Hi,

I already renamed my device in Bluetooth, WiFi and Mobile Hotspot. The "original name" is nevertheless still displayed when it comes to other network connections (shell, FTP, AirDroid etc).

Is there a way to centrally rename the device?

Cheers
    Vince
    11-17-17 07:11 AM
    Hi Vince,

Try settings - Bluetooth - 3 dots top corner there should be an option to re-name device.
    11-17-17 09:42 AM
    Hi,

I already renamed my device in Bluetooth, WiFi and Mobile Hotspot. The "original name" is nevertheless still displayed when it comes to other network connections (shell, FTP, AirDroid etc).

Is there a way to centrally rename the device?

Cheers
    Vince
    Name it George...
    11-17-17 09:45 AM
    Hi Vince,

Try settings - Bluetooth - 3 dots top corner there should be an option to re-name device.
    Bluetooth and the other mentioned settings are already adjusted. The device is still showing itself in certain network contexts as "BlackBerry STV100-4" - which is quite annoying. Any other suggestions?

(Sorry for the late replay, I was caught in "exceeded spam threshold" - it is obviously only possible to post three times a day, when you have a low activity / newcomer profile.)
    11-17-17 11:49 AM
    You have to enable devlopper mode on your phone.
    To do that go to Settings > About phone > and tap 4 or more times in a row Build number.

Be carefull, once activated, devlopper mode cannot be disabled and your DTek application will not be happy about that.

Enabling devlopper mode will allow you to change the Hostname.
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    11-18-17 01:20 PM
    You have to enable devlopper mode on your phone.
    To do that go to Settings > About phone > and tap 4 or more times in a row Build number.

Be carefull, once activated, devlopper mode cannot be disabled and your DTek application will not be happy about that.

Enabling devlopper mode will allow you to change the Hostname.
    I successfully enabled the Developer Mode, but I cannot find the place, where I could change the name of the device from STV100-4 to the desired name - could you point me into the right direction please?
    11-20-17 04:10 AM
    why can't you turn developer mode off - not that you would want too as there are other settings I tweaked to help my PRIV run better when it was my daily driver.
    11-20-17 08:29 AM
    I successfully enabled the Developer Mode, but I cannot find the place, where I could change the name of the device from STV100-4 to the desired name - could you point me into the right direction please?
    I agree, this is especially annoying when you have two Privs in the household. My impression was that device names can't be changed in Android, and like Vince I can't find any option for doing so even with Developer Mode activated.
    11-20-17 02:16 PM
    I agree, this is especially annoying when you have two Privs in the household. My impression was that device names can't be changed in Android, and like Vince I can't find any option for doing so even with Developer Mode activated.
    It should be possible - at least it is still a Linux underneath and it should be changeable with hostname or in some configuration files. It is still odd though; to the best of my knowledge other phones are renameable - aren't they?
    11-24-17 03:41 PM
    I cannot believe that there is no way known to change STV100-4 into something meaningful. I am about to switch from one PRIV to a new PRIV - and I would love to know how to achieve this before setting up the new device ... still hoping ...
    01-17-18 04:05 PM
    Worse than that is that android-1234567890 number. Like you'll know which of your devices that is???

Talk about a worthless way to identify a device.
    01-18-18 02:48 AM
    Worse than that is that android-1234567890 number. Like you'll know which of your devices that is???

Talk about a worthless way to identify a device.
    True ... that also forces me everytime to check each device's IP setting in order to identify who is who ...
    01-18-18 07:54 AM
    That's Android for you... the device name can't be changed. I read somewhere that there is a way to do it but it requires rooting, which we all know it's impossible with a BlackBerry.
    01-18-18 11:37 AM
    You can do it in BlackBerry Link (Desktop software).
    01-18-18 11:46 AM
    You can do it in BlackBerry Link (Desktop software).
    Link is for BB10 devices.
    01-18-18 12:11 PM
    Link is for BB10 devices.
    Yes, you are right.
    01-18-18 12:29 PM
    _sigh_ - okay, so it seems to be rather an Android than a BBPriv issue - it is really a shame.
    01-19-18 04:38 PM
    _sigh_ - okay, so it seems to be rather an Android than a BBPriv issue - it is really a shame.
    Yep, it is an Android limitation. (a ridiculous one)
    01-19-18 04:46 PM