hi all

just a question about the blackberry slider and its login details ,and what I mean is when you are setting the phone up for the first time are you going to be able to login to google with your blackberry id to get into the apps and everything else or are going to have to setup a goggle account (sorry if this just me been a donut) ?
    09-26-15 01:10 AM
    HTC has me use a google account for GPS and an HTC account if I want HTC services. You have to use a google account, but the HTC one is optional, I'm sure the Slider will be the same.
    09-26-15 01:20 AM
    You'll probably have to set up a Google account which isn't bad. Especially if you want to back up your stuff. I have all contacts, calendar appointments, notes (via Google keep) and photos all backed up using my Google account which is convenient. It's also pretty nice being able to access this stuff from your computer. Say you don't have your phone with you, you can just log into your Gmail account go to calendars and add whatever entries.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
    09-26-15 02:21 AM
    You can't use Goog Play without a Google account. Besides, every Android phone I have used required a Gmail account during set up.
    09-26-15 04:22 AM
    You'll probably have to set up a Google account which isn't bad. Especially if you want to back up your stuff. I have all contacts, calendar appointments, notes (via Google keep) and photos all backed up using my Google account which is convenient. It's also pretty nice being able to access this stuff from your computer. Say you don't have your phone with you, you can just log into your Gmail account go to calendars and add whatever entries.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
    I can do all this with my outlook account
    09-26-15 08:36 AM
    I can do all this with my outlook account
    But you can't use Google play with an outlook account to my knowledge lol
    will308 likes this.
    09-26-15 09:07 AM
    BlackBerry ID for the phone, BBM, BES
    Google ID for the Appstore, Google Services

Workhorse: BlackBerry|Q10, SQN100-3, OS 10.3.2.2639; Power Workhorse: BlackBerry|Passport, SQW100-1, OS 10.3.2.2639 ; Germany.
    09-26-15 09:14 AM
    Currently you just sign in with your bbid for bbm and I am guessing that is the way it will stay as the hub still would require login with all other accounts.

BES is completely different animal as it is

There are rumors of a data stored on a BB cloud instead of Google BUT that is still big rumor
    09-26-15 09:17 AM
    Currently you just sign in with your bbid for bbm and I am guessing that is the way it will stay as the hub still would require login with all other accounts.

BES is completely different animal as it is

There are rumors of a data stored on a BB cloud instead of Google BUT that is still big rumor
    I hope it supports BlackBerry Protect!

Workhorse: BlackBerry|Q10, SQN100-3, OS 10.3.2.2639; Power Workhorse: BlackBerry|Passport, SQW100-1, OS 10.3.2.2639 ; Germany.
    09-26-15 09:43 AM
    With my last Android (summer 2014) and previous years you could by pass the "Google Account" login by simply skipping over it. Of course, logging in to Google was required with the Play Store. And I am going to write this again: no matter how much Google tells you otherwise Google Maps works just fine without Google Services.

I believe things changed with Lollipop as they redesigned the initial setup steps AND it might be a regional thing as Google Play is not in every country. Anyways, some people now say that you absolutely have to log into your Google Account/Gmail upon set up and others kinda say no suggesting that you can do it but the skip button may be hidden.

You will absolutely need to log in with BBID for things like BBM. Whether or not you could use BBM solely for all PIM is still unknown but you should be able to use any service for PIM on Android with only Google Accounts/Gmail allowing access to Play Store purchases.
    09-26-15 10:17 AM
    But you can't use Google play with an outlook account to my knowledge lol
    Funny enough, you can. I do.. I don't own a GMAIL account, but I do own an Outlook.com account that is also tied to Google Play. I use it in my Note 5...
    howarmat likes this.
    09-27-15 12:39 AM
    Funny enough, you can. I do.. I don't own a GMAIL account, but I do own an Outlook.com account that is also tied to Google Play. I use it in my Note 5...
    how is that ?
    09-27-15 01:20 AM
    I 'added' my Outlook.com account as a 'Google' account. In doing so, I get Google Drive, Docs, Google Play, etc.

how is that ?
    09-28-15 07:04 AM
    On Google Play Store some apps and services are country restricted.

That means that apps and services for Americans only, are not available for the rest of the world to download or use.
    They won't even show up in GPS for people living outside U.S.A.
    09-28-15 07:58 AM
    I 'added' my Outlook.com account as a 'Google' account. In doing so, I get Google Drive, Docs, Google Play, etc. Originally Posted by will308 how is that ?
    ah right nice way of doing it
    09-28-15 09:11 AM
    I remember when I set up my son's Galaxy S2 several years back that it forced us to create a Gmail account. It would not accept an existing Google account tied to an existing ISP email account that was created years earlier before there was Gmail. My wife set one up just to get past that point of setting up the phone. I refused to set up a Gmail account in my name.

Has the Gmail requirement changed in recent years? Because I don't know.

I can access Google Play using my old original non-Gmail Google account using Cobalt's patched Google Play and services apps on my Z10. It would be nice if I can do the same on an actual BlackBerry android phone.

While the Priv has my interest, if a Gmail account is still a requirement during setup, I may have to pass.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-15 09:50 AM