My PRIV, purchased 11/16, started having charging problems 3 months ago. No longer will charge with charger that came with device. Am trying to do a files transfer but it won't connect/charge with 4 of my computers - 3 different labtops nor my desktop. I have found some chargers and USB connectors that will charge my phone.
    - When connecting to computer with USB, I have same problem with connecting to some chargers. When I plug in the green charging prompt at bottom of device says "disconnected battery", although the battery charging indicator moves up an down as if it were charging.
    - This is my fourth or fifth blackberry but I am not a very "technical" user. Please help.
    08-20-18 09:55 PM
    Sounds more likely that the computers nor the chargers are the real issue here. You either have a bad USB port or the battery is on its last legs. Download and run the BlackBerry Virtual Expert and see what it says about your battery - https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...lackberry.bbve In either case, if the results aren't good, you're looking at a repair or replacement of the device.
    08-21-18 09:24 AM
    Thanks so much Bla1ze! The battery test said battery charging was ok. (you are right about battery - is wearing out and needs multiple charges during day. Can't decide if battery is worth replacing with $25 PRIV battery charge and $25 - $30 installation.
    Connected to computer and "Connection States" has been running for several minutes and here are results; Current State - No connection USB computer charge - Waiting AC Charge - Paused
    USB disconnect - Paused
    So it isn't connecting properly to computer, and some chargers so perhaps you are right. Can I also get a new USB port for PRIV? Don't want to switch from Blackberry and want a bigger screen than KEY 2, and its cost. Hoping EVOLVE and EVOLVE Plus will be made available in US.
    Last edited by gbarnes93; 08-22-18 at 12:00 AM. Reason: wanted to mention Bla1ze's name. appreciated him taking the time to answer my post. it really helped.
    08-21-18 03:41 PM
    No, the problem is with the Priv, not the computer or charger, and it's unlikely the problem is with the battery. Mine suddenly developed the same charging problem, and charging now depends upon whether or not the 2 data lines in the USB connector are connected or not. On chargers that connect only the 2 (outer) power lines, the Priv will typically charge-but at a low (300ma) rate. On chargers that try to set the charge rate higher by negotiating via the two data lines, the Priv will momentarily indicate charging and then immediately indicate "charging disconnected".

If however one very slowly and carefully inserts the cable (at either end-charger or Priv) you can find a "half-way point" (before the data lines connect) where the Priv will charge, but again only at the low rate.

In my unit, the data lines do work properly for data transfer, so the internal switch that changes those lines from charge rate negotiation to data transfer seems to be OK.

So, while I've partially answered the questions above, I still have my own unresolved one: is my problem hardware or software, and in any case, what can I do about it? A complete wipe, reboot, and restore didn't help at all.

The Priv remains usable and I charge it overnight via a charger that doesn't address the USB data lines. However, it's easy, such as with Google Maps in the car, for the Priv to use more current than the charger delivers, so hence a slow discharge under those conditions.

Lastly, the phone seems to charge normally and at full rate via a wireless (Qi) charger, further confusing where the problem is in my phone and whether it's hardware or software.

Any further thoughts would be appreciated...
    08-21-18 04:21 PM
    Thanks Erub1 !. We have similar problems with charging problems. I found some higher power chargers that work and a higher transfer rate USB connectors that work.

Main problem is it still won't "connect" to computer and thus will not charge either, so I don't get the prompt for charge and FTP from phone. Aggravating.

I won't do the reboot or restore, thanks to your comment.

The blackberry virtual expert for Connection states indicates the following:
    Current state - no connectin
    USB computer charge - waiting
    AC charge - paused
    USB disconnect - paused.

Wonder if the above is software related?
    08-22-18 12:12 AM
    I thought from your original email that we both had the same problem. But now it's distinctly possible that while the problems may have a common element, they're not the same; you've having some distinctly different anomalies than I am. (My only problem is USB charging.)

In light of those differences, while it didn't help for me, you might have better luck trying a complete wipe and reset to factory original. I'm guessing that it won't help and it is time consuming, but your problem is sufficiently different that I don't rule out the possibility it'll work.

However, what both of us need, but probably can't get, is a block diagram of the phone, and also access to the "BIOS-level" (before Android loads) firmware, which may not be reset by the higher level reset option available to us. Even better would be someone @ BlackBerry who actually knows what going on inside.

Incidentally, I have two BlackBerry motherboards that I got without the operating system installed, and they seemed to accept the system image I loaded from BB's web site. However they won't start Android, and it seems (from other info on a different blog), that Privs have protection against loading an earlier version of an operating system, and that prevents reversion to the Android version the phone shipped with. Apparently my only hope is if BB posts a later/latest version of Android.

That's a long, and hopefully understandable way of saying why I won't try to reload the whole operating system on my one working BB; I'm afraid that even if that would fix the charging problem, I wouldn't be able to start the phone.

Bottom line: seems as though we both need someone with deeper knowledge, and/or someone who is capable of repairs at a reasonable price. (Do you or any of the other contributors know of any such facility?)
    08-23-18 04:28 PM