Do I need to ditch bberry?
    I love my PRIV but it seems that twice a year or so it goes haywire. I unplug from charging and it's instantly at like 93% by 12 in the afternoon it's at like 50%

It gets super hot in seconds.

SLOW AF! Holy hell, it's slow.

What am I doing wrong? Are there things running that I don't know about? In plain non techy English can someone tell me what I need to do?

Tell me like I'm a five year old.
    liddonfew likes this.
    05-26-19 10:04 AM
    same here.

i wonder if it is because the OS is not getting any updates, while the apps do... and maybe the OS is getting behind in dealing with those apps that are updated to work better on more recent OSs?
    The issue has to do with the overall internals. The device was a termed handwarmer at time of production. There’s all kinds of threads detailing the problems from back then.

The erratic behavior gets worse as the battery gets older and naturally degrades from recharging and reuse. It’s probably time for battery replacement or economically, device replacement anyway.
    unfortunately the Priv was equipped with one of Qualcomm's worst processors (Snapdragon 808). They are known for overheating which slows every thing down. 3 GB of ram will not help with multi tasking also. some people have disabled the BlackBerry Hub or tuned display resolution to speed phone up.

My Priv will not read SD card anymore... I sure miss the beautiful design. using Motion now...waiting for next BlackBerry Mobile phone.

Good luck...
    Erica Melone and Roon_zawy like this.
    05-26-19 11:05 AM
    You probably have to many apps running in the background, although you haven't opened the App, it will operate in the background so that when you do click on the App it will load faster. App like the weather App are constantly updating.

The other may be that you have a battery virus on your phone. It like a little glitch that was linked to something that you had download. You will need a virus scan done but your just better off to factory reset the phone and reload your contacts and email accounts. I had to do this twice ad I used the phone to download torrents.

Try the apps first though, go to the battery management centre on the phone and see how many apps are using battery life and how much then turn off the permissions to the apps that you don't care to need to have instant updated information uploading all of the time. Or even try and turn all them off and just open them as you need them, then see if you can tolerate just uploading the information as needed.
    Erica Melone likes this.
    05-26-19 11:12 AM
    My PRIV is 3.5 years old. I find it will slow down after using it for a while and then I do a hard reboot. This is not a factory reset so it is easier to do periodically. First make sure you have charged it enough so there is plenty of battery life, as the process (at least for my PRIV uses extra battery life). Do this at a time when you have 20 minutes or so. Then do the following: It is done by holding down the start key for 32+ seconds. (Make sure it is at least 32 seconds). Ignore when it comes with prompts and keep holding it down through when it wants to start. It cycles through this a few times. After the time is up, release it and let it begin the start cycle. After a bit, it will need you to unlock it (mine makes a ticking sound at this point) and then it will continue to boot up. You will need to let it continue the cycle after that. After you unlock it again you may need to let it sit for a bit to load everything again. Sometimes mine will say "no sim card or loading at this point. Give it time to settle.
    The getting rid of apps that you don't need and bog down the system is also a help. That said, I really need the hub so I wouldn't think of disabling it. I have found that some weather apps, such as AccuWeather can bog down things. Some are better than others. If you use the Facebook app, it can bog things down.
    Using Google Maps on the Priv can cause problems too.
    Erica Melone likes this.
    05-26-19 11:49 AM
    First thing to do is enable developer options by going into phone settings and then "About Phone" and tapping "Build Number" 8 times until it tells you that you've become a developer.
    Then, back out of there and you'll see developer options at the bottom.
    Go in there and scroll down to the three animation settings which will all be on "1x".
    Tap each of them and lower them to "0.5x".
    Then, go back out and into "Storage" and wait for the "cached data" to load. Most likely there will be at least 1gb of cached data.
    Simply tap it to clear it and wait a few seconds.
    After this, you should see an immediate performance gain.

Let us know how these tips worked out for you, but remember, the Priv's 808 processor is notoriously known for being slow and heating up.
    If you plan on upgrading soon, I highly highly recommend you take a look at the KEY2 LE if within your budget.
    If not, go for a KEYone Black Edition.

Edit: Here are all my tips and tricks that I posted in another thread. I know this device by heart and owned 5 of them.

Here are tips and tricks to maximize battery life on the Priv

-Lower the resolution with adb to 1080x1920 (see here /blackberry-priv-f440/howto-reduce-screen-resolution-preserve-battery-life-enhance-framrate-1093326/ )

-Keep Bluetooth/WiFi and scanning OFF unless in use

-Disable all BB Hub+ and the other BlackBerry apps

-Disable ALL the Google apps that you don't actively use, especially the "Google" one. I would use Google Keep, Google Contacts and Google Calendar, those are not resource hogs

-Avoid using Google Maps or do any navigation unless necessary

-Don't play any game that requires more GPU power than a simple 2D game like candy crush

-Don't use the Full Facebook or Messenger app, use Facebook Lite and Messenger Lite instead

-Keep the brightness at 50% unless necessary

-Enable power saving mode all day

-Connect the phone to a Wi-Fi especially when signal is weak
    Sigewif, Erica Melone and sesp9 like this.
    05-26-19 11:50 AM
    Hello.. I use my PRIV daily alongside my KEY2. Love the screen and overall form factor of PRIV.
    Now yes sometimes mine slows down but quickly clear without issues.. and yes running HUB and HUB suite apps perfectly fine. But have the applied the following and working great:

1: Install a task manager app. See screen shot. Once installed with 1 quick press you close all open apps running in background. Its a Kill all feature and thus release memory.
    have attached screen shot from PlayStore of task manager I'm using.
    Runs great on Marshmallow which last OS PRIV has.

2: regularly go to settings, storage & usb, internal storage, select cached data. I do this process every other day.

This frees up a lot for memory.

3: also every 2 weeks or so. Hold power button during 32 seconds and let PRIV thru reset cycles ...and then let go power button and let it reboot fully.

4: For Facebook I use Facebook lite. Works fine. For Instagram removed the app and just use browser.

5: yes keep screen brightness at 50%. also disabled vibration on any app. Location only turn ON when needed.

7: Go thru app list and uninstall any apps you don't use.

Good luck
    HELP! Priv drains and overheats and is SLOW AF! Why does this keep happening?-screenshot_20190526-205925.jpeg
    Sigewif and Erica Melone like this.
    05-26-19 02:31 PM
    First thing to do is enable developer options by going into phone settings and then "About Phone" and tapping "Build Number" 8 times until it tells you that you've become a developer.
    Then, back out of there and you'll see developer options at the bottom.
    Go in there and scroll down to the three animation settings which will all be on "1x".
    Tap each of them and lower them to "0.5x".
    Then, go back out and into "Storage" and wait for the "cached data" to load. Most likely there will be at least 1gb of cached data.
    Simply tap it to clear it and wait a few seconds.
    After this, you should see an immediate performance gain.

Let us know how these tips worked out for you, but remember, the Priv's 808 processor is notoriously known for being slow and heating up.
    If you plan on upgrading soon, I highly highly recommend you take a look at the KEY2 LE if within your budget.
    If not, go for a KEYone Black Edition.

Edit: Here are all my tips and tricks that I posted in another thread. I know this device by heart and owned 5 of them.

Here are tips and tricks to maximize battery life on the Priv

-Lower the resolution with adb to 1080x1920 (see here /blackberry-priv-f440/howto-reduce-screen-resolution-preserve-battery-life-enhance-framrate-1093326/ )

-Keep Bluetooth/WiFi and scanning OFF unless in use

-Disable all BB Hub+ and the other BlackBerry apps

-Disable ALL the Google apps that you don't actively use, especially the "Google" one. I would use Google Keep, Google Contacts and Google Calendar, those are not resource hogs

-Avoid using Google Maps or do any navigation unless necessary

-Don't play any game that requires more GPU power than a simple 2D game like candy crush

-Don't use the Full Facebook or Messenger app, use Facebook Lite and Messenger Lite instead

-Keep the brightness at 50% unless necessary

-Enable power saving mode all day

-Connect the phone to a Wi-Fi especially when signal is weak
    Man, thanks so much. I was so sad that my priv was running like a turtle in the last 4 months and didnt know why. Did all what you said and the thing is super smooth, factory like...

Just one thing, the animations i put them on straight 0.... Not even 0.5

They are gone but i dont mind, the positive is that mi priv is back to being smooth like the beggining.

Thank you so much
    Erica Melone and so crow like this.
    06-04-19 02:36 PM
    Man, thanks so much. I was so sad that my priv was running like a turtle in the last 4 months and didnt know why. Did all what you said and the thing is super smooth, factory like...

Just one thing, the animations i put them on straight 0.... Not even 0.5

They are gone but i dont mind, the positive is that mi priv is back to being smooth like the beggining.

Thank you so much
    No problem!

So smoothness is improved, but how's battery life?
    Erica Melone likes this.
    06-05-19 06:51 PM
    No problem!

So smoothness is improved, but how's battery life?
    My Battery liFe has always been cack. I use it too much maybe

I unplug it at 7 am, and by midday is around 35% if i used it heavily, which i do.

I always have a charger in hand anyways.
    06-06-19 12:01 AM
    this just started happening for me as well. for ex: unplugged it around 1 am at 100%, went to sleep, got up at 530 am and it was at 71%. I've been getting 3-4 hrs screen on time, which is pretty bad but not abysmal (Michael Fisher from Mr Mobile posted his Nokia 9 review where at 9% he got less than 3.5 hrs of screen time). But recently I can't even reach 2 hrs total. As I type this, I had 55% left w/ 47 min of screen on time. Deleted reg fb, which would sometimes have 25% or more battery drain (screen would be next, at like 7%, which should never happen - it's not possible under normal circumstances for an app, almost any app, to exceed screen use). But I'm afraid to try the resolution trick in case I mess something up and brick the phone. I think 3+ years and just a lack of software support is finally catching up to this beloved Priv. I mean we're talking I'd probably not even make it through a Netflix movie before I had to plug it in again, while my keyone easily gets 6-7 hrs screen on time
    Last edited by Exedorable; 06-06-19 at 09:05 AM.
    06-06-19 08:45 AM
    this just started happening for me as well. for ex: unplugged it around 1 am at 100%, went to sleep, got up at 530 am and it was at 71%. I've been getting 3-4 hrs screen on time, which is pretty bad but not abysmal (Michael Fisher from Mr Mobile posted his Nokia 9 review where at 9% he got less than 3.5 hrs of screen time). But recently I can't even reach 2 hrs total. As I type this, I had 55% left w/ 47 min of screen on time. Deleted reg fb, which would sometimes have 25% or more battery drain (screen would be next, at like 7%, which should never happen - it's not possible under normal circumstances for an app, almost any app, to exceed screen use). But I'm afraid to try the resolution trick in case I mess something up and brick the phone. I think 3+ years and just a lack of software support is finally catching up to this beloved Priv. I mean we're talking I'd probably not even make it through a Netflix movie before I had to plug it in again, while my keyone easily gets 6-7 hrs screen on time
    Read my post above (post #5 ) and let us know how the battery life is after.
    06-06-19 10:31 AM
    Yeah aside from the resolution workaround I've done virtually all of those, or various combinations. Hesitant to try resolution fix as some report no real improvement/bugs/but mainly what if I brick the phone. I only kept fb msgr (have fb lite, turned off Google, etc) but that's never even near the top of the battery drain list. Surprisingly, putting battery saver usually maintains great standby, tho it doesn't ever let me exceed 4 hrs total screen on time - but even that doesn't help w/ these erratic drain instances. I've unplugged from the charger at 100%, immediately put on battery saver mode, gone to sleep and 5 hrs later I'd lose 20% or even more (usually overnight I'd lose 2-4% on a reg basis, even w/ out battery saver mode being turned on). Almost any setting I have is either on the low frequency end (push notifs cycle every 2+ hrs instead of every 15-30min) or on battery saving setting (like location or Wifi search). My main gripe w/ battery saver mode is it makes the phone feel kind of broken, it turns off all animations so all kinds of apps are jarring and abrupt (I know some like the snappiness, but I do x0.5 scale at the most), and you get that orange bar at the top, and I miss all kinds of notifs (from email to social media) as well as other functions like no vibration motor during many processes. Like when I hold a key down to speed dial a contact, the phone vibes a bit to give me feedback that it's dialing. Just feels like the phone is not working properly in battery save mode (but mainly, as I said, the drain issues continue). I love my keyone but I looove this Priv, just trying not to face the fact that it may not be usable at some near point in the future. My keyone is already becoming more of a primary daily driver, it's just the eye fatigue from watching video is a bit of a bummer. Also update, after another charge cycle up to 100% in the car, I'm now looking at 54% remaining w/ 59 min of screen use. I did play some Bluetooth audio this morning when I got to work, but still this is unusually low. I'm starting to feel like a friend of mine w/ an old iPhone 6 who basically had to plug it in every time he was around a charger (grrr!)
    06-06-19 12:23 PM
    Yeah aside from the resolution workaround I've done virtually all of those, or various combinations. Hesitant to try resolution fix as some report no real improvement/bugs/but mainly what if I brick the phone. I only kept fb msgr (have fb lite, turned off Google, etc) but that's never even near the top of the battery drain list. Surprisingly, putting battery saver usually maintains great standby, tho it doesn't ever let me exceed 4 hrs total screen on time - but even that doesn't help w/ these erratic drain instances. I've unplugged from the charger at 100%, immediately put on battery saver mode, gone to sleep and 5 hrs later I'd lose 20% or even more (usually overnight I'd lose 2-4% on a reg basis, even w/ out battery saver mode being turned on). Almost any setting I have is either on the low frequency end (push notifs cycle every 2+ hrs instead of every 15-30min) or on battery saving setting (like location or Wifi search). My main gripe w/ battery saver mode is it makes the phone feel kind of broken, it turns off all animations so all kinds of apps are jarring and abrupt (I know some like the snappiness, but I do x0.5 scale at the most), and you get that orange bar at the top, and I miss all kinds of notifs (from email to social media) as well as other functions like no vibration motor during many processes. Like when I hold a key down to speed dial a contact, the phone vibes a bit to give me feedback that it's dialing. Just feels like the phone is not working properly in battery save mode (but mainly, as I said, the drain issues continue). I love my keyone but I looove this Priv, just trying not to face the fact that it may not be usable at some near point in the future. My keyone is already becoming more of a primary daily driver, it's just the eye fatigue from watching video is a bit of a bummer. Also update, after another charge cycle up to 100% in the car, I'm now looking at 54% remaining w/ 59 min of screen use. I did play some Bluetooth audio this morning when I got to work, but still this is unusually low. I'm starting to feel like a friend of mine w/ an old iPhone 6 who basically had to plug it in every time he was around a charger (grrr!)
    If your Priv is losing 20% of battery in 5 hours while in airplane mode and power saving mode, then i think you may have a rogue app that's killing your battery.

What does it show as the primary drain in the battery stats ?
    Is it "screen"? Is it "Android OS"? Or something else ?
    06-06-19 01:18 PM
    the culprit most recently has been a specific app (like fb or Netflix) which far exceeds "screen" and is sometimes in the lead even if I never use the app at all (had to reinstall Netflix multiple times for this specifically). After getting rid of Google and fb it's been Android OS or Cell Standby, often, tho notably even fb lite or sms apps have done this to me as well. At the beginning, typically during the first several %, it will say battery/app info unavailable - like today until it got down to about 91% all it said was projected 1hr 47min remaining. Currently: 48% remaining w/ 1hr 31min screen time, might just make it to 3 hrs by day's end, which is pretty good for me nowadays; sad to say. Now that you mention it, I haven't tried airplane mode, I'll give it a shot tonight
    06-06-19 03:18 PM
    it was built that way on purpose...
    06-06-19 06:35 PM
    Yeah aside from the resolution workaround I've done virtually all of those, or various combinations. Hesitant to try resolution fix as some report no real improvement/bugs/but mainly what if I brick the phone.
    While probably nobody will be willing to give you a guarantee, it is pretty safe.
    That said, you're right. I tried it on 2 different occasions and found no apparent increase in SoT. Of course, my tests were not scientific, so YMMV.
    06-07-19 02:55 PM
    If your Priv is losing 20% of battery in 5 hours while in airplane mode and power saving mode, then i think you may have a rogue app that's killing your battery.

What does it show as the primary drain in the battery stats ?
    Is it "screen"? Is it "Android OS"? Or something else ?
    I discovered that clearing cache regularly and using a task manager ( posted here a screenshot of the one I use) to kill background process / apps has been very effective. All this combined with 40% screen brightness, no location, no installed apps ( IG and Facebook) ...and yes changing animation to 0.5. But did not touch screen resolution. Has given my PRIV..life..3 years later from June 2016 when I got it.
    06-07-19 03:20 PM
    Clearing cache def helps smooth things out, tho here's what I have to report on when trying airplane mode 2 days ago: charged phone fully to 100% in airplane mode, took off the charger at 230am and *immediately* turned on battery saver mode. Got up at 7am to a battery level of 65%, turned off wifi and in frustration swapped the SIM into my keyone. Came home after work at around 630pm that night and it was at 64%. Had a very good day previous to this, w/ very stable drain and about 3.5 hrs total screen time.
    06-09-19 02:39 PM
    @the_boon in that specific example, w/ 65% remaining, I had battery loss to the following:
    - Mediaserver 2%
    - Phone idle 2%
    - Android OS 1%
    - Cell standby 1%
    - Google play services 1%

though none of the details of these reflected the actual drain, for ex Mediaserver (which can absolutely malfunction, but hadn't in a very long time) had keep awake time of like 45 sec and power use of like 27 mAh, and the rest were very similar
    06-09-19 04:07 PM
    you just now noticed?
    06-09-19 05:13 PM

HELP! Priv drains and overheats and is SLOW AF! Why does this keep happening?
    Because it’s a PRIV....

Next question........

Good luck though...
    06-09-19 05:14 PM
    Some days are pretty good tho: right now I'm at 51% and screen has been on 2hrs 13min, which there's been many days when that's the screen time I'd get w/ 2% left. Like I said, this drain issue is quite erratic
    06-10-19 04:10 PM
    same here.

i wonder if it is because the OS is not getting any updates, while the apps do... and maybe the OS is getting behind in dealing with those apps that are updated to work better on more recent OSs?
    06-11-19 08:03 PM
    same here.

I do find thar when I am updating apps, it drains the battery. I have auto update turned off and then update them when I can monitor the updates. I also don't update them all at once when I do it, but a few at a time. Too many at once tends to cause my Priv to get too warm.
    06-11-19 10:35 PM
    same here.

The issue has to do with the overall internals. The device was a termed handwarmer at time of production. There’s all kinds of threads detailing the problems from back then.

The erratic behavior gets worse as the battery gets older and naturally degrades from recharging and reuse. It’s probably time for battery replacement or economically, device replacement anyway.
    06-12-19 07:11 AM
67 123