging the device could mean the loss of all your photos. There's definitely an advantage to having auto backup.
    07-17-16 07:35 PM
    Do I recall that the agreement is that Google can use your photos or is that just another urban legend?

Whether they will or not would be a separate issue over whether they can.
    07-17-16 09:08 PM
    Do I recall that the agreement is that Google can use your photos or is that just another urban legend?
    Many people mistakenly believe that they can because they misinterpret the part in the TOS that says they have the right to distribute your photos. That clause is only there as a legal requirement for when a user downloads their photo from the cloud to another of their devices (because that is indeed distribution). Also to allow them to move the photos to offsite backup facilities etc.. (cuz even a cloud storage needs a backup in the event of a catastrophic malfunction). It also allows them to make your images searchable to the public only if the user specifically tags a photo/pic/album/etc.. as searchable to the public. Any media that you have specifically identified as private (the default) stays that way.
    FF22 likes this.
    07-18-16 11:02 AM