The issue has to do with the overall internals. The device was a termed handwarmer at time of production. There’s all kinds of threads detailing the problems from back then.

The erratic behavior gets worse as the battery gets older and naturally degrades from recharging and reuse. It’s probably time for battery replacement or economically, device replacement anyway.
    Yeah it's a bit tricky to push this phone's endurance to the max of its potential.
    I did all the optimizations in the book and for some reason, "Android OS" is quite up there whenever the phone is not on Wi-Fi.
    06-12-19 09:19 AM
    The issue has to do with the overall internals. The device was a termed handwarmer at time of production. There’s all kinds of threads detailing the problems from back then.

The erratic behavior gets worse as the battery gets older and naturally degrades from recharging and reuse. It’s probably time for battery replacement or economically, device replacement anyway.
    Yeh i guess its time. The problem is that i dont find any good device that can top my priv in all checkmarks: screensize, physical slider keyboard.

Modern phones ar way faster, way better, but lack PKB. The phone with the landscape keyboard i dont like, the key1 is not a slider so less screen. So im at a dead end and dont know what to do.

Anyways.... After my last post yestarday, i was annoyed that the phone was super hot everyday, it had a week in that state and getting battery drained and with performance stuttering, like a lot of stuttering...
    What i did was to download AVG antivirus and above all AVG cleaner... i did a lenghty clean of all the junk i had in the cellphone since long time ago, and it seems the phone came back to its normal state again. Is not hot anymore and the battery drain came back to normal.

Dont know what was the issue... maybe the ram was so compromised that the crappy processor was kicking the bucket? I dont know.... But the cleaning did the trick... for now.
    06-12-19 10:21 AM
    Yeh i guess its time. The problem is that i dont find any good device that can top my priv in all checkmarks: screensize, physical slider keyboard.

Modern phones ar way faster, way better, but lack PKB. The phone with the landscape keyboard i dont like, the key1 is not a slider so less screen. So im at a dead end and dont know what to do.

Anyways.... After my last post yestarday, i was annoyed that the phone was super hot everyday, it had a week in that state and getting battery drained and with performance stuttering, like a lot of stuttering...
    What i did was to download AVG antivirus and above all AVG cleaner... i did a lenghty clean of all the junk i had in the cellphone since long time ago, and it seems the phone came back to its normal state again. Is not hot anymore and the battery drain came back to normal.

Dont know what was the issue... maybe the ram was so compromised that the crappy processor was kicking the bucket? I dont know.... But the cleaning did the trick... for now.
    This is why to me, the Priv's battery life and performance are not worth the extra 0.9" of screen real estate, even being a Samsung-grade AMOLED.

I'll take the 4.5" LCD with the consistent 5.5 - 6 hours of SOT.

Now if the BBJ100 (maybe KEY3) can bring a 4.8" - 5" AMOLED, then that would be all the more reason not to stick with the Priv in 2020
    06-12-19 03:09 PM
    There's quite a few perks the priv has that make me drag about giving it up:
    - feels great to hold cuz of the softer material, to my surprise I found many other phones cut into my pinky w/ their usb-c ports, speaker grilles, sharper edges, etc
    - most comfortable for calls when extended, perfect height from chin to earpiece and great balance
    - very satisfying when I slide-open-to-answer
    - and equally satisfying when I snap to close
    - the resolution (qhd 4k) is quite sharp, easily tell the difference between my g5+ (hd+ 1080p), and when I got a moto g7 power (hd 720p) a couple months ago, the pixelation was actually jarring
    - some of my fav shortcuts, like swipe shortcuts from the home button, and laying it facedown to put to sleep (if you pick it up w/ in 20 to 30 sec it will wake back up)
    - grippy back doesn't slide on all kinds of surfaces, less moving around in the car etc, and you can hold it almost completely vertically before it slips from your hand (keyone etc have that metal surround)
    - front facing speaker is decent quality and I don't muffle it w/ my palm when on YouT etc
    - I still consider this my fav keyboard, I find it the perf combo of soft + clicky, and the smaller keys make it feel roomy (tho as I might have mentioned earlier, if you don't think a key2 has the best pkb they've ever made, it can only be because you haven't tried one yet)
    - one thing to also remember is that opening the slider serves more functions than just revealing the pkb, for ex I often wake the phone like this (especially if I'm about to dial) as opposed to hitting the power button or double tapping; also another benefit of having the slider open is that your nav buttons are way higher than their usual near-the-bottom position, which is another thing I love about my keyone: hitting the back button is so much easier than reaching all the way down in the lower corner like you have to on other phones

Sorry for the rant lol, as you can tell I really don't want to give this baby up! #sniffles
    06-12-19 08:14 PM
    Has anyone tried changing the battery on the Priv? Is it possible and does not damage the phone?
    06-12-19 11:55 PM
    Has anyone tried changing the battery on the Priv? Is it possible and does not damage the phone?
    I changed the battery on my Privs several times, it's not difficult at all.
    There are a few tutorials on YouTube I believe, including one from JerryRigEverything.
    06-13-19 11:15 AM
    There's quite a few perks the priv has that make me drag about giving it up:
    - feels great to hold cuz of the softer material, to my surprise I found many other phones cut into my pinky w/ their usb-c ports, speaker grilles, sharper edges, etc
    - most comfortable for calls when extended, perfect height from chin to earpiece and great balance
    - very satisfying when I slide-open-to-answer
    - and equally satisfying when I snap to close
    - the resolution (qhd 4k) is quite sharp, easily tell the difference between my g5+ (hd+ 1080p), and when I got a moto g7 power (hd 720p) a couple months ago, the pixelation was actually jarring
    - some of my fav shortcuts, like swipe shortcuts from the home button, and laying it facedown to put to sleep (if you pick it up w/ in 20 to 30 sec it will wake back up)
    - grippy back doesn't slide on all kinds of surfaces, less moving around in the car etc, and you can hold it almost completely vertically before it slips from your hand (keyone etc have that metal surround)
    - front facing speaker is decent quality and I don't muffle it w/ my palm when on YouT etc
    - I still consider this my fav keyboard, I find it the perf combo of soft + clicky, and the smaller keys make it feel roomy (tho as I might have mentioned earlier, if you don't think a key2 has the best pkb they've ever made, it can only be because you haven't tried one yet)
    - one thing to also remember is that opening the slider serves more functions than just revealing the pkb, for ex I often wake the phone like this (especially if I'm about to dial) as opposed to hitting the power button or double tapping; also another benefit of having the slider open is that your nav buttons are way higher than their usual near-the-bottom position, which is another thing I love about my keyone: hitting the back button is so much easier than reaching all the way down in the lower corner like you have to on other phones

Sorry for the rant lol, as you can tell I really don't want to give this baby up! #sniffles
    A-h-h-h the PRIV, I feel the same way about it as you. I use it as a 2nd phone and love using it still, for your reasons and others. I have had it since release.
    Exedorable likes this.
    06-13-19 05:16 PM
    A-h-h-h the PRIV, I feel the same way about it as you. I use it as a 2nd phone and love using it still, for your reasons and others. I have had it since release.
    If you take the time to optimize the Priv like how I and others have explained here, and use it solely on Wi-Fi, it can actually achieve some pretty impressive battery life.

5.5 - 6 hours achievable
    Rico4you likes this.
    06-13-19 05:40 PM
    Do I need to ditch bberry?
    I love my PRIV but it seems that twice a year or so it goes haywire. I unplug from charging and it's instantly at like 93% by 12 in the afternoon it's at like 50%

It gets super hot in seconds.

SLOW AF! Holy hell, it's slow.

What am I doing wrong? Are there things running that I don't know about? In plain non techy English can someone tell me what I need to do?

Tell me like I'm a five year old.
    Poor hardware design and software implementation, that's all.
    06-13-19 10:05 PM
    unfortunately the Priv was equipped with one of Qualcomm's worst processors (Snapdragon 808). They are known for overheating which slows every thing down. 3 GB of ram will not help with multi tasking also. some people have disabled the BlackBerry Hub or tuned display resolution to speed phone up.

My Priv will not read SD card anymore... I sure miss the beautiful design. using Motion now...waiting for next BlackBerry Mobile phone.

Good luck...
    SD810 was supposed to be the worst (overheating) flagship chip from qualcomm, and SD808 was released to solve that, yet it's still buggy af.
    06-13-19 10:07 PM
    Poor hardware design and software implementation, that's all.
    Or just poor processor choice
    06-13-19 10:12 PM
    I reduced screen resolution as recommended in forums (plenty of tutorials on this matter for Priv), and reduced screen brightness, and I increased battery life by a factor of 2.
    I haven't done any of these other tweaks because it hasn't been necessary. My Priv is 2.5 years old and on the original battery. I am averaging about 3 hrs. of on screen use per day, and I recharge at about 40 percent at the end of the day, since I reduced screen resolution. Before then, I was at less than 10 percent at the end of the day. It doesn't get hot unless I am using navigation. Navigation continues to be a hot battery drain.
    06-14-19 04:21 PM
    I reduced screen resolution as recommended in forums (plenty of tutorials on this matter for Priv), and reduced screen brightness, and I increased battery life by a factor of 2.
    I haven't done any of these other tweaks because it hasn't been necessary. My Priv is 2.5 years old and on the original battery. I am averaging about 3 hrs. of on screen use per day, and I recharge at about 40 percent at the end of the day, since I reduced screen resolution. Before then, I was at less than 10 percent at the end of the day. It doesn't get hot unless I am using navigation. Navigation continues to be a hot battery drain.
    3 hours of screen-on time isn't great, I'm sure you could get more than that with a brand new battery.

I did the swap myself several times, definitely one of the easiest phones to swap the battery on
    06-14-19 04:34 PM
    I'm gonna try the resolution fix tonight. Re-visiting all other saving tricks has helped smooth out standby time and narrowed the issue to spikes of drain immediately after charging. Battery Saving mode reduces this massive drain somewhat, to where it will lose 15-17% instead of 29-31% or more. Been able to get by w/ basically just 2 charges a day, since luckily my drive to work is a good 45+ min at the very least. That jumps me from 25-90% sometimes (on my f150 the quick charge 2.0 is on full blast). Sitting here just after 10pm w/ 20% left and a total of 1hr 11min screen time - def one of my worse days, but I did use Bluetooth music for a couple hrs
    06-14-19 10:13 PM
    3 hours of screen-on time isn't great
    So I've been trying to follow links between several threads that mention this workaround, but since I've been completely avoiding changing any system settings (even developer options is something I've left alone until last year) can I ask - is this resolution fix possible to do w/ out a computer? Just thru your phone?
    06-14-19 10:56 PM
    Update: got the resolution scaled down, but the ppi remains at 537. Initially it didn't seem to have any effect, but after several cycles of resetting ppi, rebooting shell, and repeating - I am getting the loading screen glitch that's been reported in the other threads (there are also minor icon issues, but totally acceptable) tho in geekbench the ppi remains at 537 (1080 resolution does show up). However, as I feared, lowering the screen res had little effect: I'm at 51% remaining w/ screen use of 1hr and 7min. I'll try a few rounds of scaling the ppi down, have a feeling that's diminishing the effect (if any) greatly
    06-15-19 02:27 PM
    Update: got the resolution scaled down, but the ppi remains at 537. Initially it didn't seem to have any effect, but after several cycles of resetting ppi, rebooting shell, and repeating - I am getting the loading screen glitch that's been reported in the other threads (there are also minor icon issues, but totally acceptable) tho in geekbench the ppi remains at 537 (1080 resolution does show up). However, as I feared, lowering the screen res had little effect: I'm at 51% remaining w/ screen use of 1hr and 7min. I'll try a few rounds of scaling the ppi down, have a feeling that's diminishing the effect (if any) greatly
    On all my Privs I always put 420ppi just like it says in the tutorial but strangely enough, on CPU-Z it did say something like 537ppi so I'm really not sure what it is.

Either way, every little bit helps with this tempered 808 processor.

Also, I would invest in a QC 3.0 car charger for the Priv as I believe that phone is compatible with 3.0, and apparently there is better heat management as opposed to 2.0.

Either way, the 808 processor does not like GPS navigation.
    06-15-19 08:45 PM
    A few weeks ago, my PRIV having the same problems as yours. Easily overheated, battery draining so fast even I'm not using it too often, it's often so damn slow just to open maps.
    Then I came with this idea. The factory data reset. I know that method is not counted as problem solver, at least for me. But after I did that and selectively installing only necessary apps, it feels lighter and the battery last more than before. Pretty much solved for me
    06-17-19 02:49 AM
    A few weeks ago, my PRIV having the same problems as yours. Easily overheated, battery draining so fast even I'm not using it too often, it's often so damn slow just to open maps.
    Then I came with this idea. The factory data reset. I know that method is not counted as problem solver, at least for me. But after I did that and selectively installing only necessary apps, it feels lighter and the battery last more than before. Pretty much solved for me
    You can do the reset as well, but I'm fairly confident that clearing the cache and Uninstaller a rogue app as well as applying the tips above would be just fine.
    06-17-19 07:32 AM
    What i did was to run avg antivirus and cleaner, and then uninstalled them. Also uninstalled a rogue app that i installed from a website, and i think it was also cuasing problems.

Now my phone came back to normal
    06-18-19 12:53 AM
    Im encountering the same scenario. Battery drains in seconds, overheats and is super slow
    I have had the priv for 3.5 yrs now and will surely miss it. I am waitin for key 3 but it doesnt look they are releasing it anytime now
    06-20-19 11:50 AM
    Im encountering the same scenario. Battery drains in seconds, overheats and is super slow
    I have had the priv for 3.5 yrs now and will surely miss it. I am waitin for key 3 but it doesnt look they are releasing it anytime now
    Did you clear the cache in Settings -> Storage ?
    06-20-19 02:07 PM
    Update: after the resolution fix had (surprisingly) no effect, I've narrowed the problem down to the Netflix app (even tho it doesn't even show up on the list of battery % used) and uninstalling it has given me back a more stable (roughly) 3.5 hrs again. Netflix is an app that misbehave before so I just had a hunch (there were days where w/ no use at all it would drain the battery 24%+, and screen would be next at like 7%) and on my worst days I'd finish w/ below 2hrs; my very worst was somn like 1hr 17min total screen on time from 100% down to 4%. The unusually high drain does occur sometimes, where I unplug the charger at 2am and by 7am I'm down to 87% or 79%, but I've now had at least as many days where I wake up to a 99-98%. And w/ 3.5 hrs I can feel like it's at least in the decent, functional territory - my benchmark for this feeling is Mr. Mobile's Nokia 9 review (basically flagship specs) on which he had 3hrs 24min w/ 9% remaining.

Netflix lol grrr (ಠ_ಠ)
    06-24-19 11:27 AM
    Update: after the resolution fix had (surprisingly) no effect, I've narrowed the problem down to the Netflix app (even tho it doesn't even show up on the list of battery % used) and uninstalling it has given me back a more stable (roughly) 3.5 hrs again. Netflix is an app that misbehave before so I just had a hunch (there were days where w/ no use at all it would drain the battery 24%+, and screen would be next at like 7%) and on my worst days I'd finish w/ below 2hrs; my very worst was somn like 1hr 17min total screen on time from 100% down to 4%. The unusually high drain does occur sometimes, where I unplug the charger at 2am and by 7am I'm down to 87% or 79%, but I've now had at least as many days where I wake up to a 99-98%. And w/ 3.5 hrs I can feel like it's at least in the decent, functional territory - my benchmark for this feeling is Mr. Mobile's Nokia 9 review (basically flagship specs) on which he had 3hrs 24min w/ 9% remaining.

Netflix lol grrr (ಠ_ಠ)
    That's the frustrating thing about the Priv!

It has the most beautiful display ever put on a Berry, a Samsung 5.4" AMOLED

... but you can't really take advantage of the damn thing because, well, because 808.
    06-24-19 01:15 PM
    Yeah it's def an abusive relationship lol. Tonight I've been doing a ton of music, compiling playlists and uploading/downloading tracks on wifi - currently sitting at 3 hrs 10 min screen time w/ 34% remaining. At this rate I might hit 4 hours or above before I plug it on the charger; a very good/rare day.
    06-26-19 01:50 AM
67 123