I personally think they wasted money on that curved screen. Make it a traditional flat screen and save the money for a slightly cheaper device. But I'll reserve judgement till they explain how they are utilizing the screen.
    10-19-15 11:22 AM
    I personally think they wasted money on that curved screen. Make it a traditional flat screen and save the money for a slightly cheaper device. But I'll reserve judgement till they explain how they are utilizing the screen.
    Maybe they got a real deal from Samsung for those screens. Too good to pass up compared to the litany of specs that the Priv has (it's a fancy screen that gets double-takes from Android fanboys I'd bet).

Posted via CB10
    10-19-15 11:54 AM
    Maybe they got a real deal from Samsung for those screens. Too good to pass up compared to the litany of specs that the Priv has (it's a fancy screen that gets double-takes from Android fanboys I'd bet).

Posted via CB10
    People are already backing off when they heard the $949/$749 price.
    10-19-15 11:55 AM
    It is a truly beautiful device and based on the BlackBerry's long history of making nice devices, I will give it a 700-USD price tag. But if, hopefully not, it does exceed the amount, I will seriously think about switching to iPhone since it is the spec back to five month ago, and it is an Android. You have to talk about spec when you buy an Android. They make the change, and they live with the consequence.

Posted via CB10
    10-19-15 12:05 PM
    I've been searching for a 'plan b' a phone I will buy in case the price of the priv is 800+ and so far nothing. The new flagships coming out are either too big or come inferior when compared to the priv.

I came to a conclusion even if the price of the priv is 800+ I'm still getting it...no other (android) phone can match what that phone is offering (native android hub, pkb, battery life, beautiful looking)

Am I right or wrong?
    Aside from the price, what worries me is how updates will be handled. My 2014 Verizon Moto X just got EOL'd and it's barely a year old, so I'm really thinking of going Nexus-only now. I like the Priv's battery and hub, but I'd rather have timely updates if I had to choose.
    Adam Frix likes this.
    10-19-15 12:21 PM
    People are already backing off when they heard the $949/$749 price.
    The $949/$749 estimates had the VAT included which is not charged in Canada or the US. A fairer estimate would be $885/$685 and that's assuming the same pricing model, generally Canadian and US pricing is set lower than Europe so $795-$849/$625-$675 wouldn't be out of order. Still a hefty price in Canada with it's collapsing dollar against pretty much every other currency out there.
    10-19-15 12:26 PM
    The $949/$749 estimates had the VAT included which is not charged in Canada or the US. A fairer estimate would be $885/$685 and that's assuming the same pricing model, generally Canadian and US pricing is set lower than Europe so $795-$849/$625-$675 wouldn't be out of order yet still hefty in Canada with it's deflating dollar.
    No. With VAT gave $1072 CAD.

579 GBP minus 20% = 483 GBP

483 GBP = 749 USD = 949 CAD

And actually it's charged, just not included in the price as it varies by province/state. The only thing I did not factor is potentially CPW's markup, which seems like around $100 CAD during launch period.
    10-19-15 12:28 PM
    There's nothing like it????
    To each their own, I am so glad I got the BB10 Silver Passport ....my all time smartphone with everything in one place and zero problems.
    Hope you enjoy the Priv
    10-19-15 12:56 PM
    I've been searching for a 'plan b' a phone I will buy in case the price of the priv is 800+ and so far nothing. The new flagships coming out are either too big or come inferior when compared to the priv.

I came to a conclusion even if the price of the priv is 800+ I'm still getting it...no other (android) phone can match what that phone is offering (native android hub, pkb, battery life, beautiful looking)

Am I right or wrong?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    As someone who has never owned and iPhone and Android, I think $800+ is a tad high for this phone. If it's much more than $800 I will have serious sticker shock and will likely hold on to my Passport until BB comes to their senses.
    10-19-15 04:27 PM
    I'm hoping snobs buy it as a status symbol.
    10-19-15 05:33 PM
    Woweee... some MSW degree candidate can track the Priv sales & calculate the number of snobs in Canada...

I'm hoping snobs buy it as a status symbol.
    extisis likes this.
    10-19-15 05:38 PM

Am I right or wrong?

Respectfully, I think you are wrong. It's my understanding that the Hub will be offered to Android and iOS users who do not purchase the Priv as part of the BlackBerry Experience suite of apps. If you subtract the curved screen and physical keyboard -- and the latter is a big part of the draw of the Priv, immediately -- you are probably talking about a device that should sell for around $400. Over the last couple of months it's become clear that early issues with the 810 overheating have been solved in phones such as the OnePlus 2 and Lumia 950XL. The only released benchmarks for the Priv showing it perform about where the OnePlus One does -- which is last year's device and one you can purchase for about $199 or $250 new these days. I think the Priv competes well with big brand phones that came out about six months ago, but if you are looking for an Android, I think we'll see the LG G5 with an 820 coming out around April 2016 and that should blow away the Priv. The Priv is also rumored to have a subpar forward-facing camera and other issues. I think the Priv is a good choice for people who can't bring themselves to buy a better phone that doesn't say BlackBerry on it -- even though, the Priv is basically an Android phone with a physical keyboard and not a BlackBerry platform device. I kind of hope that we see Jolla Sailfish take off or Windows 10 mobile take off with the upcoming Surface Phone.

I think Chen is a joke and what he's done to BlackBerry should have gotten him fired long ago. But, I don't think a Priv at $500 or $550 is a bad deal, at all. I'd probably buy one for that and just refuse to look in the mirror for the next couple of days.
    10-19-15 06:18 PM
    And this is where the problem lies with society. Convenience, everyone wants it. True that it's hard to copy a fingerprint, but at least passwords can change, fingerprints cannot

Posted via CB10
    +1,000,000,000,000,000
    Point IS NOT if/how it's easy to fake, it's how it'll be SECURED when hosted remotely.
    Please, listen to the old guy. For once.

That's what's pinned on my TW account
    10-20-15 03:20 AM
    +1,000,000,000,000,000
    Point IS NOT if/how it's easy to fake, it's how it'll be SECURED when hosted remotely.
    Please, listen to the old guy. For once.

That's what's pinned on my TW account
    I still think most consumers are happy without locking their phones... using a fingerprint is a fairly easy thing, yet many don't even do that.

Yes for true security it isn't good enough, and it' not a feature that Enterprise even wants. But it can easily be disable in a enterprise environment.

I think it's better to have the "option" than not to offer it at all.... especially if you are going to price your phones at the top end of the spectrum.

And as an "old guy" you might would appreciate the heart rate sensor that is usually a part of that package.... especially when the PRIV sales figures start showing up.
    10-20-15 09:35 AM
    Respectfully, I think you are wrong. It's my understanding that the Hub will be offered to Android and iOS users who do not purchase the Priv as part of the BlackBerry Experience suite of apps. If you subtract the curved screen and physical keyboard -- and the latter is a big part of the draw of the Priv, immediately -- you are probably talking about a device that should sell for around $400. Over the last couple of months it's become clear that early issues with the 810 overheating have been solved in phones such as the OnePlus 2 and Lumia 950XL. The only released benchmarks for the Priv showing it perform about where the OnePlus One does -- which is last year's device and one you can purchase for about $199 or $250 new these days. I think the Priv competes well with big brand phones that came out about six months ago, but if you are looking for an Android, I think we'll see the LG G5 with an 820 coming out around April 2016 and that should blow away the Priv. The Priv is also rumored to have a subpar forward-facing camera and other issues. I think the Priv is a good choice for people who can't bring themselves to buy a better phone that doesn't say BlackBerry on it -- even though, the Priv is basically an Android phone with a physical keyboard and not a BlackBerry platform device. I kind of hope that we see Jolla Sailfish take off or Windows 10 mobile take off with the upcoming Surface Phone.

I think Chen is a joke and what he's done to BlackBerry should have gotten him fired long ago. But, I don't think a Priv at $500 or $550 is a bad deal, at all. I'd probably buy one for that and just refuse to look in the mirror for the next couple of days.
    After giving some thought I came to the conclusion that you sir...are correct. That is why I am turning my eyes to the OnePlus one with the purchase of the BB suite when it's available.
    Cheaper solution and does the samething.

10-20-15 09:41 AM
    If BlackBerry wanted a wow, they could use the crappy front camera to authenticate via retinal scan... a descent front camera would have done better...
    Na.... then the bad guys would just steal your eyeball.

This is a dumb argument... it's an optional feature, if someone doesn't feel it's secure enough, those devices all have the ability to use a password. But for those that want more security than... nothing. Fingerprint reader is good enough for the average consumer.

There was a poll once here on the number of BB10 users that didn't lock their phone.... almost 50% don't do it. But if they had a fingerprint reader I bet some of them would add that simple layer of basic security.
    10-20-15 11:32 AM
    And as an "old guy" you might would appreciate the heart rate sensor that is usually a part of that package.... especially when the PRIV sales figures start showing up.
    What am I supposed to do with this ? Monitor my heart beat ? Is that a real selling advantage ?
    I get that "if apple and Samy do ..." argument. But BlackBerry is all about security, right ?
    Shall we balance it with a gadget at the risk of such a magnitude nightmare ?

It's not BlackBerry alone. It's the whole electronic world that is affected.
    As of date, they've (OPM) not even been smart enough to encrypt it ... speaks volume about blindness.

Here's more, to illustrate what I'm talking about (and sorry guys for the OT) :
    OPM Now Admits 5.6m Feds' Fingerprints Were Stolen By Hackers | WIRED
    When hackers steal your password, you change it. When hackers steal your fingerprints, they’ve got an unchangeable credential that lets them spoof your identity for life. When they steal 5.6 million of those irrevocable biometric identifiers from U.S. federal employees—many with secret clearances—well, that’s very bad.

Edit :
    Na.... then the bad guys would just steal your eyeball.
    Yup. Eyeball, face recognition : whatever is UNIQUE and UNCHANGEABLE but digitally stored is a massive threat.
    10-20-15 11:38 AM
    if someone doesn't feel it's secure enough, those devices all have the ability to use a password. But for those that want more security than... nothing. Fingerprint reader is good enough for the average consumer.
    Attachment 376634
    10-20-15 11:44 AM
    I've heard it's as easy as getting your hands on a print and some type of graphite powder. Plus think about it. What's more secure, a password thats in your head, or a fingerprint that someone could forcibly make you input?
    yeah right you unlock phone with your finger under duress but you will not tell your password under similar circumstances..I guess if someone put a gun in your head you have no problem unlocking the phone with your fingertip but you will not tell your password, right? LOL

ususal story if it is not on a BB it is not secure..I bet if the fingerprint reader was on the Priv you would say it was secure(which it is)
    10-21-15 01:04 PM
    No. I won't. Unless something really innovative changes my POV.
    (edited) And, again, it's not about fingerprint on device only. It's for remotely stored ones I'm worried about.
    Posted via CB10
    10-21-15 01:12 PM
    yeah right you unlock phone with your finger under duress but you will not tell your password under similar circumstances..I guess if someone put a gun in your head you have no problem unlocking the phone with your fingertip but you will not tell your password, right? LOL

ususal story if it is not on a BB it is not secure..I bet if the fingerprint reader was on the Priv you would say it was secure(which it is)
    That person holding that gun to your head would prefer your phone be fingerprint protected, than password protected. If they shoot you in the head, what good does that do for them? How then do they get in your phone when it's password protected? Can't say the same thing with a fingerprint. With all that said, I really don't care. I don't even password protect my phone. Password just seems more secure imo.
    10-21-15 02:55 PM
    Looks wise i think it's boring. Hopefully it's better in real life. Price wise it should be closer to $600.

Posted via CB10
    10-21-15 04:05 PM
    I am going to buy one and I am hoping for the 649 or 699 price US, hopefully we will find out in the next couple of weeks.
    Last time you've wrote you will be getting more than 1...4? Come on. Stop the fake words!!!

Posted via PP
    10-21-15 04:12 PM
    Uhmm he's been a member for a really long time and if the price is right, I have no doubts that he would buy more than one to spread the words around.

Last time you've wrote you will be getting more than 1...4? Come on. Stop the fake words!!!

Posted via PP

To BB or not to BBBBBB...?
    10-21-15 04:41 PM
    It's not because of technical or legal implications... it's out of principle. I'd like to keep biometrics out of my life as much as possible.... :-)

I feel biometrics take away from our human dignity. But that's just me and doesn't need to be discussed here...

�   Ahoy, Privateers...! :-)   �
    They're to young to have read 1984 in grade school. Your opinions and decisions are influenced from you past experiences.

PIN 2COF829A
    10-21-15 04:54 PM
111 ... 2345