Starting this afternoon, randomly (and often), when I push the power button to unlock my Priv, the touch screen is frozen. The only thing I can do is hold the power button for 30 seconds to reboot. Even then, sometimes I have the same problem and have to reboot a second time before the touch screen works again. Does anyone know what is causing it and how to fix it? My phone is almost unusable at this point. I have Android version 5.1.1.
    05-05-16 10:59 PM
    How long have you had the phone? What kind of apps have you installed? All from Playstore or 3rd party sources?

You might look over these reboot options:

From BB blog: How to reset PRIV by BlackBerry | Inside BlackBerry Help Blog

Three restart/reboot methods

The first method, which should be used 99.9% of the time when you want to reboot your device, is using the Reboot option that appears after pressing the Power key.

Press and hold the Power key for 3 seconds
    Select Reboot from the menu that is presented

The second reset method should be used if pressing the Power key does not produce the menu with Power Off and Restart. For example, if an app or game you are using won’t close, use this option to restart your device.

Press and hold the Power key for 12 seconds

Third method: Should your device fail to respond, the final reset method is to press and hold the Power key for 32 seconds which is equivalent to removing the battery. This should result in your device booting up successfully.

If it fails to start, however, verify you are not pressing any other keys such as Volume Up, Mute, or Volume Down while performing any of the reset methods listed above. If you use a case for your device you may want to remove it as it might be pressing a button inadvertently.

If you don't have a lot of data on the phone you could try reloading the OS using an Autoloader found in one of the Stickies at the top of the forum.
    05-06-16 12:25 AM
    Sounds like you got a virus. And your screen works fine (some of the time) try deleting any file mgmt or antivirus programs you may have installed unexpectedly 'like' a similar app but not an official app. Or if that doesnt work, malwarebytes always successfully removed any malware. 3rd tool you can use is the autoloader flash.bat file on windows to wipe your phone clean and reinstall a new copy of Android Lollipop all together.
    05-06-16 12:42 AM
    Mine is the same but I am running Marshmallow. I assumed it might be app problems so did a factory wipe but it didn't help. Also tried the mm autoloader which didn't help either.

The problem still persists even with no apps installed. Definitely feels like a software issue and not hardware but am probably going to have to replace under warranty as I can't seem to get it fixed. Sometimes it is fine for a day and other times it does it frequently.

When the touchscreen is unresponsive, the hardware buttons still work fine and if you keep playing with it, sliding keyboard in and out, volume keys and power on and off for a few minutes it finally comes back and will work fine for a bit.

Always seems to do it when the screen is off and you try and wake it up again. Makes me wonder if it is a doze issue with mm.
    05-06-16 01:00 AM
    Hmm

Posted via CB10
    05-06-16 01:02 AM
    It may need a security if all other methods don't work. But of course try all methods to avoid this.

Posted via CB10
    05-06-16 01:03 AM
    Contact BlackBerry support send your logs they will determine it is hardware issue or software issue
    05-06-16 01:12 AM
    I've only had the phone a few months. I don't have a ton of apps and all are from the App Store. Each time this happens the only way I get my phone to work is by rebooting it (holding the power button for 30 seconds) TWICE. :-(
    05-06-16 09:52 AM
    Thanks for the tip. I just installed malwarebytes and it found no viruses.
    05-06-16 09:52 AM
    Contact BlackBerry support send your logs they will determine it is hardware issue or software issue
    I called BlackBerry Support this morning. Waiting for it to happen again so they can look at the logs. Of course, it hasn't happened in an hour since I called them....I'm sure it will happen soon, though.
    05-06-16 09:54 AM
    I called BB support. I sent them the logs on Friday morning. They finally got a response from an analyst, this morning (Monday). All they said was, "It is recommended to do a factory reset and do not restore data or apps. Try that for a day and make sure the issue is gone. Then slowly add apps back." Ugh! I could have done that myself on Friday. I was really hoping they would tell me WHY.
    05-09-16 10:50 AM
    I called BB support. I sent them the logs on Friday morning. They finally got a response from an analyst, this morning (Monday). All they said was, "It is recommended to do a factory reset and do not restore data or apps. Try that for a day and make sure the issue is gone. Then slowly add apps back." Ugh! I could have done that myself on Friday. I was really hoping they would tell me WHY.
    Geez ... Standart reply I guess
    05-09-16 10:51 AM
    I know this is old but did you ever find a solution? I am having this exact issue.
    12-16-16 05:48 PM
    Just in case someone is looking at this later. I had this same problem as I stated earlier. The issue got worse and eventually the touch screen stopped working completely. I called BlackBerry support and they sent me a new phone since my phone was under warranty
    FF22 likes this.
    12-30-16 12:48 AM
    Mine is the same but I am running Marshmallow. I assumed it might be app problems so did a factory wipe but it didn't help. Also tried the mm autoloader which didn't help either.

The problem still persists even with no apps installed. Definitely feels like a software issue and not hardware but am probably going to have to replace under warranty as I can't seem to get it fixed. Sometimes it is fine for a day and other times it does it frequently.

When the touchscreen is unresponsive, the hardware buttons still work fine and if you keep playing with it, sliding keyboard in and out, volume keys and power on and off for a few minutes it finally comes back and will work fine for a bit.

Always seems to do it when the screen is off and you try and wake it up again. Makes me wonder if it is a doze issue with mm.
    This is exactly my case. It's unbelievably annoying
    01-24-17 01:35 AM
    This happened to my Priv too and I tried all the "tricks" to fix but no avail. Called TMO and they are sending me a replacement. Another week and my warrantee would have expired.
    02-08-17 02:50 PM
    OK, In case some one else faces this problem. I had the same problem and I did not have the change/warranty option. I have disabled most of the options I could and ended up with a stable phone. Then I started to enable those options and so far I think it is the Battery bar that causes the problem. This is the list of options that I have disabled:
    • I have reset apps preferences (Settings > Apps > from the ... menu, Reset app preferences)
    • Lift to wake (Settings > Display > Lift to wake)
    • Battery edge (Settings > Display > Battery edge)
    • Productivity tab (Settings > Display > Productivity tab)
    • Tap to wake (Settings > Display > Tap to wake)
    • Smart lock (Settings > Security > Smart lock) I have removed every settings.

Then I started to enable thing and by enabling the "Battery edge" (witch I don't care about!) the lock screen with no touch started to appear again. disabled it and enabled every thing again (except for "Productivity tab" that I don't use), and every thing seams normal. I have 66 hours up-time and have not seen the problem again.
    FF22 and Mirko935 like this.
    04-11-17 11:42 PM
    OK, That was not it. it is a hardware thing. It happend again today (just a few hours after posting the previous post!) and it happened realy bad. Touch screen was not working at all. So I hooked up a USB keyboard/mouse to the phone and ran a few testes using the "Blackberry Virtual Expert" app and test about the Slider failed. So I tried to find the Sliding sensor thing. Also I noticed the sliding movement is not quite soft. Then I found a youtube video about how to fix the screen clicking sound on the corner of the Priv. Guy on the video opened the slid and tried some twisting pressure to fix the clicking problem. I tried the twisting move and fixed the slid and now it slides smoothly. turned the phone off and on and it seams that every thing is ok.
    Now that I think, today I put a little pressure on the phone by putting it in my back pocket and sitting on it! Probably that is te reason the problem came back. And also I noticed the problem for the first time after I gave my phone to my one year old daughter! So... There is my problem. This phone is a little sensetive to be seated on!
    FF22 and kthhrrsn like this.
    04-12-17 10:25 AM
    OK, That was not it. it is a hardware thing. It happend again today (just a few hours after posting the previous post!) and it happened realy bad. Touch screen was not working at all. So I hooked up a USB keyboard/mouse to the phone and ran a few testes using the "Blackberry Virtual Expert" app and test about the Slider failed. So I tried to find the Sliding sensor thing. Also I noticed the sliding movement is not quite soft. Then I found a youtube video about how to fix the screen clicking sound on the corner of the Priv. Guy on the video opened the slid and tried some twisting pressure to fix the clicking problem. I tried the twisting move and fixed the slid and now it slides smoothly. turned the phone off and on and it seams that every thing is ok.
    Now that I think, today I put a little pressure on the phone by putting it in my back pocket and sitting on it! Probably that is te reason the problem came back. And also I noticed the problem for the first time after I gave my phone to my one year old daughter! So... There is my problem. This phone is a little sensetive to be seated on!
    Thanks for the tip. I haven't been able to use my Priv for months because of the same issue. It's out of warranty. I was going to try completely replacing the screen and digitizer, but I will try the slider fix first. Maybe it'll save me a couple of hundred bucks. 😉
    MGBob likes this.
    04-18-17 11:03 PM
    Good luck bro. For the record, after I twisted the slid to the left and right a bit, every thing got better. But the problem happened again. I decided to open up the phone and check the connections and sensors and the sliding mechanism. So I watched some more YouTube videos and did open the back cover to check the size on screws and things. Not having the right screw driver, I put the cover back in place and things got better ever since. In fact (KNOCK KNOCK KNOCKing on wood) I did not have the problem any more and the phone has been up for 6 days. I think what did the the job was all the force I put on screen and the slide while I was trying to open the back cover. I'm not suggesting to put pressure on the screen but evidences supports that it is some problem from the sliding mechanism. Maybe rails are bending or something like that.
    And I said in previous post that I tried the twisting move from a video about fixing the clicking sound on screen, my screen makes that clicking sound and I did not try to fix that problem. I mean you do not need to fix the clicking problem to get the touch problem fixed. After all I do not care about the clicking, as long as touch screen is working!
    FF22 likes this.
    04-19-17 02:46 AM
    Can you post which video in particular you watched? My Priv has been at the repair shop for a couple weeks now. It's worked for short spurts and I've been bringing it back afterwards.
    04-19-17 07:08 AM
    This is absolutely a hardware problem. I fought this issue with my Priv for months doing everything from factory resets to bootloader OS reinstalls and the problem always came back. At one point I thought I had solved it with "SOD Killer", which is an app that keeps Android from going into deep sleep, known as "Sleep Of Death", but ultimately the problem persisted.

It got so bad that I had no choice but to get a new phone (my Priv was out of warranty and there was no way that I was going to pay $275 to have it repaired) so I bought a DTEK60. It arrived just in time because as I was setting up the DTEK60 my Priv's screen stopped working for the last time. It is such a shame because I absolutely loved it. One of these days I'm going to tear it all the way down and build it back up to see if there was an intermittent connection in a ribbon cable somewhere or something similar.
    04-19-17 12:46 PM
    One of these days I'm going to tear it all the way down and build it back up to see if there was an intermittent connection in a ribbon cable somewhere or something similar.
    Can you elaborate on this further? The first time I gave my Priv to the repair guy (a couple weeks ago), he said something about a damaged "ribbon" and that he replaced it and everything was hunky dory for a couple days. A couple days later, the Priv went back to not waking up whether by touch or sliding. This lasted for maybe just 10-15 minutes, so I took it back to him at lunch to verify whether everything he did was on the up and up. When I got it back that night everything looked good. I get on the train, happens again and I've been on my Classic ever since. I haven't checked in on the phone in a couple days but last time I was there he suspects a bad app (Mario? that was the only new app I installed) or OS build as the cause, hence I am waiting for the April update or Nougat update (whichever comes first) to either prove or disprove. Could he be right?

I have also pondered getting a cheap Priv for parts or maybe get a new Priv and have him replace its internal memory with mine. But not until the drastic drop in price once the KEYone comes out.

Either way I needed the KEYone since they officially showed it at MWC.
    04-19-17 03:09 PM
    Can you elaborate on this further? The first time I gave my Priv to the repair guy (a couple weeks ago), he said something about a damaged "ribbon" and that he replaced it and everything was hunky dory for a couple days. A couple days later, the Priv went back to not waking up whether by touch or sliding. This lasted for maybe just 10-15 minutes, so I took it back to him at lunch to verify whether everything he did was on the up and up. When I got it back that night everything looked good. I get on the train, happens again and I've been on my Classic ever since. I haven't checked in on the phone in a couple days but last time I was there he suspects a bad app (Mario? that was the only new app I installed) or OS build as the cause, hence I am waiting for the April update or Nougat update (whichever comes first) to either prove or disprove. Could he be right?

I have also pondered getting a cheap Priv for parts or maybe get a new Priv and have him replace its internal memory with mine. But not until the drastic drop in price once the KEYone comes out.

Either way I needed the KEYone since they officially showed it at MWC.
    Why take that risk. Just backup and/or copy manually items from Internal Memory to computer or sd-card and restore to the new phone why chance harming something on the new phone by moving parts around. If you establish the same google/bb/id, then apps will be restored.
    04-19-17 04:39 PM
    Why take that risk. Just backup and/or copy manually items from Internal Memory to computer or sd-card and restore to the new phone why chance harming something on the new phone by moving parts around. If you establish the same google/bb/id, then apps will be restored.
    I've already gotten 98% of my pictures since they were in the sd card. I'm trying to preserve my text messages, call logs etc in particular, some group messages I need which can't be replaced. A friend who died a year ago, probably got some texts on there from him. I also want my Priv functioning as it was so I can try to get my KEYone settings to duplicate them as close as possible. This is how I've done every phone change since the mid-2000s.
    04-19-17 04:50 PM
31 12