My mom got her Priv delivered from AT&T yesterday and should have had it working today. I cannot get her information over. I also have a Priv from Amazon coming today as well.

Figured I'd post the error messages I received and get some feedback or possible different solutions to get her data over. She's working until around 2PM so I will report back and probably ask for more help! Really appreciate this community for times like this :-)

So I downloaded the Content Transfer App on both her Passport and Priv and began transferring the data that way. She has a ton of pictures and every time we got to that point, I'd get an error stating "connection lost". I tried changing both phones to 2.4 then to 5. When I did this I didn't even see the Priv listed as "choose new device".

At that point, I figured we'd use Google Drive. Regardless of the Wifi network I was on it would, again, get to pictures and @ picture 93 I'd get a message asking if I want to continue using Mobile Data. She has unlimited so I click "continue" only for it to stall there for hours. I even turned off Wifi completely and I still got the same do you want to continue then stalled.

Did some research and saw that I could just download the Content Transfer App to her Passport, upload to Google Drive, then turn on the Priv and download it to the Priv (from what I understood).

I then attempted to upload everything, but unchecked pictures, videos, and music... that all worked. Then I tried to separately do them 3 and it would error out after about 100 pics. Ended up doing multiple factory resets and back to the beginning again. Basically, it's easy to get everything over, but maybe there is another way to transfer pics, vids, music?

She is at work using her Passport and I have no idea how to get her pictures or music to her Priv. I'm not at all familiar with Android. I know of course with BB10 we have the file manager and I wish I could just drag and drop to laptop then back to Priv, but the BB File Manager isn't on there.

Any help for those that have switched would be greatly appreciated.

PS - I'm also very excited to get the Priv myself today. Ordered Sunday night on Amazon and the delivery changed from Wednesday to today when I woke up this AM!

Posted via CB10
    11-17-15 08:56 AM
    Content Transfer App uses Google Drive to transfer, but you can also use a microSD card within the app as well. IMHO that's easier if you just want to transfer pictures and music over
    11-17-15 08:58 AM
    Content Transfer App uses Google Drive to transfer, but you can also use a microSD card within the app as well. IMHO that's easier if you just want to transfer pictures and music over
    I do not currently have a microSD card and we never had to use one. I'm not opposed to having to go buy one, but I really thought this would just be a simple transfer of everything. Haven't heard much issues on this forum and I'm assuming many here moved from BB10.

Thanks for offering another option though. Hopefully it doesn't come to having to go buy a microSD card when not really needed, but if I did get one I wouldn't know what to do with it. I guess I'll cross that bridge if I have to. Would like to get this set up for her by this evening... as well as my own device lol.

Posted via CB10
    11-17-15 09:07 AM
    I do not currently have a microSD card and we never had to use one. I'm not opposed to having to go buy one, but I really thought this would just be a simple transfer of everything. Haven't heard much issues on this forum and I'm assuming many here moved from BB10.

Thanks for offering another option though. Hopefully it doesn't come to having to go buy a microSD card when not really needed, but if I did get one I wouldn't know what to do with it. I guess I'll cross that bridge if I have to. Would like to get this set up for her by this evening... as well as my own device lol.

Posted via CB10
    Also, if you are trying over the Content Transfer App and it fails, go to Google Drive, clear out what it had tried to transfer there, then try just one thing at a time (like just pictures) and see how that goes. Wifi networks can unfortunately have a major affect on it.
    11-17-15 09:10 AM
    Also, if you are trying over the Content Transfer App and it fails, go to Google Drive, clear out what it had tried to transfer there, then try just one thing at a time (like just pictures) and see how that goes. Wifi networks can unfortunately have a major affect on it.
    Last night I was able to check off everything except pictures, videos, music and it all went through. Then I tried just clicking them 3 separately and kept getting do you want to continue data charges may apply. I click continue, but it stops right when the message come through.

Is there an easy way to just transfer the pictures and music differently to the Priv and I'd use the Content Transfer App for the rest. I'm just throwing out ideas and again appreciate the help.

Posted via CB10
    11-17-15 09:28 AM
    Last night I was able to check off everything except pictures, videos, music and it all went through. Then I tried just clicking them 3 separately and kept getting do you want to continue data charges may apply. I click continue, but it stops right when the message come through.

Is there an easy way to just transfer the pictures and music differently to the Priv and I'd use the Content Transfer App for the rest. I'm just throwing out ideas and again appreciate the help.

Posted via CB10
    Can you just use a computer then? Connect both to your computer, transfer her content to there and then onto her Priv? Both would just be drag and drop at this point.
    11-17-15 09:42 AM
    I would just use Windows Explorer, not Internet explorer, to copy the files to the pc and then to the Priv if you can, I don't have anything android so I'm not sure if that is possible.
    11-17-15 09:59 AM
    Yes I have a Windows laptop and don't mind at all transferring everything as it let me through the app, but use the laptop for the pictures and music.

On BB10 this is easy... I can just drag and drop pictures into a folder and music. How do I get them on the Priv though if I have to do it this way?

Not sure what an Android phone does or where to drop the folders into when connected to a computer?

Posted via CB10
    11-17-15 10:54 AM
    Yes I have a Windows laptop and don't mind at all transferring everything as it let me through the app, but use the laptop for the pictures and music.

On BB10 this is easy... I can just drag and drop pictures into a folder and music. How do I get them on the Priv though if I have to do it this way?

Not sure what an Android phone does or where to drop the folders into when connected to a computer?

Posted via CB10
    Android just sets it up as an MTP device, so if you're using a Windows laptop, go to my Computer. In the left hand pane there should be one (if you haven't changed the device name) That says something like BlackBerry STV100-x (depending on variant). If there's a password on it you'll have to unlock the device, but otherwise it's just drag and drop
    11-17-15 11:02 AM
    So I connected her Priv to the laptop and clicked on Computer and it shows "BlackBerry STV100-1" as a Portable Media Player. I click that and it's completely empty (no folders, nothing).

Would I just drag all music and pictures and drop them there? Where do the pictures and music end up? Should I drag a folder of pictures and a folder of music or just drag the pictures and music files only and drop them there?

Sorry just confused as if I were to do the same with her Passport I would have a separate folder for pictures, music, etc to drop them into on the laptop.

Posted via CB10
    11-17-15 11:13 AM
    So I connected her Priv to the laptop and clicked on Computer and it shows "BlackBerry STV100-1" as a Portable Media Player. I click that and it's completely empty (no folders, nothing).

Would I just drag all music and pictures and drop them there? Where do the pictures and music end up? Should I drag a folder of pictures and a folder of music or just drag the pictures and music files only and drop them there?

Sorry just confused as if I were to do the same with her Passport I would have a separate folder for pictures, music, etc to drop them into on the laptop.

Posted via CB10
    You can create folders on there. I'm guessing since there's nothing there (and it hasn't really been used) no folders have been set up.

Yes, just drag all your music and pictures. You can set it up really anyway you want. You can even make the same folder structure as it would be on BB10.

Default on the system will be in Google Music and Photos. They'll appear in those apps but you can of course change to a different app for both if you so choose.
    11-17-15 11:20 AM
    Thank you for the help.

So I can essentially not even create a folder and just drag all of the pictures to the device and do the same with her songs and they'll automatically show up in Google Pictures or Music? Or would it be better to add a Pictures and Music folder as not to cause chaos later?

Appreciate the help so far. Will be re-trying shortly so seems like I'll transfer everything via Google Drive except the pictures and songs which were causing errors then drop them in and device should be ready to activate and I can finally give the phone to her!?

Posted via CB10
    11-17-15 11:46 AM
    You can have it an archaic mess on there if you like, or you can organize it. It's totally up to you
    11-17-15 11:49 AM
    I wouldn't even bother with google drive unless you have to for android.

You can also use it as a network device. On the phone go into settings, storage and access, turn on access using wifi, It will ask for a password - put in the one you want. Use windows file explorer and click on network, if your phone isn't listed refresh it. The first time you click on it, it will ask for a user name and password. The user name is blackberry and the password will be the one you chose. You can click on don't ask again.

Then you can drag the folders to your pc anywhere you want them. Then copy them to the Priv, if possible, I don't have anything android to know if it works that way with it.
    11-17-15 11:53 AM
    You can have it an archaic mess on there if you like, or you can organize it. It's totally up to you
    Looking through this thread, I'm going to have to say thank you for real for taking the time to kinda walk me through this.

I'll report back on how it all goes. Seems like I have a working idea of how to get everything transferred at this point.

Posted via CB10
    dietertong likes this.
    11-17-15 12:04 PM
    I wouldn't even bother with google drive unless you have to for android.

You can also use it as a network device. On the phone go into settings, storage and access, turn on access using wifi, It will ask for a password - put in the one you want. Use windows file explorer and click on network, if your phone isn't listed refresh it. The first time you click on it, it will ask for a user name and password. The user name is blackberry and the password will be the one you chose. You can click on don't ask again.

Then you can drag the folders to your pc anywhere you want them. Then copy them to the Priv, if possible, I don't have anything android to know if it works that way with it.
    I don't think you have to use Google Drive, but it was able to transfer everything without error messages except for her pictures and music.

As for Windows File Explorer, I've never used it. I'm assuming you are saying to just avoid the transfer app altogether and drag and drop everything from the BlackBerry to Windows then to the Priv. Not sure if that would add her contacts, 5,000+ SMS, etc.

Really just looking for the easiest way to get this done. Felt bad last night I couldn't get it done. I haven't heard anyone complaining about the transfer app so assumed it would be one shot and done.

Posted via CB10
    11-17-15 12:09 PM
    I don't think you have to use Google Drive, but it was able to transfer everything without error messages except for her pictures and music.

As for Windows File Explorer, I've never used it. I'm assuming you are saying to just avoid the transfer app altogether and drag and drop everything from the BlackBerry to Windows then to the Priv. Not sure if that would add her contacts, 5,000+ SMS, etc.

Really just looking for the easiest way to get this done. Felt bad last night I couldn't get it done. I haven't heard anyone complaining about the transfer app so assumed it would be one shot and done.

Posted via CB10
    Yes. I thought they said the music and pictures were the things not transferring.
    11-17-15 12:21 PM
    Yes. I thought they said the music and pictures were the things not transferring.
    Yup, they were the two I was having difficulty with. Thanks. Working on everything now!

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    11-17-15 01:20 PM
    Yup, they were the two I was having difficulty with. Thanks. Working on everything now!

Posted via CB10
    Good luck. Or you finished and all is good?
    11-17-15 01:27 PM
    Finished, I think. When I click Google photos, I have to go into a different folder to see the old photos and it says no photos, but they are just in another folder. Same with the music.

More importantly, the transfer app transferred 7000+ SMS, then I just sent her another one and tried to compose one from the hub, but the texts aren't showing up at all in her hub? Any thoughts?

Thank you, thank you!

Posted via CB10
    11-17-15 02:39 PM