Hi all,

This post is for all PRIV lovers who do not feel left out and who are confused like me to give up on the PRIV or to hold on.

I got my PRIV replaced the very last week it's support ended as I had a warranty exchange RMA option and received a new/ refurbished PRIV. It looked unused and I love it.

As support ended and as the apps started opening slow and the phone showing signs of aging, I still feel there is no other phone in the market like the PRIV. The battery life has been very poor with the phone usually shutting down at the end of the day as I leave work, but I have made it a point to keep a charger handy and charge at work. I have been taking photos at all light settings recently and discovering that the camera is indeed good when all the settings and options are used to capture a photo.

I have started using the PKB extensively now, trust me I am never a PKB user and bought the PRIV only for the looks and style and as I type this entire post on the PKB, I should say that.... I am loving it.

Numerous time I have started to Google on the next iPhone and the next galaxy phone and even thought the mind want the best higher best feature in a phone, the heart still wants to stick to the PRIV. It sure is a beauty.

I am a game lover and a news reader, but the battery drain playing games and constant new app refreshes have taken a toll and I have now started to not use these anymore on the PRIV. The Google News app seem sufficient and not drain battery out as of now.

Overall the phone is slow when compared to other phones, but hey... slowness comes with age and the PRIV has aged gracefully. True there was the awful battery drain and sluggishness and other pitfalls, but overall the PRIV works as a phone and I have accepted to like it the way it is.

Hope this post projects few aspects if not all of PRIV owners like me. I will be sticking to the phone as long as I can.

Share your views, or more so your love for the PRIV here.
    Last edited by raj1802; 07-19-18 at 11:58 AM.
    Qorax, vincentkong and Ginowine like this.
    07-13-18 09:08 AM
    Imagine how I like the Priv that I have 5 of them.

it has its cons but the generous Display and having a nice PKB is something no other Android BlackBerry can offer.

in my most used Priv keyboard statistics show : 350 words vkb and 238000 words PKB.

regards
    Qorax and B1aize like this.
    07-13-18 10:26 AM
    I like my Priv a lot, especially the screen. if you reload the software it will run faster. That being said, my soon to be next phone won't be a BlackBerry. I'm looking at the Pixel series for the 3 years of security updates. This is where BlackBerry failed for me. They did 2 years to the date of release pretty well, with one security update thrown in after. I bought mine two summers ago so I got a year and a half of updates. Not good enough.
    07-13-18 01:29 PM
    I just replaced my PRIV with a key2 the other day. I really didn't want to. The only reason that I did was because my wife needed to replace her crappy iPhone. We got a way better plan if we both upgraded our phones. I still feel guilty. I absolutely LOVE my PRIV. Don't get me wrong, the key2 is pretty sweet. way faster, way better keyboard, but feels really small, and the screen is no where near as good. I kind of want to switch back
    07-15-18 03:51 AM
    I like my Priv a lot, especially the screen. if you reload the software it will run faster. That being said, my soon to be next phone won't be a BlackBerry. I'm looking at the Pixel series for the 3 years of security updates. This is where BlackBerry failed for me. They did 2 years to the date of release pretty well, with one security update thrown in after. I bought mine two summers ago so I got a year and a half of updates. Not good enough.
    I'm probably on the same boat, but going a Nokia mid-range instead, unless another slider shows up from someone. I want to give money to BlackBerry Mobile for building a PKB, but I can't support BlackBerry Limited's arrogance.

Hopefully my "refurbished" Priv can make it run another year or two and give me time to wean off the keyboard.
    gebco likes this.
    07-15-18 07:43 AM
    BlackBerry Mobile guarantees 3 years of security updates on their phones, so KEYone/KEY2 will get 3 years starting from time of release. This is confirmed because they need to have this in order to be in the Android Enterprise recommended program.
    07-15-18 10:58 AM
    Yes, you're right about the updates. But when BlackBerry abandoned the Priv, it got me looking elsewhere and evaluating how I use my phone. And I've come to realize that I love the gorgeous screen on the Priv compared to the KeyOne of which we have two in our household. Knowing that the Pixel phones were going to get three years of timely updates I started looking at them. I want security. I want the big screen. I want the amazing camera it offers. And I can still blackerrify it.
    If there was a Priv 2 or a Motion 2 with nice screen and even a decent camera along with a promise of 3 years of updates I would consider it. But alas. . .

BlackBerry Mobile guarantees 3 years of security updates on their phones, so KEYone/KEY2 will get 3 years starting from time of release. This is confirmed because they need to have this in order to be in the Android Enterprise recommended program.
    07-15-18 11:08 AM
    We'll see how much teeth that program actually has. Probably nothing for breaching the requirements, considering the KEYone has breached the 90-day monthly updates multiple times, it's probably at most just a slap in the wrist or a cake that says "At Least You Tried".

Unenforced requirements are not requirements.
    07-15-18 11:11 AM
    I'm probably on the same boat, but going a Nokia mid-range instead, unless another slider shows up from someone. I want to give money to BlackBerry Mobile for building a PKB, but I can't support BlackBerry Limited's arrogance.

Hopefully my "refurbished" Priv can make it run another year or two and give me time to wean off the keyboard.
    What's your Nokia mid-range choice "Nokia 7 plus", thinking of getting one for a friend.

I'll stay on PRIV for now.
    07-15-18 11:36 AM
    I've had my Priv since launch November 2015 and it's the longest I've had any BlackBerry device, or any phone previous to going with BlackBerry in 2005. Yes, it has it's issues, but I feel it's still a fantastic device despite some of it's faults. The pros outweigh the cons.

As much as I wanted a KEYone I held off and I'm glad I did... I was hoping the KEY2 would be the BlackBerry device I would transition to from my Priv. However, from all I've read here on CB it isn't looking the the KEY2 will be the device I will replace my Priv with.

Even if I wanted a KEY2 it appears the inventory is in short supply similar to the KEYone release. I find this to be a huge disappointment but probably a blessing after reading a number of the hands on reviews here on CB from Forum members.

So I will plod along with my Priv it appears until things get sorted out with the KEY2, if TCL/BBMo can manage that, and continue to explore my options. I just can't convince myself spending $650.00 on a KEY2 is the way to go... at least for me personally. There are much better options in the marketplace but unfortunately not with a PKB.

Bob
    07-15-18 12:16 PM
    What's your Nokia mid-range choice "Nokia 7 plus", thinking of getting one for a friend.

I'll stay on PRIV for now.
    I might even go down to the 6.1, lol. Best bang for the buck. 7 Plus if your friend likes phablets.
    07-15-18 01:46 PM
    my PRIV took a bad drop and the screen is showing one hairline crack. other than the dead pixels along the crack, it is still functioning as normal.

will hang on to my PRIV till Key2 or something new has had a price drop.. haha. I think the PRIV can last that long
    07-16-18 04:51 AM
    Hi all,

This post is for all PRIV lovers who do not feel left out and who are confused like me to give up on the PRIV or to hold on.

I got my PRIV replaced the very last week it's support ended as I had a warranty exchange RMA option and received a new/ refurbished PRIV. It looked unused and I love it.

As support ended and as the apps started opening slow and the phone showing signs of aging, I still feel there is no other phone in the market like the PRIV. The battery life has been very poor with the phone usually shutting down at the end of the day as I leave work, but I have made it a point to keep a charger handy and charge at work. I have been taking photos at all light settings recently and discovering that the camera is indeed good when all the settings and options are used to capture a photo.

I have started using the PKB extensively now, trust me I am never a PKB user and bought the PRIV only for the looks and style and as I type this entire post on the PKB, I should say that.... I am loving it.

Numerous time I have started to Google on the next iPhone and the next galaxy phone and even thought the mind want the best higher best feature in a phone, the heart still wants to stick to the PRIV. It sure is a beauty.

I am a game lover and a news reader, but the battery drain playing games and constant new app refreshes have taken a toll and I have now started to not use these anymore on the PRIV. The Google News app seem sufficient and not drain battery out as of now.

Overall the phone is slow when compared to other phones, but hey... slowness comes with age and the PRIV has aged gracefully. True there was the awful battery drain and sluggishness and other pitfalls, but overall the PRIV works as a phone and I have accepted to like it the way it is.

So hope this post projects few aspects if not all of PRIV owners like me. I will be sticking to the phone as long as I can.

Share your views, or more so your love for the PRIV here.
    Great post! I bought a new priv yesterday for 180 bux and I am loving it..got this after selling my key2 which was not a well made phone..but I am glad I bought the priv is so unique looking and the screen is phenomenal.. Blows the keyones screens out of the water
    07-17-18 02:11 PM
    I'm holding on to my Priv as well
    07-17-18 09:24 PM
    I was just given a used Priv. It is a good looking device. Two caveats though:

1) Getting past the Google page during setup was a major chore, since it kept asking me for the previous owner's Google account. I managed to bypass in the end, but it took a few hours. Maybe I should post the steps in case some future owner of a used Priv encounters the same problem.

2) Uh, the Priv corrupted the SD card. Hm. I've heard this about the Priv. I reformatted the card on my desktop and will try to insert it back in while the phone is completely off to see if that fixes the issue.

Other than that, the Priv feels great in my hand, has good weight balance, and has a great screen.
    07-17-18 10:26 PM

1) Getting past the Google page during setup was a major chore, since it kept asking me for the previous owner's Google account. I managed to bypass in the end, but it took a few hours. Maybe I should post the steps in case some future owner of a used Priv encounters the same problem.

2) Uh, the Priv corrupted the SD card. Hm. I've heard this about the Priv. I reformatted the card on my desktop and will try to insert it back in while the phone is completely off to see if that fixes the issue.

Other than that, the Priv feels great in my hand, has good weight balance, and has a great screen.
    That thing you bypassed is a security feature, it's supposed to that. Previous owner should have deleted all Google accounts off it first before handing it over.
    07-17-18 10:50 PM
    That thing you bypassed is a security feature, it's supposed to that. Previous owner should have deleted all Google accounts off it first before handing it over.
    Nevertheless would it be interesting to see how to get around it and have a usable device afterwards.
    07-17-18 11:06 PM

The thing with this device is if you happen to get a model with no issues then it's an amazing the phone. The chip set ..camera quality..video quality..the screen are all better then the keyones..but it's a gamble on whether the phone won't have the issues..i got very lucky I have a mint condition one and honestly I love it and I am keeping it for a long time because like I said before the key2 just feels so cheap compared to this device
    07-17-18 11:08 PM
    My SD card works now. I inserted the card while the phone was all off, was asked by the priv to download some eFat(?) file, and voila, it worked.

I know the google thing a is a security feature vs. theft, but boy it was annoying. Luckily, I found a youtube video that offered a solution that worked with android 6.01 and 2017 security patch.

The priv has the best vkb I’ve ever used, and I usually hate those. I am surprised that I don’t use the Priv’s pkb much yet!

My priv is in pristine shape, previous owner kept very good care of it.
    newcollector likes this.
    07-18-18 12:27 AM
    My SD card works now. I inserted the card while the phone was all off, was asked by the priv to download some eFat(?) file, and voila, it worked.

I know the google thing a is a security feature vs. theft, but boy it was annoying. Luckily, I found a youtube video that offered a solution that worked with android 6.01 and 2017 security patch.

The priv has the best vkb I’ve ever used, and I usually hate those. I am surprised that I don’t use the Priv’s pkb much yet!

My priv is in pristine shape, previous owner kept very good care of it.
    Same with mine it literally looks brand new and it's about 2 years old..
    07-18-18 01:18 AM
    I've had my Priv since launch November 2015 and it's the longest I've had any BlackBerry device, or any phone previous to going with BlackBerry in 2005. Yes, it has it's issues, but I feel it's still a fantastic device despite some of it's faults. The pros outweigh the cons.

As much as I wanted a KEYone I held off and I'm glad I did... I was hoping the KEY2 would be the BlackBerry device I would transition to from my Priv. However, from all I've read here on CB it isn't looking the the KEY2 will be the device I will replace my Priv with.

Even if I wanted a KEY2 it appears the inventory is in short supply similar to the KEYone release. I find this to be a huge disappointment but probably a blessing after reading a number of the hands on reviews here on CB from Forum members.

So I will plod along with my Priv it appears until things get sorted out with the KEY2, if TCL/BBMo can manage that, and continue to explore my options. I just can't convince myself spending $650.00 on a KEY2 is the way to go... at least for me personally. There are much better options in the marketplace but unfortunately not with a PKB.

Bob
    Smart choice. The key2 is a weak device at best and does not have the premium feel of the priv.
    07-18-18 10:39 AM
    Smart choice. The key2 is a weak device at best and does not have the premium feel of the priv.
    I have no first hand experience or knowledge regarding the KEY2... I am only going off what I have read here on CB from people that have one. I'm fairly certain it is a decent device, but I'm hesitant to purchase one until I can get up close and personal.

Based on the internals, it will undoubtedly be an improvement over the Priv but I'm not convinced it will be all that significant unfortunately. I really enjoy the screen size on my Priv and the form factor being a slider. As I mentioned, it is getting laggy, and I've done a few factory resets over my almost 3 years of ownership, which helps freshen up the functionality of my Priv.

Despite some of the issues, it is still providing me good service. So unless the KEY2 excites me after I get an opportunity to use one, I will continue with my Priv.

Bob
    07-18-18 11:54 AM
    I have no first hand experience or knowledge regarding the KEY2... I am only going off what I have read here on CB from people that have one. I'm fairly certain it is a decent device, but I'm hesitant to purchase one until I can get up close and personal.

Based on the internals, it will undoubtedly be an improvement over the Priv but I'm not convinced it will be all that significant unfortunately. I really enjoy the screen size on my Priv and the form factor being a slider. As I mentioned, it is getting laggy, and I've done a few factory resets over my almost 3 years of ownership, which helps freshen up the functionality of my Priv.

Despite some of the issues, it is still providing me good service. So unless the KEY2 excites me after I get an opportunity to use one, I will continue with my Priv.

Bob
    Internally no doubt it runs faster etc..but IMO I would go for the keyone if I was you. You can get one at a much better price and despite what people say on here the build is not premium and not better than the keyone. Even the PKB is better on the keyone. The key2 I was so excited for owned it for a week or so and just hated everything about it from the crappy build..horrible camera..and creaky loud space bar
    07-18-18 02:23 PM
    I will be using my Priv as long as it will work or something like it comes along!
    07-18-18 02:36 PM
    Internally no doubt it runs faster etc..but IMO I would go for the keyone if I was you. You can get one at a much better price and despite what people say on here the build is not premium and not better than the keyone. Even the PKB is better on the keyone. The key2 I was so excited for owned it for a week or so and just hated everything about it from the crappy build..horrible camera..and creaky loud space bar
    I have read here on CB some comments regarding the build quality and keyboard being better on the KEYone versus the KEY2. On that note, I noticed yesterday AT&T has lowered the price on the KEYone by approximately $100.00 so now it's right at $400.00.

It might be worth getting one to try out and if I don't like the style and features of the KEYone I can always return it without a huge hassle. If I don't like the format, screen size, and camera for example on a KEYone, I highly doubt I would like the KEY2.

Bob
    07-18-18 03:09 PM
34 12